• « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Half-Life corner

User is offline   Yatta 

• Pizza Lawyer

User is offline   gemeaux333 

I play it and it is great, you can play in smooth locomotion but not in seaten position as you either have to crouch or not to interact, but in the end it is more pleasant to play than Boneworks !

Everything is great in this VR experience, but the Jar Jar Binks Vortigaunt will stay in my mind for long ^^ !

User is offline   HulkNukem 

I read a synopsis of the plot and I really dislike it.

Spoiler

User is offline   NightFright 

• The Truth is in here

@Yatta:
I was actually really waiting for that video. I mean, literally. You never disappoint, man.

User is offline   Player Lin 

Too bad I can't play HL:Alyx because don't want buy the VR set...too expensive for me...

And...looks like the HL3 hype-train shitstorm will happens again...

View PostHulkNukem, on 23 March 2020 - 11:36 PM, said:

Spoiler

Spoiler

This post has been edited by Player Lin: 24 March 2020 - 08:08 AM

Valve made such a big deal about killing Eli in ep2 , remember the developer commentary?

Spoiler

Anyway, even though i probably will never play HLA, i'm happy Half-Life is back.

This post has been edited by Lazy Dog: 24 March 2020 - 08:33 AM

View PostLazy Dog, on 24 March 2020 - 08:27 AM, said:

Valve made such a big deal about killing Eli in ep2 , remember the developer commentary?

Spoiler

Back then, it sure was a "big deal", but that didn't changed my mind...

Personally, I always feel that's one of reasons they can't get EP3 done and then canceled whole project : the deal just too big and they can't chew.

Well, my opinion is just opinion, I hope they can finish the whole shit and closed this messed up HL chapter.

• The Truth is in here

Even worse, they indicated the future of the HL franchise may be entirely in VR.

This post has been edited by NightFright: 24 March 2020 - 09:52 AM

What's wrong with acquiring a VR set ? The Valve Index is only 1k $ and the most promising of all the VR sets, just to say that 1k $ is nothing (especially for what you get in exchange ^^) !
Plus HL:A is provided with the Valve Index !

This post has been edited by gemeaux333: 24 March 2020 - 10:17 AM

User is offline   Fauch 

I only have the experience of playing a few minutes of crappy games in VR. This looks like it could be really immersive. Hard to say for sure when watching videos. I have the feeling some of the parts with deadly pits may be really scary.

I play the lower difficulty (story mode) and this far the main cause of mortality is... falls, and even one time the resurgence of the explosive stuffed warehouse (from HL1) but in tight spaces/corridors ! Alyx is not Gordon, if you fall from a bit too high its instant death (just a matter of barely 3 metters high, or 10 feet) !

This post has been edited by gemeaux333: 24 March 2020 - 10:43 AM

View Postgemeaux333, on 24 March 2020 - 10:12 AM, said:

What's wrong with acquiring a VR set ? The Valve Index is only 1k $ and the most promising of all the VR sets, just to say that 1k $ is nothing (especially for what you get in exchange ^^) !
Plus HL:A is provided with the Valve Index !

i'ts like exclusive games. I would love to play Bloodborne, but i'm not gonna buy a PS4. Other than playing a single/ very few specific games, all i'ts gonna do is collect dust.
I'ts not about the money.

This post has been edited by Lazy Dog: 24 March 2020 - 11:38 AM

User is offline   Fauch 

Well, I'm replaying Half Life 1 + expansions and falls hurt really bad as well. Well, not as bad, but ladders are among the worst enemies in the game

User is offline   MusicallyInspired 

• The Sarien Encounter

View Postgemeaux333, on 24 March 2020 - 10:12 AM, said:

The Valve Index is only 1k $

"Only."

View PostLazy Dog, on 24 March 2020 - 11:22 AM, said:

i'ts like exclusive games. I would love to play Bloodborne, but i'm not gonna buy a PS4. Other than playing a single/ very few specific games, all i'ts gonna do is collect dust.
I'ts not about the money.

Who said buying Vr set for specific games ? There are a substancial number of worthy games already : Boneworks, blade and sorcery, beat saber, Doom Vfr, Wolfenstein Cyberpilot... as well as many other that are either free or not which could interest (Google earth vf seems a good free vr title)

View PostMusicallyInspired, on 24 March 2020 - 05:15 PM, said:

"Only."

Well, you earn this amount of money in less than a month... but I assume other fees comes first

This post has been edited by gemeaux333: 24 March 2020 - 05:23 PM

User is offline   MusicallyInspired 

• The Sarien Encounter

It's a dream for some people to be able to spend that much money on just whatever they wanted in just one month. It is for me. I'm lucky if I get $50 a month for entertainment. And that's Canadian money.

This post has been edited by MusicallyInspired: 24 March 2020 - 08:18 PM

User is offline   Rellik 

$1,000 is a bit much, really. People gotta pay bills ya know.

