Duke4.net Forums: Game announcement and teasers - Duke4.net Forums

• 5 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Game announcement and teasers  "Title says it all"

User is offline   NightFright 

• The Truth is in here

Damn, 3DR being swallowed completely skipped my attention. Can't say yet whether it's to the better or worse, but the trailer isn't exactly an eye-opener. It's like "Take these pixelated graphics, then these and some more". With a few exceptions. In the meantime elsewhere: Microsoft Flight Simulator with the opposite approach.

Dunno if you can make big business with retro games alone, but we are about to find out, I guess. As long as it doesn't affect Ion Fury or anything else Voidpoint-related, guess it shouldn't be a big disaster.

This post has been edited by NightFright: 12 August 2020 - 08:13 AM

User is offline   MusicallyInspired 

• The Sarien Encounter

Swallowed? What do you mean?

User is offline   jkas789 

Gonna take a guess and assume that its related to what sanek and Hank mentioned, about Slipgate (Or its parent company? I don't really know) buying 3DRealms Name (Brand?) and using it to sell games.

which I gotta ask, is that a thing? Or am I completely wrong?

Ever since i watched LGR's Bombshell review i've taken to call them 3DenmarkRealms. I don't care about them, but i do have high hopes for Wrath. And who knows? maybe we'll get some info about dlc for Ion Fury :)

This post has been edited by Lazy Dog: 12 August 2020 - 12:50 PM

• The Truth is in here

Wait, did I misunderstand this? I assumed this meant 3DR had been bought or something. I guess it wasn't? Anyway, the name still appears in the beginning of the trailer, which indicates it still exists.

In fact, what exactly does that trailer mean?

This post has been edited by NightFright: 12 August 2020 - 01:23 PM

View PostNightFright, on 12 August 2020 - 01:16 PM, said:

Wait, did I misunderstand this? I assumed this meant 3DR had been bought or something. I guess it wasn't? Anyway, the name still appears in the beginning of the trailer, which indicates it still exists.

found this on wikipedia

"In March 2014, the company was acquired by SDN Invest, a Danish holding company and part-owner of Interceptor Entertainment, and relocated to Denmark by December 2014"

and this on the talk page of the same article

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Talk:3D_Realms#3D_Realms'_current_ownership_status

In fact, what exactly does that trailer mean?

according to the YT video descrition "An online festival hosted by 3D Realms, celebrating old-school and retro First Person Shooters from around the world."
So, in as few words as possible, the Boomercon.

This post has been edited by Lazy Dog: 12 August 2020 - 01:37 PM

User is offline   jkas789 

Fuckin hell they even made a sponsorship with Monster Energy and are calling it boomer juice.

https://twitter.com/...2887588865?s=20

The amount of cringe in that tweet is beautiful. Truly we live in the best timeline.

Edit: The memes coming out of this are exquisite!

This post has been edited by jkas789: 12 August 2020 - 01:55 PM

• The Truth is in here

OK, then I got the trailer wrong, lol. I thought it was some kinda announcement that 3DR had been sacked. Well, 2020 is already shitty enough without that.

User is offline   Jimmy 

• Let's go Brandon!

View Postjkas789, on 12 August 2020 - 01:51 PM, said:

Fuckin hell they even made a sponsorship with Monster Energy and are calling it boomer juice.

https://twitter.com/...2887588865?s=20

The amount of cringe in that tweet is beautiful. Truly we live in the best timeline.

Edit: The memes coming out of this are exquisite!

Big fuckin yikes outta me, chief.

User is offline   oasiz 

• Dr. Effector

3DR - Slipgate and interceptor always had the same synergy for years.
Nothing has really changed.

Slipgate, Killpixel, Voidpoint etc.. are developers and 3DRealms is the publisher.
Look back to 90s, It's not much different from when Apogee and 3DR was heavily branded on the games and most couldn't even remember the devs behind them.

It's normal to capitalize on a known brand and it's no secret that Slipgate shares much of staff with 3DR for years.
Slipgate is again the developing arm with it's own projects.

