• 33 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Blood corner  "For Blood 1 & 2 related talk."

User is offline   cybdmn 

View PostZaxx, on 31 October 2018 - 12:30 PM, said:

As I've said I'm sure there is a connection but Veteran Edition is not listed as a Kex Engine game. Even the page you linked only says that a lot of the rendering is based on Kex 2 which is like "sure, still not a Kex Engine game".

Well, there is no such thing as an Kex Game Engine. Kex is a framework, which is used in some games, it evolved from Kaisers Doom64Ex, was used in Strife VE, PowerslaveEX, Turok, etc.

User is offline   SonicB00M 

I am going to be the weird one and say that I am more excited for a potential 'fixed' version of Blood 2 :rolleyes:

Also: Nightdive being able to make an agreement with Warner and Monolith may bring us closer to a proper rerelease of NOLF.

User is offline   fgsfds 

I wouldn't mind fixed Blood 2. Funny thing is that Blood 2's source was released, but no one gives enough shit to actually do something with it.

User is offline   Daedolon 

• Ancient Blood God

You still have to remember that they're using the shareware version's blood drip. They're probably just hyping up some kind of Blood EX release where they tell you to go download the Shareware version, play it, then beg for Atari to allow them to re-release the full version.

User is offline   Zaxx 

• Banned

View Postcybdmn, on 31 October 2018 - 12:43 PM, said:

Well, there is no such thing as an Kex Game Engine. Kex is a framework, which is used in some games, it evolved from Kaisers Doom64Ex, was used in Strife VE, PowerslaveEX, Turok, etc.

Framework + renderer + editor + whatnot = Kex Engine. Saying that Kex is just a framework is like saying BuildGDX is not an engine because it's based on the LibGDX framework while in reality once you add stuff to the framework that is not part of the framework what you get is more or less a game engine.

User is offline   cybdmn 

View PostZaxx, on 31 October 2018 - 01:00 PM, said:

Framework + renderer + editor + whatnot = Kex Engine. Saying that Kex is just a framework is like saying BuildGDX is not an engine because it's based on the LibGDX framework while in reality once you add stuff to the framework that is not part of the framework what you get is more or less a game engine.

Chocolate Strife + Kex = Strife VE. Simply as that.

User is offline   Zaxx 

• Banned

If it's a proper remaster I really hope that eventually they release some new content too. Get Stephan Weyte on board to record some new lines, come up with some interesting new enemies, a new weapon or two, make a few episodes with good level designers and it's a party. :rolleyes:

This post has been edited by Zaxx: 31 October 2018 - 01:35 PM

User is offline   NightFright 

• The Truth is in here

I was surprised how many really good custom Blood episodes are already out there. It's not just Death Wish. Bloodlines comes to mind in particular, an incredible masterpiece and in my opinion one of the most creative addons I have ever played for free ever. It can hardly get better than that. Sure, new lines from Weyte would be neat, but if you want good levels - the community has already made them. However, it wouldn't hurt to have more active mappers.

Good news is that DW and BloodGDX motivated the Bloodlines guys to start working on their mod again, so maybe we'll eventually get more.

This post has been edited by NightFright: 31 October 2018 - 02:29 PM

User is offline   Zaxx 

• Banned

Yeah, I'd like to see something new being made because of the quality content we already have. Nightdive just has to work with those guys but for the very least I hope that the version they'll release will support maps made for the vanilla game.

The way I see it there are two things a new official release has to do in order to win the community: backwards compatibility with user made levels and multiplayer. Kex's editor will be great though if it's coming with the game, it must be a lot better to work with than the old level editor.

This post has been edited by Zaxx: 31 October 2018 - 03:03 PM

User is offline   SonicB00M 

Keep in mind that they recently tweeted out, if people are intrested in supporting a Kickstarter campaign to acquire the rights to a beloved IP. So that teasing could just lead to Kickstarter for BloodEX and not an actual release.

User is offline   Zaxx 

• Banned

View PostSonicB00M, on 31 October 2018 - 03:36 PM, said:

Keep in mind that they recently tweeted out, if people are intrested in supporting a Kickstarter campaign to acquire the rights to a beloved IP. So that teasing could just lead to Kickstarter for BloodEX and not an actual release.

