Duke4.net Forums: Half-Life corner - Duke4.net Forums

• 29 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Half-Life corner

User is offline   Toxic34 

Seen the work done on Black Mesa? Personally, I didn't download a copy because my particular PC (Windows 7 built that did get the Windows 10 free upgrade) is not built for modern gaming requirements, just general use. But seeing it on YouTube, I'm thoroughly impressed. Especially since people have been allowed to play it even though it isn't technically finished yet, though it appears that the Xen levels are finally close to completion. Seeing that work makes me think again of Duke 3D Reloaded, and how badly I'd like that to happen, maybe as part of another definitive multiplatform collection of the game with the Atomic Edition and Megaton Edition content as well, as well as that re-release of DNF with playable historical content idea.

Anyways, what will be the future of Half-Life? Is it going to be HL3? And if so, will it pick up where Episode 2 left off and then branch out further to a new storyline for Gordon?

User is offline   gemeaux333 

That's most likely the idea for HL3, but for now we have no tip on the level of completion... a game in the Half-Life universe will be released in the upcomming months on the Source 2 engine according to the sayings !

User is offline   necroslut 

View PostToxic34, on 17 August 2017 - 06:20 PM, said:

Seen the work done on Black Mesa? Personally, I didn't download a copy because my particular PC (Windows 7 built that did get the Windows 10 free upgrade) is not built for modern gaming requirements, just general use. But seeing it on YouTube, I'm thoroughly impressed. Especially since people have been allowed to play it even though it isn't technically finished yet, though it appears that the Xen levels are finally close to completion. Seeing that work makes me think again of Duke 3D Reloaded, and how badly I'd like that to happen, maybe as part of another definitive multiplatform collection of the game with the Atomic Edition and Megaton Edition content as well, as well as that re-release of DNF with playable historical content idea.

A couple of years down the line and past the initial impressiveness, I honestly don't think Black Mesa holds up really well. It looks good, but it IMO plays worse than Half-Life - which already had issues - and the environments are unnecessarily messy and cluttered. I think it really does raise a few questions regarding how to do "old-school" level design with modern graphics, and the feasibility of doing so.

That said, I looked over the released D3D:Reloaded screenshots recently as well, and the graphic style they chose would probably make things stand out more than in Black Mesa.

View PostToxic34, on 17 August 2017 - 06:20 PM, said:

Anyways, what will be the future of Half-Life? Is it going to be HL3? And if so, will it pick up where Episode 2 left off and then branch out further to a new storyline for Gordon?

There's no way HL3 will/would start at the Ep. 2 cliffhanger - it's just way too late. My guess is it would start somewhat like HL2 - a new setting, some unspecified time later.

User is offline   ---- 

I actually think that Black Mesa plays better than HL1 (I know, tastes are different). And not only because they "fixed" some tedious or exhausting sections from the original.

Yes, there are still a few problems with the meshes (you can walk on screws that stick out a quarter of an inch from walls), but for my taste the overall mechanics work better.

The graphics aren't up to date anymore but are past that "2002-barrier" after which (true) 3D games actually looked so good that they won't need constant updates to still look halfway decent a decade later.

And the good news is, a modder team works on a Half Life 2 - Episode 3 mod ... which will probably come out in 7 years already. OK, they admit they don't have any voice actors for dialogues ... but they already have a forum post with one reply and the intention of working more with the gravity gun.

This post has been edited by fuegerstef: 18 August 2017 - 01:29 AM

User is offline   MusicallyInspired 

• The Sarien Encounter

Black Mesa was great. Does it replace the original?.....I don't know. I'm not against the idea of remakes like that, but it didn't have the same feel as the original, which it obviously wouldn't. But I can't say whether it replaces it or not. I wish the Half-Life Improvement Team would have finished Half-Life Enhanced.

View Postnecroslut, on 18 August 2017 - 12:54 AM, said:

There's no way HL3 will/would start at the Ep. 2 cliffhanger - it's just way too late. My guess is it would start somewhat like HL2 - a new setting, some unspecified time later.

Valve would be lynched if they didn't start right where they stopped. I'd almost rather have no game at all....which is infinitely more likely. Valve as a game designer is dead. There will be no more Half-Life.

