• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Half-Life corner

User is offline   Loke 

Project Borealis Update 5.

User is offline   ---- 

Loke, on 19 June 2019 - 05:21 AM, said:

Project Borealis Update 5.

And thank god they are using a decent engine instead of Source which can do less and takes much more time to create something with.

User is offline   gemeaux333 

Another project, Boreal Alyph, try to do the same thing with Source Engine, but a few are talking about...

User is offline   Ninety-Six 

I'm kinda more on the side of Boreal Alyph, personally. It may be based on a now-ancient engine but it does bring it at least a little closer to its parent series. That, and there is zero possibility of stepping on toes. Valve is usually pretty friendly on mods and independent projects, but so far we've only seen it apply to things made on their own engine. PB may be slightly overstepping.

Don't get me wrong. Both projects can exist, I'm just worried that one has a slightly higher survival rate than the other.

User is offline   MusicallyInspired 

• The Sarien Encounter

I'm really interested in playing two versions of the same story outline. We may know what happens already but seeing someone else's vision and playing an entirely different game really appeals to me.

Both projects have stated they're only going to use Epistle 3 as a base, I believe, so a few things will probably be different between them.

That's probably the correct approach, honestly.

Looks incredibly promising! Hopefully, it reaches completion and Valve does not screw them over in the meantime.

Black Mesa Xen gameplay

This post has been edited by Lazy Dog: 24 June 2019 - 06:57 PM

User is offline   Zaxx 

• Banned

So birds from an Earth rainforest are at Xen now. :D It looks cool but man, I hope they remove that stuff for the final release, it's just wrong.

User is offline   NightFright 

• The Truth is in here

That looks really good. I bought Black Mesa ages ago, but never played it due to the missing Xen parts. Hopefully soon it's time to end with this neglection.

This post has been edited by NightFright: 25 June 2019 - 12:40 PM

• The Sarien Encounter

This looks fanfreakingtastic and I can't wait to play it.

Zaxx, on 25 June 2019 - 04:36 AM, said:

So birds from an Earth rainforest are at Xen now. :D It looks cool but man, I hope they remove that stuff for the final release, it's just wrong.

Those "birds" are in the original game. Or are you talking about the sound effects? Could be a bit more alien I suppose. I don't know, I think it's fine.

This post has been edited by MusicallyInspired: 25 June 2019 - 01:03 PM

User is offline   Zaxx 

• Banned

I was talking about the sound effects, yeah.

Anyway I played the technical beta (it just came out) and it was pretty cool. I really like the level design, they nailed classic Half-Life and it was surprising to see that really the ideas of Xen's level design are here ("door puzzles", platforming, hostile alien flora and fauna), it's just fleshed out a LOT better and has a good flow now. The atmosphere is great too.

On the other hand the last map ran like garbage so I hope they'll optimize their stuff... but it's BMS so they won't I guess. :D

This post has been edited by Zaxx: 25 June 2019 - 02:21 PM

The original 2013 release had optimisation issues, but I do not recall experiencing them again when I replayed Black Mesa a couple of months ago.

User is offline   Zaxx 

• Banned

johnnythewolf, on 25 June 2019 - 02:28 PM, said:

The original 2013 release had optimisation issues, but I do not recall experiencing them again when I replayed Black Mesa a couple of months ago.

That's not really a good comparison because what you played back in 2013 was a fully different game than what you played a few months ago. They significantly modified the engine and rebuilt much of the game for the Steam release and there were huge changes since 2015 too. But yeah, the Earthbound maps got better for sure (still not perfect, there are some larger open areas where the game can chug a bit) so there is a chance for improvement.

• The Sarien Encounter

Yeah, the free mod release was released in 2012 but the commercial standalone version which is highly optimized and refined came out in 2015. Very different.