That's absolutely a possibility but I think we'd see a different kind of teasing going on if that was the case. Wheny they are talking about acquiring IPs through Kickstarter they basically mean two IPs: Blood and No One Lives Forever. Now I don't know how Nightdive is thinking but if I were them and I wanted to test the waters for a Kickstarter of that kind I'd go for the bigger fish where the campaign is more likely to succeed: NOLF. On top of that guess that type of campaign would need a bit more preparation when it comes to easing the fanbase into the idea so I think they'd have promoted the idea a bit more instead of just Kick throwing out a random tweet.

But of course anything's possible.

Good news is that DW and BloodGDX motivated the Bloodlines guys to start working on their mod again, so maybe we'll eventually get more.

Other God News

This post has been edited by Fantinaikos: 31 October 2018 - 04:00 PM

User is offline   Master O 

View PostSonicB00M, on 31 October 2018 - 03:36 PM, said:

If NightDive Studios is serious about acquiring Blood's IP, it is going to need to raise money from every corner of the FPS community, because WB will not sell those rights cheaply.

User is offline   Zaxx 

• Banned

When Devolver went to WB to get some Blood rights they asked for a million bucks or something. :rolleyes: I don't see Blood getting that much in a Kickstarter.

Maybe Nightdive worked out some licensing deal because they managed to find a guy at Warner who actually cared?

This post has been edited by Zaxx: 31 October 2018 - 06:18 PM

User is offline   Hendricks266 

• Weaponized Autism

Who remembers that time Night Dive used EDuke32 to take the screenshots for their WWII GI page on Steam?

https://web.archive....orld_War_II_GI/

The third image says "Killed in Action... Press Use to Restart Level"... except the original game says "Press Space". Only EDuke32 performs this text replacement.

Pepperidge Farm remembers.

User is offline   Zaxx 

• Banned

Why the archive link? That shot is still there.

User is offline   leilei 

View Postfgsfds, on 31 October 2018 - 12:54 PM, said:

I wouldn't mind fixed Blood 2. Funny thing is that Blood 2's source was released, but no one gives enough shit to actually do something with it.

It was never a full source release. There's no client or renderer sources anywhere; it's just enough source for modders to work with. Ditto for the others that have had years of blind "look its source! make xp version now" suggestions.

This post has been edited by leilei: 31 October 2018 - 10:56 PM

User is offline   NightFright 

• The Truth is in here

They can never release Blood 2 again the way it was. Enemy damage and hitpoints calculation were a brutal mess. IIRC damage you dealt was kinda random so enemies often took minimum damage. There were annoyances like Leech Priests that would eat dozens of rockets unharmed while spawning like crazy later on in the game. Basically unbeatable bullet sponges if you didn't use cheats, especially since the damage you took was always calculated properly. XD

But yes, a fixed and rebalanced Blood 2 would be fun, too. As stupid as its story was, the levels had a unique atmosphere.

This post has been edited by NightFright: 31 October 2018 - 11:21 PM

User is offline   Zaxx 

• Banned

I don't think much of Blood 2 is salvagable. Even if you rebalance the whole thing you still end up with beta levels, weapons that feel like ass, terrible enemy AI and a story that's missing its beats.

I always felt that when it comes to remaking stuff somebody should take crap games with good concepts and make wholly new versions of them because sometimes a cool idea deserves another chance. Blood 2 could be a prime candidate for this because "Caleb in the future against sci-fi Kabal" is a cool concept.

Anyway here's some good shit for Blood EX hype:

This post has been edited by Zaxx: 31 October 2018 - 11:35 PM

User is offline   Phredreeke 

I would love to see Blood 2 be given the DNF2013 treatment :rolleyes:

User is offline   Zaxx 

• Banned

View PostPhredreeke, on 01 November 2018 - 12:25 AM, said:

I would love to see Blood 2 be given the DNF2013 treatment :rolleyes:

Yeah, if there's ever a new Blood game I hope they keep it old school but when it comes to the engine I think Build is not a good fit for it. I always got the feeling that Blood is this weird Build game that was inspired by Quake just as much as it's based on Duke 3D: the main focus is no longer on the interactivity and the gameplay is more about being this fast, twitchy, mechanically tight FPS much like Quake and not at all like Duke 3D. The fanbase seems to agree with me on this, hell, there's even guys like toxjc, a Quake pro player who's using this weird ass keyboard and mouse layout because he started playing multiplayer FPS with Blood:
https://liquipedia.net/quake/Toxjq

A modern Blood game should be like Painkiller in the sense that it was inspired by Quake but approached that same design with its own set of ideas. Even the original game is begging for stuff like movement acceleration for example.

