• Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Blood corner  "For Blood 1 & 2 related talk."

User is offline   Zaxx 

• Banned

John Romero working on Blood 5 confirmed:
Posted Image
Hey, if Fallout 76 could skip ahead 71 installments then this is possible too!

User is offline   Master O 

View PostDoom64hunter, on 09 December 2018 - 02:06 AM, said:

Why would it?

Because now both Devolver Digital and NightDive will not pay whatever WB's price is for Blood's IP rights. If the two most likely companies to go through the effort won't do it, then no one else will.

User is offline   Jim 

View PostJimmy 4k, on 09 December 2018 - 12:57 AM, said:

You are the same kind of person who thought Gearbox buying Duke Nukem Forever was a good thing.

Blood works flawlessly in DOSBox. Blood is not dead.

This will prolong the release of the source code, perhaps forever.

Blood is not flawless in Dosbox, the difficulty bug, for one thing

User is offline   Manhs 

Mouse control is awful in the dosbox version and the game is not so smooth, the real way to play BLOOD actually is to get a win97 PC and Blood game, better than dosbox overall, smoother/faster, so yeah, about being "purist" :)
Why people are so slanderous and can't let BLOOD and his community in peace and with hype?
A lot of people are happy about what is happening but you have always a group of selfish people who like to kill the joy because they would want have owned the project themselves for a game who is more than 20years ago, sad.
Move on and be happy BLOOD is no fully dead.

User is offline   MusicallyInspired 

• The Sarien Encounter

There's also high resolution and widescreen to consider.

User is offline   leilei 

I just hope that Atari actually does have some actual Blood rights and not think they have something that's actually lapsed and setting a troublesome legal situation up with Night Dive vs WBGames in the future. Just look at what happened to Star Control...

This post has been edited by leilei: 09 December 2018 - 08:39 PM

View Postleilei, on 09 December 2018 - 08:32 PM, said:

I just hope that Atari actually does have some actual Blood rights and not think they have something that's actually lapsed and setting a troublesome legal situation up with Night Dive vs WBGames in the future. Just look at what happened to Star Control...

Or the Duke 3D expansions that were included in Megaton Edition.

User is offline   Manhs 

Wasn't megaton edition of Duke Nukem 3D released on steam before Duke Nukem Forever (and the problems) before?

Not the same situation i think?

• The Sarien Encounter

Megaton was removed from Steam, though, likely due to license issues with those expansions. At least, according to Randy.

User is offline   leilei 

View PostManhs, on 10 December 2018 - 08:38 AM, said:

Wasn't megaton edition of Duke Nukem 3D released on steam before Duke Nukem Forever (and the problems) before?

Not the same situation i think?

Megaton's after Forever's release

are we really getting 2011-2013 blurred now? :|

User is offline   Zaxx 

• Banned

View PostMusicallyInspired, on 10 December 2018 - 08:45 AM, said:

At least, according to Randy.

And this is the part where we have ask ourselves if we want to believe a snake oil salesman or not.

Anyway if we're talking about expansions I'm curious about the inclusion of Cryptic Passage: will it happen?

User is offline   Jimmy 

• Let's go Brandon!

Considering the type of businessman Scott Miller is, I could fully believe he was selling things that he had no idea whether he had the rights to figuring no one would find a lawsuit worthwhile.

Randy on the other hand is the type of businessman who doesn't give a shit to bother finding out, and thinks you're stupid because you want him to.

User is offline   OpenMaw 

• Judge Mental

View PostMusicallyInspired, on 10 December 2018 - 08:45 AM, said:

Megaton was removed from Steam, though, likely due to license issues with those expansions. At least, according to Randy.

I just can't buy that.

The more likely reasoning is because it would have conflicted with the sales of World Tour. Direct competition. That much is obvious.

• The Sarien Encounter

They could have put it back on Steam after like The Odd Gentlemen and Sierra did with King's Quest 2015 and the classic King's Quest Collection.

• Judge Mental

That would have been the sensible thing to do.

