Duke4.net Forums: If 3DR gets back the Duke Nukem rights, could we see new DN3D content? - Duke4.net Forums

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

If 3DR gets back the Duke Nukem rights, could we see new DN3D content?

User is offline   pacman 

If 3DR is able to get back the Duke Nukem rights, could we see something like a new official episode? I would love that and im sure it would be a success, I would even buy the physical release if they do a cool packaging like they did for the Atomic Edition, or even in Duke Caribbean/Duke It Out in DC format. It would be great along with a re-release for steam with a proper port and not the very limited Megaton port.

I would have thought this was impossible, but considering 3DR is releasing a build-engine game with the Bombshell Prequel, I think it's very possible, and it would be a bigger success than Bombshell Prequel. There is clearly a market for retro games, and a new episode for Duke would be a good way to put it back in the map after the DNF fiasco, also a good way to promote the original game and pass it to next generations of gamers (a lot of younger gamers started playing DN3D when they saw it on Steam, before Steam release they would have never heard about it, specially without MP)

User is offline   MetHy 

Word on the street is that Gearbox is working on their sourceport to sell it and have outsourced some devs to make a brand new episode for that port.

Rumours say it will use dynamic lights that are a lot like EDuke32's polymer lights and that they got JSJ to record new voices including a fabulous "BAZINGA".

The ownership of Duke Nukem IP got personal, in my opinion. Ownership of the Duke Nukem IP by 3D Realms will not happen... others might own the brand in the future, but not 3D Realms.

CatNapDreams

User is offline   Hendricks266 

• Weaponized Autism

View Postpacman, on 30 May 2016 - 06:30 AM, said:

If 3DR is able to get back the Duke Nukem rights,

What planet are you living on?

I would even buy the physical release

Name the last 3D Realms game that got a physical release. Prey? Would DNF count?

It would be great along with a re-release for steam with a proper port and not the very limited Megaton port.

Megaton isn't perfect but it is definitely proper. Also you're implying that the Anthology / Kill-a-Ton 2015 Steam release with EDuke32 was not a proper port.

User is offline   MusicallyInspired 

• The Sarien Encounter

Didn't I correct you on this in another thread? 3DR aren't ever seeing Duke Nukem again. Ever.

If George comes into a bunch of money then its possible. Everyone on here saying it "won't ever happen", everything can happen if you have the right amount of money :). Randy likes money as it turns out. The odds of George ever getting the amount of money needed to pull off that deal is another matter entirely. So the probability of it actually happening is close enough to 0, that it doesn't matter.

This post has been edited by icecoldduke: 30 May 2016 - 07:59 AM

User is offline   brullov 

• Senior Artist at TGK

View PostMetHy, on 30 May 2016 - 06:37 AM, said:

fabulous "BAZINGA".

Posted Image

User is offline   Inspector Lagomorf 

• Glory To Motherland!

If 3DR is able to get back the Duke Nukem rights

And if I were Batman...

User is offline   deuxsonic 

Is George even still in the game industry?

View Postdeuxsonic, on 30 May 2016 - 08:43 AM, said:

Is George even still in the game industry?

Kind of he worked on Another Dragon https://twitter.com/...239672469667840

This post has been edited by Demon Duke: 30 May 2016 - 08:59 AM

So no.

This post has been edited by deuxsonic: 30 May 2016 - 09:20 AM

• Glory To Motherland!

It's interesting how "3DR" is still in his Twitter handle like a permanent tattoo of shame.

View PostDemon Duke, on 30 May 2016 - 08:55 AM, said:

Kind of he worked on Another Dragon https://twitter.com/...239672469667840

View Postdeuxsonic, on 30 May 2016 - 09:15 AM, said:

So no.

He probably burned out. That happens a lot in the game industry. That being said it probably doesn't help that hes out of money. Wether or not he will make a come back, is another story.

This post has been edited by icecoldduke: 30 May 2016 - 09:31 AM

Is he still friends with Scott Miller, his childhood friend? That's how he got in there to begin with.

User is offline   pacman 

What does George do for a living? Did he made so much money from Duke that he still living off that?

Also what kind of money would 3DR need to buy back Duke rights (or IP.. whatever is called) in order to release Duke stuff under 3DR brand?

Word on the street is that Gearbox is working on their sourceport to sell it and have outsourced some devs to make a brand new episode for that port.

Rumours say it will use dynamic lights that are a lot like EDuke32's polymer lights and that they got JSJ to record new voices including a fabulous "BAZINGA".

Is this a joke? :)

This post has been edited by pacman: 30 May 2016 - 01:03 PM

No it is not a joke it is True there is anew Duke Nukem 3D Coming

View Postpacman, on 30 May 2016 - 01:03 PM, said:

What does George do for a living? Did he made so much money from Duke that he still living off that?

Also what kind of money would 3DR need to buy back Duke rights (or IP.. whatever is called) in order to release Duke stuff under 3DR brand?

