Duke4.net Forums: Powerslave/Exhumed General Discussion - Duke4.net Forums

• 10 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Powerslave/Exhumed General Discussion  "Split from Build Engine thread"

User is offline   Phredreeke 

If you're gonna use the Polymost renderer then please also support replacement skyboxes :) I extracted the sky backdrops from the game and put them in this album if anyone wants to have a go at making some https://imgur.com/a/saOfP

Posted Image
I don't think I like this new gritty reboot of Pac-man...

User is offline   LAW 

This is a very cool topic.

Do you have any info on level editing possibilities in Powerslave EX?

What are these Saturn levels which are totally absent from PS1 version?

User is offline   MetHy 

View PostLAW, on 11 March 2018 - 11:16 AM, said:

What are these Saturn levels which are totally absent from PS1 version?

I don't remember which levels, but 2 entire maps have the same name but are completely different. Then, you have about half of 2 other levels which are also different + tons of other changes in other maps.

Just play the Saturn version, it's great

User is offline   LAW 

View PostMetHy, on 11 March 2018 - 11:36 AM, said:

I don't remember which levels, but 2 entire maps have the same name but are completely different. Then, you have about half of 2 other levels which are also different + tons of other changes in other maps.

Just play the Saturn version, it's great

If only I had Saturn. It was a great console. But having them all with these memcards, joypads and stuff is a big trouble. There is some life besides gaming after all ;-)

Thanks for the info.

User is offline   MetHy 

It works perfectly emulated using yabause 0.9.15. Trust me, I did a speedrun of the game on real hardware, so I'd have noticed if anything was wrong emulated. The only difference is that the background image during loading screens doesn't appear, big deal.
Probably works using other Saturn emus too.

User is offline   MetHy 

I'm trying the latest version of the Dehacker.
It's pretty good, running the game in higher resolution... even just running it in 800*600 makes a substantial difference.

However it feels like there is something wrong with the way strafing "always on" is handled. You see, Anubis warriors' fireballs are made so that they'll fire in the direction they think you're going if you're strafing; but when using the dehacker they just seem to fire in very random directions. I've seen several of them literaly turn around to fire 120° behind them when I'm right in front of them.

Edit : I've also noticed a visual glitch which seem to be based on distance and view angle: entire parts disappear? Never seen this before

Posted Image

Posted Image

This post has been edited by MetHy: 19 March 2018 - 02:59 AM

User is offline   MetHy 

Another thing I noticed with the dehacker is that it seems that some sprites appear darker than they should; for instance compare the ammo belt in those 2 screenshots

Posted Image

Posted Image

User is offline   randir14 

Has anyone else had a problem with the mouse in Powerslave EX? When I try to look around the mouse only moves a few degrees in any direction and then defaults back to the center of the screen. So currently I'm being forced to play it with an Xbox controller (and yes I tried unplugging it, the mouse problem remained).

This post has been edited by randir14: 21 March 2018 - 09:35 PM

User is offline   fgsfds 

View Postrandir14, on 21 March 2018 - 09:34 PM, said:

Has anyone else had a problem with the mouse in Powerslave EX? When I try to look around the mouse only moves a few degrees in any direction and then defaults back to the center of the screen. So currently I'm being forced to play it with an Xbox controller (and yes I tried unplugging it, the mouse problem remained).

Same here. Seems like a Win10 Fall Update issue. I had it in a couple of other games. No idea how to fix that.

User is offline   SonicB00M 

https://www.trademar...e-87866944.html

Seems like something is happening :P

User is offline   MrFlibble 

Here's a little something I just noticed in relation to the Powerslave girls mentioned in another thread. There's a bunch of screenshots from Exhumed that were published on the cover CD of the Score magazine issue 29 (May 1996), with two showing a secret with two girls in the background:
Posted Image Posted Image

At first I assumed that the scene was from somewhere later in the game (I hardly played past the fourth level), but upon closer inspection it seems to be the semi-secret area in MAP03, but it is actually quite different. In the final game, there are two dancers and two drummers, along with some powerups and a save scarab. Here's what the area looks like in the December 1996 demo (a close-up of the area behind the bars):
Posted Image

So the screenshots in Score are definitely from an earlier version. Perhaps the girls in question were changed due to some form censorship, as at least one of them (on the right) is definitely NSFW, and actually I'm not sure if these particular sprites are used anywhere in the game (but they still are present in the data files of at least some versions, including the August 1996 demo from the PC Gamer CD (demo details and dates can be checked here).

Here's the whole bunch of screenshots from the Score 29 CD in case you're able to spot more differences:
https://imgur.com/a/YqN7lqf

This post has been edited by MrFlibble: 27 May 2018 - 10:12 AM

User is offline   Manhs 

Exhumed / Powerslave Fan Remix Album released! ^^
Last album I commissioned!
Playlist:
Track 11: https://youtu.be/GfE1DDsSzHk
Track 09: https://youtu.be/XGEaYKi_YK8
Track 04: https://youtu.be/ExF70pMLhqI
Track 01: https://youtu.be/2tAzquJENGA

Links for the mp3 in the description.
Video games remix powa! (y)
I asked for 4 remix, the other themes were too much "atmospheric" I think.
Track 11 is the final boss battle theme remixed, this one is epic :(

This post has been edited by Manhs: 28 May 2018 - 02:19 AM

View PostMrFlibble, on 27 May 2018 - 10:12 AM, said:

At first I assumed that the scene was from somewhere later in the game (I hardly played past the fourth level), but upon closer inspection it seems to be the semi-secret area in MAP03, but it is actually quite different. In the final game, there are two dancers and two drummers, along with some powerups and a save scarab.