When they crushed Megaton Edition they basically pinched a piece of flame for the community. I know a few of the Megaton people just moved over to the Doom community at that point. Not a good move.

On the other hand, if World Tour did not have proprietary content and had included everything that WT had, then it would have been fine. Everyone could have moved over to WT without an issue.

User is offline   Mr. Tibbs 

Even worse than the advertorial 76 doco, NoClip's forever on my shit list for calling Blood (1997) an "uninspired Doom clone." Shameful stuff.

https://twitter.com/...184453114548224

This post has been edited by Mr. Tibbs: 11 December 2018 - 05:14 PM

• Judge Mental

View PostMr. Tibbs, on 11 December 2018 - 04:30 PM, said:

Even worse than the advertorial 76 doco, NoClip's forever on my shit list for calling Blood (1997) "uninspired Doom clone." Shameful stuff.

Yeahhhh... That really had me going "waitaminute... What!?"

I love NoClip's stuff, but wow... That was not cool.

Dark Forces is an uninspired Doom clone, it is just "Star Wars Doom" and isn't worth anybody's time. - A bunch of idiots in the past who likely didn't bother actually playing the game properly. I guess some things just don't change.

Recently tested Blood II's netcode with an internet friend, it was... interesting;
Attached File  20181211233119.JPG (364.09K)
Number of downloads: 23

Attached File  20181211231904.JPG (420.98K)
Number of downloads: 16

Projectiles do some weird things, among other problems.

User is offline   Zaxx 

• Banned

As for the worries that Nightdive may be doing something that's not exactly legal here I think this kinda settles that:
https://twitter.com/...624962891063296
I mean if a WB company says "we're fine with it"...

This post has been edited by Zaxx: 11 December 2018 - 04:48 PM

User is offline   Hendricks266 

• Weaponized Autism

View PostZaxx, on 11 December 2018 - 04:47 PM, said:

As for the worries that Nightdive may be doing something that's not exactly legal here I think this kinda settles that:
https://twitter.com/...624962891063296
I mean if a WB company says "we're fine with it"...

Incorrect. Monolith can state the personal opinions held within the studio but that has no bearing on WB management, those who actually wield the power.

For example: https://twitter.com/...667687530778624

User is offline   Manhs 

It's nice to see they are happy for the come back of BLOOD with Night Dive Studios, i remember they posted nothing when it was the anniversary of BLOOD for the 20 years, it was really sad and they posted only for the anniversary of the other games. So it's cool to see they noticed it (even if it's not the same team of the 90's).

User is offline   Jimmy 

• Let's go Brandon!

View PostCommando Nukem, on 11 December 2018 - 04:23 PM, said:

That would have been the sensible thing to do.

When they crushed Megaton Edition they basically pinched a piece of flame for the community. I know a few of the Megaton people just moved over to the Doom community at that point. Not a good move.

On the other hand, if World Tour did not have proprietary content and had included everything that WT had, then it would have been fine. Everyone could have moved over to WT without an issue.

World Tour was a major misstep for Gearbox anyway. It was completely misguided and they had no idea what the community would actually respond positively to.

View PostMr. Tibbs, on 11 December 2018 - 04:30 PM, said:

Even worse than the advertorial 76 doco, NoClip's forever on my shit list for calling Blood (1997) an "uninspired Doom clone." Shameful stuff.

NoClip is a channel fronted by a Johnny come lately dipshit who doesn't know his head from a hole in the ground. NoClip fucking sucks and is just another mouthpiece for the gaping ass known as the video game industry. The channel exists for one reason only: Money.

And honestly, Monolith's "seal of approval" means nothing to me because Jace Hall has had terrible ideas for Blood. Of course they support a closed non-open source alternative. Somebody who owns Blood would rather milk a re-release than see a source port get made for free. People have the source. It's not locked in some vault somewhere and some intern has to find it. I even would go so far as to bet someone has already got a source port ready to go, just waiting for the word. But money prevails.

