• « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Duke Nukem 3D: 20th Anniversary World Tour

User is offline   Ninety-Six 

View PostMusicallyInspired, on 15 February 2019 - 09:49 AM, said:

Alienz is fantastic.

One of these days I'm going to get off my butt and do a complete rerecording of the Duke3D soundtrack with guitars. Hulshult is probably already in the process of doing this considering his track record and more power to him, but I'd do something a little more broader ranged in terms of genre than just metal.

Keep us posted because I would love to hear that sort of take.

View PostMusicallyInspired, on 15 February 2019 - 07:32 AM, said:

I really like Whomp beta and ItsGreen.

I don't get why was itsgreen dropped. It's a very good track IMHO.

It's Green is really good, yeah. I'd imagine it was cut only because they couldn't find a place it would fit.

User is offline   MusicallyInspired 

• The Sarien Encounter

I get the sense that the Duke3D soundtrack was a lot more upbeat than it became. Not only was Whomp toned down and ItsGreen straight up cut, but Lee also stated on his FB discussion group that XPlasma was also a lot more lively than the ambient track it ultimately became. I wonder what that would have sounded like.

So anyway, it was clearly definitely a conscious decision to make the majority of the soundtrack and the tone of the game very moody and atmospheric.

This post has been edited by MusicallyInspired: 15 February 2019 - 12:30 PM

View PostNinety-Six, on 15 February 2019 - 12:20 PM, said:

It's Green is really good, yeah. I'd imagine it was cut only because they couldn't find a place it would fit.

I played Sweeney with it (my modified version actually). The track fits very well to that action packed level.

Sewer is something that can work with a moodier track like Gotham.

View PostMusicallyInspired, on 15 February 2019 - 12:30 PM, said:

So anyway, it was clearly definitely a conscious decision to make the majority of the soundtrack and the tone of the game very moody and atmospheric.

I believe the same. I just wish I knew how that conscious decision was reached.

View PostNancsi, on 15 February 2019 - 12:38 PM, said:

I played Sweeney with it (my modified version actually). The track fits very well to that action packed level.

Who knows? Maybe because Sweeney was cut, It's Green got dropped too (I mean I'm pretty sure the song is way older than that level but still).

User is offline   gemeaux333 

At least, the game have kept one of its promises : Shielding us from playing Nuclear Winter !

• The Sarien Encounter

I do love the recreated levels in Nuclear Winter from Episode 1. I love seeing alternate variations of the same levels.

But the opinion of the majority is in favor of World Tour, not Nuclear Winter !

Since this is still active I manage to play 2 full games of Duke Nukem World Tour MP on Xbox one and no this is not an April Fools Joke

World Tour didn't harm in any way, no more than Nuclear Winter, it was just far more ambitious in the end

You're wrong, there is no problem with level design in World Tour, that an upside of the game actually !

• The Sarien Encounter

What sort of problems were there with the WT maps? I had a great time with them...only played through them the one time, though.

The only problem I have with them that they were not connected.

User is offline   NightFright 

• The Truth is in here

I would also say they are quite a bit more linear. That and ofc the new "boss" totally sucks. As does the final map in general.

@Radar totally agree with you man, IMO World Tour ruined Duke. Although i found Amsterdam something toleratable, i couldn't stand London and Paris, i didn't even managed to find exit from London level, even with heavy cheating! As for Rome, it's nice average secret level. I also liked the design and new art used in Moscow level, though this is bit patrotic, as i am not fully Russian, but i am Slav and when i can read Cyrilic it makes me proud when used in level. As for final boss, it sucks. Golden gate, well i don't know what to say, Egypt is also bit frustating but interesting in same time. The leves from WT i do like the most are:

1. Russia, Moscow (though this opinion is based more on patriotic reasons)
2. Amsterdam
3. Rome
4. Egypt
5. Golden Gate

But seriouslt, if they wanted to make something with new content they could easily release expansion pack for Duke, rather than re-releasing it as totally enw game, lacking original official expansion packs and adding enw worthless final boss. Of course this is all my opinion.

User is offline   necroslut 

You guys are crazy. There was a lot of issues with World Tour, like it breaking compability with all mods, but the levels were very good.