I just checked the PC Gamer demo and the secret area is the same as in the December 1996 one, even though LEV3.MAP is the only level file that is different from the December demo, as noted here (I guess they changed something else).
Posted Image

User is offline   Defrago 

View PostTheDeadFish, on 04 March 2018 - 03:53 AM, said:

I am currently working on a windows port of exhumed

The game is already working and is playable
The sound and music are working
It now runs at 60fps using interpolation
Any progress by now? Would love to check it too

I'm curious about this new port as well. Powerslave is easily the 4th best Build game.

After hearing about a shotgun that was cut out of the final version of Powerslave, I decided to compare the art assets between the beta/first shareware version and the final version. While there was no shotgun I noticed quite a number of differences between the two, some subtle, others immediately noticable, and decided to compile a few animated comparisons between the two

https://imgur.com/a/KvndSX0

This post has been edited by Phredreeke: 26 July 2018 - 08:31 AM

Today I upscaled the graphics for the game's cutscenes (most which aren't actually used from what I can tell, or at least not the version of the game I have)

https://imgur.com/a/w7W9zCF

The second to last one (Jon holding the machete) looks a bit dodgy but otherwise I'm happy with these.

Here's a slide-over comparison for the helicopter frame.

https://imgsli.com/NzQ1MA

I did a new attempt at Jon with Machete

Posted Image

Looks like some sort of fan art gamers would sometimes draw back in the 90s :o

The jittery lines resulting from the original low resolution are pretty visible, especially on his left leg and on the pyramid behind.

Which model(s) was that?

I don’t recall what the second was but the ones in the album used a Detoon Fatality interpolation. I gotta check the other when I get home

First set: Dedither, Detoon-fatality interpolation, then downscaled and palettised.

Second pic: Desharpen, DeviantArt upscale, downscaled to half size, run through fatality-deblur and then palettised.

I liked your idea with using the dedither model first and gave the machete image a shot too:
Posted Image
This is just using dedither and then Deviant Pixel HD on the result. Scaled back to 2x witth mtPaint's bicubic interpolation and converted to the original palette with Scattered (effect).

Also out of curiosity, I ran the original 8-bit image through the 2x Faithful model, and converted to the original palette without dithering:
Posted Image
The model makes images slightly darker but otherwise I think it's pretty interesting.

UPD: Hold on, it looks like DigiPaint produces a slightly better result esp. on his face:
Posted Image
This is also palettised with Scattered (effect) dithering

This post has been edited by MrFlibble: 02 December 2019 - 06:24 AM

Since we now have not one but two ports of Powerslave (DOS) have people's thoughts on the game changed? I feel it is much more playable now than it was in DosBox - even with the unofficial patch.

User is offline   Aristotle Gumball 

• banned!

The level design is bordering on genius I think and traps are a big part of the overall gameplay, making up for the lack of enemy variety somewhat. Bosses are way too easy, though, and overall it's not a very hard game. Difficulty setting would be nice. TBH this was always my third favorite Build game after Blood and Duke 3D and I haven't changed my opinion. I also just really enjoy the Egyptian theme.

User is offline   Lunick 

The damage powerup absolutely murders bosses. I'd say the game only starts getting difficult when the wasps and the Kilmaatikan show up as they can quickly lower your health. The final level is a bit of a pain as well.

User is offline   axl 

View PostPhredreeke, on 18 December 2019 - 07:00 AM, said:

Since we now have not one but two ports of Powerslave (DOS) have people's thoughts on the game changed?

I'm going to wait untill PCExhumed is a bit more refined to do a full playthrough (I experienced some crashes, no crosshair yet, ...). I never actually played it when I was a kid and under dosbox it was quite the mess. I do loved the console versions, but those are pratically different games (waiting for Nightdive studios to bring us the saturn version !)

Level design is really interesting. Maps are way larger than their console counterparts. On the other hand, I feel like the weapon roster was better on consoles (amun bombs >> grenades and the flamethrower is also far more useful. It's also a shame the Ring of Ra isn't to be found in the PC version).

Anyway, really looking forward to play the game and PCExhumed is looking VERY promising.

Having finished map 7/Philae I gotta say that the game is a lot better than its reputation suggests. I'm still hoping for a way to play the Saturn version without resorting to emulation though.

Edit: Just one sprite I made as a one-off.

Posted Image

This post has been edited by Phredreeke: 22 December 2019 - 08:07 AM

• banned!

View PostPhredreeke, on 22 December 2019 - 06:15 AM, said:

Having finished map 7/Philae I gotta say that the game is a lot better than its reputation suggests. I'm still hoping for a way to play the Saturn version without resorting to emulation though.

Same on the Saturn version. Is map 7 the one with the pirate ship? Because that's the first one that made me go "OK, this is actually pretty great". It just didn't do itself any favors with the shitty control scheme and lack of saving, but the latter actually never bothered me.

Yeah. Do you have any screenshots of that on the Saturn?

Attached File  scr-map7-0004.png (171.77K)
Number of downloads: 21

This post has been edited by Phredreeke: 22 December 2019 - 09:15 AM

• banned!

View PostPhredreeke, on 22 December 2019 - 09:11 AM, said:

Yeah. Do you have any screenshots of that on the Saturn?

Attachment scr-map7-0004.png

Saturn/PSX version is a totally different game if I understood the question right. All the maps are different, so no pirate ship (that I could find).

Share this topic:

• 10 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options