User is offline   ---- 

View PostMusicallyInspired, on 18 August 2017 - 04:43 AM, said:

I'd almost rather have no game at all....which is infinitely more likely. Valve as a game designer is dead. There will be no more Half-Life.

You woudln't want a game that takes place 25 years after the events of Episode 2 and is a trading card game with additional looting mechanics?

What is wrong with you?

This post has been edited by fuegerstef: 18 August 2017 - 05:46 AM

View PostMusicallyInspired, on 18 August 2017 - 04:43 AM, said:

Valve would be lynched if they didn't start right where they stopped. I'd almost rather have no game at all....which is infinitely more likely. Valve as a game designer is dead. There will be no more Half-Life.

How the hell could they? You can't start the biggest FPS sequel since DNF with a cliffhanger to a 10 year old expansion pack. It's just not realistic. Some fans will be pissed, yeah, but I'm certain they can win them over in some other way. I just can't see it happening at this point, it wouldn't make sense.

Valve is most likely to reconsider it's positions in the matter after the cold reception or artefact !

For Black Mesa we have more realistic and living graphics/environments, better designed levels ("On a rail" have been partially cut becauses pointlessly teddious, "Surface tension" was partially cut too but recently the missing part was added and is way more interesting than it's HL1 equivalent), way better sound quality + additionnal lines + new musics...

This post has been edited by gemeaux333: 18 August 2017 - 06:01 AM

• The Sarien Encounter

View Postnecroslut, on 18 August 2017 - 06:00 AM, said:

How the hell could they? You can't start the biggest FPS sequel since DNF with a cliffhanger to a 10 year old expansion pack. It's just not realistic.

That's why there will be no more Half-Life. You can't do anything else because Ep2's cliffhanger was the biggest loose-thread cliffhanger of all time. It left you promptly with an urgency to hunt down and murder those villainous Combine Advisors and destroy their whole freakin' species, to paraphrase a certain Duke one-liner. It was the single biggest let down in gaming history when they never allowed you to do so. It's like the most unsatisfying end to an otherwise masterpiece film. Literally the only thing that could possibly be worse is continuing the franchise ignoring that loose thread. Plus all the writers are gone. It's better to stay with the lesser of two evils.

This post has been edited by MusicallyInspired: 18 August 2017 - 06:13 AM

User is offline   ---- 

As it stands now* Valve has not the talent to make a big game anymore. First the writers are gone ... and Valve are one of the few companies that have the money from Steam and no preessure from a publisher, but still no real game in sight.

All they can do is making very little isolated things, like creating a new hat or maybe a new Hero. But those are simplistic tasks compared to making a game.
And with their flat structure within the company it seems nobody has the talent to motivate others to do Half Life 3/ Episode 3 with a vision or a demo.

*) I can't comment on what might come and what is up their sleeve.

View PostMusicallyInspired, on 18 August 2017 - 06:12 AM, said:

That's why there will be no more Half-Life. You can't do anything else because Ep2's cliffhanger was the biggest loose-thread cliffhanger of all time. It left you promptly with an urgency to hunt down and murder those villainous Combine Advisors and destroy their whole freakin' species, to paraphrase a certain Duke one-liner. It was the single biggest let down in gaming history when they never allowed you to do so. It's like the most unsatisfying end to an otherwise masterpiece film. Literally the only thing that could possibly be worse is continuing the franchise ignoring that loose thread. Plus all the writers are gone. It's better to stay with the lesser of two evils.

I think there are other ways to address that than starting at the spot where Ep.2 left off or simply ignoring the cliffhanger. One is to start somewhere/sometime else and slowly or gradually let the player pick up on what have happened, somewhat like in HL2. Another is to make/release a short episode, mostly as fan-service, that resolves the cliffhanger and little else and leads up to where HL3 can begin. But even if they do simply skip over it, I think they can survive it. Half-Life never really was about the story anyway.

But making an "episode 3" now, after all these years, it's neither realistic or called for. But I don't think that makes HL3 an impossibility. If the game is awesome enough, there will be more than enough people who won't care about some loose threads from an old expansion pack. There's a whole new generation of gamers who wasn't there for HL2 and the episodes. I doubt many of them will care enough to "lynch" Valve. And even with the older fans, if the game is good and impressive enough, I think they might forgive too.