I, for one, was overjoyed to finally get Surface Tension Uncut. I was really disappointed when they cut out the best chapter in the game basically for the initial MOD release. Luckily some fans crafted some addons to re-add it. They also cut out On A Rail too though I don't think many people were crying about that. Still, there were On A Rail Uncut addons as well. Did they ever add back in On A Rail like they did with Surface Tension?

This post has been edited by MusicallyInspired: 25 June 2019 - 08:08 PM

User is offline   gemeaux333 

No, but indeed On A Rail was always considered as uselessly complex, even according to the critteria of back then

This post has been edited by gemeaux333: 25 June 2019 - 08:39 PM

Worth noting the creator of OAR Uncut was later a member of the dev team, and the only reason ST was cut down in the mod release was because it just wasn't ready in time.

OAR Uncut was not added back in, but it is available on the workshop by the same guy. He said it was better to have it as an optional download rather than part of the package due to OAR's maligned view (though I personally never minded it and when I played BM I ran with the Uncut OAR, plus an additional mod that added in the train loop for the first map)

gemeaux333, on 25 June 2019 - 08:36 PM, said:

No, but indeed On A Rail was always considered as uselessly complex, even according to the critteria of back then

I never got that really. Never found On a Rail difficult to navigate or tedious to do. Pretty much the only part of Half-Life i disliked was the last bit of Interloper, mostly because the respawning Alien Controllers.

This post has been edited by Lazy Dog: 25 June 2019 - 09:47 PM

• The Sarien Encounter

On A Rail didn't bother me either. My guess when I later heard about it was that people felt it was repetitive. And I suppose the sort of non-linear approach to the map design threw people off too. It never bothered me. As long as you stay on the track it's pretty straightforward and even dare I say linear.

User is offline   ---- 

I really like the mod On A Rail-Uncut. It isn't confusing in layout but greatly improves the game. It gives the feel of size (like going to the other side of the complex) and adds great gameplay sections. And as it is made by a member of Crowbar Collective, so that it will be updated to the new engine soon after release of the full game.

It is also worth noting that there still is a Blue Shift-mod in the works for Black Mesa (forgot the name, but it is not one of these HL2 mods for Opposing Force or Blue Shift who are also in the works) which I hoppe comes out in 1 or 2 years now that they have access to the Xen-Assets.

With Project Borealis and Boreal Alyph we soon will be able to play from A to Z. :D

And with Doom Eternal, five Halo games ported to PC and a Wolfenstein intermezzo on the Horizon* there is enough to play until SS4 comes out. :)

*) I only listed modern shooters on modern engines, I didn't forget Ion Maiden or some of the other retro shooters.

This post has been edited by fuegerstef: 25 June 2019 - 11:34 PM

User is offline   Zaxx 

• Banned

I admire your optimism when it comes to believing firmly that those projects will be finished. :D

I have to say that I'm a bit heartbroken when it comes to the Half-Life 2 modding community because it's insane how much talent is there while Valve is just not giving a fuck about it. Source is hard to mod, it always had its limitations when it comes to performance and just what you can do with it and while internally Valve does have more updated and modern versions with a ton of additional features those are not available to people who want to create content. Even in the case of BM when the devs got a real, commercial Source license from Valve after the mod release it just seems that what they got access to was really just the original HL2 Ep2 engine. They modified it, they implemented a lot of new feautres but it's still chugging along on DirectX 9, most of its original limitations still exist and that just makes you wonder how much better BM could be if that wasn't the case.

And really just imagine that you're Valve, a project like BM exists... and you just don't care. You sell a license and you let them sell their product in your store but you don't help, you don't go to them and say "hey, what you're doing is really cool, let us help to polish up your tech, give you voice actors, make you animations" while it's literally your own, super successful game they are remaking. In the age of official remasters and remakes Valve is not giving a flying fuck about Half-Life (about HALF-LIFE for God's sake) and that's just jarring.

