Duke4.net Forums: Shadow's Bane - custom lightsaber build COMPLETE - Duke4.net Forums

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Shadow's Bane - custom lightsaber build COMPLETE  "All done and duel-worthy!"

User is offline   MusicallyInspired 

• The Sarien Encounter

So I had mentioned a while back somewhere that I was building my own lightsaber hilt and some expressed some interest in my progress, which I'll document here. I plan to go to the hardware store and buy random parts to put together for my kids with sink tubes and such. But this one I'm making for myself will be made from parts from The Custom Saber Shop which has a collection of custom-crafted interchangeable threaded parts that you can build your own unique looking sabers with. I selected 6 parts that will be the base for mine.

Here's what I currently have:

Attached Image: 20160122_161231.jpg

After this picture was taken I bought two more parts (a choke and a short cone-shaped pommel) which I've put together like so:

Attached Image: 20160219_163713.jpg
Attached Image: 20160219_163613.jpg

It's quite bigger than I expected at about 13" I think (cue obligatory 'that's what she said' jokes). Which I wasn't intending, but it's really grown on me. The only part that I think I'll change is to swap the positions of the grooved and smooth sections. The power switch and recharge port will be in the smooth section so I'd rather have that part higher up the hilt.

I also bought these electronics a while back to set me up for the future. Pictured here is a "premium speaker" from TCSS and a Nano Biscotte v3 sound board which controls the LED/flashes and the speaker. It also holds a micro SD card which can hold up to two saberfonts that you can alternate between. It's got settings for 8 swings, 8 clashes, saber ignition, saber deactivation, idle hum, and a bootup sound that plays to identify the selected saberfont. This is the cheapest sound board out there (about $65 USD I think) and can be bought from TCSS. There are better boards on the store and elsewhere as well that support more types of sounds (blaster deflect, saberlock, force powers, even background music if you want, etc) and can trigger more specific motions than just generic movement for certain sounds. They also have more available sound banks for more saberfonts at once per sd card. The prices for these boards can range up to $200 each.

Attached Image: nbv3_ps.jpg

I've just made a much larger order this morning which should get me up to about 90% of what I need to finish. Wires, LED, LED lens, LED heat sink module, AV switch, recharge port, kill key, thumb/set/socket screws, covertec knob (for mounting on your belt), a 38" thick-walled poly-carbonate blade, and a slew of other things. The colour LED I chose was green. I could easily set it up so that the LED is wired with a connector that can attach to another connector that runs to the NBv3 board, that way I could swap out LED modules later with different colours if I want. But for now seeing as it's my first build I'll just hardwire it up. I can always change it later anyway. I also sent in one of my hilt parts (a smooth 3" double female threaded connector part) to be drilled with a recessed switch hole and charge port hole (a service which TCSS also provides) as I can't really do that myself...at least not yet.

So the next step is to wait until those parts come in and my switch/recharge hole part comes back. After that I can get started on wiring the sucker up before I install it. I can at least test it at that point. I still need a few other things to finish up, though. I have to drill a blade retention screw hole in the blade holder part and a screw hole for the covertec knob on the bottom. I also need to buy a battery (18650 li-ion).

Many thanks to those that bought some of those old games off me, it's helped my fundraising for this project! :D

Here's a little Photoshop edit I did to get an idea of what it might look like, enjoy:

Attached Image: MHS ignite.jpg
Attached Image: 20160122_180944.jpg

This post has been edited by MusicallyInspired: 28 October 2016 - 03:15 PM

User is offline   Forge 

• Speaker of the Outhouse

if you want to get fancy, you can have the handle powder-coated (a couple different colors to accent the grooves)

• The Sarien Encounter

Yes, I've been thinking about that. I could have sent that to get done as well, but I think I'd only like inside the grooves coated and not the entire thing (which TCSS only does now). As far as hilt aesthetics go, I'm just getting started. I was thinking about adding a sink tube over top and cutting a design out of it. We'll see what happens.

User is offline   Malgon 

I've only had a brief look through TCSS site, and the amount of stuff on there is staggering. Props to all the people who take the time to construct their own personalised Lightsaber. Looking forward to seeing further progress on this!

• The Sarien Encounter

It is cool. Though, at the moment TCSS is quite out of stock of many of their hilt part items due to TFA. A lot of sabersmiths out there are behind actually. Still, some people can get as good results or even better by shopping hardware stores. I've seen very close movie replicas made for under $30. Still others craft their own with a lathe right from a raw cylinder of aluminum. Talented crazy people out there.

User is offline   Forge 

going to attend a lightsaber academy when you're done?

• The Sarien Encounter

None in my area. That I know of. I do plan on doing a little sparring with my sister, though. And of course the kids.

