Duke4.net Forums: PolymerNG - Xbox One and Windows 10 - Duke4.net Forums

• 41 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

PolymerNG - Xbox One and Windows 10

Please read this topic. The engine has evolved drastically since I first posted about this project.

Github(P4 rev 265) is at
https://github.com/j...PolymerNGPublic

This post has been edited by icecoldduke: 31 May 2016 - 06:59 PM

User is online   Mblackwell 

• Evil Overlord

View Posticecoldduke, on 18 April 2016 - 05:32 PM, said:

[*]Dynamic Sectors need to be implemented.

Just an aside here, in BUILD there are no such things as "dynamic sectors". Unlike other engines any sector or wall point can be linked arbitrarily to another at any time, including being moved or deformed and placed directly overlapping another sector. In fact two non adjacent walls can be linked and the engine doesn't even blink, it just renders both sectors and a void between. Assuming you are in godmode you are able to cross the boundary into the void and reach the other sector.

It's possible to do this not only in CON but in Mapster. Nothing is ever truly static.

User is offline   TerminX 

• el fundador

He knows all that. :D

• Evil Overlord

Kosher dosher

View PostMblackwell, on 19 April 2016 - 04:04 PM, said:

Just an aside here, in BUILD there are no such things as "dynamic sectors". Unlike other engines any sector or wall point can be linked arbitrarily to another at any time, including being moved or deformed and placed directly overlapping another sector. In fact two non adjacent walls can be linked and the engine doesn't even blink, it just renders both sectors and a void between. Assuming you are in godmode you are able to cross the boundary into the void and reach the other sector.

It's possible to do this not only in CON but in Mapster. Nothing is ever truly static.

While every sector can move that doesn't mean every sector will move. If a sector doesn't move it will be faster to render from the static geo vertex buffer. The dynamic sectors(any sector that moves after the level loads) will use two different buffers(one for each SMP frame). There is no reason for both static and dynamic sectors to share the same buffers. This means a little more memory is wasted, but it will prevent pipeline stalls.

• Evil Overlord

I'm saying though that you won't necessarily know what will or won't move until you're getting the next frame ready, outside of the vanilla game anyway.

Are you saying you'll build a list as things move?

View PostMblackwell, on 19 April 2016 - 04:35 PM, said:

I'm saying though that you won't necessarily know what will or won't move until you're getting the next frame ready, outside of the vanilla game anyway.

Are you saying you'll build a list as things move?

Yes. The fact is if you have every sector in the game moving at once, then this optimization won't help. I figure for most maps the majority of sectors won't move. Until a sector moves or deforms or whatever, it will continue to use the static geo buffers. Once the sectors moves it will, from then on out, use the dynamic sector geo buffers. This means you will see a performance hit the more dynamic sectors you have in your map. Polymer and Polymost don't have this optimization, so rendering sectors is just slower then it needs to be.

As content developers you have to ensure your map makes framerate.

This post has been edited by icecoldduke: 19 April 2016 - 05:07 PM

Alright I re-uploaded the code to polymerng. So some big news I got release working and framerate is now at 60fps in E1L1!. Also I fixed the absolute paths I had in some of projects, everything should just work when you compile. I'll upload another video when I get sprites and dynamic sectors working so the above video doesn't show current framerate progress.

Terminx/Hendricks(or someone else), so I'm at a loss on why the sprite picnum's are not getting updated, can you guys walk me through how sprite animations are done on the Duke side?

This post has been edited by icecoldduke: 19 April 2016 - 10:32 PM

• Evil Overlord

It's been too long so I don't remember the internals as well, but roughly speaking... Every sprite is two structs, sprite and tspr, where tspr is what is actually being displayed (it's used in EVENT_ANIMATESPRITES). Tspr values don't necessarily match the values from the sprite struct, even outside of picnum.

User is offline   Micky C 

• Honored Donor

E1L1 is one thing, but let's see Clear the Coast at 60 Posted Image

View Posticecoldduke, on 19 April 2016 - 04:59 PM, said:

As content developers you have to ensure your map makes framerate.

Clearly you've never played any of my maps for the AMC TC

Seriously though it's good to hear you're making progress. I imagine it's not easy.

View PostMblackwell, on 19 April 2016 - 11:02 PM, said:

It's been too long so I don't remember the internals as well, but roughly speaking... Every sprite is two structs, sprite and tspr, where tspr is what is actually being displayed (it's used in EVENT_ANIMATESPRITES). Tspr values don't necessarily match the values from the sprite struct, even outside of picnum.

EDIT: Found something.

This post has been edited by icecoldduke: 20 April 2016 - 04:21 PM

I uploaded another video of Milestone 2 progress, with me playing all of E1L1 and most of E1L2(up to the strippers) This shows off working dynamic sectors, work sprite animations, release mode(so we are we at framerate), and fixed a lot of flickering geo caused by culling code. There is a couple seconds of missing audio in E2L1, my phone must have done something stupid.

