Duke4.net Forums: Powerslave/Exhumed General Discussion - Duke4.net Forums

Hide message Show message
Welcome to the Duke4.net Forums!

Register an account now to get access to all board features. After you've registered and logged in, you'll be able to create topics, post replies, send and receive private messages, disable the viewing of ads and more!

• 7 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Powerslave/Exhumed General Discussion  "Split from Build Engine thread"

User is offline   oasiz 

Spoiler

Based on quick guesses..
This seems to have the main "meat" of the map format.
It's somewhat BUILD inspired, being sector based and relies on 3D polygons.
Sector looks for faces, faces look for polys and so on..
Kinda reminds of build looking for: sector -> wall, wall references the next wall, etc..

Editor would need to be similar to a modelling program and it seems that you'd need to be able to define sectors individually too.
Basically something you might want to create from scratch, but would take quite a bit of time.
Devs likely had the level data in a different format with their own editor, before it was "compiled" to what it is.

Manual labor. Hope to see it some day but I just want to be clear here again that Console and DOS version share nothing in their engine.
Source code / tools for any of them won't help the other one.

User is offline   sirlemonhead 

Yeah that looks more or less correct, give or take some variable sizes being too big (some shorts there are actually chars + a pad byte)

It doesn't seem to keep track of stuff like pushwalls from what I can see.

User is offline   Defrago 

View Postoasiz, on 26 January 2017 - 06:12 AM, said:

I did take a quick glance in the map importer for the recently released PowerslaveEX sources and it takes some inspiration from BUILD engine but the map format overall is closer to something like Quake or other more modern 3D games.
There is no such thing like "map importer". Only thing that these commands do are creating some stuff helping you recreate the level as close to the original as possible. As I mentioned before

I managed to get a bunch of TXTs with level information from a Saturn's TOMB.LEV and an .obj file from a DOS version
.obj file is openable with blender, but I have no idea how to even get blocks dimensions in digits. All the stuff you can get has nothing to do with a MAP files of PowerSlave Ex, you still need a tool to create levels with helping of information you get from dumped files. Tool that has no screenshots or references anywhere as of now. I'm trying to contact Kaiser and other team members of Nightdive Studios with no luck as of now too.

PowerSlave Ex MAPs probably done with brushes, not the models, while Turok's Kex Editor seems to have working with models mostly. This editor accepting PowerSlave Ex game.kpf file, but when you trying to open MAP files from PowerSlave Ex - this happens
Posted Image
There is no logging about this or the way make it written into log is not yet found by me. Editor has option Export scene to .OBJ, probably it is possible (not implemented in 1.0.3) backwards meaning you can export geometry from DOS version levels.

User is offline   MetHy 

Someone made a true widescreen hack for the Saturn (PAL I assume but may work with the others?) of Powerslave.

I assume this only works with emulator, perhaps even a specific one.

User is offline   Defrago 

Russian guy Лекс Сафонов (Leks Safonov) posted this on his channel:

It's yet unclear for me if it's some console version mod for emulator or an another PC port. I will contact him for more information.

User is offline   Lunick 

• Snazzy Tazzy

That's clearly a Doom mod as you can hear Doomguy's pain sounds

User is offline   axl 

Does anyone have any news regarding Powerslave EX ?

It was my understanding that Night Dive Studios has the rights to this game and that they were planning a digital re-release with an added bonus of porting the Saturn version into the package. But that was in 2015...

I'm still hoping for a definitive re-release containing the 3 versions of this game (PC, PSX and Saturn)...

User is offline   Lunick 

• Snazzy Tazzy

You will probably not see any more official releases of Powerslave EX but the source code is available if someone wants to attempt to fix it up around the edges. I don't think Night Dive Studios had the rights to the game at any period of time. I also don't think the Saturn version was going to be included but there was plans to be able to read the map data for the DOS version.

Share this topic:

• 7 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks are property of their respective owners and all comments are owned by their posters. Yes, our forum uses cookies. © 2004-2017 Duke4.net and Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options