• « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Wolfenstein corner  "For everything Wolfenstein related"

User is offline   MrFlibble 

View PostHendricks266, on 15 January 2017 - 11:30 AM, said:

It's a mock-up.

It is my understanding (from what Blzut3 said) that implementing this kind of menu as a mod for ECWolf is perfectly possible, but at this point I'm completely unaware of how to do it due to the lack of any experience in Wolf3D modding and a rather tight schedule.

Just found this TC running on the ZDoom engine called Shadow of the Wool Ball:

I think it's awesome :P (enemy speech appears to be from The Adventures of Square BTW)

User is offline   HulkNukem 

I hope Colossus is announced at Bethesda's E3 and is released for holidays 2017
The only thing they have officially revealed are Quake Champions (I doubt they would have a multiplayer only game as their big holiday release) Fallout 4 VR (also wouldn't be their only holiday release) and Prey (which releases in May)

This post has been edited by HulkNukem: 02 March 2017 - 02:06 PM

User is offline   LkMax 

Hi.
I said somewhere on the zdoom forums that I planned to release something by the end of septemper IIRC... well, that obviously didn't happen, for a few reasons.
Since I'm not sure I'll ever get back to this project, I decided to release the mod with whatever I've already done at this point.

You can find more details here:
https://forum.zdoom....php?f=4&t=51005

I know a lot of areas could have improvements but it'll have to do (still much better than the vanilla games IMO).

User is offline   Poorchop 

I missed out on Wolf 3D when it came out. My first shooter was Doom back in 95. I've recently been playing through the first round of shooters that I missed (Wolf 3D, Ken's Labyrinth), and I'm really enjoying them. Episode 3 of Wolf 3D was probably the best so far. How do the last 3 compare? After I finish those, I have Spear of Destiny next.

User is offline   Avoozl 

RTCW was and still is my absolute favorite game of the entire series, I've played it hundreds of times and still haven't grown tired of it, however I did have to install some weapon skin mods.

However I do wish someone could port all the console exclusive stuff to the PC version as a mod.

This post has been edited by Grand Admiral Thrawn: 05 February 2018 - 04:12 PM

User is offline   Toxic34 

Well, for those who were impressed with The New Colossus as I was, Machine Games has stated that their series was conceived as a trilogy. So we're gonna get one more game, in which the revolution is in full force.

BTW, who thinks that the little Hitler appearance in the game is a sign that the upcoming game's final boss will be Hitler in a mech suit, like the classic '92 game?

User is offline   gemeaux333 

Me, it was already the case with deathshead

This post has been edited by gemeaux333: 09 February 2018 - 01:22 PM

User is offline   Zaxx 

• Banned

View PostToxic34, on 09 February 2018 - 12:09 PM, said:

Well, for those who were impressed with The New Colossus as I was, Machine Games has stated that their series was conceived as a trilogy. So we're gonna get one more game, in which the revolution is in full force.

BTW, who thinks that the little Hitler appearance in the game is a sign that the upcoming game's final boss will be Hitler in a mech suit, like the classic '92 game?

Nah, it will be just a lazy "press F the kill" moment like it was with Frau Engel. Cool bossfights are so 2014!

But it was feeting for Frau Engel, especially if you consider the emotional charge and emotional truth of the thing (as Ameona (Shadow Warrior 2) would say)

User is offline   Zaxx 

• Banned

View Postgemeaux333, on 09 February 2018 - 02:52 PM, said:

But it was feeting for Frau Engel, especially if you consider the emotional charge and emotional truth of the thing (as Ameona (Shadow Warrior 2) would say)

To be honest I'm more bothered by the fact that TNC had no bossfights, only the run of the mill "miniboss" enemies. I loved the Deathshead fight at the end of TNO it was awesome just as well as the one against Rudi in TOB (he really loved that fucking dog :dukecigar:) or the giant monster at the end so having nothing of the sort was just a huge letdown. I hope they knock it out the park with the third game because overall TNC was like TNO, only worse.

This post has been edited by Zaxx: 09 February 2018 - 03:44 PM

Anyway, I guess nobody regret to have killed RIP...

Further on the topic of hi-res menus etc., I've been playing around with various ideas using image resizing algorithms, and had placed some hope with the xBRZ scaler. While the initial results weren't as good as I had expected, eventually I got a more or less decent resized image (original image resized to 640x480 for comparison):
Posted Image

The steps to produce this were as follows:

1. I used the ScalerTest tool (available here) to get the original image scaled to 2x its original size with xBRZ. Don't forget to untick the option to show scaler type in the image.

2. The output image was then corrected to 4:3 aspect ration in GIMP by first resizing it to 640x1200 with Nearest Neighbour, then to 640x480 with Sinc3 interpolation method.

3. The image was then converted to its original Wolf3D palette, again using GIMP. For this, you need to import the palette from any Wolf3D[ image (e.g. a screenshot taken in DOSBox). Load it, then open the palettes dialog and import the palette from the screenshot. To then convert the modified upscaled image to the palette, select Image -> Mode -> Indexed, select the desired palette from the list of custom palettes and untick the option to remove unused colours from the colourmap. Don't use any dithering.

The resulting image can be then touched up if needed (I didn't do anything for the above version). I think it's pretty decent overall.

User is offline   ---- 

Since today the USK in Germany recognizes computer- and videogames as art.

That's relevant as it allows nazis and swastikas in games. So, no more fighting "The Regime" and it's leader that didn't have that certain moustache.

This post has been edited by fuegerstef: 09 August 2018 - 03:50 AM

User is offline   MusicallyInspired 

• The Sarien Encounter

Congrats! How soon until all your games get uncensored?

