Duke4.net Forums: Apple IIc corner - Duke4.net Forums

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Apple IIc corner  "Everything Apple related. (Macs, iPods, iPads and so on)"

I'm thinking a/b selling my desktop PC and getting a iMac b/c Windows 7 had 3 and a half years to live. Windows 10 is tied to the NSA. Apple on the other hand takes care of the customers privacy. Especially resisting the FBI's request to get into the San Bernidino killer's iPhone.

Why is Apple products so expensive for? Is it b/c of their high quality or what? I've heard Macs are superior to PC and Windows.

Share your likes/dislikes a/b Apple Inc.

My mom and Stepdad have Macbook Pros.

This post has been edited by DustFalcon85: 13 March 2017 - 06:53 AM

User is offline   Lunick 

I love iPads and iPhones (although I use a Windows Phone, laugh at me later) but even I know asking about Apple on this forum is a bad idea.

User is offline   Person of Color 

• Senior Unpaid Intern at Viceland

Apple's newer products are shit. On top of Cum Cuck's homosexual engineering decisions, I can't take any system seriously that uses HFS+. That filesystem is a fucking cancer. No other modern filesystem kills itself simply by existing. NTFS and ext4 are solid as rocks, and XFS is damn good too but doesn't tolerate unexpected shutdowns as well.

http://www.cio.com/a...ystem-ever.html

Stop being a pussy and learn Linux. Run OpenSUSE, or Ubuntu if you have no standards.

OpenSUSE is the only distro with an actual fucking control panel, all the others need tons of terminal related bullshit to change some low level (and obvious) settings.

Just enjoy constant screen tearing with videos if you have Nvidia. AMD and Intel are perfect. I understand X.org is a cancer, but Wayland still isn't ready yet. Nvidia should AT LEAST try to give a fuck. Intel works perfectly out of the box and AMD just needs compositor vsync disabled, and "TearFree" enabled in the control panel.

Don't even bother with 10,000 different X.org configs. It still won't work. Nvidia + Linux = S H I T W A V E

This post has been edited by Person of Color: 10 May 2016 - 09:37 PM

User is offline   Kathy 

View PostDustFalcon85, on 10 May 2016 - 07:18 PM, said:

I'm thinking a/b selling my desktop PC and getting a iMac b/c Windows 7 had 3 and a half years to live. Windows 10 is tied to the NSA. Apple on the other hand takes care of the customers privacy. Especially resisting the FBI's request to get into the San Bernidino killer's iPhone.

Apple servers were mentioned alongside MS in the leaked PRISM documents. Privacy and encryption are different cases here. Apple surely did provide private data it could, but obviously couldn't decrypt since there was no backdoor. You can encrypt Windows folders or hard drive the same way(assuming there are no backdoors, but you are free to use non-Microsoft solutions anyway).

And yeah, if you want to move to another OS consider a GNU/Linux distribution.

User is offline   Lunick 

View PostPerson of Color, on 10 May 2016 - 09:31 PM, said:

Stop being a pussy and learn Linux. Run OpenSUSE, or Ubuntu if you have no standards.

Just enjoy constant screen tearing with videos if you have Nvidia. AMD and Intel are perfect.

See what I mean.

User is offline   Kathy 

Asking almost anything(aside from Duke related) on these forums are a bad idea.

User is offline   brullov 

• Senior Artist at TGK

I have bought macbook pro 2015 7 months ago. I still can not believe myself that I spent $2000 on this piece of shit. This year I am gonna buy a desktop PC and come back to my favorite Windows. It's only my opinion and personal feeling after using Mac OS, totally not comfortable for me. I had iPad Air and my experience was great too -- this device was extremely useless. It was not comfortable to play games, read books or watch films. It was heavy and I dropped this aluminum garbage on my face. There were no reasons to take it somewhere.

But I love my iPhone 5. After so many years it's really good and comfortable to use.

User is offline   oasiz 

• Dr. Effector

Hello Mike

Reality is that all vendors are shit and might seem nicer than the other now and then but Apple and MS are both aiming for a closed PC platform in the longer run.
This will mean online accounts just to use your computer, Apple already has their AppleID and MS has Live ID, It's just a matter of time when they deem that people are connected enough to make those more mandatory.
Easier tracking for what applications you use and potentially forcing some stuff to sync back to their servers.. unless you find that well hidden button to remove it.

