Duke4.net Forums: Wolfenstein corner - Duke4.net Forums

• 16 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Wolfenstein corner  "For everything Wolfenstein related"

User is online   Jblade 

This game suffered from the "instant hitscan damage on sight" enemies, which isn't too surprising because the devs made Kingpin, Redneck Rampage, and Quake 2: Ground Zero (which featured the hardest final boss in the Quake series).

Yeah I kinda noticed this among Xatrix games myself! I think RTCW was generally better than the older ones but all of their stuff suffers from this in general (The last boss was hard unless you horded power-ups, in which case if I remember right the double damage actually stacked with the quad damage if you had both on)

Also yeah the undead had weird hitboxes, I think maybe the problem was their animations had them ducking and moving but maybe their hitboxes didn't move the same so getting headshots was really hard at times.

User is offline   leilei 

I disliked RTCW and all the overblown innovative-franchise-anniversary hype it had when it came out. The wolftest was also dissapointing, felt like a q3 Day of Defeat mod with a minigun and a flamethrower. (Day of Defeat had just hit beta 1.0 a few months earlier and featured similar territorial control gameplay and even a better war atmosphere)

(much preferred and enjoyed MOHAA after but that's not a wolf game and doesn't belong here)

Should also mention I moved on from Wolfenstein 3D as soon as I played Doom. I had zero interest to replay Wolf3d since. I still have zero interest. 2D maze with only bullets just didn't hold any interest for me anymore. No nostalgia goggles going on here.

I might play TNO soon. I'm expecting that to be better than RTCW.

This post has been edited by leilei: 27 March 2016 - 09:42 AM

User is offline   MetHy 

TNO is good as an introduction for TOB's greatness.

This post has been edited by MetHy: 27 March 2016 - 09:44 AM

User is offline   deuxsonic 

View PostPikaCommando, on 27 March 2016 - 08:31 AM, said:

According to Wikipedia, there was supposed to be more missions where you fight with the undeads (no citations though, anyone got source on that), but they were brought back in the PS2 version as the Egypt episode. I'm glad things turned out the way it is, because the undead enemies were a huge waste of ammo with their weird hitboxes and being immune to damage when playing animations, like all the other enemies. Also, the Nazi babes were a serious pain in the ass to deal with the first time they appear. This game suffered from the "instant hitscan damage on sight" enemies, which isn't too surprising because the devs made Kingpin, Redneck Rampage, and Quake 2: Ground Zero (which featured the hardest final boss in the Quake series).

Also, can anyone beat the second boss without taking much damage? I know the "correct" way to beat it, but I still had to resort to exploiting its AI which made it stay in one place while I snipe it behind thin railings.

FG-42 is love, FG-42 is life.

Ground Zero was not developed by Xatrix/Grey Matter but Rogue who developed Strife and Dissolution of Eternity. The Reckoning, which Xatrix did develop, had the same very easy boss fight as the main game because other than the Gekks, all the "new" enemies were just variations on the originals and overall the whole mission pack was very easy. Ground Zero is definitely more difficult, in large part due to the turrets which are everywhere and fire on you instantly, giving you no time to react so you have to memorize where they all are. Even on Nightmare skill the Black Widow at the end of Ground Zero is not too difficult as long as you keep moving though.

This post has been edited by deuxsonic: 27 March 2016 - 10:59 AM

View Postdeuxsonic, on 27 March 2016 - 10:53 AM, said:

Ground Zero was not developed by Xatrix/Grey Matter but Rogue who developed Strife and Dissolution of Eternity. The Reckoning, which Xatrix did develop, had the same very easy boss fight as the main game because other than the Gekks, all the "new" enemies were just variations on the originals and overall the whole mission pack was very easy. Ground Zero is definitely more difficult, in large part due to the turrets which are everywhere and fire on you instantly, giving you no time to react so you have to memorize where they all are. Even on Nightmare skill the Black Widow at the end of Ground Zero is not too difficult as long as you keep moving though

Woops, forgot about that. Nerve Software AKA Rogue Entertainment did work on the MP side of the game as well as the Egypt section of the PS2/Xbox port. Also, there's the Phalanx Guardian that was a pain in the ass to deal with. Oh, and I can never forget how often turrets kill me as soon as I walk into a new section. It's impossible to not take damage without save scumming or knowing about it beforehand. Either way, I bet Rogue/Nerve had some say in the SP portion of RtCW :V

Also, I don't think it's fair to compare Day of Defeat with WolfMP/WolfET. DoD is more like WWII Counter-Strike whereas WolfMP/WolfET is more like WWII Team Fortress. Gotta love them air strikes with the Lieutenant/Field Ops class in Wolfenstein. WolfET had that campaign mode thingy where you play 3 maps in succession to win the overall campaign, which was a pretty neat idea. A lot of people disliked the level up system, but I think it's perfect for casual play.

Also, any WWII multiplayer shooter with an Omaha map is a good WWII MP shooter in my eyes. Luckily, they both had them in the form of dod_charlie for DoD and mp_beach/battery for WolfMP/Wolf ET respectively. Shame on DoD:Source for not bringing back dod_charlie.

MoH: AA's multiplayer is nothing special though, just regular DM with standard gameplay, except with WWII stuff.

