Duke4.net Forums: Shadow's Bane - custom lightsaber build COMPLETE - Duke4.net Forums

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Shadow's Bane - custom lightsaber build COMPLETE  "All done and duel-worthy!"

User is offline   MusicallyInspired 

• The Sarien Encounter

If I do, I'm counting on you to do just that. I've taken almost a year planning this so if I don't get it right I deserve it.

User is offline   Forge 

• Speaker of the Outhouse

oh, I'm sure you'll put it together right - it's the moment you turn it on and start swinging it around that children, table lamps, and ceiling fans become a liability.

• The Sarien Encounter

Attached Image: 14238174_10154394623066605_1431736904464801487_n.jpgAttached Image: 14316821_10154394623401605_7862855802194426285_n.jpg
Attached Image: 14184292_10154394623491605_5428825983103426035_n.jpgAttached Image: 14316916_10154394623591605_2775589350862765782_n.jpg

Started soldering to the board last night. Had it all working albeit with a couple problems. At first the emitter LED was constantly on and didn't turn off. Discovered it was just a bridged connection on the board pads and solved that problem. Then I realized that I wired it all up without putting all the hilt parts on so I had to desolder them to get everything in the right way. then after I resoldered it I had the constant LED problem again. So I soldered AGAIN and now it won't even turn on. I think I'm just using too much solder. I suck at soldering. Going to try again to clean off all the soldering off the pads and start over. It was exciting though, having one successful test. If I would have just wired it up through the hilt parts correctly I'd be done.

This post has been edited by MusicallyInspired: 09 September 2016 - 05:20 AM

User is offline   Forge 

geez dude, it only takes one little teeny eye-drop of material to hold the connection - you're soldering, not welding

• The Sarien Encounter

Doesn't work for me. Maybe it's my iron? Maybe I need a replacement head. Maybe I'll get one after work today...

User is offline   Forge 

View PostMusicallyInspired, on 09 September 2016 - 06:00 AM, said:

Doesn't work for me. Maybe it's my iron? Maybe I need a replacement head. Maybe I'll get one after work today...

maybe. if it's not heating your connection enough you'll end up with globs.

• The Sarien Encounter

I notice that the tip/point doesn't melt solder well at all like the cone sides itself does. That makes being precise extremely difficult.

• The Sarien Encounter

Practically finished!

It works! Sounds, lights, flickers, clash, ignite, disengage. The only thing that doesn't is the switch LED, of which I ruined the resistor for. But I just need to buy a new one and then throw that on too. Also need a chassis for the battery and board. Don't want bridged connections from the pad/wire connections touching the hilt itself. Also need a blade retention screw hole drilled somehow still and a screw hole for the belt clip covertec knob. Also filled my blade with cellophane film. Also looks good. Oh, and I need to come up with something for the kill key (right now it's just a piece of plastic sticking out of the charge port). I don't know if I'll make one myself or buy one somewhere. I'm not sure where to being to customize it myself so far....I'll keep my eyes open, maybe a cool little pin or button would work.

So excited to get to the very end of this journey, but I'm so happy that I didn't screw anything up and fry the board or blow up the battery or something (though, the battery is protected so that won't happen anyway). Can't wait to go open carry with this baby...now I just need a costume...

Attached Image: hilt1.jpg Attached Image: hilt_plug.jpg Attached Image: hiltbladeoff.jpg Attached Image: hiltbladeon.jpg

This post has been edited by MusicallyInspired: 09 September 2016 - 08:19 PM

User is offline   Forge 

View PostMusicallyInspired, on 09 September 2016 - 08:16 PM, said:

now I just need a costume...

Posted Image

User is offline   Hendricks266 

• Weaponized Autism

• The Sarien Encounter

We took a family photo. My wife wants one now (a purple one). :D

Posted Image

This post has been edited by MusicallyInspired: 16 September 2016 - 08:06 PM

User is offline   Forge 

let the domestic violence begin

good thing canada has socialized health care

• The Sarien Encounter

Many knuckles were cracked and many bruises were had that night.

User is offline   Lunick 

The little girl looks a lot like the woman in the picture in the background :D

Nicely done, kudos! Now you can go to any rough cantina no problemo

• The Sarien Encounter

View PostLunick, on 16 September 2016 - 08:19 PM, said:

The little girl looks a lot like the woman in the picture in the background :D

She should. That woman in the painting is her mother. :D That was a 10th anniversary present I got my dad to paint just this July.

• The Sarien Encounter

I made my first saberfont for my lightsaber. It would work better with blue or orange though...

(the swings are sparse and the clashes are far too frequent because I still don't have anything inside holding the board and battery still)

• The Sarien Encounter

Bought a few extra supplies. A plastic electronic shield tube to serve as a chassis for the battery, wiring, and sound board, a replacement dynaOhm resistor for the AV switch so it can actually light up now, a more legit looking kill key, some extra wiring, a "photon blade" (chemically treated to eat up blue light and shift the wavelength to an even more vibrant green), a blue LED module for the photon blade, and a couple JST connectors so that I can easily swap out LED modules if I want to go back to the green (which I do, but I'll explain that below). Here's some photos:

New kill key and lit AV switch:
Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

From left to right, the new blue LED with my original trans-white blade, the new photon blade, the photon blade unlit, and the photon blade close-up. As you can see it's not really that green which is a little disappointing. The photos people would share were looked quite different to mine. As you can see on the closeup picture there's a bit of a blue core still visible which casts this ugly turquoise colour that I despise:
Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