This post has been edited by Zaxx: 26 June 2019 - 01:50 AM

User is offline   ---- 

Yes, for Project Borealis I am quite optimistic. It's UEngine 4 (so probably finished 5 years ahead of Boreal Alyph) and everything is custom made. So even an C&D-letter could let them finish the project with changed assets that can be modded back in after release. You know, just like Epistle 3 didn't break any NDA stuff.

User is offline   Zaxx 

• Banned

That's cool, it's just that they have a tremendous amount of work ahead of them, stuff that I feel will be very hard to pull off for a free game made in the devs' spare time. For example BM was supposed to be a next gen remake of HL1 and its development took such a long time that now it's a retro shooter: that's a crazy amount of time (I'm fully aware of the fact that I'm saying this on a Duke forum though :D), so much that I can't even really be excited about new large scale mod projects.

User is offline   ---- 

Zaxx, on 26 June 2019 - 02:30 AM, said:

That's cool, it's just that they have a tremendous amount of work ahead of them, stuff that I feel will be very hard to pull off for a free game made in the devs' spare time. For example BM was supposed to be a next gen remake of HL1 and its development took such a long time that now it's a retro shooter: that's a crazy amount of time (I'm fully aware of the fact that I'm saying this on a Duke forum though :)), so much that I can't even really be excited about new large scale mod projects.

What I can imagine is that a lot of more people are willing and/or able to help than with BM. First it's UE4, where you have much more devs and hobbyists managing to create good quality on a much easier engine that brings much more features for developing a shooter.. Second: It's the semi-official closure to the HL2 arc. BM ist something we already have. So, I hope more people are interested in that than in the already known story of HL1.

And yes, it all is wishful thinking at this point. :D

This post has been edited by fuegerstef: 26 June 2019 - 02:42 AM

• The Sarien Encounter

I was watching Tyler from VNN play through the game and he noted and showed that Crowbar Collective added a bunch of new options to the Video Settings menu for dynamic lighting, shadow quality, FXAA, and a few other things. His stream wasn't the best but man does Xen ever look good! I wish my PC hadn't went kaput a couple months ago. I reaaaallly want to play the beta! Incredible work they've done. Simply incredible. Best looking Source game ever made.

I had had hopes that at some point Valve would hire Crowbar Collective but apparently they don't want to work on anything Half-Life related when they're done with this. And I can't say I blame them. Black Mesa has been in development for...geez 15 years? That's a looooong time.

User is offline   Zaxx 

• Banned

MusicallyInspired, on 26 June 2019 - 05:07 AM, said:

Best looking Source game ever made.

Titanfall 2 would beg to differ. :D

• The Sarien Encounter

That's Source? Huh.

Wikipedia does say "modified". Do we consider Black Mesa modified too? If not then it's still the best looking lol.

This post has been edited by MusicallyInspired: 26 June 2019 - 11:59 AM

MusicallyInspired, on 26 June 2019 - 11:59 AM, said:

That's Source? Huh.

Wikipedia does say "modified". Do we consider Black Mesa modified too? If not then it's still the best looking lol.

Does Crowbar Collective has access to Source source code?, i'm not talking about the sdk, i'm talking about the actual source code used to compile the game executable.

I found this on wikipedia:
"The Black Mesa branch is a modified version of the Team Fortress 2 branch as well as having features from games like Left 4 Dead 2, Portal 2 and Counter-Strike: Global Offensive"
but can't find any source for that.

Damn, that's too many sources :D

This post has been edited by Lazy Dog: 26 June 2019 - 12:30 PM

• The Sarien Encounter

Yeah, it would have to be modified from the source if it says "Source (Modified)".

Yikes I'm doing it too.

This post has been edited by MusicallyInspired: 26 June 2019 - 01:00 PM

MusicallyInspired, on 26 June 2019 - 01:00 PM, said:

Yikes I'm doing it too.

Reminds me of this

Posted Image

This post has been edited by Lazy Dog: 26 June 2019 - 01:56 PM

Share this topic:

• 29 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options