I really feel that Apple kinda stopped caring about desktop/laptop hardware some years ago, took them ages to update their mac pro and while their new device would be something I'd like to have as well, it's pretty awful in the pro market and not very practical.
Same movement seems to be happening across the product line, I mean stuff like the new macbook.. 1 USB C for charging and peripherals.. seriously ? Yes yes you have wireless stuff but you can't rely on having all of that on the go.
It's slowly reminding of Apple III (excluding reliability issues) where they just charge head-first with better implementations of stuff that made the previous device so great but at the same time cutting some critical features from the other end.
I think some of the macbook pros are still ok but even with those I'd much rather go for a good 2nd hand dell laptop which runs at half the price and has better specs, plus more chances of repairing it when things do break.
If you really want osx, you can get lucky with some hackintosh builds as well. My friend did a bunch of coding on his i7 desktop with osx and a powrful GPU for some years and never had issues even with updates.

It's a shame because I think they really had a nice run going about 6 years ago.

User is offline   MusicallyInspired 

• The Sarien Encounter

I used to dual-boot WinXP and Debian. Could not get my ATI drivers to work AT ALL. Terrible terrible drivers, they were. Soon as I went NVidia, clear skies and smooth sailing. I haven't used Linux in years now, though. I have an old Dell box I'm using with SteamOS, that's about as far as it goes. Too much dependency on Windows with the programs I use to move to anything else. I'm quite happy with my system, though. I feel no need to overspend on an Apple product.

This post has been edited by MusicallyInspired: 11 May 2016 - 08:36 AM

User is offline   Inspector Lagomorf 

• Glory To Motherland!

I've heard Macs are superior to PC and Windows.

I've also heard that you can make Bernie Sanders glowsticks using chlorinating tablets and isopropyl alcohol.

Apple is overpriced LCD-consumerware. Pure and simple.

User is offline   Hendricks266 

• Weaponized Autism

View PostVazovski, on 11 May 2016 - 03:43 AM, said:

I have bought macbook pro 2015 7 months ago. I still can not believe myself that I spent $2000 on this piece of shit. This year I am gonna buy a desktop PC and come back to my favorite Windows. It's only my opinion and personal feeling after using Mac OS, totally not comfortable for me. I had iPad Air and my experience was great too -- this device was extremely useless. It was not comfortable to play games, read books or watch films. It was heavy and I dropped this aluminum garbage on my face. There were no reasons to take it somewhere.

You might want to sell it, since Macs generally keep high resale values. Failing that, have you tried installing Windows on it through Boot Camp?

• The Sarien Encounter

Macs are widely considered superior by consumer drones because that's what Apple wants them to think...and to say. It's not based on fact, whether it's true or not. You're paying for the brand, that's it. Also, if it breaks down there's little you can do about it yourself, and if you send it away or whatever to get Apple to fix it most of the time they'll just throw it out and give you the next best model. It's an ecological waste.

I think I feel alot of hatred of Apple. Why are their products overpriced and who's to blame?

And...

Posted Image

EDIT: I'm gonna back off on the Mac and think a/b this. I wished Steve Jobs was alive today. Cancer sucks!! :angry:

This post has been edited by DustFalcon85: 11 May 2016 - 10:34 AM

User is offline   Inspector Lagomorf 

• Glory To Motherland!

As far as tech for power users go, it's really not worth comparing. If you're not a power user, Macs are great. So are iPhones. They look stylish and they're easy to use. But they're not the best.

It's like with headphones. Beats By Dre are the most expensive headphones out there, and the most heavily advertised (and thus the most heavily sought out after by consumers). That does not mean they are the best, and most audiophiles are unanimous in their derision of them.

This post has been edited by Inspector Lagomorf: 11 May 2016 - 10:35 AM

User is offline   TerminX 

• el fundador

iOS is nothing special anymore and their PCs are just overpriced x86 machines using primarily off-the-shelf components. I have a Hackintosh laptop here with an i7 and OS X El Capitan on it and I don't see much special about it. It's just... different. I don't really use it anymore and have given it to my wife until it comes time to get a lot more in depth with the iOS version of Hail to the King Collection.

I can't speak for anyone else, but for me it's not hate at all, simply disinterest.