User is offline   Hendricks266 

• Weaponized Autism

View PostRadar, on 03 April 2019 - 07:47 AM, said:

Imo that's not true. World Tour showed that after 20 years, the original level designers don't know how to make maps anymore. That's pretty damaging to Duke's legacy imo.

Are you sure it's the level designers, or the lack of any of the original game's direction and production oversight? See also: the new voices.

View Postnecroslut, on 03 April 2019 - 02:35 PM, said:

You guys are crazy. There was a lot of issues with World Tour, like it breaking compability with all mods, but the levels were very good.

Gearbox and Nerve do not get enough credit for shipping a duke3d.grp that allows all existing mods to be played in source ports just as if it were Atomic.

• The Sarien Encounter

Yeah, the final boss was garbage, but I cannot agree about the maps either. They weren't bad. Could have used more direction, sure. But you're talking like they were trash.

This post has been edited by MusicallyInspired: 03 April 2019 - 04:38 PM

View PostRadar, on 31 March 2019 - 12:35 PM, said:

Attacking Nuclear Winter unprovoked seems to be the cool thing. I played Nuclear Winter plenty of times when I was young. I knew it wasn't as good as the other expansions, but I still enjoyed it knowing it was an official expansion. I like it a lot more than Plug n Pray, and 20 years later World Tour is not that much better.

Are you kidding? World Tour (episode 5) is much better than the trainwreck that is NW. I had been critical with some of the levels, especially for having too modern and too overdetailed aesthetics, but other than boss level, all of them hold a pretty high quality, and as said so many times, two levels are already all time classics. Just compare that to NW and it's dreary leveldesign, recycled areas from episode 1 and Doom, nonsense puzzles, badly designed enemies, they aren't comparable. The WT port is indeed terrible, but the episode was more than just fine.

PnP is also much better imho, never got the hate for it ever since it was released for the PC. Yeah, it went downhill after Gates Motel, and has some annoying puzzles too, but it had something NW never had: actual leveldesign.

View PostRadar, on 03 April 2019 - 07:47 AM, said:

Imo that's not true. World Tour showed that after 20 years, the original level designers don't know how to make maps anymore. That's pretty damaging to Duke's legacy imo.

Allen Blum clearly has it, what the hell are you talking about?

View PostDuke Legacy, on 03 April 2019 - 11:28 AM, said:

The only problem I have with them that they were not connected.

There should have been two episodes. One for LL and one for Blum. LL maps together have a nice coherent feel with that more detailed look and a recreation of an old boss in the end. Blum maps felt standalone in comparison, they should have worked in a campaign style. Start in Frisco, continue to somewhere else, than Egypt, and finish it on the moon. The episode badly lacked another map like Mirage Barrage. It felt so lonely there.

But as standalone maps, they were outstanding, better than LL's maps.

This post has been edited by Nancsi: 04 April 2019 - 03:43 AM

Nuclear Winter was awesome, at least IMO, compared to some WT levels that try to copy high quality levels rather than using old school style. NW at least used old school style even at its original levels, as i don't count modfiifed L.A. Meltdown levels here. Not to mention that new enemies and weapons, even including boss, sucks. However i liked introduction to proper working Mini Overlord. WT had some nice ideas, in IMO it should have done more in classic style and with better boss. That is my opinion. I even found NW more enjoyable after all these years rather than WT. Though Russia and Rome are great maps IMO.

User is offline   ---- 

I found the campaign uninspired.

There were so many new things with fire in it, that it should have had the fire theme as story (World on Fire as title and the "story" being that the aliens couldn't conquer earth they are now trying to burn it). THen a lot more stuff with fire as gameplay elements around the world.

This post has been edited by fuegerstef: 04 April 2019 - 04:07 AM

• The Sarien Encounter

"The new voices" as in the popular opinion is that Jon St John didn't do too stellar of a job recording new and old lines for WT.

User is offline   necroslut 

The whole World Tour project clearly lacked direction, coherence and polish; not just the level designs. Blum and 'lord are level designers, not really game designers or producers, and there was seemingly noone at the helm. I guess that's what happens when you remove George. :lol:

I agree with Radar to an extent that NW is underrated and P'n'P is overrated. I'd still say P'n'P is better than NW by a fair but, but he's right about its directionlessness and I honestly found the DZ!II comparison fitting.