View Postfuegerstef, on 18 August 2017 - 06:26 AM, said:

As it stands now* Valve has not the talent to make a big game anymore. First the writers are gone ... and Valve are one of the few companies that have the money from Steam and no preessure from a publisher, but still no real game in sight.

All they can do is making very little isolated things, like creating a new hat or maybe a new Hero. But those are simplistic tasks compared to making a game.
And with their flat structure within the company it seems nobody has the talent to motivate others to do Half Life 3/ Episode 3 with a vision or a demo.

*) I can't comment on what might come and what is up their sleeve.

I don't think lack of writers really matters. They can hire new writers, or maybe rehire old ones if called for. Neither of the Half-Life games were really built around the story the way players seem to think they were.
And Valve has announced they're working on now four titles at least, three VR titles and the card game, so I think it's a bit premature to rule them out as capable of development.

This post has been edited by necroslut: 18 August 2017 - 06:40 AM

User is offline   ---- 

View Postnecroslut, on 18 August 2017 - 06:37 AM, said:

I don't think lack of writers really matters. They can hire new writers, or maybe rehire old ones if called for. Neither of the Half-Life games were really built around the story the way players seem to think they were.

No, but the writers strung the gamplay elements together in a way that created a story and mystery that in FPS is unmatched, IMHO.

And if Portal is Gabe's favourite game but cannot come up with a third, although one of the most interesting gameplay mechanics for portals is right in front of his nose, without adding new gels or whatnot, it is sad, very, very sad.

This post has been edited by fuegerstef: 18 August 2017 - 06:40 AM

View Postfuegerstef, on 18 August 2017 - 06:38 AM, said:

No, but the writers strung the gamplay elements together in a way that created a story and mystery that in FPS is unmatched, IMHO.

And if Portal is Gabe's favourite game but cannot come up with a third, although one of the most interesting gameplay mechanics for portals is right in front of his nose, without adding new gels or whatnot, it is sad, very, very sad.

There are other writers out there, I don't think they really are irreplaceable. The "mystery "is interesting, because it was largely a smokescreen, though an effective one. The influence of X-Files on HL1 was very apparent. I still think the leave of a couple of writers is not nearly as big of a problem as it sounds, or the biggest problem either. The biggest challenge, similar to how it is with Duke, is being able to create gameplay and presentation that is as, or nearly as, gamechanging and impressive as the previous games were. If they can do that, the writing barely matters.

User is offline   Player Lin 

If Valve ever make new HL game but not continuation from EP2 or explains everything about what happens after that...

I'll f***ing pissed off! :P

But, then again...if they ever make it. :thumbsup:

---

Yeah, if the gameplay sucked so hard then who cares about the plot and writing?

No one is irreplaceable (the cemetaries are the only places full of irreplaceable persons) and Marc Laidlaw have said lately that he was going to leave anyway once HL2:EP3 was done in order to allow a new generation to come, so there is nothing melodramatic in seeing the older writers going !

• The Sarien Encounter

View Postnecroslut, on 18 August 2017 - 06:37 AM, said:

I think there are other ways to address that than starting at the spot where Ep.2 left off or simply ignoring the cliffhanger. One is to start somewhere/sometime else and slowly or gradually let the player pick up on what have happened, somewhat like in HL2. Another is to make/release a short episode, mostly as fan-service, that resolves the cliffhanger and little else and leads up to where HL3 can begin. But even if they do simply skip over it, I think they can survive it. Half-Life never really was about the story anyway.

Like I said, anything other than getting to go after the people that killed Eli Vance is a huge let down and a gigantic cop-out. I don't want to hear about how it happened, I want to do it. I'd much rather they create some new IP. I don't think anyone there is left that's that creative anymore, though.

But making an "episode 3" now, after all these years, it's neither realistic or called for.

I don't agree at all. Just because DNF failed doesn't mean Ep3 would. Unlike DNF, Half-Life has an unfinished story. With DNF we weren't sure what we were getting, it wasn't a an unfinished hole in a story or even a continuation. It was a sequel. With Episode 3 we know exactly the context. It's an unfinished story. It's a loose thread. It's not something that has no context around it. That's an easier place to start from.