This post has been edited by MusicallyInspired: 13 April 2016 - 05:21 AM

• The Sarien Encounter

My hilt pieces haven't arrived yet (probably won't for a while), but in the meantime I picked up a cheap grabbag saber from UltraSabers for my daughter. A grabbag saber is a random hilt they have lying around that isn't being used, was returned, or possibly in some way blemished. It comes with a random LED colour, no sound, and a random style blade (if you want). Or you can pay extra to get a specific colour or type of blade (the length is still random). I left everything to chance but got a blade plug for when the blade isn't being used. Turned out to be a sweet black hilt with a red LED with no obvious problems that I can see. Perfect rivalry for my son's official Hasbro toy saber. She loved it. I let her open the package not knowing what it was and then when she saw what it was I told her it was for her. She goes, "What?!"

I think I've done some pretty good dadding this month.

Attached thumbnail(s)

• Attached Image: grabbag1.jpg
  • Attached Image: grabbag2.jpg
  • Attached Image: grabbag4.jpg
  • Attached Image: grabbag5.jpg

This post has been edited by MusicallyInspired: 25 April 2016 - 06:03 PM

User is offline   Hank 

View PostMusicallyInspired, on 25 April 2016 - 06:02 PM, said:

May the Force run strong in your family. Posted Image

User is offline   Forge 

View PostMusicallyInspired, on 25 April 2016 - 06:02 PM, said:

teaching your kids to beat on each other with colored glowing sticks; Go dad!

• The Sarien Encounter

Just got an email today saying the TCSS order that I placed a month ago is ready for shipping! I also sent in my part for switch and recharge port hole drilling so that's being sent back with it, as I mentioned in the OP.

Order details below. You can check the TCSS website for what some of these actually are, but basically it's almost everything I need to start building and getting my lightsaber functioning right away, save for the li-ion battery I still need to get and a special variable resistor I forgot to order. Actually, the resistors I DID order were wrong too. So I bought some cheap ones on eBay (shipping was way cheaper so it wasn't a bad deal. Now I have extra for future projects!).

1 of: Black machined button for Covertec clip
1 of: MPS Clip
1 of: MPS Insert style 7
1 of: Kill plug style 6
1 of: Trans White Battle blade 1" OD (38 inches)
1 of: 8-32 x 1/4" Set screw
1 of: 8-32 x 1/8" Set screw
1 of: Recharge port hole service (Style 1)
1 of: 8-32 x 3/8" Set Screw
1 of: 26 gauge wire (sold by the foot) (Blue)
1 of: 26 gauge wire (sold by the foot) (Red)
1 of: 26 gauge wire (sold by the foot) (White)
1 of: 26 gauge wire (sold by the foot) (Yellow)
1 of: 26 gauge wire (sold by the foot) (Green)
1 of: 26 gauge wire (sold by the foot) (Orange)
1 of: 26 gauge wire (sold by the foot) (Black)
2 of: Super Lube Synthetic Grease
1 of: Machine recessed 16mm AV switch hole
6 of: 1ohm 2w resistor
1 of: Collimator Lens 5 deg viewing angle
1 of: Cree/Rebel Lens Holder
1 of: 8-32 x 1/4" socket head
1 of: MHS speaker mount V2 - For 28mm Speakers
1 of: 16mm Anti Vandal Short Momentary White Ring Switch
1 of: 8-32 x .3" Gold thumb screw
1 of: Star thermal tape pad - Single LED
3 of: 1/16" Heatshrink tubing
1 of: 1/8" Heatshrink tubing
1 of: Switchcraft 2.1mm Power Jack
1 of: MHS Heat Sink V4 (Flat Style)
1 of: 3.7V-14.8V Li-Ion Smart charger
1 of: 2.1mm plug adapter for smart charger
1 of: 3/32" Heatshrink tubing
1 of: Green Cree XP-E2 CopperNova LED

This post has been edited by MusicallyInspired: 13 May 2016 - 06:17 PM

User is offline   Forge 

View PostMusicallyInspired, on 13 May 2016 - 06:15 PM, said:

2 of: Super Lube Synthetic Grease

I have suspicions about the actual requirement of this.^

"You have been defeated in an honorable dual. Prepare to be skewered."

This post has been edited by Forge: 13 May 2016 - 06:21 PM

• The Sarien Encounter

It was highly recommended for the threads between the MHS parts. Aluminum needs love too.

• The Sarien Encounter

Just arrived today. More photos and details to follow...

Posted Image

• The Sarien Encounter

Ok. Finally got to do some unboxing. Here's some photos. There's a lot here so I'm not going to take individual photos of every single item, but suffice it to say it's all here exactly as I ordered and the changes I requested after purchasing were all made exactly as I wanted with fantastic cooperation from Tim (the guy who runs The Custom Saber Shop). He responded to almost all of my emails both before and after I made my order and was very helpful (if succinct and brief, but he's probably dealing with a lot of emails so I let it pass). The changes I requested was to exchange the 24 gauge wire I ordered for 26 gauge instead (which was the same price) and 4 of the 6 1ohm resistors I ordered for a dynaowhm variable resistor which was a little more expensive. I didn't get a reply to that email requesting the latter exchange, but he did make it, as I was exceedingly happy to discover when I opened the package.

