Duke4.net Forums: Can't get DukePlus to work - Duke4.net Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Can't get DukePlus to work

User is offline   Locutus 

Hi. I don't know if this is a bug or if I'm not doing something right. Atomic edition with HRP and DC with HRP both seem to work. Instructions for DukePlus are to extract it in the EDuke32 folder. If you do that, you get a DukePlus Install folder with all the files found in the EDuke32 folder and a DukePlus sub-folder. That didn't sound right because then you're duplicating the entire EDuke32 folder. So I extracted it elsewhere and then copied over everything (indluding the DukePlus folder) that wasn't already in the EDuke32 folder. Some DukePlus stuff works and some doesn't. The DukePlus menu appears. The karate kicks work. My pistol is invisible. I use the mouse scroll wheel to select next and previous weapons. Scroll down moves thru the weapons (with an invisible pistol) up to the expander and then starts again. Scroll up starts with the freeze gun, and does 2 more weapons and starts again. So scroll down only does the first 7 weapons and scroll up only does the last 3. Also, the devastator, like the pistol, is invisible but the ammo icon and counter are in the corner. I looked thru the DukePlus menu and can't figure out what to do. There's an option to replace the devastator with BFG but whether it's enabled or disabled, the weapon is invisible. I tried removing all files except hrp files and duke3D_music from the Autoload folder. Just to be sure, I followed the instructions and extracted the zip file in the EDuke32 folder and then it doesn't work at all. There are no error messages at any time. Thanks for any advice.

This post has been edited by Locutus: 26 May 2016 - 02:27 PM

i don't know what's up, but maybe perhaps add everything together or set the EDuke to use DukePlus & make an autoload folder for the other stuff. it might be cause of polymer lighting, but i don't know. i'm no technical wiss on this stuff

User is online   Danukem 

• Duke Plus Developer

As a diagnostic, try using DukePlus with the HRP disabled (uncheck the "use autoload folder" button on startup). Hopefully all of the weapons will appear. Either way, please post the result. If the weapons are still not appearing, please attach or link to a copy of the eduke32.log file which is generated every time you run the game. This will tell us what kind of errors you are getting and other information.

LeoD has put together a set of fixes which should make DukePlus work with the HRP again. Here is a link:

https://forums.duke4...dpost__p__74887

Try it!

User is offline   deuxsonic 

Installing Duke Plus is just a matter of adding the DukePlus folder to your EDuke32 folder and then having that folder be used as the mod directory when you launch the game. I've had problems with it as well that I suspect may be related to the last release of Duke Plus being quite old and changes to EDuke32 having broken it.

View PostTrooper Dan, on 26 May 2016 - 08:38 PM, said:

As a diagnostic, try using DukePlus with the HRP disabled (uncheck the "use autoload folder" button on startup). Hopefully all of the weapons will appear. Either way, please post the result. If the weapons are still not appearing, please attach or link to a copy of the eduke32.log file which is generated every time you run the game. This will tell us what kind of errors you are getting and other information.

LeoD has put together a set of fixes which should make DukePlus work with the HRP again. Here is a link:

https://forums.duke4...dpost__p__74887

Try it!

I did what you said. All the weapons appear but the scroll wheel won't cycle thru them properly. Scroll down does the first 7. Scroll up does the last 3. The log file complains about 5 missing files and an invalid frame. Everything works fine when I use the hrp and don't use dukeplus. I went to the link you posted and downloaded the polymost hrp override, z-pack and DukePlus-2.35-NixFix-5.4.674 which looks like it might fix all my dukeplus issues.

Wasn't polymost the original renderer? Polymer is much better. I thought that was the renderer to use now, but I guess that was years ago. Now, polymost has been improved so it's now best to use both of them together? Polymer makes it look really good. What is the benefit of using polymost override too?

z-pack seems to make more changes. Is that worth using?

I'll try the dukeplus update first. Then, the other files. Thanks a lot.

Attached File(s)

This post has been edited by Locutus: 27 May 2016 - 12:14 AM

User is online   Danukem 

• Duke Plus Developer

Looking at the errors, the only ones which would matter have to do with the HRP, and yes, the nixfix should take care of those.

As for the weapons, even though they aren't switching properly with next/previous weapon keys you can still use the weapon numbers to switch, right? It's possible that there are bugs in the DukePlus weapon switching logic, since some added weapons are sub-weapons of existing ones that got tacked on by my code. I don't remember it being as broken as you say, though.

Renderers:

-The original renderer was the software renderer, otherwise known as classic or 8-bit mode (any graphic mode with 8bpp in front of the resolution when you selecting one). DukePlus does not work with the classic renderer.
-Polymost is the next renderer. That is what you are using if you select a 32-bit graphics mode but you have Polymer unchecked.
-Polymer is the most recent. It has dynamic lights and you have to check the Polymer box to use it. Performance isn't as good but it may be fine depending on the level you are playing and other factors.

View PostTrooper Dan, on 27 May 2016 - 12:00 AM, said:

Looking at the errors, the only ones which would matter have to do with the HRP, and yes, the nixfix should take care of those.