But I don't think that makes HL3 an impossibility. If the game is awesome enough, there will be more than enough people who won't care about some loose threads from an old expansion pack.

It wasn't just some "old expansion pack". It was a continuation of a narrative. It wasn't just tacked on. It was all part of the story arc, unlike the Opposing Force and Blue Shift addons for the original Half-Life which were just bonus little stories inside the main one.

Neither of the Half-Life games were really built around the story the way players seem to think they were.

Posted Image

And Valve has announced they're working on now four titles at least, three VR titles and the card game, so I think it's a bit premature to rule them out as capable of development.

I'll believe it when I see it.

View Postnecroslut, on 18 August 2017 - 06:44 AM, said:

There are other writers out there, I don't think they really are irreplaceable. The "mystery "is interesting, because it was largely a smokescreen, though an effective one. The influence of X-Files on HL1 was very apparent. I still think the leave of a couple of writers is not nearly as big of a problem as it sounds, or the biggest problem either. The biggest challenge, similar to how it is with Duke, is being able to create gameplay and presentation that is as, or nearly as, gamechanging and impressive as the previous games were. If they can do that, the writing barely matters.

Again, I don't agree at all. In Half-Life 1, yes there barely was any story, but that simply wasn't the case with HL2 and its episodes. The aura of intrigue and sci-fi mystery combined with action and horror is not something you can just replicate. The reason I liked Half-Life so much was because of that aura. And that aura is largely due to Laidlaw. You can't just slap an FPS together and throw a HL paint job on it with all the characters and believe it's going to feel the same. Is there any other shooter out there with the same atmosphere as Half-Life? No. It'll feel like a cheap hack. Maybe that can cheat "newcomers", but if any of them go back and play the originals they'll surely see what was missing. Writing plays a big part. Not the biggest part, but a strong part. I've always believed that it's an equal combination of story and gameplay that adds to the greatness of a game. You can't just say "the writing barely matters". That's ridicuous. Especially in Half-Life's case.

View Postgemeaux333, on 18 August 2017 - 09:17 AM, said:

No one is irreplaceable (the cemetaries are the only places full of irreplaceable persons) and Marc Laidlaw have said lately that he was going to leave anyway once HL2:EP3 was done in order to allow a new generation to come, so there is nothing melodramatic in seeing the older writers going !

Except that Ep3 was supposed to finish off the HL2 story arc. I wouldn't mind if someone came along after that to write new HL material, but the cliffhanger must be dealt with. And you can't just use anybody to fill that role to finish it off.

View PostMusicallyInspired, on 18 August 2017 - 02:23 PM, said:

Like I said, anything other than getting to go after the people that killed Eli Vance is a huge let down and a gigantic cop-out. I don't want to hear about how it happened, I want to do it. I'd much rather they create some new IP. I don't think anyone there is left that's that creative anymore, though.

I don't agree at all. Just because DNF failed doesn't mean Ep3 would. Unlike DNF, Half-Life has an unfinished story. With DNF we weren't sure what we were getting, it wasn't a an unfinished hole in a story or even a continuation. It was a sequel. With Episode 3 we know exactly the context. It's an unfinished story. It's a loose thread. It's not something that has no context around it. That's an easier place to start from.

It wasn't just some "old expansion pack". It was a continuation of a narrative. It wasn't just tacked on. It was all part of the story arc, unlike the Opposing Force and Blue Shift addons for the original Half-Life which were just bonus little stories inside the main one.

I'll believe it when I see it.

Again, I don't agree at all. In Half-Life 1 (which I think I directly namedropped), yes there barely was any story, but that simply wasn't the case with HL2 and its episodes. The aura of intrigue and sci-fi mystery combined with action and horror is not something you can just replicate. The reason I liked Half-Life so much was because of that aura. And that aura is largely due to Laidlaw. You can't just slap an FPS together and throw a HL paint job on it with all the characters and believe it's going to feel the same. Is there any other shooter out there with the same atmosphere as Half-Life? No. It'll feel like a cheap hack. Maybe that can cheat "newcomers", but if any of them go back and play the originals they'll surely see what was missing. Writing plays a big part. Not the biggest part, but a strong part. I've always believed that it's an equal combination of story and gameplay that adds to the greatness of a game. You can't just say "the writing barely matters". That's ridicuous. Especially in Half-Life's case.

