Duke4.net Forums: Apple IIc corner - Duke4.net Forums

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Apple IIc corner  "Everything Apple related. (Macs, iPods, iPads and so on)"

User is offline   Forge 

• Speaker of the Outhouse

View PostKathy, on 13 May 2016 - 06:28 PM, said:

It's also worth mentioning that you can install whatever you want on Apple PC device.

True.
A lot of distros have the "generic" x86_64 architecture support - especially if you do an online install. Just be careful if you download the dvd/memory stick iso from some distros - they support a whole plethora of processors

https://www.debian.org/ports/

(careful with the "apple-PC" terminology. Some coffee house hipster's gonna get you for that)

This post has been edited by Forge: 13 May 2016 - 06:53 PM

User is offline   Person of Color 

• Senior Unpaid Intern at Viceland

View PostVazovski, on 11 May 2016 - 11:27 AM, said:

I use Windows versions in Paralles. Reason #1, I can not run OS X builds. Reason #2, I used to work on one project where I had to use VPN service for updates, which I bought for 1 year. And I'd bought it before I bought Mac. And this VPN service works well only on Windows.

BAZINGA, oh sorry, I mean, don't touch my signature, it is my private territory!

Jesus Christ, are you nuts? Run fucking Boot Camp. Get an untouched MSDN/Digital River Windows 7 Pro x64 ISO, snag a DVD-R, torrent DAZ Loader 2.2.2 off Pirate Bay, and stop being a cuck. Seriously, you don't even have to pay for this shit anymore. Literally anyone can pirate Windows 7 these days. This isn't even discussion of piracy, it's more commonly known than the fact that Glenn Beck raped and murdered a young girl back in 1990. Literally anyone can do this. Why the fuck would you run Parallels for games? Get a rope, tie a noose, utilize it.

This post has been edited by Person of Color: 15 May 2016 - 02:05 AM

View PostPerson of Color, on 10 May 2016 - 09:31 PM, said:

I can't take any system seriously that uses HFS+. That filesystem is a fucking cancer. No other modern filesystem kills itself simply by existing. NTFS and ext4 are solid as rocks, and XFS is damn good too but doesn't tolerate unexpected shutdowns as well.

Is it worse than Gigabyte's UEFI?

Yes, because their UEFI won't devour your data if you don't reformat after a few years, or have a nasty powerdown out of nowhere.

EU hits Apple with $14.6 billion tax bill.

Plus interest.

Apple has announced the iPhone 7. It's water-resistant, new cameras, stereo speakers and available for preorder. I've heard they removed the headphone jack.

If I want to get a new phone in the future. What's the benefits of Android compared to the iPhone. Will iTunes work w/ android devices or no?

iTunes sucks, as does iOS.

Get an LG G5 or N E X U S. Samsung sucks now. No removable battery or SD card, plus they just had a huge recall on the new Note. I have a G4 and it's fucking fantastic...as was my G3 and my Optimus G.

This post has been edited by Person of Color: 07 September 2016 - 05:57 PM

So how's your experience with the recently released iOS 10? I'm reluctant to upgrade it since I've heard that iOS 10 causes some iPhones/iPads/iTouches to become bricked. I'll wait for 2 days or more to upgrade the iOS on my iPhone just to be safe.

Oh and uh... The iPhone 7 is sold out. Hanging on to my iPhone 6 since it's got that headphone jack that the 7 lacks.

This post has been edited by DustFalcon85: 17 September 2016 - 08:38 PM

User is offline   Micky C 

• Honored Donor

I've heard apple are not only giving away headphones with the iphone 7 that are compatible with the iphone's port, but they're also giving away adapters so you can use your old headphones. This sounds like a pretty good compromise. In a few years everything's going to be using the all-in-one port solution so it'll become less of an issue over time.

IPhones definitely have an advantage if you work within the apple ecosystem, i.e if you use a mac or have an iwatch.

User is offline   oasiz 

• Dr. Effector

I think the main issue here is that this all-in-one port is Apple exclusive and aside from their recent iOS devices, none of their other devices support it either so you're stuck getting a lightning to analog converter just to use the same headset on a macbook.
Problem with this AIO port is that it's a closed standard that no other manufacturer supports either. Manufacturers for other phones got around this by adding extra pins to USB connectors for stuff like video, while it wasn't perfect, it worked pretty well.
Yet Apple still insists on using their proprietary connector. No reason why apple can't just use USB3C and make something custom on that. This current solution is simply not designed with the user in mind.

Regarding ecosystem, it's really how you look at it. My android syncs to my google account seamlessly and works with different devices without any software version nags or workarounds.
Connector is a standard micro USB that is way more available in general than apple's, Transferring video/files/music works with virtually any system without any additional programs.