As for the weapons, even though they aren't switching properly with next/previous weapon keys you can still use the weapon numbers to switch, right? It's possible that there are bugs in the DukePlus weapon switching logic, since some added weapons are sub-weapons of existing ones that got tacked on by my code. I don't remember it being as broken as you say, though.

Renderers:

-The original renderer was the software renderer, otherwise known as classic or 8-bit mode (any graphic mode with 8bpp in front of the resolution when you selecting one). DukePlus does not work with the classic renderer.
-Polymost is the next renderer. That is what you are using if you select a 32-bit graphics mode but you have Polymer unchecked.
-Polymer is the most recent. It has dynamic lights and you have to check the Polymer box to use it. Performance isn't as good but it may be fine depending on the level you are playing and other factors.

I tried the dukeplus fix and it partly helps. Duke3d_hrp.zip is the only file in Autoload. When the level loads I see the animation of Duke loading the pistol (about 1 second). Then the pistol disappears. The ammo icon and counter are in the corner where they should be. I can shoot even though the gun is invisible and if I shoot enough I see him reload the gun but then it disappears again. 1 is the kick, 2 is pistol. If I push 2, nothing happens. Other weapons up to expander work fine. I can scroll down or use the number keys. To see the last 3 weapons I scroll up or use number keys. The devastator (8) comes up via scroll up or the 8 key. What I don't understand is why the bfg doesn't appear when I enable it in the menu. In the menu, I enabled mp5 and bfg. I then typed dnweapons. That gave me the mp5 but not the bfg and the devastator ammo icon is in the corner. I disabled bfg in the menu and the devastator appeared so the devastator works but shouldn't I get the bfg when I enable it the same way I got the mp5 by enabling it in the menu?

I extracted the files, overwriting existing files, twice. The log does not show any errors proving that the patch is installed. I used Ctrl+F in the log file to search for "error" and "warning" and there are no errors or warnings so the patch must be installed correctly. Otherwise, I would be getting the same error messages I was getting before putting the patch in. I tried the polymost hrp and it made no difference.

I then tried it with the autoload folder disabled. Now the pistol appears as well as the devastator. The scrolling problem remains but number keys work. BFG still won't appear in place of devastator.

So to summarize, if I'm not using hrp, no BFG is the only real problem I can find as I can live with the scrolling problem. If I'm using hrp, no pistol and no bfg are the problems.

So has all this experimenting I've done helped at all? Since there's no model (is that the right word?) for the pistol when using the hrp, that means it's being overridden by dukeplus, right? So is that fixable? I've looked through the hrp and I assume there's a graphic file that is used to show the pistol. What if it were renamed? Would it then appear or does it have to be a certain name? The bfg doesn't appear even when I'm not using the hrp. That doesn't sound fixable.

So you're Dan Gaskill. Is that right?

I just thought of something. The hrp mods load in alpha-numeric order, right? Does DukePlus have to load last? If the problem can't be fixed and something can load after DukePlus, couldn't I find a mod that gives me a new pistol and set it to load after DukePlus? Wouldn't I then have everything DukePlus provides except for the pistol and bfg but a pistol I would get from the mod loading after DukePlus?

User is online   Danukem 

• Duke Plus Developer

View PostLocutus, on 27 May 2016 - 08:19 PM, said:

So you're Dan Gaskill. Is that right?

Yes.... So, I'm pretty sure that the invisible pistol was one of the things that got fixed by LeoD's fixes. By the way, it used to work fine. Something changed in the HRP that broke it.

As for the BFG, instead of using the dnweapons cheat, open up the console and type "give all". The original cheats don't know that the BFG is a weapon, but I think I do have code associating it with the console cheat.

User is offline   LeoD 

• Duke4.net topic/3513

View PostLocutus, on 27 May 2016 - 09:00 PM, said:

I just thought of something. The hrp mods load in alpha-numeric order, right? Does DukePlus have to load last? If the problem can't be fixed and something can load after DukePlus, couldn't I find a mod that gives me a new pistol and set it to load after DukePlus? Wouldn't I then have everything DukePlus provides except for the pistol and bfg but a pistol I would get from the mod loading after DukePlus?
That's not quite the concept how autoload works. If B.zip contains a file also available in A.zip, the latter won't be loaded/processed at all.
DukePlus is of course aware of this and [re]defines its stuff after the HRP has been processed.
The missing pistol is probably an EDuke32 bug, discussed here. -> Try an older EDuke32 version.

This post has been edited by LeoD: 28 May 2016 - 04:44 AM

User is offline   Kyanos 

View PostTrooper Dan, on 27 May 2016 - 12:00 AM, said:

It used to work.

View PostLeoD, on 28 May 2016 - 04:28 AM, said:

Try an older EDuke32 version.