Except that Ep3 was supposed to finish off the HL2 story arc. I wouldn't mind if someone came along after that to write new HL material, but the cliffhanger must be dealt with. And you can't just use anybody to fill that role to finish it off.

Well , yeah, I was speaking more of HL1. HL2 obviously has a bit more "actual" story. I'm just saying, I can imagine there are ways that would work, without startling directly where ep.2 left off. And, honestly, .... if you go back in time and HL1 had ended on a similar cliffhanger as ep. 2... would you not have played it? And would it not have blown you away all the same? And would you not have loved it? It's a tall order, sure, but I do think it could, theoretically, be done.

And, well, I'm one of those people who actually really liked DNF, despite its flaws. If HL3 came out and was about the quality of DNF, as completely unlikely as that is due to Valve's infinitely more stable economical situation, I'd lap that shit up still.

I think there are other capable writers in the world than Laidlaw. And there's probably a ton, or at least some, outlines of what would have happened since. Ep. 3 was, I believe, once in full production, so there must be something to work off.

What I meant with the "built around story" bit was that, as far as I understand, Valve built the gameplay first and then constructed a story around it that fit. They didn't start with writing a story and then made a game out of it, like some fucking movie license deal. And honestly, even HL2 lives more off its presentation than the actual story.

Either way, I'm sure that in a best-case scenario, even you wouldn't care about the cliffhanger ending. If the game was good enough. And I have so far no reason to doubt that if/when it comes out, it will be. And if the actual game isn't any good, the best writing in the world wouldn't have saved it. This isn't a book we're talking about, after all.

This post has been edited by necroslut: 18 August 2017 - 02:41 PM

User is offline   Micky C 

• Honored Donor

View PostMusicallyInspired, on 18 August 2017 - 02:23 PM, said:

It wouldn't be the first time a cliffhanger was completely ignored. It's a TV show, not a game, but the popular British sci-fi comedy Red Dwarf had this massive cliffhanger at the end of season 8 with most of the main characters locked away in a mirror dimension, and the ship literally falling apart around the last guy. New episodes come out many years later and everything's essentially back to normal. The season after they casually teased that they were going to explain what happened but didn't get around to it. Still, I guess Red Dwarf is about as far as you can get from Half Life by any comparison.

• The Sarien Encounter

View Postnecroslut, on 18 August 2017 - 02:38 PM, said:

Well , yeah, I was speaking more of HL1. HL2 obviously has a bit more "actual" story. I'm just saying, I can imagine there are ways that would work, without startling directly where ep.2 left off. And, honestly, .... if you go back in time and HL1 had ended on a similar cliffhanger as ep. 2... would you not have played it? And would it not have blown you away all the same? And would you not have loved it? It's a tall order, sure, but I do think it could, theoretically, be done.

Half-Life 1 did end on a cliffhanger. But they weren't pressured to have a sequel or follow-up at all. It was made to end like that. I know that Half-Life will always have a loose thread just to keep it interesting. It always has. The only difference with Ep2 is that they had already planned and announced 3 whole episodes and everyone was expecting the HL2 story arc to finish up. Valve put themselves in that problem and now they can't get out of it. That's probably why they haven't done anything. Though, it is strange because they had concept art and everything. It seemed to be well on the way and then at some point is just seemed like it just....stopped. I'd really like to know what happened. They went from "Yep it's coming!" to "It takes time" to "We're not talking about it" to "We have nothing to say about Half-Life."

And, well, I'm one of those people who actually really liked DNF, despite its flaws. If HL3 came out and was about the quality of DNF, as completely unlikely as that is due to Valve's infinitely more stable economical situation, I'd lap that shit up still.

Actually, I liked it too, but it was a bit of a disappointment all the same.

I think there are other capable writers in the world than Laidlaw. And there's probably a ton, or at least some, outlines of what would have happened since. Ep. 3 was, I believe, once in full production, so there must be something to work off.

Hopefully. I would really have liked to see what Laidlaw could have brought to the table for that one last jaunt though...

