Duke4.net Forums: SiN - Duke4.net Forums

• 8 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

SiN  "Blade's got a better attitude than Duke imo"

SiN was so underrated. I wish they make a full remaster someday.

User is offline   Outtagum 

There's SiN: Gold, which is the original with some updated features and fixes.

Then there's SiN: Reloaded which is rebuilt in a new engine with HD models and textures.

This post has been edited by Outtagum: 05 October 2020 - 08:41 AM

I wonder if they'll tighten up or offer optional changes to the gameplay. Kind of like they did with Turok. For some reason the combat in SiN never did a lot for me, though Levelord and the fun vibe of the game I dig a lot.

User is offline   Aristotle Gumball 

• banned!

These remasters are so awesome. Someone mentioned here a while ago that Q2 engine downscaled textures, so games ended up looking worse than they needed to be. I'm not sure how true that is on a technical level, but 1998-1999 brought us some blurry monstrosities. A lot of them don't really hold up for me because of the graphics, which I don't find to be the case with the 2.5D era of shooters. As it stands Vanilla Quake 2 looks like absolute ass to me and so does Sin and Kingpin. I played both back in the day, but I'm holding off on revisiting them until these remasters come out.

This post has been edited by Cartaphallus: 05 October 2020 - 03:29 PM

View PostOuttagum, on 05 October 2020 - 08:30 AM, said:

There's SiN: Gold, which is the original with some updated features and fixes.

Then there's SiN: Reloaded which is rebuilt in a new engine with HD models and textures.

To me, it's more of an HD pack than a full remaster.

User is offline   wnderer 

I'm playing it now and it's a game where I'm enjoying it for a while and then I hit a really annoying part. My philosophy of game play is that repetitive sucks. That stealth level I had do it over and over again just to try to figure what I'm supposed to be doing. Alarm goes off, reload again. In the first levels they beat it into you that you are not supposed to kill civilians but suddenly it's okay to kill unarmed nurses and techs. In the missile level, is it written anywhere in the manual that F11 inspects the inventory? I had no idea how to get the launch code out of the envelope. It didn't help that the mod I'm using to change the graphic to 1920x1080 cuts off the bottom of the in game computer screens so I don't see it asking for the code. In the beginning of the missile level, if you use the sniper rifle from the tower to kill the bad guys on the ground, the bodies will disappear before you get down there and take the key card you need to get into the building. As long as you're fighting bad guys the game is great but the missions themselves are messed up.

User is offline   OpenMaw 

• Judge Mental

View PostCartaphallus, on 05 October 2020 - 03:27 PM, said:

These remasters are so awesome. Someone mentioned here a while ago that Q2 engine downscaled textures, so games ended up looking worse than they needed to be. I'm not sure how true that is on a technical level, but 1998-1999 brought us some blurry monstrosities. A lot of them don't really hold up for me because of the graphics, which I don't find to be the case with the 2.5D era of shooters. As it stands Vanilla Quake 2 looks like absolute ass to me and so does Sin and Kingpin. I played both back in the day, but I'm holding off on revisiting them until these remasters come out.

I don't recall Quake 2 ever downsizing textures. What it does is add ugly filtering which can and should be disabled for all games of that era.

User is offline   NightFright 

• The Truth is in here

I would say any Q2 engine game should be played with software rendering if possible or at least with bilinear filtering turned off in GL mode. Texture resolution was still too low for that feature. Everything looked smeared and blurry with it. Of course, back then it was seen as a spectacular feature.

User is offline   Aristotle Gumball 

• banned!

View PostOpenMaw, on 11 October 2020 - 03:42 PM, said:

I don't recall Quake 2 ever downsizing textures.

This is where I read about it: https://forums.duke4...ndpost&p=312417
Also here: http://www.chebmaster.com/q2facelift/

This post has been edited by Cartaphallus: 17 October 2020 - 01:58 PM

User is offline   OpenMaw 

• Judge Mental

That is so strange. Huh.

• The Truth is in here

I always thought that the Q2 textures couldn't have possibly been that low-res in the first place. I guess modern ports like Yamagi Q2 are offering methods to fix that.

User is offline   JohnBlade 

Does anybody have any news on the SiN Reloaded? I think it will be an amazing game as the game mechanics should stay exactly same...

I checked the steam forums and ddg news and nothing there...

User is offline   Outtagum 

Finally an update!

It's on hold. :mellow:

https://twitter.com/...074448045096977

• The Truth is in here

They might be working on the Q2 remaster instead. It's safe to assume this would have higher priority.

User is offline   Pirandello 

Sup Sinners, an interesting little pickup off ebay. Haven’t had a chance to run it but im
assuming its no different than the public 98 demo that was released. Haven’t seen any info or pics on this sinday disc tho.

Attached Image: IMG_3636.jpeg

This post has been edited by Pirandello: 28 December 2023 - 10:33 AM

User is offline   jkas789 

View PostPirandello, on 28 December 2023 - 10:32 AM, said:

Sup Sinners, an interesting little pickup off ebay. Haven’t had a chance to run it but im
assuming its no different than the public 98 demo that was released. Haven’t seen any info or pics on this sinday disc tho.

Attachment IMG_3636.jpeg

>Sinday Bloody Sinday.
Heh.

This post has been edited by jkas789: 29 December 2023 - 01:43 PM

Share this topic:

• 8 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options