FWIW, if you want to dip your toes in VR either look for second hand Rifts or OG Vives, (lots of people upgrading to Indexes.) Alternatively look into Windows Mixed Reality headsets, they can be had in the $200-300 range. Only substantial con is the less-than perfect controller tracking when compared to Index/Vive/Rift.

• The Truth is in here

The Oculus Rift also works well with Alyx, is a lot cheaper and has lower system requirements. However, the game is still optimized for Valve controllers (which are like 200-250 bucks).

My GF 1070 wouldn't be able to handle VR with all details, so I would have to switch to Motion Smoothing which cuts the full 80 Hz refresh rate down to 40. Owners of RTX cards, the 2080 in particular, have clear advantages here. And as you know, these cards are also quite expensive.

This post has been edited by NightFright: 24 March 2020 - 09:59 PM

Reminds me this one :
Cave Johnson : "Carolyn, what are those peoples buying with 60 $ ?" - Portal 2

This post has been edited by gemeaux333: 25 March 2020 - 12:09 AM

• The Truth is in here

HL game designer Robin Walker is sure modders will find a way to make Alyx playable without VR gear, but he doubts it's just going to be more than a normal shooter then, not as ground-breaking as it currently is in VR. He isn't worried about this and apparently they also won't do anything to prevent it from happening since Valve is convinced it will make people see why VR rules. Example: Simple things like weapon reloading is a lot of fun in VR while it's just about pressing a button otherwise. Anyway, don't expect a VR-free Alyx port from Valve directly.

There is already a way to use your smartphone as a replacement for VR gear (Riftcat), but the low refresh rates make the game controls almost unusable (since it's meant to be controlled with hand movements, not conventional methods like controller sticks or keyboard).

This post has been edited by NightFright: 25 March 2020 - 01:32 AM

If Valve only made VR-only HL or other games, I'm fine with that, won't blame them.

They just won't have my money. ;)

View PostNightFright, on 25 March 2020 - 01:29 AM, said:

HL game designer Robin Walker is sure modders will find a way to make Alyx playable without VR gear, but he doubts it's just going to be more than a normal shooter then, not as ground-breaking as it currently is in VR. He isn't worried about this and apparently they also won't do anything to prevent it from happening since Valve is convinced it will make people see why VR rules. Example: Simple things like weapon reloading is a lot of fun in VR while it's just about pressing a button otherwise. Anyway, don't expect a VR-free Alyx port from Valve directly.

I would not be surprised if someone tried to "demake" the game as a HL2 mod. If the mod will ever be finished is another thing entirely.

EDIT:

This post has been edited by Lazy Dog: 25 March 2020 - 09:27 AM

There sure can't be original voice acting for Eli Vance or Wallace Breen, as Robert Culp, Robert Goulet and Robert Guillaume have passed...

This post has been edited by gemeaux333: 25 March 2020 - 10:48 AM

User is offline   HulkNukem 

A non-VR version would be cool just to run around the environments and see the new engine and assets, but I think a remake would be better. You would have to redesign all the encounters and some of the other stuff like hacking to make it work and not be boring or too simple.
Hell, make it a demake and do it all with original source and use Half-Life 2 assets.

The Jar Jar Binks Vortigaunt :

https://youtu.be/64GUYbGx9PM?t=3520

• The Truth is in here

And there we go:
https://clips.twitch...AMPEnergyCherry

Still very basic and in general far from really playable, but it's all there. The interesting part about this is that there's a VR-less option in the game at all, regardless whether or not it actually fully works or not.

This post has been edited by NightFright: 26 March 2020 - 06:18 AM

User is offline   Fauch 

Afraid a non-VR version may feel like an inferior version of HL2. Unless Alyx offers as much variety as HL2 and as good combat ? I only watched a few excerpts of someone streaming and it was mostly fights against zombis and headcrabs, which I'm not sure where as agressive as in HL2. and according to Gmanlives the combine soldiers aren't that mobile. I guess VR combat has to be slower, at least until people get used to it. The new electric enemy looked interesting though.

This post has been edited by Fauch: 26 March 2020 - 07:24 AM

Anyway, HL:A give me hope that VR can ressurect Duke Nukem as well !

User is offline   OpenMaw 

• Judge Mental

View Postgemeaux333, on 26 March 2020 - 10:58 AM, said:

Yeah, because the best route for a character that's struggling to even get a conventional foothold in the modern era is to make a high-risk triple a experience for a hardware format that has not yet fully caught on, and thus narrows the chances for success.

It'd be great if Duke was in a good game without the VR, first.

View Postgemeaux333, on 26 March 2020 - 10:58 AM, said:

Randy "the necromancer" Pitchford resurrected Duke once and it came out wrong. What makes you think VR will make a difference?

This post has been edited by Lazy Dog: 27 March 2020 - 08:37 AM

Share this topic:

• 29 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options