What I meant with the "built around story" bit was that, as far as I understand, Valve built the gameplay first and then constructed a story around it that fit. They didn't start with writing a story and then made a game out of it, like some fucking movie license deal. And honestly, even HL2 lives more off its presentation than the actual story.

Yes, development-wise....but after it's said and done the story aspect no matter at what point it came was a huge part of it...at least for me.

Either way, I'm sure that in a best-case scenario, even you wouldn't care about the cliffhanger ending. If the game was good enough. And I have so far no reason to doubt that if/when it comes out, it will be. And if the actual game isn't any good, the best writing in the world wouldn't have saved it. This isn't a book we're talking about, after all.

Yeah, gameplay needs to bring it. Time will tell if they do release something with or without Laidlaw and whether I'll enjoy it or not.

View PostMicky C, on 18 August 2017 - 02:55 PM, said:

It wouldn't be the first time a cliffhanger was completely ignored. It's a TV show, not a game, but the popular British sci-fi comedy Red Dwarf had this massive cliffhanger at the end of season 8 with most of the main characters locked away in a mirror dimension, and the ship literally falling apart around the last guy. New episodes come out many years later and everything's essentially back to normal. The season after they casually teased that they were going to explain what happened but didn't get around to it. Still, I guess Red Dwarf is about as far as you can get from Half Life by any comparison.

Red Dwarf is comedy though right? That sort of gets a free pass.

View PostMusicallyInspired, on 18 August 2017 - 04:03 PM, said:

Half-Life 1 did end on a cliffhanger. But they weren't pressured to have a sequel or follow-up at all. It was made to end like that. I know that Half-Life will always have a loose thread just to keep it interesting. It always has. The only difference with Ep2 is that they had already planned and announced 3 whole episodes and everyone was expecting the HL2 story arc to finish up. Valve put themselves in that problem and now they can't get out of it. That's probably why they haven't done anything. Though, it is strange because they had concept art and everything. It seemed to be well on the way and then at some point is just seemed like it just....stopped. I'd really like to know what happened. They went from "Yep it's coming!" to "It takes time" to "We're not talking about it" to "We have nothing to say about Half-Life."

Well, yeah, every Half-life game or expansion so far ended with some sort of a cliffhanger - it's part of the design almost. But sure, ep.2's cliffhanger was worse. I don't think the cliffhanger is at all released to the lack of new releases though - rather that the episodic development model didn't at all pan out - remember they were intending to have episodes developed and released relatively quickly - and the result simply wasn't what they wanted for Half-Life. Which is the way I felt about the episodes. Sure, they were fine to play and so, but it wasn't the "Half-Life experience" we'd come to expect. That would have been fine if they got the episodes out quickly, but four years between HL2 and Ep. 2 wasn't not reasonable. They abandoned episodic games completely after that.

Actually, I liked it too, but it was a bit of a disappointment all the same.

Well, sure it was. Even without the 14 year or whatever hype it was released in a poor state- unfinished and unpolished - and with tacked on console features and limitations stripping down an already stripped down version of the original game. Still, I enjoyed it for what it was, even if it wasn't what it once was meant to be.

Hopefully. I would really have liked to see what Laidlaw could have brought to the table for that one last jaunt though...

Well, who knows.... If they at one point get the game going in full gear maybe he can be tempted to come back even though he said he wouldn't.

Red Dwarf is comedy though right? That sort of gets a free pass.

He's right about it hardly being the first time a cliffhanger is ignored though. There is some fallout when you do that, but it can be managed if you do the rest right.

User is offline   Zaxx 

• Banned

Honestly I feel that Artifact, the DotA card game Valve announced could be a turning point when it comes to HL3's development. Some journalists speculated for years now that Valve did not only stop developing high budget single player games because they're chasing the money with their multiplayer stuff but also because they are afraid that a disappointing HL3 could harm the company's reputation... and coming up with something that blows people away after all this time is hard. Now the reception of Artifact's announcement was terrible because people are just fed up with constantly getting only multiplayer games from Valve, they are fed up with card games and shit, they want the next big thing. So following the "disappointment logic" seems like people get disappointed enough even if you just don't give them anything therefore you have to give them something.