This post has been edited by necroslut: 04 April 2019 - 06:04 AM

View PostRadar, on 04 April 2019 - 04:36 AM, said:

I'm open to this theory if there's reason to believe so. What are "the new voices"?

Post #3194

As for Plug N Pray, my opinion is that it is a completely directionless episode. Level design just a step above Duke Zone II. It might be just as good as NW, but not better imo.

Post #3201, 2nd paragraph

If you disagree, that's fine. This is all subjective opinion. But that's my answer.

P.s. my downvote quota is up right now, but every downvote you give me will be equally matched. I don't know why you had to start that. Just because you disagree with someone doesn't mean you have to downvote everything they write. You should check to see if they put true substance and thought in their post, which I did.

It's not a simple disagreement, something like "the golden gate bridge level is filled with problems. It's supposed to be 1.7 miles long but Duke can run across it in like 4 seconds" simply qualifies in the objectively bad post category.

Do you actually realize how unrealistic the original levels were? Look at Hollywood Holocaust: There is a short part of a street, both ends are blocked with metallic walls, the cinema has 3 rows of chairs and used some questionable texturing (the curtain texture was used at the walls), the restroom has carpet and a badly placed mirror, the bridge to the end is out place and so on.

Yet, it's a great level, even in 2019 it's fun to play and pleasant to look at. It had limited technology, obviously you can't recreate realistic places. Also Golden Gate has to be shorter in the game for playability. You created maps, you should know this. It still has a scale that is quite rare in userlevel territories. I don't even understand you other laments too, for example the maze in Egypt looked pretty fantastic after you completed it and entered the higher ground.

Your only sensible statement was the blue key in London, yes, the whole level was quite subpar, and things like this shouldn't have happened under George's quality control, but Levelord has never been on Blum's level anyway, just compare episode 3 to Allen's city maps, like night and day. This didn't change for episode 5.

But you didn't got my downvotes for this. You got it for epitomizing the terrible mentality what hindered this community. That extreme hostile responses towards people who reunited themselves just to give some present to you. No, I'm not talking about Randy, I dislike him on the same level as many of you here, I also agree that the WT port shouldn't have been created, and the price was too steep with removing the 3 bonus episodes. EDuke should have been used instead for the new levels (well, Mapster WAS used by the devs), I think we all can agree with that. But attacking the original designers of the game who created new levels (and whose leveldesign ideas are still followed) is a terrible message, even if they had created something awful, which is clearly not the case. Terrible message as you show no respect for them, simply state something like "they don't have it anymore" as proven facts. Do you really expect a new Duke game with this mentality? I mean, really?

Also not sure why the SOS is considered something godsend. Yes, Lunatic Fringe was cool back in those days, when 3D technology wasn't really present, but it aged very poorly, the level looks total nonsense now, and SOS is not something awesome these days. Yes, it still can look good, actually it was used in the Amsterdam level (the LF 720 degree room had been recreated in a more believable location), but if Blum and LL decide to not use them extensively just to show us a technology it doesn't mean they lost it.

This post has been edited by Nancsi: 04 April 2019 - 06:12 AM

• The Sarien Encounter

Actually, I was really glad to see SOS used in such a way again. It wasn't a groundbreaking awesome use of the feature, but after so long of not seeing anyone use it interestingly (although, I haven't played very many user maps to be totally honest), it was really cool to see it get some attention in WT.

World Tour maps and musics are ok (imo), i expected better voices, but i was quite disappointed about they didn't a revision and/or any kind of fix and improvement, expecially for a 2016 re-release.
I mean, there are the exactly same old bugs, the player still get freaking squished in so many EL3 places even in 2016, no menu improvements, poor settings customization, like the total lack of "hitscan only" (autoaim feature).
Also the price, a bit too expensive for just 7+1 new maps, a new monster, a "new" boss and a "new" weapon... ok let's add new musics too but, sorry for being harshy but you can get so much better and high quality stuff made by very few persons, right here on this forum and other forums based on Duke, and guess a bit... for free!!!

Share this topic:

• 113 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options