Duke4.net Forums: Powerslave/Exhumed General Discussion - Duke4.net Forums

• 10 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Powerslave/Exhumed General Discussion  "Split from Build Engine thread"

Yeah that looks more or less correct, give or take some variable sizes being too big (some shorts there are actually chars + a pad byte)

It doesn't seem to keep track of stuff like pushwalls from what I can see.

User is offline   Defrago 

View Postoasiz, on 26 January 2017 - 06:12 AM, said:

I did take a quick glance in the map importer for the recently released PowerslaveEX sources and it takes some inspiration from BUILD engine but the map format overall is closer to something like Quake or other more modern 3D games.
There is no such thing like "map importer". Only thing that these commands do are creating some stuff helping you recreate the level as close to the original as possible. As I mentioned before

I managed to get a bunch of TXTs with level information from a Saturn's TOMB.LEV and an .obj file from a DOS version
.obj file is openable with blender, but I have no idea how to even get blocks dimensions in digits. All the stuff you can get has nothing to do with a MAP files of PowerSlave Ex, you still need a tool to create levels with helping of information you get from dumped files. Tool that has no screenshots or references anywhere as of now. I'm trying to contact Kaiser and other team members of Nightdive Studios with no luck as of now too.

PowerSlave Ex MAPs probably done with brushes, not the models, while Turok's Kex Editor seems to have working with models mostly. This editor accepting PowerSlave Ex game.kpf file, but when you trying to open MAP files from PowerSlave Ex - this happens
Posted Image
There is no logging about this or the way make it written into log is not yet found by me. Editor has option Export scene to .OBJ, probably it is possible (not implemented in 1.0.3) backwards meaning you can export geometry from DOS version levels.

User is offline   MetHy 

Someone made a true widescreen hack for the Saturn (PAL I assume but may work with the others?) of Powerslave.

I assume this only works with emulator, perhaps even a specific one.

User is offline   Defrago 

Russian guy Лекс Сафонов (Leks Safonov) posted this on his channel:

It's yet unclear for me if it's some console version mod for emulator or an another PC port. I will contact him for more information.

User is offline   Lunick 

That's clearly a Doom mod as you can hear Doomguy's pain sounds

User is offline   axl 

Does anyone have any news regarding Powerslave EX ?

It was my understanding that Night Dive Studios has the rights to this game and that they were planning a digital re-release with an added bonus of porting the Saturn version into the package. But that was in 2015...

I'm still hoping for a definitive re-release containing the 3 versions of this game (PC, PSX and Saturn)...

User is offline   Lunick 

You will probably not see any more official releases of Powerslave EX but the source code is available if someone wants to attempt to fix it up around the edges. I don't think Night Dive Studios had the rights to the game at any period of time. I also don't think the Saturn version was going to be included but there was plans to be able to read the map data for the DOS version.

User is offline   MrFlibble 

Just found this preview of the Saturn version by Next Generation Online:
http://www.next-generation.com/specials/061796.html (Wayback Machine link)

User is offline   Jim 

Can somebody use the source to add the quicksave function and texture filtering?

User is offline   Zaxx 

• Banned

View PostDefrago, on 23 February 2017 - 11:43 AM, said:

Russian guy Лекс Сафонов (Leks Safonov) posted this on his channel:

It's yet unclear for me if it's some console version mod for emulator or an another PC port. I will contact him for more information.

Hey, that's a level from ZBlood. :thumbsup:

I've never played Powerslave, so I'm giving it a shot (no pun indented). Depsite all the minor little flaws (M60 being the only useful weapon so far, the annoying Beast enemies), it's a fun little game. The level design is surprisingly good. Not as good as 3DR and Monolith's outings, but pretty nice nonetheless. I'm surprised. I was expecting a shitty budget game, but got a little flawed gem instead.

But the 5th level sucks ass. Whoever thought that making a level based around requiring you to use invincibility items (one of which is hidden in a semi-secret area) to walk across lava paths on the main path should be shot. If you run out of them before finishing the lava maze (which is pretty easy to do), all you can do is quit and restart (or cheat because fuck that noise) because you won't be able to finish the level. And no, finding the map does not help me because I can't zoom it out and see where the fuck I need to go.

