Duke4.net Forums: Half-Life corner - Duke4.net Forums

• 29 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Half-Life corner

User is offline   gemeaux333 

For the Half-Life related project we should see in the next months... Gabe have mentionned the word "Quiver"

User is offline   leilei 

IIRC Quiver's an unrelated game they worked on and shelved away before starting ProsperoHalf-Life. If there's going to be Quiver, i'd expect Quiver to be Quiver. No relation to the 1997 game Quiver.

This post has been edited by leilei: 05 May 2018 - 01:03 AM

User is offline   ---- 

View Postleilei, on 05 May 2018 - 01:01 AM, said:

IIRC Quiver's an unrelated game they worked on and shelved away before starting ProsperoHalf-Life. If there's going to be Quiver, i'd expect Quiver to be Quiver. No relation to the 1997 game Quiver.

Quiver was the original name for Half Life (named after the military base in Stephen King's The Mist, where there is an accident at that base and alien lifeforms come through to our world). It was the name for the very same game (just in early stages).

Prospero was actually the other game they worked on.

This post has been edited by fuegerstef: 05 May 2018 - 01:44 AM

Well, you see the reference Gabe wanted to make regarding the upcomming game(s) !

This post has been edited by gemeaux333: 05 May 2018 - 07:26 AM

User is offline   Loke 

Project Borealis update 3.

Video showcasing weapons animations, player movement and the flashlight.

More stuff in the link above.

If you don't like reading check this video instead:

This post has been edited by Loke: 07 May 2018 - 06:48 AM

User is offline   Zaxx 

• Banned

I like this Project Borealis stuff... we'll have more waiting to do after Xen for Black Mesa comes out, yay! :P

User is offline   MusicallyInspired 

• The Sarien Encounter

It wouldn't be the modern game industry without waiting for a Half-Life (or Duke Nukem) game to come out. Feels like home. Always something exciting to look forward to.

Winona Ryder said (in substance) for movies : "In present days only high budget super zeroes movies happen quickly, the other productions takes years !"

Is there an equivalent in video-games ?

User is offline   leilei 

.........surely you've heard about Call of Duty?

yes, among other, that fit perfectly to this !

User is offline   Micky C 

• Honored Donor

What are the other ones? CoD certainly stands out to me as being by far the sort of big franchise that gets consistently and mindlessly churned out year after year.

• The Sarien Encounter

Battlefield? Guitar Hero and Rock Band, once upon a time. FIFA? Madden? WWE? Assassin's Creed? Just trying to think of titles I see consistently...

Exactly, the kind of stuffs that only fit to pre-pubescent shits...

Roguelites and Battle Royale are the new CoD nowadays

User is offline   leilei 

"game genres i dont like are cod" isn't the point. The point is the big budget being pumped out for an annual 'popcorn depth' title, and Activision and Ubisoft can afford that with iterations of the same Sgt. McShoot / Open "World" formulas to the point where linear story-driven notMcShooty games are becoming a disturbing rarity of a hazard that investors are scared of.

This post has been edited by leilei: 14 May 2018 - 07:01 PM

User is offline   Loke 

User is offline   HulkNukem 

The Gvmers channel and Rise and Fall series are fantastic and everyone should check out the other games in the series.

Have you been thinking about the fact that HDTF could simply be free advertising for Valve, for HL3 ?

• The Sarien Encounter

No. If they're using it as advertisement for HL3 they're doing a BAD job at representation.

It need at least that to tease Half-Life 3 after all this time ^^ !

User is offline   ---- 

If there will be a HL3 it will either be revealed at a big event (E3), or there will be an ARG (or both).

It will NOT be teased by an unnofficial and really bad and overpriced "game" with stolen assets, bad level design and broken gameplay.

Currently HDTF is the opposite of advertising for the HL franchise.

This post has been edited by fuegerstef: 01 June 2018 - 06:55 AM

• Honored Donor

HDTF is damaging the brand. That’s a rather ineffective form of advertising. The idea of HL3 is so hyped up that they wouldn’t really need much of an advertising campaign.

Then again, maybe they did put HDTF out so that we’d set our expectations lower so that we’d still love HL3 despite not reinventing the genre. Genius!

I was actually thinking about schock therapy... ^^

Technically speaking, the assets of HDTF are not stolen, they are bought to their rightfull owners, thats the point !

This post has been edited by gemeaux333: 01 June 2018 - 09:50 AM

User is offline   Wild Dog 

I love Half Life, since i got the original release in 1998, been an user of Steam sinces it was release, still keep using that account. What i can say is i hope they don't release HL3, they know that there is a HUGE HUGE HYPE that cannot be matched. It will damage the series....

HTDF is a perfect example of what happen when you hype hype hype hype a game and then fail like the best....

• Honored Donor

I don't think HTDF is a good example of that. Apparently the game is downright broken. Any potential HL3 that Valve releases would probably still be a high quality and enjoyable game, even if it doesn't live up to the hype. Even DNF would be a better example, although in that case they still made a handful of stupid decisions that single-handedly decimated the fun factor compared to what it could have been.

It's easier to see examples in film, where movies come out that people agree are good, but didn't blow people away like expected.

Father Grigory, booby-trapper laughing and hilarious extraordinaire

Valve is still making games, but never finish them...

Reminds me that no human structure/organisation works without a minimal amount of authority...

After that, I wonder how you could blame the way Hunt Down The Freeman was develloped under the direction of Berkan Denizyaran, as Valve seems to work the same way... as the proverb says : "The fruit never fall very far from the tree"

User is offline   Loke 

Half-Life: Echoes trailer just came out. Looks fantastic.

https://www.moddb.co...-echoes-trailer

User is offline   Player Lin 

For the author's first mod, this one looks way, way, way beyond of "first mod"...can't wait to play that mod.

But I hope it actually plays good.

User is offline   Loke 

View PostPlayer Lin, on 24 July 2018 - 08:18 AM, said:

For the author's first mod, this one looks way, way, way beyond of "first mod"...can't wait to play that mod.

The author has been mapping for Half-Life for over 10 years though, long before starting work on Echoes, so I'd say that he's way more than experienced with Hammer and its tools. This is his only release I believe, released in 2001.

Echoes started development somewhere in 2014 (very early in the year most likely) by the way.

Share this topic:

• 29 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options