This post has been edited by icecoldduke: 22 April 2016 - 01:46 PM

User is offline   Plagman 

• Former VP of Media Operations

Looking great!

• Evil Overlord

Looks good.

Should note though that the hud is mis-scaled. Not sure why. Everything draws outside of screen boundaries and is stretched along the x axis.

I fixed all of the sprite issues you guys see in the current video. I have also got masked walls rendering. I also turned off UI rendering into the depth buffer(the hud/gun no longer clips into the world).

Posted Image
Posted Image

This post has been edited by icecoldduke: 22 April 2016 - 08:16 PM

User is offline   Spiker 

This is going so fast it's almost getting out of hand Posted Image

View PostSpiker, on 22 April 2016 - 08:24 PM, said:

This is going so fast it's almost getting out of hand Posted Image

Yeah I hope I'm not over saturating things, I kinda like having a doc of my development of this project. Speaking of which I took a video with the sprite fix and I fixed the bug that caused the building in E1L2 to flicker and look weird. This is the video of the E1L2 building that falls down.

This post has been edited by icecoldduke: 22 April 2016 - 09:10 PM

User is offline   Spiker 

I just didn't know you could port the whole game in one week working alone Posted Image

View PostSpiker, on 22 April 2016 - 09:27 PM, said:

I just didn't know you could port the whole game in one week working alone Posted Image

This is where I was at on the 11th of this month.

Posted Image

That is the most the renderer could do at that point in time(and it was even bad at doing that). Took 11 days to go from that mess to:

Posted Image

There is more to do, but I want to take a second to really give credit to Plagman, Terminx, Helixhorned, and Hendricks. Without out there great work there would be no PolymerNG. You guys really can't understand how great it is to develop a port from a fantastic codebase.

This post has been edited by icecoldduke: 22 April 2016 - 09:59 PM

User is offline   Spiker 

And Helixhorned Posted Image

View PostSpiker, on 22 April 2016 - 09:52 PM, said:

And Helixhorned Posted Image

Edited to include Helix :D. Also I committed code that will load all three expansions, I was able to get in and play all the expansions. I just need to add some kind of a frontend on startup for people to choose which expansion they want to use and that's done.

This post has been edited by icecoldduke: 22 April 2016 - 11:19 PM

User is offline   TON 

It would be nice if the extra menu for effects could has an option to enable sounds of impacts for differents textures: wood, metal, crystal... like in dukeplus mod

User is offline   Danukem 

• Duke Plus Developer

View PostTON, on 23 April 2016 - 10:44 AM, said:

It would be nice if the extra menu for effects could has an option to enable sounds of impacts for differents textures: wood, metal, crystal... like in dukeplus mod

Not part of the base game and isn't going to be :D
Also off topic.

I just grabbed the latest code from the duke4 repository and integrated it into the PolymerNG branch. I decided to run BloodCM on PolymerNG on the XB1. The first person view model shows, I need to remove that and there is some flashing geo and obviously ROR doesn't work yet.

EDIT: Re-uploaded. I took out the initial monologue I did so if some this doesn't make sense initially thats why :D. When PolymerNG is complete IMO BloodCM is effectively Blood on the XB1.
REMOVED

This post has been edited by icecoldduke: 23 April 2016 - 06:43 PM

The new video is also of BloodCM but I fixed the flickering for good.

This shows E1L1 in Duke Atomic is also fixed.

Posted Image

This post has been edited by icecoldduke: 23 April 2016 - 06:49 PM

Classic Sky is also in. I will be doing another source dump to the PolymerNG public github soon. Since I'm almost done with features, and there are few more edge cases I'd like to fix with the geo rendering; after that my next objective is to get a Xbox One build, and Windows build out to people to try.

Posted Image
Posted Image

This post has been edited by icecoldduke: 23 April 2016 - 09:14 PM

User is offline   Hendricks266 

• Weaponized Autism

It looks like you're using the same octagon method as Polymer, but ideally paper-skies should function in the same manner as Classic. Is that possible?

View PostHendricks266, on 23 April 2016 - 09:12 PM, said:

It looks like you're using the same octagon method as Polymer, but ideally paper-skies should function in the same manner as Classic. Is that possible?

That is correct I am using the same octagon code to draw skies as in Polymer.

To answer your question, I do have some ideas on how to get the "paper" sky to look just like it does in classic. It should be easy enough if its implemented as a screenspace effect, rendered before everything else without depth enabled. I plan on doing all of that in a later milestone, this milestone is just getting everything up and running.

Something else to know, another optimization I did was with Sprites. In Polymer Plagman was doing some parts of the final transform matrix on the CPU and uploading that data to the GPU. For sprites we don't do that. The sprite vertex buffer is 8 vertexes, 4 vertexes for horizontal sprites, and 4 vertexes for vertical sprites. Then the matrix transforms, transform those quads into the sprites you see on screen. It was a easy enough optimization, just took Plagman's code one step futher.