User is offline   MrFlibble 

View PostMYHOUSE.MAP, on 23 October 2017 - 11:04 PM, said:

But the 5th level sucks ass. Whoever thought that making a level based around requiring you to use invincibility items (one of which is hidden in a semi-secret area) to walk across lava paths on the main path should be shot. If you run out of them before finishing the lava maze (which is pretty easy to do), all you can do is quit and restart (or cheat because fuck that noise) because you won't be able to finish the level. And no, finding the map does not help me because I can't zoom it out and see where the fuck I need to go.

There's a lot of stuff in Powerslave that feels like it was created with a console gaming mentality in mind, and I guess this level (very memorable by the way!) is one of those things. But I may be wrong on this.

User is offline   cybdmn 

View PostLunick, on 20 March 2017 - 03:10 AM, said:

I also don't think the Saturn version was going to be included but there was plans to be able to read the map data for the DOS version.

At least /kex3_anubis/source/tools/dataConvert.cpp seems to be an attempt to convert the maps from the saturn version to a kex-readable map format.

User is offline   Avenger 

Anyone successfully play the Powerslave EX port?

I'm trying to play this but running into a problem where the entire map is black making it unplayable.

Only the weapon and HUD are visable:

Posted Image

Any ideas on why this is occuring?

I have no issues running any other games and even other projects released by the same guy with the same "kex engine" run without issue...

User is offline   MetHy 

Late reply time

View PostMrFlibble, on 22 July 2017 - 08:42 AM, said:

Just found this preview of the Saturn version by Next Generation Online:
http://www.next-generation.com/specials/061796.html (Wayback Machine link)

Very nice! I can see some differences with sounds, weapons, level design...

View PostAvenger, on 12 November 2017 - 09:19 AM, said:

Anyone successfully play the Powerslave EX port?

I'm trying to play this but running into a problem where the entire map is black making it unplayable.

Only the weapon and HUD are visable:

https://s25.postimg....dkf/shot000.png

Any ideas on why this is occuring?

I have no issues running any other games and even other projects released by the same guy with the same "kex engine" run without issue...

Do yourself a favor and play the console versions by order of release instead. So, Saturn version and then PS1 version. They both work perfectly fine emulated, I used Yabause for the Saturn version.

User is offline   Mr. Tibbs 

The next episode of DF Retro will concern the various versions of Powerslave.

Posted Image

Gosh, playing this again, I'm genuinely floored by how GOOD this is today. Like, this is exceptionally well made. We need new FPS games in this mold. It's basically the perfect fusion between adventure, shooter and platformer with an awesome aesthetic.

User is offline   Lunick 

inb4 he plugs Powerslave EX

User is offline   Mr. Tibbs 

The DF Retro video is up!

User is offline   Zaxx 

• Banned

View PostMr. Tibbs, on 04 February 2018 - 12:10 PM, said:

The DF Retro video is up!

That Japanese title was a mouthful.

This post has been edited by Zaxx: 04 February 2018 - 06:44 PM

User is offline   Player Lin 

View PostZaxx, on 04 February 2018 - 06:44 PM, said:

That Japanese title was a mouthful.

If you're interest, that Japanese title translates to "AD 1999 Resurrection of the Pharaoh".
(Maybe not perfect grammar but whatever. :))

---

I wonder if PC version would be better if they did using newer version(s) of Build engine, but maybe not, the Saturn version just too special I think. :dukecigar:

This post has been edited by Player Lin: 05 February 2018 - 06:19 AM

User is offline   oasiz 

• Dr. Effector

PC version is capable on executing pretty much the duke feature set (yes, PS has slopes). Saturn version has more complicated geometry which would require Q1 minimum to pull off.
That being said, I do believe the PC version has a bunch of potential to be slightly better if slopes were to be added in to places, something I kind of want to do when I have more time.

I am currently working on a windows port of exhumed.
I do not have the source code but that has not stopped me.
I have converted the 32bit LE executable of the dos game into a standard PE file.
All calls to dos and direct hardware access have been patched.
The game is already working and is playable.
The sound and music are working
It now runs at 60fps using interpolation

I am currently working on fixing the input code
Adding the high resolution and widescreen support
Some kind of options dialog

I would like to post the current build if that is allowed.