It might lacks some integration here and there but the only biggest one is mostly related to the account and what content has been bought / stuff synchronized across.

• Honored Donor

Sorry I should have been more clear, I was referring more to the adoption of USB3C for the upcoming macbook pro.

Being in the ecosystem isn't as big a deal as it used to be, for the reasons you've described, but it does have its subtle perks.

User is offline   Tea Monster 

• Polymancer

Steve Jobs led the way in putting the floppy disk to the sword.

Apple stuff is great if you want to pay that. I don't personally think that it's worth it any more. The whole idea of having to boot up itunes anytime you want to put something onto your phone - uuuggghhh! Besides, the phones look good,but they seem designed to slip out of your hand.

The new MacBook Pro 2016 touch bar has battery problems and shit. Plus the new MacBooks doesn't allow you to upgrade storage w/ an HDD. Posted Image Apple needs a new change.

This post has been edited by DustFalcon85: 27 February 2017 - 06:48 PM

• Honored Donor

View PostDustFalcon85, on 08 December 2016 - 08:00 AM, said:

The new MacBook Pro 2016 touch bar has battery problems and shit. Plus the new MacBooks doesn't allow you to upgrade storage w/ an HDD. Posted Image Apple needs a new change.

http://2.bp.blogspot...red_rampage.gif

I've just got the new 13 inch MacBook Pro with touch bar, and all specs maxed out (my university bought it for me so I didn't have to spend a cent :P ). I haven't come across any of the issues people seem to be talking about, such as the battery or graphics issues. I'm not timing it or anything but it's lasting many, many hours and I'm not making any special effort to conserve battery. I usually have a dozen tabs open in safari for example. The battery concerns were likely due to a combination of the woefully inaccurate 'time remaining' message that was originally accessed by the battery drop-down menu, and the computer doing all sorts of first-time processing such as indexing spotlight.

Do I think it's fantastic value for money? Not really. Is it a fantastic piece of hardware? Yes. Then again I've only had it for a few days so I might change my mind if it breaks down on me.
  • The touch bar is nice to have. It's near-essential in some tasks such as navigating music and videos, and near useless in others. Overall it's a convenient addition that will hopefully become cheaper in future models as the technology matures. In some cases there's more than one way to do something which is nice.
  • The screen is beautiful and incredibly bright. Honestly, maxed out the screen is so bright it hurts my eyes. In fact anything over half-strength causing some uncomfortable tingling. It's perfectly readable in a well-lit room at half brightness.
  • I don't have any experience with the 1st generation butterfly keyboard but this new 2nd gen feels really good to type on. The key presses are sharp, responsive and punchy.
  • The trackpad is massive. It's my first experience with the force touch trackpad as well, and while it's not quite new technology, it amazes me how much clicking it feels and sounds like a real physical click.
  • I'm not especially bothered by the lack of ports. Everything's so wireless these days that I almost never have the need for a usb, although just in case I bought two adapters since Apple were selling them cheaply. The apple keyboard I'm using acts as a usb hub so that takes care of that issue.

I've also been getting into some of the less talked-about features of macOS such as automator which is ridiculously simple to use. There are all sorts of small touches like that which together make it a better experience than windows, plus it has some of the better aspects of linux like the Terminal which I'm only just starting to realise the power of.

User is offline   oasiz 

• Dr. Effector

Hey guys. I have this Macintosh IIci I got from my dads and it works. Check it out! I remember playing Tank Wars and watching the beautiful screen savers from After Dark.

This post has been edited by DustFalcon85: 19 February 2017 - 05:38 AM

View PostPerson of Color, on 10 May 2016 - 09:31 PM, said:

Apple's newer products are shit.

View Postbrullov, on 11 May 2016 - 03:43 AM, said:

I have bought macbook pro 2015 7 months ago. I still can not believe myself that I spent $2000 on this piece of shit. This year I am gonna buy a desktop PC and come back to my favorite Windows. It's only my opinion and personal feeling after using Mac OS, totally not comfortable for me. I had iPad Air and my experience was great too -- this device was extremely useless. It was not comfortable to play games, read books or watch films. It was heavy and I dropped this aluminum garbage on my face. There were no reasons to take it somewhere.

But I love my iPhone 5. After so many years it's really good and comfortable to use.

View PostInspector Lagomorf, on 11 May 2016 - 08:48 AM, said:

Apple is overpriced LCD-consumerware. Pure and simple.

View PostTerminX, on 11 May 2016 - 10:35 AM, said:

Apple's laptops and PCs are just overpriced x86 machines using primarily off-the-shelf components.