I'm mentioning that because everytime I look at the sky code I know we can just send down a 2 ints and a float, and not have to upload all the garbage every frame.

For those interested this is the sky code as seen in the above images. Basically the same code as in polymer just modified to work in the PolymerNG renderer.
// Renderer_Draw_ClassicSky.cpp
//

#include "Renderer.h"
#include "build3d.h"
#include "../PolymerNG_local.h"
#include <mutex>

const int numClassicSkyPlanes = 8;

/*
=====================
RendererDrawPassDrawClassicSky::Init
=====================
*/
void RendererDrawPassDrawClassicSky::Init()
{
	float         halfsqrt2 = 0.70710678f;

artskydata[0] = -1.0f;          artskydata[1] = 0.0f;           // 0
	artskydata[2] = -halfsqrt2;     artskydata[3] = halfsqrt2;      // 1
	artskydata[4] = 0.0f;           artskydata[5] = 1.0f;           // 2
	artskydata[6] = halfsqrt2;      artskydata[7] = halfsqrt2;      // 3
	artskydata[8] = 1.0f;           artskydata[9] = 0.0f;           // 4
	artskydata[10] = halfsqrt2;     artskydata[11] = -halfsqrt2;    // 5
	artskydata[12] = 0.0f;          artskydata[13] = -1.0f;         // 6
	artskydata[14] = -halfsqrt2;    artskydata[15] = -halfsqrt2;    // 7

classicSkyRHIMesh = rhi.AllocateRHIMesh(sizeof(Build3DVertex), numClassicSkyPlanes * 4, NULL, true);

classicSkyConstantBuffer = rhi.AllocateRHIConstantBuffer(sizeof(VS_DRAWCLASSICSKY_BUFFER), &drawClassicSkyBuffer);
}

/*
=====================
RendererDrawPassDrawClassicSky::Draw
=====================
*/
void RendererDrawPassDrawClassicSky::Draw(const BuildRenderCommand &command)
{
	Build3DVertex classicSkyVertexes[8 * 4];
	float         height = 2.45f / 2.0f;

// TODO: We don't need to update a vertex buffer here. Make me go away in the next milestone!
	for (int i = 0; i < numClassicSkyPlanes; i++)
	{
		int32_t p1 = i;
		int32_t p2 = (i + 1) & (numClassicSkyPlanes - 1);

classicSkyVertexes[(i * 4) + 1].SetVertex(Build3DVector4(artskydata[(p1 * 2) + 1], height, artskydata[p1 * 2], 1.0f), Build3DVector4(0.0f, 0.0f, 0.0f, 0.0f));
		classicSkyVertexes[(i * 4) + 0].SetVertex(Build3DVector4(artskydata[(p1 * 2) + 1], -height, artskydata[p1 * 2], 1.0f), Build3DVector4(0.0f, 1.0f, 0.0f, 0.0f));
		classicSkyVertexes[(i * 4) + 2].SetVertex(Build3DVector4(artskydata[(p2 * 2) + 1], -height, artskydata[p2 * 2], 1.0f), Build3DVector4(1.0f, 1.0f, 0.0f, 0.0f));
		classicSkyVertexes[(i * 4) + 3].SetVertex(Build3DVector4(artskydata[(p2 * 2) + 1], height, artskydata[p2 * 2], 1.0f), Build3DVector4(1.0f, 0.0f, 0.0f, 0.0f));
	}

rhi.UpdateRHIMesh(classicSkyRHIMesh, 0, sizeof(Build3DVertex), numClassicSkyPlanes * 4, classicSkyVertexes);

BuildImage *image = static_cast<BuildImage *>(command.taskRenderWorld.skyImageHandle);
	drawClassicSkyBuffer.mWorldViewProj = command.taskRenderWorld.skyProjMatrix;
	//drawSpriteBuffer.modelMatrix = sprite->modelMatrix;
	classicSkyConstantBuffer->UpdateBuffer(&drawClassicSkyBuffer, sizeof(VS_DRAWCLASSICSKY_BUFFER), 0);

rhi.SetConstantBuffer(0, classicSkyConstantBuffer);

rhi.SetImageForContext(0, image->GetRHITexture());
	rhi.SetImageForContext(1, polymerNG.GetPaletteImage()->GetRHITexture());

rhi.DrawUnoptimizedQuad(renderer.albedoSimpleProgram->GetRHIShader(), classicSkyRHIMesh, 0, numClassicSkyPlanes * 4);
}

This post has been edited by icecoldduke: 23 April 2016 - 09:38 PM

Room Over Room works.

Posted Image

This post has been edited by icecoldduke: 23 April 2016 - 11:42 PM

User is offline   Spiker 

View Posticecoldduke, on 23 April 2016 - 11:40 PM, said:

Room Over Room works.
The panes are above the windows! This is terrible! Posted Image Just kidding, great job! Posted Image

This post has been edited by Spiker: 23 April 2016 - 11:54 PM

Share this topic:

• 41 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options