• Senior Artist at TGK

View PostHendricks266, on 11 May 2016 - 09:24 AM, said:

You might want to sell it, since Macs generally keep high resale values. Failing that, have you tried installing Windows on it through Boot Camp?

I can not sell it right now as I want to make apps for iOS. I'm using Parallels Desktop sometimes, but it is extremely uncomfortable. It's very slow. For example, my favorite Age of Empires 2 is not playable at all. Thanks god I can run Duke3D and map for it. But! Mac does not have buttons like "Scroll Lock" or "Caps Lock". I tried to fix with binding buttons via Paralles -- no result, I tried to rebind with DEF and at last it worked. I can not make any mod or map, everything is slow and lag. I can get angry pretty fast and stop doing everything, maybe it's kind of problem about my character. I just hate when I have a lot of inspiration, start to do something, after 5 mins it lags and I leave it and can not get inspiration for a long time in future. Fuck Apple.

This post has been edited by Vazovski: 11 May 2016 - 10:37 AM

• Weaponized Autism

View PostTerminX, on 11 May 2016 - 10:35 AM, said:

iOS is nothing special anymore and their PCs are just overpriced x86 machines using primarily off-the-shelf components. I have a Hackintosh laptop here with an i7 and OS X El Capitan on it and I don't see much special about it. It's just... different.

Similarly, I got a good deal on a used Mac mini (Early 2009) so I could have something to use for OS X and iOS development. Slapped an SSD in, enabled TRIM, and it meets my needs when I turn it on every few weeks. There is some neat stuff and some annoying stuff, but I would never switch as my main OS.

Protip to all concerned: the Homebrew package manager rocks.

View PostVazovski, on 11 May 2016 - 10:36 AM, said:

I can not sell it right now as I want to make apps for iOS. I'm using Parallels Desktop sometimes, but it is extremely uncomfortable. It's very slow. For example, my favorite Age of Empires 2 is not playable at all. Thanks god I can run Duke3D and map for it. But! Mac does not have buttons like "Scroll Lock" or "Caps Lock". I tried to fix with binding buttons via Paralles -- no result, I tried to rebind with DEF and at last it worked. I can not make any mod or map, everything is slow and lag. I can get angry pretty fast and stop doing everything, maybe it's kind of problem about my character. I just hate when I have a lot of inspiration, start to do something, after 5 mins it lags and I leave it and can not get inspiration for a long time in future. Fuck Apple.

Have you been working with the OS X builds of EDuke32 and Mapster32, or have you been running Windows versions in Parallels?

Also your signature cracks me up every time I see it. :angry:

• Senior Artist at TGK

View PostHendricks266, on 11 May 2016 - 10:44 AM, said:

Have you been working with the OS X builds of EDuke32 and Mapster32, or have you been running Windows versions in Parallels?

Also your signature cracks me up every time I see it. :angry:

I use Windows versions in Paralles. Reason #1, I can not run OS X builds. Reason #2, I used to work on one project where I had to use VPN service for updates, which I bought for 1 year. And I'd bought it before I bought Mac. And this VPN service works well only on Windows.

BAZINGA, oh sorry, I mean, don't touch my signature, it is my private territory!

This post has been edited by Vazovski: 11 May 2016 - 11:27 AM

• Weaponized Autism

View PostVazovski, on 11 May 2016 - 11:27 AM, said:

Reason #1, I can not run OS X builds.

I can help debug this if you want. What problem do you encounter?

View PostVazovski, on 11 May 2016 - 11:27 AM, said:

BAZINGA, oh sorry, I mean, don't touch my signature, it is my private territory!

http://idioms.thefre...ry.com/crack+up

• Senior Artist at TGK

View PostHendricks266, on 11 May 2016 - 01:19 PM, said:

I can help debug this if you want. What problem do you encounter?

http://idioms.thefre...ry.com/crack+up

Oops, I have found the wrong meaning. Can we contact on Skype, I don't want to ask dumb questions here. Posted Image

User is offline   Tea Monster 

• Polymancer

I used to be of the oppininon that Apple made nice computers - but very overpriced for what they are. That all changed when they started putting shitty AMD graphics chips in their pro graphics machines, that was the end. There is now no reason to get a Mac apart from showing off to your hipster freinds. Oh, and make sure that one of your freinds is a doctor, as having to do all your file transfers and backups through itunes will take decades off your lifespan.