As for doubling down with retro, you go with what works. You need the income to fund future and riskier projects. I think it's pretty clear that Bombshell cost a lot of money and a project with similar scale is not easy.
RD2020 seems to be about brand building and creating some community spirit as the 90s FPS stuff is currently in what I'd argue to be a "golden era".
Conventions during this year are practically nonexistant and the ones that do exist would have big AAA titles that would eclipse anything more special.
A common showcase can benefit each party a lot.

I'm Completely confused about this one Batman Gotham Knights .

This post has been edited by Duke Legacy: 22 August 2020 - 10:18 AM

• The Sarien Encounter

Robin, Nightwing, Arkham Knight/Red Hood (all three of whom were Robin at one point), and Batwoman fighting the Court of Owls. Sad to see Kevin Conroy didn't reprise Bruce Wayne but it does seem like a sequel to Arkham Knight so far.

Suicide Squad Kill the Justice League

This post has been edited by Duke Legacy: 23 August 2020 - 09:06 AM

• The Sarien Encounter

Sick of seeing Superman as the bad guy.

User is offline   Jimmy 

• Let's go Brandon!

View PostMusicallyInspired, on 23 August 2020 - 09:52 AM, said:

Sick of seeing Superman.

FTFY :)

View PostMusicallyInspired, on 22 August 2020 - 11:03 AM, said:

Robin, Nightwing, Arkham Knight/Red Hood (all three of whom were Robin at one point), and Batwoman fighting the Court of Owls. Sad to see Kevin Conroy didn't reprise Bruce Wayne but it does seem like a sequel to Arkham Knight so far.

I could have heard wrong, but I heard that its not connected to the Arkham series, but Suicide Squad is.

View PostMorpheus Kitami, on 23 August 2020 - 04:50 PM, said:

I could have heard wrong, but I heard that its not connected to the Arkham series, but Suicide Squad is.

You heard right. Gotham Knights is in its own continuity, especially considering Jim Gordon is dead, Batman/Bruce Wayne's death wasn't broadcast on TV like in Arkham Knight, and Barbara Gordon is walking and fighting crime.

Suicide Squad is in the Arkham verse, but they've race changed Deadshot, and completely changed the art style.

• The Sarien Encounter

I just quickly assumed our was because it has what I assume is the Arkham Knight/Red Hood in it who seems to be good. Makes sense though that it's not.

View PostNever Forgotten, on 24 August 2020 - 03:31 AM, said:

You heard right. Gotham Knights is in its own continuity, especially considering Jim Gordon is dead, Batman/Bruce Wayne's death wasn't broadcast on TV like in Arkham Knight, and Barbara Gordon is walking and fighting crime.

Suicide Squad is in the Arkham verse, but they've race changed Deadshot, and completely changed the art style.

Just like the Batman Movie that coming out Gordon is black.

View PostDuke Legacy, on 24 August 2020 - 10:29 AM, said:

Just like the Batman Movie that coming out Gordon is black.

Not exactly. The Batman is in its own continuity, therefor there's no problem race changing. But unless it's not Floyd Lawton in Suicide Squad: Kill the Justice League, he should be Caucasian. Like in Arkham City, and Arkham Origins. If it's supposed to be in the Arkham universe, which has been confirmed, then he should be a white boy. I have no problem with race changing Deadshot, Will Smith was perfect in the movie, I have a problem with changing established continuity. Like if The Batman was a prequel to the DCEU, like it was originally, then it wouldn't make sense for Jeffrey Wright to age into J.K. Simmons. But with it being separated from the DCEU, which has been confirmed, it's perfectly fine. Still gonna play the shit outta the game, just a little nitpick.

User is offline   Balls of Steel Forever 

• Balls of Steel Forever

Project Athia

Square is making another luminous studios game, it'll probably be another 10 years before it releases.

• The Sarien Encounter

Myst. A new remake in Unreal with VR support. Realsing first for the Oculus Quest. You can bet your bottom dollar I'll be buying it. It also has 2D support. Apparently it's got some more replayability with new puzzles and an optional "puzzle randomization" feature. I love Myst and I will buy this yet another release. I've been wanting to see Myst in VR decades.