In my opinion, even with the idea that Randy Pitchford loves money, the Duke Nukem IP would never be sold back to anyone related to 3D Realms. I see it as very personal at this point... as stated above by icecoldduke, it isn't mathematically impossible, but the likelihood is in the quantum level of unlikely. I would consider it more possible that I would end up with the Duke Nukem IP than 3D Realms/George. I doubt he wants it back really... but again, that is my opinion.

Oh, and that rumor isn't a joke... but it is a reliably sourced rumor. :D

CatNapDreams

User is offline   Jolteon 

Wasn't it also mentioned that the new port can run without CON files? Honestly that's not a good idea at all, since editing the CON files changes the game the way you wanted it to. Like adding new items, new enemies(Snake Head, and Underwater Drones for example), as well as changing messages, enemies behavior, and more. Obviously, it goes to show that Rearbox doesn't want modding in their games once so ever, and pretty much are more likely gonna remove modding in their new Duke port. :)

I'm just hypothetically speaking and probably may not happen at all, but at the same time, it could actually happen. :D

• Weaponized Autism

View PostJolteon, on 30 May 2016 - 02:17 PM, said:

Wasn't it also mentioned that the new port can run without CON files?

No.

It wasn't? I was very certain that TerminX said something about that. I must be getting paranoid. Sorry about that.

• Weaponized Autism

I don't think existing CONs will work.

Oh okay, I see. I was mistaken then... Sorry about that.

This post has been edited by Jolteon: 30 May 2016 - 04:03 PM

User is offline   Jimmy 

• Let's go Brandon!

Posted Image

• Glory To Motherland!

As soon as I saw that Jimmy had posted on this thread, I knew that he was posting an image and I knew exactly which image would be posted.

User is offline   Jimmy 

• Let's go Brandon!

The people must be reminded:
3D Realms is incompetent.
Interceptor isn't jaded enough.
Gearbox Shovelware is a careless company led by a megalomaniacal sociopath.
Our only hope was the Hail to the King Collection team.
Duke is probably better off dead.
Bazinga.

User is offline   HiPolyBash 

"And, if you can believe it, that's the story of how Gearbox Software® got its name!"
:)

Oh Randy..

This post has been edited by HiPolyBash: 30 May 2016 - 07:34 PM

View Postpacman, on 30 May 2016 - 01:03 PM, said:

As far as I know all that money he made from Duke was burned remaking DNF 8 million times. He's never said what his main source of income is now so I'm going to guess it's a big step down from what he's used to. Beg Scott Miller for another chance maybe? That's what I would do.

3D Realms would need crazy money to get it back and as CatNapDreams said I suspect there's a personal side to this as well since Randy was there for the making of the Atomic Edition. So now they're working on some new port of it with updated Duke talk and a new episode of levels. I would hope they would at least do this similar to the way that Strife: Veteran Edition was where the original data files are left untouched so the original version of the game can still be played (and include all the old DOS files while they're at it) but knowing them it could be a totally different duke3d.grp.

User is offline   Player Lin 

View Postdeuxsonic, on 30 May 2016 - 08:00 PM, said:

3D Realms would need crazy money to get it back and as CatNapDreams said I suspect there's a personal side to this as well since Randy was there for the making of the Atomic Edition. So now they're working on some new port of it with updated Duke talk and a new episode of levels. I would hope they would at least do this similar to the way that Strife: Veteran Edition was where the original data files are left untouched so the original version of the game can still be played (and include all the old DOS files while they're at it) but knowing them it could be a totally different duke3d.grp.

I guess even George quitted from new 3DR and maybe the game industry, he still can't get rid those his past, and always someone will talk him in this forum every some months later. :D

I'm sure they'll removed/modified all 3DRealms related artworks in Duke3D.GRP. Updated port and new levels or not, I'm not sure I would want to buy a copy of their port since I already have about 2 or 3 copies of 3DR versions. Also it's unlikely I would supports Randy's company after those shit happened...at least not soon... :)

This post has been edited by Player Lin: 31 May 2016 - 04:46 AM

Okay so there's the frame displayed on startup with the 3D Realms logo, the color palette associated with it, and various other mentions of 3D Realms like the 3D Realms construction company, 3D Realms prop department, the group photo of the developers, the message displayed after beating episode 4 that mentions more Duke Nukem soon and so on and references the team photo afterwards with big heads, so we'll say if you don't already have one of the old duke3d.grp files, you're not getting it now without buying a used copy or downloading it elsewhere. The stock maps are used as a gold standard by mappers to compare their work, which makes me wonder how the new levels will compare to the ones from 20 years ago mostly made by Allen Blum and Levelord. Since it is a port of the original game, I'm going to assume that it will not have the restrictions that the vanilla game had, so will they make maps that push the limits of the port, or will they be designed to fit in with the original 4 episodes?

User is offline   Fox 

• Fraka kaka kaka kaka-kow!

They don't necessarily have to change the GRP to remove branding, as long they are not displayed in-game. But given how TX described Gearbox's work, I doubt they have anything like tilefromtexture.

Share this topic:

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options