User is offline   ---- 

View PostMusicallyInspired, on 09 August 2018 - 04:31 AM, said:

Congrats! How soon until all your games get uncensored?

I have no idea.

User is offline   NightFright 

• The Truth is in here

As surprising and exciting this news is, it does not automatically mean all nazi-related games become uncut in Germany all of a sudden now.

For the recently released Wolfenstein titles for example, Bethesda would need to request a new review of the games to verify nazi terminology and symbols are not used in a glorifying manner. It is not guaranteed Bethesda will go through this hassle, even though it may be worth it since many Germans (including myself) are refraining from purchases due to the censorship politics. And don't forget the Bethesda geolock is self-imposed. Nobody asked them to implement it. It's totally up to the publisher.

Btw, I repeat it again here: I don't care that much about not seeing swastikas in these games, but if I am forced to use German audio without being able to select English, that ruins the atmosphere too much for me.

This post has been edited by NightFright: 09 August 2018 - 05:29 AM

User is offline   Ninety-Six 

At least future releases (and rereleases) should be cleared to go uncensored?

User is offline   MusicallyInspired 

• The Sarien Encounter

That means Young Blood should be in the clear?

• The Truth is in here

Upcoming games MAY be, provided the symbols are used in an appropriate context. Old games need to be reviewed again. Future Wolfenstein games could possibly be released without geolock and freely selectable audio in Germany, but let's remain careful with early enthusiasm until there's official news about it.

User is offline   Zaxx 

• Banned

Mick Gordon is a national treasure:

View PostMrFlibble, on 18 February 2018 - 09:04 AM, said:

Further on the topic of hi-res menus etc., I've been playing around with various ideas using image resizing algorithms, and had placed some hope with the xBRZ scaler. While the initial results weren't as good as I had expected, eventually I got a more or less decent resized image (original image resized to 640x480 for comparison):

I just gave this a try with waifu2x using the xBRZ smoothing method described here. I think the result is quite neat, much better than the xBRZ one posted above, except maybe for the guard's face:
Posted Image

This post has been edited by MrFlibble: 03 October 2018 - 08:54 AM

Well, this is definitely one of those bad news you wouldn't like to hear from a developer. Especially if you are a great fan of a mod :rolleyes:

At least we got a demo of 5.0.

User is offline   Zaxx 

• Banned

View PostFantinaikos, on 21 October 2018 - 09:53 AM, said:

Tha is very sad indeed, I loved the demo. Hope someone will take the project forward.

• The Truth is in here

Btw regarding the redefinition of games as art in Germany, exactly nothing has changed so far regarding how publishers handle swastikas and nazi content in general. Bethesda hasn't made any move or statement which might indicate that future Wolfenstein games will be released in Germany uncut, let alone already released titles. I think the industry doesn't have the balls to make it happen.

This post has been edited by NightFright: 23 October 2018 - 01:28 PM

User is offline   K1n9_Duk3 

I remember at least one game that did have swastikas way back in 1996: Das Museum: Das Dritte Reich. It's an educational title with a tiny bit of a business simulation that barely qualifies as a game. As far as I know, this title was never put on the index or outright banned in Germany. The game was re-released as part of a game compilation in 1999 (at least that's where I got it from).

And I know at least one other game that accidently shipped with swastikas on the game disc in 2004/2005. But the only way to make the game use the assets with the swastikas was to edit one of the game files, so most people probably never noticed they were there.

User is offline   K1n9_Duk3 

Seems like a game called "Post Scriptum" would/did not get an USK rating because of the nazi symbols. But there have been a couple of games that were given a rating despite them containing nazi symbols, the first one being the demo of a game called "Through the Darkest of Times".

Link: https://www.schnittb...ws.php?ID=13808

From what I've read elsewhere, the main problem with Post Scriptum was the fact that it is a multiplayer game where you can play as a German soldier. The game lacks (his)story elements that make it obvious that the nazis were commiting war crimes and crimes against humanity, which means it's ultimately not okay to show symbols of the nazi party in that game.

Based on that, I guess that the new Wolfenstein games by Machine Games might be able to get a USK rating for the uncut version. Maybe Wolf3D as well (because you have to kill Hitler in episode 3). Spear of Destiny, RTCW and Wolfenstein 2009 might be too far away from actual WW2 events and war crimes, so I guess they would be the least likely to get a USK rating for the international version.

User is offline   Zaxx 

• Banned

Good news: Sgt Mark IV wants to take over Brutal Wolfenstein 5.0:
https://twitter.com/...709621459705856

User is offline   HulkNukem 

Isn't he also still working on Brutal Doom 64 and his own standalone project?

I replayed The Old Blood recently and liked it. Still think the stealth chapter at the beginning is a drag but having the perk that lets you carry around the turret minigun helps a lot.
Going to work my way through The New Order next; I haven't played it since Old Blood came out so I'm excited to go back to it.
Then I'll be doing a second playthrough of New Colossus and hoping I have a better time with it.

This post has been edited by HulkNukem: 29 October 2018 - 10:43 AM

User is offline   Zaxx 

• Banned

View PostHulkNukem, on 29 October 2018 - 10:41 AM, said:

Isn't he also still working on Brutal Doom 64 and his own standalone project?

I think BD64 is finished as far as he's concerned: that mod is about the maps with some added bells and whistles, when it comes to the gameplay it's mostly a graphically enhanced version of vanilla. With BD64 the concept was making the original levels less confusing and improving the gameplay flow to the point where it feels like a PC game instead of something that was designed for the N64 controller.

Anyway as for Brutal Doom that project will be finished too when v21 and Extermination Day comes out, that will be the last release.

This post has been edited by Zaxx: 29 October 2018 - 10:48 AM

Share this topic:

• 16 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options