All the way back to 2014-09-07 rev.4593 the one before the hundred revisions that never got released. 4777 is the next exe I can test and weapon selection is broken then.

use this one
http://dukeworld.duk.../20140907-4593/

This post has been edited by Drek: 28 May 2016 - 03:45 PM

User is offline   LeoD 

• Duke4.net topic/3513

View PostDrek, on 28 May 2016 - 03:42 PM, said:

All the way back to 2014-09-07 rev.4593 the one before the hundred revisions that never got released. 4777 is the next exe
Yeah, this period of DONT_BUILD (therefore no bug reports) was the centre of some rather autistic development phase which IMO set the base for lots of issues we still have to deal with nowadays.

User is offline   Hendricks266 

• Weaponized Autism

Every revision that builds between 4593 and 4777. Be warned, extracted this takes up a gigabyte.

View PostDrek, on 28 May 2016 - 03:42 PM, said:

It used to work.

All the way back to 2014-09-07 rev.4593 the one before the hundred revisions that never got released. 4777 is the next exe I can test and weapon selection is broken then.

use this one
http://dukeworld.duk.../20140907-4593/

Everything works now. All the weapons and scrolling work. So that link you gave me is for version 2.0 build 4593? Something must have changed after that that made it incompatible with your mod. Thanks for sticking with this and not giving up. Although, everything works I have some questions.

1) What are the 5 .dll files for that extract into the DukePlus Install directory, not the DukePlus directory (ebacktrace1-64, ebacktrace1, libiconv2, libintl3, nedmalloc)? They must be part of DukePlus so shouldn't they be in the DukePlus directory?

2) Are the batch files - dukeplus.bat and mapster.bat - necessary? Weren't those for when we were using Windows 95/98?

3) From the log files, I see that the EDuke32 I downloaded first was 32-bit. The EDuke32 site gives no option. The one I have now is 64-bit. Was that the cause of the problems?

4) Sometimes when Duke says something I hear a beep. It happens when he's in the middle of a sentence. In episode 1, I noticed it once in level 1 and once in level 2. It seems like EDuke32 is censoring something that Duke says. Do you know what I'm referring to?

I see you've made other stuff for Duke Nukem like DNWMD and WGRealms 2: Siege Breaker. I plan on trying them sometime. I think the only weapon the game is missing is a flamethrower. I've always thought the shrinker was the lamest of his weapons. I would love to replace the shrinker/expander with a flamethrower. The mod looks great. Thanks for all your help.

This post has been edited by Locutus: 03 June 2016 - 04:49 PM

User is offline   Hendricks266 

• Weaponized Autism

View PostLocutus, on 03 June 2016 - 04:48 PM, said:

libiconv2, libintl3, nedmalloc

We haven't needed those for a LONG time.

User is offline   LeoD 

• Duke4.net topic/3513

ebacktrace1-64, ebacktrace1
You can safely delete them. I you should choose to run a debug executable, a fitting backtrace DLL will be included in the download.

2) Are the batch files - dukeplus.bat and mapster.bat - necessary?
Yes. Although you could put the startup parameters into a desktop/startmenu link as well.

3) From the log files, I see that the EDuke32 I downloaded first was 32-bit. The EDuke32 site gives no option. The one I have now is 64-bit. Was that the cause of the problems?
The eduke32.com link still points to the latest available 32bit executable by default. For more options go here and choose a version.

4) Sometimes when Duke says something I hear a beep. It happens when he's in the middle of a sentence. In episode 1, I noticed it once in level 1 and once in level 2. It seems like EDuke32 is censoring something that Duke says. Do you know what I'm referring to?
Yup. The Die Hard reference is beeped out.

I think the only weapon the game is missing is a flamethrower. I've always thought the shrinker was the lamest of his weapons. I would love to replace the shrinker/expander with a flamethrower.
The flame thrower was part of an early version called Lameduke IIRC. There are several mods for Duke3D which offer a flame thrower but I can't name one off the top of my head.

This post has been edited by LeoD: 03 June 2016 - 06:34 PM

View PostLeoD, on 03 June 2016 - 06:33 PM, said:

Locutus, on 03 June 2016 - 04:48 PM, said:

2) Are the batch files - dukeplus.bat and mapster.bat - necessary?

Yes. Although you could put the startup parameters into a desktop/startmenu link as well.

The command line for DukePlus is "EDuke32.exe -forcegl -game_dir DukePlus"

I haven't tried mapster but if I use DukePlus.bat, the log file says

"Warning: ignored application parameter "-forcegl""

So the first parameter is being ignored. The second one is handled by the launcher when you select DukePlus from the drop-down. Is the first parameter not supposed to be ignored?

User is offline   LeoD 

• Duke4.net topic/3513

View PostLocutus, on 05 June 2016 - 01:04 PM, said:

So the first parameter is being ignored. The second one is handled by the launcher when you select DukePlus from the drop-down. Is the first parameter not supposed to be ignored?
The -forcegl was helpful in a couple of setups where a working OpenGL functionality couldn't be recognised by EDuke32 (Intel graphics IIRC). I wasn't aware it has been deprecated. The drop-down seems equivalent to -game_dir, so you could run DukePlus without parameters, indeed. Personally I leave the drop-down empty and use -j instead of -game_dir. This way I don't end up with two huge texture files when using the HRP.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options