Duke4.net Forums: Wolfenstein corner - Duke4.net Forums

• 16 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Wolfenstein corner  "For everything Wolfenstein related"

User is offline   MetHy 

I like it. I also love the choice of Paris as a location and I also like co-op.

User is offline   Danukem 

• Duke Plus Developer

Yeah guys I don't really see the problem. Dialogue is a bit cringey, but it's a shooter, I'm not looking for Shapespeare here. The industry has set the bar so low that if I'm not actively being insulted for being a white male then I'm good. I'll wait for reviews, though.

View PostTrooper Dan, on 23 June 2019 - 12:16 PM, said:

The industry has set the bar so low that if I'm not actively being insulted for being a white male then I'm good.

Uh, what? :D

Anyway, I am worried about the idea of having an AI companion follow you around in single-player, especially when stealth - while optional - is such a crucial part of the gameplay. I cannot think of a game that managed to pull it off convincingly; if there are, I would be happy to know.

This post has been edited by johnnythewolf: 23 June 2019 - 12:37 PM

User is online   Ninety-Six 

View PostTrooper Dan, on 23 June 2019 - 12:16 PM, said:

Dialogue is a bit cringey, but it's a shooter, I'm not looking for Shapespeare here. The industry has set the bar so low

It is a little bit of a step down from the previous entries, in my opinion. Though it's not a deal breaker for me.The gameplay looks (insofar as that counts in trailers these days) to be more of the same, maybe a little more fast-paced if that isn't trailer magic again, and I would be okay with that.

Honestly my biggest complaint from all the prerelease materials so far is the character design for the two main leads. I really can't say I'm a fan. I can't quite my finger on it, but they just look "off" to me. In a first-person shooter this wouldn't normally be a problem, but since it seems like whether I play with someone or by myself, I'm going to have to keep staring at at least one of them, to say nothing of the cutscenes which I am expecting a fair number of in line with the previous two/and a half installments.

• Duke Plus Developer

View Postjohnnythewolf, on 23 June 2019 - 12:34 PM, said:

especially when stealth - while optional - is such a crucial part of the gameplay. I cannot think of a game that managed to pull it off convincingly; if there are, I would be happy to know.

I haven't been a fan of the stealth option in this series anyway, so if the AI ruins that aspect I'm ok with it. From a coding standpoint, it's pretty easy to make that work, you just make the enemies ignore the AI companion unless the player is discovered, and you make the AI companion not shoot at enemies unless the player starts shooting. This could lead to some ridiculous situations where the enemies are ignoring the companion who is standing right in front of them, but at least it wouldn't spoil the stealth mechanic.

Or they could just make the second sister only appear in cutscenes, like in Dead Space 3 and F3AR. Not masterpieces, I know, but those are the only similar cooperative games I have played.

Speaking of the Blazkowicz sisters, are we going to be allowed to choose the one we want to play as or is this just going to be a Ryu and Ken situation?

This post has been edited by johnnythewolf: 23 June 2019 - 01:48 PM

User is offline   MetHy 

View Postjohnnythewolf, on 23 June 2019 - 12:34 PM, said:

Anyway, I am worried about the idea of having an AI companion follow you around in single-player

Has this been confirmed as being mandatory or are you just assuming? I have a hard time to believe they'd do that.

From what I have read and watch, the second sister will indeed be controlled by an AI in single-player.

This post has been edited by johnnythewolf: 24 June 2019 - 04:18 AM

User is offline   ---- 

View PostMetHy, on 24 June 2019 - 01:26 AM, said:

Has this been confirmed as being mandatory or are you just assuming? I have a hard time to believe they'd do that.

I read a hands-on-article from a German online magazine where it was heavily implied that you need an AI companion as "some of the puzzles cannot be solved alone and that the testers had to work together" "but weren't able to test the AI in solo mode".

User is offline   MusicallyInspired 

• The Sarien Encounter

Wow. That's a huge oversight.

User is offline   ---- 

It is now official: In Germany we don't need to use an unofficial Patch for Wolfensten: YoungBlood as it will feature Swastikas and Nazis instead of the Wolfestein symbol and the "Regime" out of the box (asone once said).

User is offline   NightFright 

• The Truth is in here

That's good, but bad news is that apparently we won't get access to the previous games in their uncut editions. It also doesn't look like Bethesda will make any efforts to change that.

The curious thing is that now you only have the choice of a purely English OR German version, not both. I wonder if they will continue with this circus beyond Youngblood.