If you really can't stand Windows 10 - then get a linux box. Just be ready to deal with a lot of driver issues, and finding soft that will do what your old Windows soft does. If you are lucky, your old stuff will run through WINE (good luck setting that up if you are a complete LINUX newb!). If not, it's learn something else designed by penguinistas for penguinistas.

Remember: If you are paranoid that the NSA are really going to knock on your door for something you did - you are propbably already on file from your phone conversations, emails and any other electronic communications that you made during your lifetime. Running Windows 10 is not going to really change that.

This post has been edited by Tea Monster: 11 May 2016 - 04:10 PM

User is offline   Kathy 

View PostTea Monster, on 11 May 2016 - 04:05 PM, said:

If you really can't stand Windows 10 - then get a linux box. Just be ready to deal with a lot of driver issues, and finding soft that will do what your old Windows soft does. If you are lucky, your old stuff will run through WINE (good luck setting that up if you are a complete LINUX newb!). If not, it's learn something else designed by penguinistas for penguinistas.

A good advice, I've heard, is to gradually start using software which is available on both OSes before making a change to GNU/Linux. It will be a more smooth experience than changing to completely different OS and to search for alternatives.

User is offline   Forge 

• Speaker of the Outhouse

I'm thinking a/b selling my desktop PC and getting a iMac b/c Windows 7 had 3 and a half years to live.

get a second hard drive and put Linux on it - make a dual boot machine
then you'll have three years to find the flavor you prefer

I use Debian. It's solid & it has a lot of packages. The downside is they are slow to update because they make sure things are very stable before they release it.

Configuration and ease of use can also be based on the gde you chose. KDE is more like windows, where gnome is more like mac (at least they were the last time I installed those environments).

I prefer KDE, it's a bit more flexible and has more tools. I always found gnome a bit stiff. There are other graphical desktop environments, but those are the main two.

Do some research on what distro sounds like it might suit your needs.

http://distrowatch.com/

This post has been edited by Forge: 12 May 2016 - 07:01 PM

• The Sarien Encounter

View PostForge, on 12 May 2016 - 06:59 PM, said:

I prefer KDE, it's a bit more flexible and has more tools. I always found gnome a bit stiff.

That's because Gnome imitates Mac OS while KDE imitates Windows.

User is offline   Forge 

View PostForge, on 12 May 2016 - 06:59 PM, said:

KDE is more like windows, where gnome is more like mac (at least they were the last time I installed those environments).

View PostMusicallyInspired, on 13 May 2016 - 05:24 AM, said:

That's because Gnome imitates Mac OS while KDE imitates Windows.

Then it's a consensus. Unless one of the other gui's out there is better.

If Linux is an option, most of the people here http://www.linuxques....org/questions/ are pretty helpful and don't sneer at newbies, or "dumb" questions.
You can probably receive help with getting WINE up and running.

This post has been edited by Forge: 13 May 2016 - 06:09 PM

• The Sarien Encounter

I am so on my game lately....I've been sick for two weeks and I must have slept wrong because the entire left side of my back is in excruciating pain if I move the wrong way.

User is offline   Kathy 

View PostForge, on 13 May 2016 - 05:51 PM, said:

Then it's a consensus. Unless one of the other gui's out there is better.

It's not a consensus(duh...) and both came a long way for not being associated with either and configured to look different. Besides, there are other popular desktop environments like XFCE, Cinnamon, Unity.

User is offline   Forge 

View PostKathy, on 13 May 2016 - 06:07 PM, said:

It's not a consensus(duh...)

I posted that because he repeated exactly what I already said (duh).

and basically we only said KDE is like windows and gnome is like mac. (or at least they were last time I upgraded my distro). Unless there's another linux gui out there that better mimics those gde's - which I'm unaware of

An extra sugar cookie and hug for you

This post has been edited by Forge: 13 May 2016 - 08:09 PM

User is offline   Micky C 

• Honored Donor

I have a ~7 year old macbook pro. It's a solid device and always runs really well. I'm thinking of getting a newer one for the duration of my PhD.

User is offline   Kathy 

It's also worth mentioning that you can install whatever you want on Apple PC device.

Share this topic:

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options