User is offline   Zaxx 

• Banned

View PostManhs, on 11 December 2018 - 05:40 PM, said:

It's nice to see they are happy for the come back of BLOOD with Night Dive Studios, i remember they posted nothing when it was the anniversary of BLOOD for the 20 years, it was really sad and they posted only for the anniversary of the other games. So it's cool to see they noticed it (even if it's not the same team of the 90's).

Yeah, it's nice to see that at the very least they are supportive and they provide a bit of visibility for the project.

And btw. contrary to what Hendricks says I do think this can indicate that WB is at least aware of what NDS is doing.

This post has been edited by Zaxx: 11 December 2018 - 08:31 PM

User is offline   MetHy 

View PostCommando Nukem, on 11 December 2018 - 04:36 PM, said:

Yeahhhh... That really had me going "waitaminute... What!?"

I love NoClip's stuff, but wow... That was not cool.

The entire documentary is made through the eyes of HL fans, to show how much influencial HL was, so what do you expect. Their FPS timeline in the video goes from Wolf3D, to Doom, to Quake, to HL. In reality HL owes as much to Duke as it does to Quake, it owes Quake the engine, but it owes Duke the realism, the interactivity, and the maps directly following each others (which Blood also had).

All of this is ommitted, not mentionned, because the documentary follows the "revolutionnary and influencial HL" point of view. It's not a "FPS history" documentary, nor is it made to tell what inspired HL or to make it look weak.
Anyway, anyone should take whatever is said with a grain of salt and a little perspective. I still thought it was a cool doc for what it's worth.

This post has been edited by MetHy: 12 December 2018 - 04:33 AM

User is offline   VGA 

View PostHigh Treason, on 11 December 2018 - 04:46 PM, said:

Dark Forces is an uninspired Doom clone, it is just "Star Wars Doom" and isn't worth anybody's time. - A bunch of idiots in the past who likely didn't bother actually playing the game properly. I guess some things just don't change.

Recently tested Blood II's netcode with an internet friend, it was... interesting;
Attachment 20181211233119.JPG

Attachment 20181211231904.JPG

Projectiles do some weird things, among other problems.

BloodGDX has multiplayer, test that :)

User is offline   Zaxx 

• Banned

Oh wow, Stephan Weyte is in DUSK! :)

User is offline   Jblade 

View PostMetHy, on 12 December 2018 - 04:28 AM, said:

The entire documentary is made through the eyes of HL fans, to show how much influencial HL was, so what do you expect. Their FPS timeline in the video goes from Wolf3D, to Doom, to Quake, to HL. In reality HL owes as much to Duke as it does to Quake, it owes Quake the engine, but it owes Duke the realism, the interactivity, and the maps directly following each others (which Blood also had).

Yeah it amazes me how many people (ie people trying to win woke points) so eager to shit on Duke miss this. Beyond the obvious point of Chuck Jones doing art for both games, Duke pioneered a lot of things that Half-life later perfected.

• The Sarien Encounter

View PostZaxx, on 12 December 2018 - 04:58 AM, said:

Oh wow, Stephan Weyte is in DUSK! :)

Thanks for the spoiler.

User is offline   Zaxx 

• Banned

Thank Wikipedia:
https://en.wikipedia...i/Stephan_Weyte
What a spoiler!

This post has been edited by Zaxx: 12 December 2018 - 06:02 AM

View PostVGA, on 12 December 2018 - 04:54 AM, said:

BloodGDX has multiplayer, test that :)

Absolutely not, I shall not have Java on my machine. Perhaps when the software is ported to a real language I might be more willing to give it my time. We've been happy enough with stupid DOSBox for now, though the eventual goal is to find a way of tunneling IPX from real DOS.
- I do actually approve of BloodGDX existing and think it's great that it does, aside from rumors I heard about weapon nerfing from later versions of the game creeping in, it's a good thing that someone managed to get the game to run on a modern OS in any capacity, but Java... no thanks.

Share this topic:

• 33 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options