Still left to acquire:
-Li-Ion rechargeable battery (either 3.7v or 7.4v. The 3.7 would be perfect but he's out of stock of those)
-Screw tapping set (for the blade retention and covertec wheel screws)
-Reflective film to diffuse and spread the light more evenly and brightly inside the blade

Anyway, on to the photos.

Attached Image: 20160518_185459.jpg
Attached Image: 20160518_185749.jpg
Attached Image: 20160518_190558.jpg
Attached Image: 20160518_191444.jpg
Attached Image: 20160518_191605.jpg

And here's everything I've acquired up until now together.

Attached Image: 20160518_201704.jpg

This post has been edited by MusicallyInspired: 18 May 2016 - 05:19 PM

User is offline   LkMax 

Posted Image

8-P

User is offline   MrBlackCat 

That is so cool! How long will it take you to build it?
I have one also... is plastic, has a flashlight and collapses. :)
Hehehe

MrBlackCat

• The Sarien Encounter

I'm not sure. It's my first time so I'm going to be careful and take my time. The parts were expensive (well, the shipping was anyway) especially with the Canadian exchange being tanked. The whole process could be finished within 45-60 mins if you know what you're doing. However, I've got a lot more work to do than just putting a premade hilt all together. I've still got to tap some screw holes which I've never done before. It'll be a while yet. I also want to do SOMETHING with the hilt so it's not just a boring shiny piece of silver aluminum. Some colours or black or brass or something here and there. Or I might just leave it as is for my first hilt. Getting everything wired and working will be a success in itself. Then for my next one I can do a little more work on the hilt. Maybe make it a stunt saber (LED only, no sound) so I can lighten the load and spend more time on the hilt aesthetics. Then once I learn enough there I can either do another with a full setup (maybe with a Tri-Cree LED with multiple colours) or go back to this one and pretty up the hilt a bit.

Sigh. All up in the air. I just need to get this one done first and see if I even enjoy doing it. If not, maybe I'll just stick to buying premade hilts and creating saber soundfonts (I'm working on a Portal one already that's almost done and have ideas for a Star Trek TNG and electric guitar-based ones).

• The Sarien Encounter

It's been a while. I tried to order the lithium-ion battery I needed a while back but it wouldn't ship due to customs issues. So it's taken this long for TCSS to restock Canadian-friendly batteries. I just ordered one today and I'm all excited again! Just need to drill some screw holes for blade retention, LED retention, and the covertec wheel (for belt clip) and that will make it complete.

• The Sarien Encounter

I just realized that Canada Post is going on strike next week.....just my luck. More waiting...

User is offline   Forge 

where the hell do you live? I'm about 2 to 2 1/2 hours from vancouver. I'll throw one over the fence if you're close enough

• The Sarien Encounter

15 minutes west of a small town an hour west of Winnipeg. I need a 3400mah 3.7w 18650 PCB protected li-ion rechargeable battery. I've already bought it now and it's marked shipped. No takesie backsies.

User is offline   Forge 

yeah.
i wouldn't drive 20+ hours to north dakota to throw a damn battery over a fence anyway.

• The Sarien Encounter

I wouldn't expect you to.

User is offline   Forge 

After that much driving, I'd expect you to jedi that shit over the fence

• The Sarien Encounter

So that Canada Post strike has been averted! Part came in yesterday! Picked it up from the post office today. Now I've got almost everything I need to get it at least tested and going. Just need to get some supplies like solder and whatnot and I can get started! I do still need to find someone with a drillpress to drill the screw holes (3 of them), but all in good time. At least I can have it "working."

Attached Image: li-ion_battery.jpg

• The Sarien Encounter

Doing a bit of preliminary experimenting. Both the main LED and the AV switch ring LED light up, so the battery must work. :D Tomorrow I'll try to pick up some solder and really get started.

Attached Image: prelim_experimenting.jpg

Main blade LED:
Attached Image: ledgreen_off.jpgAttached Image: ledgreen_on.jpg

Switch LED:
Attached Image: ledwhite_off.jpgAttached Image: ledwhite_on.jpg

This post has been edited by MusicallyInspired: 03 September 2016 - 07:40 PM

• The Sarien Encounter

Laying out my wiring diagram.

Posted Image

• The Sarien Encounter

Just got back from Canadian Tire. I am ready. I'm so psyched.

Attached Image: tools.jpg

This post has been edited by MusicallyInspired: 06 September 2016 - 05:11 PM

User is offline   Forge 

I'm all happy for you, but don't get this thing together just to break it within five minutes because you did something idiotic. I'd have to make fun of you for it.

Share this topic:

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options