The bottom line: it really seems like that Valve has to get around to making that HL3 a reality in the future.

This post has been edited by Zaxx: 18 August 2017 - 05:24 PM

• The Sarien Encounter

Whenever/if ever that holy PR day comes, it'll be hyped as all get out. All they'd need to do is advertise the number 3. That's it. And they'll have people freaking out and eating out of their hand. Maybe it could be like the Star Wars sequels. George said there wouldn't be any more (even though he had ideas for more when he sold LucasFilm), and then Star Wars came back with great fanfare. And with different writers to boot....but the difference is George is a terrible writer, unlike Laidlaw.

View PostMusicallyInspired, on 18 August 2017 - 05:38 PM, said:

Whenever/if ever that holy PR day comes, it'll be hyped as all get out. All they'd need to do is advertise the number 3. That's it. And they'll have people freaking out and eating out of their hand. Maybe it could be like the Star Wars sequels. George said there wouldn't be any more (even though he had ideas for more when he sold LucasFilm), and then Star Wars came back with great fanfare. And with different writers to boot....but the difference is George is a terrible writer, unlike Laidlaw.

I don't think that is true anymore... A few years ago, perhaps, but HL2 is so old by now not marketing would significantly reduce its impact. Not to mention that releasing a title without marketing it signals lack of faith in the product. A lot of people would be like "HL3 is released? Cool." and go on with their day. The fans would check it out - sure - but it's a game that really could have a far larger reach than the hardcore HL fanbase.

• The Sarien Encounter

People would have said the same thing about DNF but everybody knew exactly what it was when it was released. Everybody. Ok, not everybody, but enough. The majority. And it got tons of media attention. Valve not counting to 3 is as much a meme as "when it's done" was.

This post has been edited by MusicallyInspired: 19 August 2017 - 07:38 AM

View PostMusicallyInspired, on 19 August 2017 - 07:37 AM, said:

People would have said the same thing about DNF but everybody knew exactly what it was when it was released. Everybody. Ok, not everybody, but enough. The majority. And it got tons of media attention. Valve not counting to 3 is as much a meme as "when it's done" was.

DNF did have a major marketing campaign, though. I can't imagine it being anything other than a financial flop otherwise. And being a "meme" makes a game a joke, not a hit or a best-seller.

• The Sarien Encounter

I didn't say being a meme makes a game a hit. Being a meme means almost everybody knows about it. The point is, everyone knew what DNF was. Even before the Gearbox marketing campaign. For instance, Video Games Live had a very quick joke in their show at DNF's expense. I went to one. Everyone laughed. Because everyone knows.

View PostMusicallyInspired, on 19 August 2017 - 08:23 PM, said:

I didn't say being a meme makes a game a hit. Being a meme means almost everybody knows about it. The point is, everyone knew what DNF was. Even before the Gearbox marketing campaign. For instance, Video Games Live had a very quick joke in their show at DNF's expense. I went to one. Everyone laughed. Because everyone knows.

There's a difference between knowing and caring. And also, I would imagine not everyone knew. Duke 3D and Half-Life both are so old that there's a new generation of gamers who never played them, and a large portion of the original fans probably don't follow gaming news anymore, and might very well miss that it is out even if they actually would be interested. HL3 is the kind of title that could get some people who don't really play games anymore to get back into it, at least temporarily.

User is offline   Tekedon 

Multiplayer footage recorded by me 17 years ago of me playing against my brother.

https://youtu.be/bwxvyVwOO0k

This post has been edited by Tekedon: 20 August 2017 - 03:31 AM

Besides that, Valve will move to a new building next month, 80% bigger that their present building, so there will be rooms for massive recruitments, and lots of them could be for Half-Life 3 !

User is offline   Zaxx 

• Banned

View Postgemeaux333, on 20 August 2017 - 05:36 AM, said:

Besides that, Valve will move to a new building next month, 80% bigger that their present building, so there will be rooms for massive recruitments, and lots of them could be for Half-Life 3 !

Or maybe they'll start actually curating Steam now? :) I'd be happy with that, the greatest gaming store quickly turned into a cesspit when they opened the floodgates.

This post has been edited by Zaxx: 20 August 2017 - 08:41 AM

Share this topic:

• 29 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options