While understandable, Germany's censorship of every thing related to Nazi Germany is really quite bizarre. I get that they do not want to glorify Nazi symbolism and philosophy (which MachineGames unintentionally kind of does by portraying the Nazis as just badasses with cool technology), but come on... even without the mustache, you could still tell that was Adolf Hitler in The New Colossus. :D

So what you're saying is, Nazis never were, and therefore, are not to be depicted as a credible threat.

sounds like racism to me

This post has been edited by Ninety-Six: 26 June 2019 - 06:47 PM

User is offline   ---- 

View PostNinety-Six, on 26 June 2019 - 06:43 PM, said:

So what you're saying is, Nazis never were, and therefore, are not to be depicted as a credible threat.

Nope. It is more absurd. The law prohibited the use of swastikas as propaganda but allowed it in arts (movies, etc ... as long as not used as propaganda). But computer- and videogames hadn't been recognized as arts until recently.

View Postfuegerstef, on 26 June 2019 - 10:09 PM, said:

Nope. It is more absurd. The law prohibited the use of swastikas as propaganda but allowed it in arts (movies, etc ... as long as not used as propaganda). But computer- and videogames hadn't been recognized as arts until recently.

I know. I was responding to Johnny's comment about the games glorifying Nazis by portraying them as competent. With tech that they stole. From the Jews.

This post has been edited by Ninety-Six: 27 June 2019 - 12:53 AM

User is offline   ---- 

View PostNinety-Six, on 26 June 2019 - 11:13 PM, said:

I know. I was responding to Johnny's comment about the games glorifying Nazis by portraying them as competent. With tech that they stole. From the Jews.

Ah, OK, Sorry. :D

User is offline   Tea Monster 

• Polymancer

View Postjohnnythewolf, on 26 June 2019 - 11:29 AM, said:

While understandable, Germany's censorship of every thing related to Nazi Germany is really quite bizarre. I get that they do not want to glorify Nazi symbolism and philosophy (which MachineGames unintentionally kind of does by portraying the Nazis as just badasses with cool technology), but come on... even without the mustache, you could still tell that was Adolf Hitler in The New Colossus. :D

The Nazis are always portrayed as a credible threat, which is sort of required for any kind of storytelling. They are also always portrayed as corrupt and evil and not to be sided with - witness the piss-pot casting scene in New Colossus - in which he DID have his signature moustache and was very recognisable as Mr. A. Hitler.

This post has been edited by Tea Monster: 27 June 2019 - 02:22 AM

View PostTea Monster, on 27 June 2019 - 02:22 AM, said:

The Nazis are always portrayed as a credible threat, which is sort of required for any kind of storytelling. They are also always portrayed as corrupt and evil and not to be sided with

That does not really mean anything, as evil and corrupt villains tend to be very popular in fiction and even kind of sexy in some cases, with people wanting to cosplay as them or even play as them in video games. MachineGames' Nazis are no exception to the rule as they are shown to have cool technology as well as slick uniforms, architecture and weapon designs, and the main Nazi characters are all portrayed as charismatic and intimidating badasses who can only be defeated by an Aryan-looking supersoldier like BJ Blazkowicz, in doing so vindicating the Nazis' belief in eugenics.

Again, I know that MachineGames did not mean to glorify the Nazis; however, that does not change the fact that their Wolfenstein products play right into the mythology the Nazis have created for themselves. It is the same mistake that a movie like American History X has made; neo-Nazis ended up being inspired by the way it portrayed them rather than being embarassed. Even the movie Cabaret - specifically the "Tomorrow Belongs To Me" scene - has been used unironically by Richard Backpfeifengesicht Spencer himself to promote his cause and it is easy to see why...

My point is that there are ways to portray the Nazis as a credible threat without making them look cool or right.

View PostTea Monster, on 27 June 2019 - 02:22 AM, said:

witness the piss-pot casting scene in New Colossus - in which he DID have his signature moustache and was very recognisable as Mr. A. Hitler.

I just checked on Youtube; no, he does not have his mustache in the German version.

This post has been edited by johnnythewolf: 27 June 2019 - 04:11 PM

User is offline   Aristotle Gumball 

• banned!

View Postjohnnythewolf, on 27 June 2019 - 01:58 PM, said:

defeated by an Aryan-looking supersoldier like BJ Blazkowicz.

That's the fucking point, that they are defeated by the very thing they saw as "superior". Ever heard of irony?

MachineGames' Nazis are no exception to the rule as they are shown to cool technology

that they stole from the Jews

slick uniforms

which are based on their actual fucking uniform in history

architecture and weapon designs

that is literally nothing more than what we call the "Retro-futuristic" style which has existed since the 20s and 30s, before Nazis became infamous. and as far Nazis use of it, it was again, made by the Jews and stolen by the Nazis

who can only be defeated by an Aryan-looking supersoldier like BJ Blazkowicz

Ah yes. The half-Polish half-Jewish man that looks Aryan. The Nazi's ideal form, coming from the two groups they hated most. A demonstration of how superficial and meaningless the Aryan ideal is, and simultaneously a demonstration of how shallow their racism is. That they are defeated by a man who resembles their perfect ideal, but is also everything they hate, and hates them in turn.