From left to right, the original green LED with my original trans-white blade and the photon blade, which is my favourite look out of all of them. The trans-white blade kind of dilutes the colour and gives a sort of milky green, but with the photon blade, it doesn't light up as much as with a blue LED, but it still gives a fairly powerful green light and one that's more vibrant than the milky trans-white green. In the pictures here it looks like the photon is dimmer but that darker shade of green in the photon blade core is probably just an effect of the blade and light with the camera lens or something. You can see that it's casting a bit of a brighter and richer green on the desk and surrounding objects:
Posted ImagePosted Image

However, some have told me that it's supposed to be quite a bit brighter and a little greener with blue (and indeed their photos are far more brilliant and vibrant). My blade is just straight transparent with some cellophane film inside, though. Others have suggested I take some sand paper to it and sand it down to diffuse the light better towards the edges. Someone showed me a photo of their blade pre-sanded and then post-sanded and the difference is quite noticeable and the blue core is much less visible to boot. So I'll keep you all updated on that. But I'm already realizing that the photon blade is not what I expected it to be. Not that I regret getting it, I'm trying to get first-hand experience with as much in this hobby as I can. So for anyone considering lightsabers and considering a photon blade, know that they are quite bright, but not like you think and the colour is not exactly a pure green like the photos portray.

This post has been edited by MusicallyInspired: 05 October 2016 - 08:13 PM

• The Sarien Encounter

Finally finished with this bad boy! Shadow's Bane is finally complete. Finally was able to get blade retention set screw and covertec wheel screw holes drilled and tapped. Now I can duel until my heart's content and wear it on my belt. Down the road I might experiment with powder coating or enamel paint baking for colours, but for now I pronounce this thing fully functional and finished!

Attached Image: 14639727_10154544033466605_9031211137038008473_n.jpg Attached Image: 14900528_10154544033541605_7972840238242939108_n.jpg Attached Image: 14900612_10154544033696605_5670026277298224822_n.jpg

• The Sarien Encounter

Was at C4Winnipeg Comicon on the weekend. The family and I got a picture with R2D2 with all our sabers. Thing was so cool, had all the flashing lights, sounds, the dome swivled, and it moved around by remote control.

Posted Image

User is offline   Forge 

totally missed your halloween opportunity

Posted Image

This post has been edited by Forge: 01 November 2016 - 10:36 AM

• The Sarien Encounter

I spent all my money on saber stuff. I was hoping to find a Dark Helmet or anything from Spaceballs cosplayer, but alas...

• The Sarien Encounter

Going over ideas for colourization. I went through a few colour schemes that were way too busy with too many colours before I settled on one I really liked. Which is this one:

Posted Image

Then I did a mockup in Photoshop of what it might look like. Looks so nice! Especially after some weathering maybe.

Posted Image

I don't really have anything to say or add, but DANG MBC and myself have enjoyed this thread. :)
I don't really want one (that fancy) but I can appreciate this whole process and I find it awesome your family is involved. We don't really enjoy similar things as a family, with the exception of a few video games and dolls/action figures.
Anyway, thank you for sharing all these great posts. :mellow:

CatNapDreams

• The Sarien Encounter

Thanks! I'm glad you enjoyed it.

User is offline   JaseSerre 

Hi everyone...i am a new user here.As per my knowledge the moment TCSS is quite out of stock of many of their hilt part items due to TFA. A lot of sabersmiths out there are behind actually. Still, some people can get as good results or even better by shopping hardware stores. I've seen very close movie replicas made for under $30. Still others craft their own with a lathe right from a raw cylinder of aluminum.

User is offline   TerminX 

• el fundador

View PostJaseSerre, on 01 February 2017 - 06:37 AM, said:

Hi everyone...i am a new user here.As per my knowledge the moment TCSS is quite out of stock of many of their hilt part items due to TFA. A lot of sabersmiths out there are behind actually. Still, some people can get as good results or even better by shopping hardware stores. I've seen very close movie replicas made for under $30. Still others craft their own with a lathe right from a raw cylinder of aluminum.

Welcome to the forums.

• The Sarien Encounter

Yes, welcome. Nice to see another enthusiast/hobbyist. TCSS actually recently has restocked a fair amount of their emitter parts which is good news. I have seen many convincing hardware store replica props, though none of them are duel worthy.

User is offline   Striker 

• Auramancer

Hey MusicallyInspired, still have the loose sound files for your Doom 2016 saber soundfont? I'm currently working on a multiplayer mod for Star Wars: Jedi Knight 2 - Jedi Outcast, and one of it's features is to be able to select your own saber soundfont in-game. If you're ok with it, I'd love to add it to the mod. You'd be credited (It'll literally say "Rip & Tear (by: MusicallyInspired)" in the selection menu.)

This post has been edited by Striker: 13 March 2017 - 09:24 PM

• The Sarien Encounter

Normally I wouldn't mind if it was any other case. However, Rip And Tear is currently for sale on Saberfont.com (just went up within the past couple weeks actually, along with my Portal-themed "Test Subject" font) and I don't really want it to be available for free anywhere else for someone to get it alternatively. I spent a lot of time and effort putting it together, you understand. But thank you for asking. :P

Share this topic:

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options