View Postbrullov, on 11 May 2016 - 10:36 AM, said:

Fuck Apple.

View Postbrullov, on 31 August 2016 - 11:12 AM, said:

- Close all programs;
- Restart MAC;
- Throw it out your window;
- Buy good PC;
- Get Windows;
- Profit!

Thanks, bye!

I tried out an MacBook Pro and hoo boy I was not impressed with it! The layout of the macOS (formerly OS X) sucks! Couldn't figure out how to use the setup.exe for GOG.com DOSBox games it uses Boxer instead. Plus several games from the 3D Realms Anthology ran like shit (i.e. no sound on Duke 1 & 2. Dark Ages ran unusually fast. Terminal Velocity ran in a very small windows) Good thing I sold that piece of crap on eBay today and going back to Windows 10. Never again! I am always and will be a Windows guy by heart, mind, body, blood and soul. POC, Inspector Lagomorf, TerminX, and brullov are right! Today's Apple computers suck and way too overpriced! That said I'm still hanging on to my iPhone 6 and iTunes. I'm going back to Windows powered laptops for good!

Spoiler

Amen!!

This post has been edited by DustFalcon85: 15 March 2017 - 05:29 AM

User is offline   Kawa 

I'd just like to mention that it still amuses me to see Macintosh shortened to MAC.

"What's your MAC address?" "I run Linux." only the other way around I guess?

User is offline   Hendricks266 

• Weaponized Autism

View PostDustFalcon85, on 13 March 2017 - 06:52 AM, said:

Couldn't figure out how to use the setup.exe for GOG.com DOSBox games it uses Boxer instead. Plus several games from the 3D Realms Anthology ran like shit (i.e. no sound on Duke 1 & 2. Dark Ages ran unusually fast. Terminal Velocity ran in a very small windows)

Those are problems more with the Anthology itself than a Mac.

Oasiz. That Youtube video of "We Are Apple" got deleted or something. Here's another video thankfully.

Great. Just great. iTunes version 12.7 just removed the app store and possibly won't let me customize ringtones. The apps now are handled by an iOS devices not iTunes. I think I need to get an LG V20 for my next phone. The one with the removable battery and up-gradable storage. Screw the LG G6 because they now lack the battery customization and storage!

This post has been edited by DustFalcon85: 19 September 2017 - 04:45 AM

Apple admits that they're slowing down old iPhones (6, 6s, 7) by throttling your CPU power in order to improve battery life and forcing you to buy their current iPhones models. I was wondering why the battery of my previous iPhone 6 was rapidly draining. Now Apple is getting sued over this. Apple needs to slow the fuck down by not doing this shit! I'm too fucking poor to afford an iPhone 8! I was about to buy an LG Android but I can't afford it and I had to buy the cheaper iPhone 6S b/c my paycheck got cut. If I do need to get an new LG Android. I'm getting it from Device Pitstop!

http://money.cnn.com...ones/index.html

This post has been edited by DustFalcon85: 22 December 2017 - 07:58 AM

User is offline   Forge 

Didn't Net Neutrality get repealed? ISPs, software producers, & hardware manufacturers can do whatever the hell they want with your data/performance now.
Don't like it? Free market. Go to a competitor.

This post has been edited by Forge: 22 December 2017 - 09:10 AM

View PostForge, on 22 December 2017 - 08:17 AM, said:

Didn't Net Neutrality get repealed? ISPs, software producers, & hardware manufacturers can do whatever the hell they want with your data/performance now.
Don't like it? Free market. Go to a competitor.

How the repeal of Net Neutrality have something to do w/ iPhones slowing down? It was Apple that issued the iOS updates to slow down older iPhones and making the batteries drain rapidly. Where did you get this info from? Are you saying that Apple is anti-Net Neutrality?

This post has been edited by DustFalcon85: 22 December 2017 - 05:17 PM

User is offline   TerminX 

• el fundador

View PostDustFalcon85, on 22 December 2017 - 05:09 PM, said:

How the repeal of Net Neutrality have something to do w/ iPhones slowing down?

They have nothing to do with each other.

User is offline   Forge 

ISPs/carriers support throttling apple product network connections (e.g. Sprint openly admits to differentiating services & products - Sprint offers apple products, like the i8, with their phone/network plans).

they're throttling the phone/apple product, not the advertised speed of the wifi/data connection.
perfectly legal.

ISPs/carriers are in bed with phone manufacturers & usually bundle their products together.
maybe it's pure speculation, but it's also pretty coincidental

(similar practices have been done before)
http://appleinsider....r-speeds-on-att

This post has been edited by Forge: 22 December 2017 - 09:02 PM

Share this topic:

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options