User is offline   Hendricks266 

• Weaponized Autism

View PostTheDeadFish, on 04 March 2018 - 03:53 AM, said:

I am currently working on a windows port of exhumed.
I do not have the source code but that has not stopped me.
I have converted the 32bit LE executable of the dos game into a standard PE file.
All calls to dos and direct hardware access have been patched.
The game is already working and is playable.
The sound and music are working
It now runs at 60fps using interpolation

I am currently working on fixing the input code
Adding the high resolution and widescreen support
Some kind of options dialog

Have you been manually replacing the hardware access or did you relink against a modern Build engine?

User is offline   MetHy 

The game (level design, enemy behaviour) is clearly designed without the strafe-running speedboost in mind, I mean you can sequence break all levels. If there was ever a port I'd love to see an option that lets me strafe+run without the speedboost. Something like a toggle option would be best imo.

The problem is that in a case like this the line between "what was intended" and "what was possible" is very blurred, I can totally understand if someone disagrees and tell me it should stay because it was possible originally.
The difference is that: in the original game you'd have to go out of your way and configure the keys differently to take advantage of that speedboost.
With a modern WASD control scheme, that strafe+run speedboost would be there by default and you'd have to tell everyone they're not supposed to do it if they don't want to sequence break each level un-intentionally.

This post has been edited by MetHy: 04 March 2018 - 04:21 AM

View PostHendricks266, on 04 March 2018 - 04:14 AM, said:

Have you been manually replacing the hardware access or did you relink against a modern Build engine?

I have not upgraded the build engine. It would be extremely difficult to do so as it has changed a great deal, the build engine exports a large number of memory structures which are accessed directly by the game code, the layout of these structures has changed. Replacing it is not required anyway, there were only a few places that needed to be patched within the build engine most of the patches were to the rest of the code.

malloc,realloc,free redirected to msvcrt
dos int21h calls for file access hooked
audio interface library: replaced
cdrom interface library: replaced (music in wav files)
mact input library: partially replaced (keyboard mapping still used)

numerous other things redirected or completely disabled which I can't remember

View PostMetHy, on 04 March 2018 - 04:18 AM, said:

The game (level design, enemy behaviour) is clearly designed without the strafe-running speedboost in mind, I mean you can sequence break all levels. If there was ever a port I'd love to see an option that lets me strafe+run without the speedboost. Something like a toggle option would be best imo.

The problem is that in a case like this the line between "what was intended" and "what was possible" is very blurred, I can totally understand if someone disagrees and tell me it should stay because it was possible originally.
The difference is that: in the original game you'd have to go out of your way and configure the keys differently to take advantage of that speedboost.
With a modern WASD control scheme, that strafe+run speedboost would be there by default and you'd have to tell everyone they're not supposed to do it if they don't want to sequence break each level un-intentionally.

There will be multiple control modes, at some point a discussion will be required to define their exact behaviour.

User is offline   Hendricks266 

• Weaponized Autism

View PostTheDeadFish, on 04 March 2018 - 04:58 AM, said:

I have not upgraded the build engine. It would be extremely difficult to do so as it has changed a great deal, the build engine exports a large number of memory structures which are accessed directly by the game code, the layout of these structures has changed. Replacing it is not required anyway, there were only a few places that needed to be patched within the build engine most of the patches were to the rest of the code.

malloc,realloc,free redirected to msvcrt
dos int21h calls for file access hooked
audio interface library: replaced
cdrom interface library: replaced (music in wav files)
mact input library: partially replaced (keyboard mapping still used)

numerous other things redirected or completely disabled which I can't remember

You're leaving out a pretty big one. In any case, not upgrading the engine will severely limit what you can do. Just because it is hard does not mean it is unnecessary.

View PostHendricks266, on 04 March 2018 - 05:41 AM, said:

You're leaving out a pretty big one. In any case, not upgrading the engine will severely limit what you can do. Just because it is hard does not mean it is unnecessary.

I will look into it again once I have finished the basic port. Having support for the new map format would be nice. Also adding the polymost renderer would be good too.

User is offline   fgsfds 

View PostTheDeadFish, on 04 March 2018 - 03:53 AM, said:

Would love to check it out.

User is offline   axl 

View Postfgsfds, on 04 March 2018 - 11:39 AM, said:

Would love to check it out.

Likewise !

Share this topic:

• 10 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options