Also, in other news, the Starry Expanse project (fan remake of Riven the Sequel to Myst, which has operated with Cyan's blessing) has now been folded into Cyan itself which promises to speed up development and ensure a release in our lifetime! I'm beyond excited for both of these pieces of news. I've got all the Myst games, books in hardcover, and copies of the audiobooks and I can also play Sudoku with the D'ni base 25 numbering system because it's awesome.

User is offline   Balls of Steel Forever 

• Balls of Steel Forever

View PostMusicallyInspired, on 21 September 2020 - 06:42 PM, said:

Have you played Obduction?
it's been sitting in my library since it released because
I'm still immersed in cat lady and such games take a really long time for me now.

This post has been edited by Balls of Steel Forever: 21 September 2020 - 07:42 PM

• The Sarien Encounter

Yeah, I have it. Kind of hit a wall and havent gone back to it yet but I intend to. Looks great in VR too!

User is offline   gemeaux333 

Well MusicallyInspired, maybe I will get Myst VR if its compatible with Valve Index, if you have some time on your hand and want to try another VR game I would strongly suggest Borderlands 2 VR, asside from the big effort that have been done on comfort and gameplay to fit VR standards, the other noticeable differences are that cell-shading seems to be gone (you like the style or not) 3rd person perspectives gone too (VR game for sure) and multiplayer super-gone (this one for the best, providing you a fully balanced and immersive singleplayer experience), it also contain all the DLCs of the original game (except the last one pre-Borderlands 3 release "Commander Lilith and the fight for Sanctuary", but the last DLC is also missing on the console ports from what I could gather) included in the BAMF DLC

This post has been edited by gemeaux333: 22 September 2020 - 08:19 AM

User is offline   OpenMaw 

• Judge Mental

Save The Astronaut launch trailer:

"In Save The Astronaut you take on the role of Bill, career space-man. You're marooned on an uncharted world in a far off star system. Covered in jagged rock and freezing ice. Before impact your ship jettisoned a disaster beacon. You must traverse this chilling world and activate the beacon to receive rescue.

Your mission: Navigate the 20 ever-more challenging levels and reach the exit before you run out of air! Avoid freezing waters, and razor-sharp rocks. Find reserve oxygen tanks and keep your life line going long enough to make it home!"

It releases September 30th on Steam.

Steam store page:
https://store.steamp..._The_Astronaut/

A little bit more information:

This is mine. I've been working on this for the last few months.

I made a decision early in the year that if I ever wanted to see my dreams of being a game developer come true I had to start with smaller scale games first. I initially started experimenting with dozens of ideas for games. Some of which were sat aside for later on and will likely make appearance in the years to come. I narrowed my focus down to fun and affordability. Not huge, not mechanically complex. Just fun diversions that have at least a modicum of style.

With Save The Astronaut I was aiming for a platformer with challenge and a timer mechanic. Nothing too complex. It's obviously done in a retro style to evoke some of my favorite NES games from childhood. Games like Bubble Bobble and Dig Dug were at the forefront of my mind.

I am hoping I can now seriously start building the financial resources I need to see my bigger game development aspirations come to fruition.

This post has been edited by OpenMaw: 23 September 2020 - 12:03 PM

Doom Guy and Chief becomes best Buddies ARGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH, Also Metal Gear Solid Remake Rumor.

This post has been edited by Duke Legacy: 24 September 2020 - 05:36 AM

Metal Gear Update

User is offline   OpenMaw 

• Judge Mental

Save The Astronaut is out now. We're getting trickles of sales every hour. I've been promoting on twitter and facebook and sending out keys by hand to various streamers and youtubers. I was also invited onto keymailer and have been sending out keys through that as well. I'm hoping in the next two weeks to see the game really take flight.

You can grab a copy here:
https://store.steamp..._The_Astronaut/

Here's a short little advert the missus and I made together. I'll be putting up the full unedited take later on:

I'll be starting a unique thread here to cover the development of STA and the beginning of STA II. As well as my other projects beyond that.

Share this topic:

• 5 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options