Do you recall the train scene from New Order? Where Frau Engel intentionally gives BJ a bullshit test of his alleged heritage, saying if he was impure he would reach for the gun? That whole scene would not work (or even make sense) if BJ didn't look exactly like their ideal Aryan man.

oh wait no im sorry its ackshually pro-Nazi :D :) :) B) :rolleyes:

View Post:rolleyes:thewoof, on 27 June 2019 - 01:58 PM, said:

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: My point is that there are ways to portray the Nazis as a credible threat without making them look cool or right :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Just keep burying your non-responses in edits, johnboy. Keep running away with your tail between your legs to the safe space of the edit button where you can have the last word, because you think most people won't read it.

All you do is show the kind of person you really are.

This post has been edited by Ninety-Six: 27 June 2019 - 03:21 PM

• The Sarien Encounter

What are you so afraid of, johnny? People will gravitate to evil no matter how you protray it. Th solution is not censorship or mischaracterisation. It makes sense that Nazis would portray themselves as being "cool". It's how they motivated a tiny country in Europe to successfully invade most of its neighboring countries. You're talking like an overprotective parent who won't let their 20-year-old still-at-home kid be exposed to the dangers of real life.

View PostMusicallyInspired, on 27 June 2019 - 03:44 PM, said:

What are you so afraid of, johnny?

People learning the truth about that war and our happy gaslighter.

Posted Image

Posted Image

User is offline   Forge 

• Speaker of the Outhouse

My point is that there are ways to portray the Nazis as a credible threat without making them look cool or right.

Don't be so maudlin.
We all know communists are the cool and right ones. Their kill-count is much more impressive.

They curb-stompted the entire allied forces during the war and took over the world. if that doesn't make them a credible threat then no amount of trenchcoats will do it.

without making them look cool or right.

You do realize history books are written by the winners, right? not the good ones, not the bad ones, the winners. Well, you see, In the MachineGames Wolfenstein games, the Nazis are the winners, so they wrote whatever they wanted.

They ARE right BECAUSE they wrote themselves as being right.

This post has been edited by Lazy Dog: 27 June 2019 - 10:17 PM

User is offline   ---- 

Can we have a few threads without johnnythewolf, please? So that the threads are stying on track instead of people with common sense having to explain everything to him?

• Duke Plus Developer

No one has to reply to his posts. Maybe it's time to exercise self-restraint. :D

View PostTrooper Dan, on 27 June 2019 - 10:43 PM, said:

No one has to reply to his posts. Maybe it's time to exercise self-restraint. :D

you may as well put in an ignore function, then, because what is the point of posting if no one is going to read it.

All I'm saying is this seems really unbalanced. Johnny seems to completely lack any self awareness that not everyone wants to hear his bullshit political beliefs in completely unrelated threads but he feels the constant need to bring politics into them, seemingly completely unaware of how hot-button they are.

And while a fair number of present members may do that from time to time, at least they have the resolve to defend their opinions when called into question. Johnny just dumps out a post and then runs away from the counterpoints.

This is a forum. The whole point of a forum is to engage in discussion. And if Johnny, or whoever, wants to post crap and not be challenged by those of a different opinion, they shouldn't be posting on a forum.

And if the powers that be dislike topics devolving into political shitfests, perhaps instead of telling the members of a forum to not engage, it may be wiser to eliminate the source of the political garbage and make it not a viable topic, something dedicated to a board or something, as opposed to randomly injected into threads, primarily from a certain source. We are not churchgoers attending Sunday Mass. We are not people to be preached at without question.

If he is going to post political garbage, he needs to be ready to face the consequences of other people disagreeing. If we don't want political garbage in our threads, why should the one member get away with doing it, but not those who feel differently? Again, seems weighted in the favor of the one.

This post has been edited by Ninety-Six: 27 June 2019 - 11:43 PM

• The Sarien Encounter

View PostNinety-Six, on 27 June 2019 - 11:26 PM, said:

...seemingly completely unaware of how hot-button they are.

Oh he's aware. Always throwing that one little line in every post everywhere that nobody can ignore.

This post has been edited by MusicallyInspired: 28 June 2019 - 04:25 AM

User is offline   Aristotle Gumball 

• banned!

@96 - I agree with the spirit of your message, but we could also not respond to any more of johnny's posts. You're asking for Dan or one of the other mods to do something about this problem, when the solution is simple - stop responding. And if johnny then proceeds to deliver political monologues all by himself, well, then those should be removed. Maybe place them in a thread called "the mental asylum". If he does something else that goes against the forum rules - ban him. As should be the case for any member of Duke4, no?

Share this topic:

• 16 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options