This post has been edited by Zaxx: 01 November 2018 - 01:36 AM

User is offline   Mark 

Movement acceleration is a general term. What are you refering to?

User is offline   Zaxx 

• Banned

View PostMark, on 01 November 2018 - 05:21 AM, said:

Movement acceleration is a general term. What are you refering to?

Ways for the player to get faster than the base movement speed: strafe jumping in Quake, bunny hopping in Painkiller etc., basically something to make "running" interesting.

User is offline   OpenMaw 

• Judge Mental

As far as I know, Blood, like all Build engine games already has that in the form of wall and strafe running.

Doesn't look like NightDive Studios is in a hurry to tell us what they're doing....

This post has been edited by Master O: 01 November 2018 - 12:11 PM

User is offline   Zaxx 

• Banned

View PostCommando Nukem, on 01 November 2018 - 11:37 AM, said:

As far as I know, Blood, like all Build engine games already has that in the form of wall and strafe running.

Yes and for example if you use strafe running then jumping will result in a bigger jump so basically there is "strafe jumping" in Build but it's not really something that you could call a full blown movement mechanic (I distinctly remember that you need this jump for one secret in one of Shadow Warrior's expansions but that's it :rolleyes:).

If you want to beat Painkiller on Trauma (especially Hell & Damnation because there the enemy speed and hit detection is just bonkers hardcore) you have to bunny hop in all directions because that's how you avoid faster crowds and get to those souls as quickly as possible. So bunny hopping will help you in staying alive and you will get into demon mode a lot more thanks to it = it's part of the core gameplay. In the case of Quake strafe jumping, circle jumping and whatnot is even more essential in multiplayer: you get to pickups faster so you can get a better stack and the weapons you need and that's how you have a chance of winning a match. These mechanics are super useful and they are a lot of fun too and that's something that could benefit the old school Blood gameplay.

Since the game has this "John Woo shootout" vibe in a lot of places I think that a sliding mechanic would be ideal, something like Quake 4's crouch sliding:

This post has been edited by Zaxx: 01 November 2018 - 12:36 PM

User is offline   Zaxx 

• Banned

I'm really curious about this Blood announcement now. They teased us for 3 days straight giving us the notion that there will be something on the fourth day... and well, we got nothing. Hell, Kaiser even posted this article on his Twitter when the first part of the shareware cover art appeared along with a sneaky confirmation (he wrote something like "just a rumour, sure...") only to remove the post later. :rolleyes:

View PostZaxx, on 02 November 2018 - 02:26 PM, said:

I'm really curious about this Blood announcement now. They teased us for 3 days straight giving us the notion that there will be something on the fourth day... and well, we got nothing. Hell, Kaiser even posted this article on his Twitter when the first part of the shareware cover art appeared along with a sneaky confirmation (he wrote something like "just a rumour, sure...") only to remove the post later. :rolleyes:

In all honesty, I hope they finally got the source code. Most people would be much more interested in that.

User is offline   Manhs 

View PostMaster O, on 02 November 2018 - 06:27 PM, said:

In all honesty, I hope they finally got the source code. Most people would be much more interested in that.

If they get the full IP, everything can happen (i hope if it's what is in the work).

Even if they prepar a crowdfunding for the full ip, i could pay, i relistening some blood musics/remix and im so sad (again) to see this kind of wonderful deep atmosphere fps doomed and like dead.... I like this style (like hexen too) because it makes my mind travel (sorry for my english), but a limited license could limit a lot of things.... (so no sourcecode released i suppose).

A basic port could be a good start i suppose but yeah better if its compatible with previous expansions/fan maps.

Still waiting, im still hyped today after having played BLOOD (LOI expansion) and listened some musics but yeah, a bit angry to see the blood drop has his full pic since some days, like a "3-2-1-......" but then nothing :/ i start to really not like teasing now xD

We will see, i hope for the best! :rolleyes:

This post has been edited by Manhs: 03 November 2018 - 06:44 AM

User is offline   Tekedon 

So.. Nothing yet? Another one of those "Blood teases" that lead nowhere? :D :rolleyes:

Share this topic:

• 33 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options