This post has been edited by PikaCommando: 27 March 2016 - 11:42 PM

Is there any actual advantage in running RTCW with a source port like iortcw? Vanilla does run on later Windows versions, only lacking widescreen support. iortcw adds a few bells and whistles but I wonder how significant the improvements are.

User is offline   LkMax 

I've never heard of it but seems to be just a port to ios.

User is offline   leilei 

it's generally a stripping to SDL (which may/may not have an adverse affect on input depending on your platform) and some paranoid buffer overflow fixes to keep the debians happy, plus aggressive "modern standard" marketing - Your usual Quakeforge in a source liberation cycle.

Personally I'd use Knightmare's rtcw port since that does the wides, though in a less mod friendly way (it does it in cgame as opposed to the renderer).

This post has been edited by leilei: 16 April 2016 - 02:46 PM

View Postleilei, on 16 April 2016 - 02:40 PM, said:

Personally I'd use Knightmare's rtcw port since that does the wides, though in a less mod friendly way (it does it in cgame as opposed to the renderer).

Yeah I only drifted to iortcw because Knightmare's was making the game not load (I'm using the Steam version), which made me have a lot of "empty" hours in RTCW on Steam. But other people have had more success with it.

User is offline   MusicallyInspired 

• The Sarien Encounter

There's an easy way to enable widescreen in vanilla with some cfg entries like any other Q3 (idtech 4?) or D3 engine game. The sprites, menus, and HUD are all stretched, but the game world is true widescreen at least.

http://www.pcgamer.c...=buffer_pcgamer

Not surprising but.. News anyways regarding the franchise :)

User is offline   HulkNukem 

Prey 2 and Wolfenstein sequel, can't wait.
I wonder what Wolfenstein will entail story wise? With the ending of TNO and all

User is online   Lunick 

How much is Bethesda gonna show at E3? We have Prey 2, Dishonoured 2, The Evil Within 2, supposedly Skyrim Remastered and Wolfenstein too? I'm skeptical.

LOL They're really going to town!

I am kind of surprised they would make The Evil Within 2 when the first one drew a lot of complaints. They shelved Rage after all.

User is online   Jblade 

That is confusing, I could barely stomach the game since it felt like a clusterfuck of ideas and genres plus the forced cinematic bars and ridiculously close camera made it unplayable.

I wouldn't mind a Rage 'remaster' or another BFG edition for the new consoles.
Don't forget Bethesda could also announce or show stuff like Fallout 4 DLC to announce, Battlecry which has been a bit MIA, Doom DLC, and Rogue Warrior 2, 3, and 4.

The last one might've been a shot in the dark guess.

User is online   Lunick 

Are they really gonna show Doom DLC when they haven't even got the current Season Pass finished? Like sure, they could show new SP stuff but wouldn't that be a kick in the teeth for people who bought the Season Pass?

User is offline   MusicallyInspired 

• The Sarien Encounter

Isn't that what the season pass is for? Getting all future DLC content?

View PostLunick, on 08 June 2016 - 06:11 AM, said:

Are they really gonna show Doom DLC when they haven't even got the current Season Pass finished? Like sure, they could show new SP stuff but wouldn't that be a kick in the teeth for people who bought the Season Pass?

Everything in that post was speculation on my part; what I mean for DLC is, show off season pass content. The first one is to be released this summer and includes new maps, a weapon, an MP demon, etc etc. I can see them showing it off in a quick 1 minute video.

User is offline   ---- 

I am fine with the SP content so far.

I am not interested in any Snapmap-content in it's current state. If they make it so that you can create SP-like content (with a full arsenal, outdoor areas and multiple maps connected to a custom campaign) I will immediately buy that DLC.

Multiplayer is of no interest at all to me.

This post has been edited by fuegerstef: 08 June 2016 - 03:50 PM

User is online   Lunick 

View PostHulkNukem, on 08 June 2016 - 10:14 AM, said:

Everything in that post was speculation on my part; what I mean for DLC is, show off season pass content. The first one is to be released this summer and includes new maps, a weapon, an MP demon, etc etc. I can see them showing it off in a quick 1 minute video.

Ah sorry, I didn't realise that the MP content hadn't been revealed yet.

User is online   Lunick 

Guess what New Colossus is
Posted Image

They already did 2 Wolfenstein games, the last being only about a year ago. Does everyone want more so soon?

User is offline   ---- 

View Postdeuxsonic, on 14 June 2016 - 02:38 PM, said:

They already did 2 Wolfenstein games, the last being only about a year ago. Does everyone want more so soon?

1. Can't speak for everyone, but I want more so soon.
2. It only has been teased with a name. It still is quite a long time until it releases, if you think about how things usually go.

User is offline   MetHy 

If they keep going in the same direction as TOB, then yes I want more.

Just let us fight Hitler again, damnit

I hope they do some Shadow Warrior 2 style Multiplayer. :)
Would be so nice to be the main character and everyone else being ''the helpers''.

Maybe they've been working on it in secret and it's nearly done? TNO and TOB were about a year apart, and we're at about a year later now, so maybe they're just saving this big announcement for QuakeCon?

User is offline   Tea Monster 

• Polymancer

View Postdeuxsonic, on 14 June 2016 - 02:38 PM, said:

Hell yeah!

I guess the answer is yes.

Share this topic:

• 16 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options