Duke4.net Forums: Censored DOS version of Wolfenstein 3-D? - Duke4.net Forums

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Censored DOS version of Wolfenstein 3-D?

User is offline   Frenkel 

View PostK1n9_Duk3, on 23 August 2017 - 01:02 PM, said:

From my experience, most American game developers don't really care about correct German language in their games.

This reminds me of the James Bond movie Diamonds Are Forever:
When James Bond is in the Netherlands he speaks German instead of Dutch.

User is offline   necroslut 

View PostFrenkel, on 26 August 2017 - 12:20 PM, said:

This reminds me of the James Bond movie Diamonds Are Forever:
When James Bond is in the Netherlands he speaks German instead of Dutch.

It's not as ridiculous as when germans or frenchmen speak british english, because, youknow, "european english".

User is offline   MrFlibble 

View PostK1n9_Duk3, on 23 August 2017 - 01:02 PM, said:

As far as Dark Forces is concerned... I guess you could use a few lines in the Wolfenstein context, but certainly not all of them. It's been a while since I played Dark Forces (in English and German) and I remember the phrase "rebel scum" being used a lot, which might fit in with the new Wolfenstein 2, but not with Wolf3D. But then again, RTCW and Wolfenstein (2009) were also released as fully localized (and censored) versions here in Germany (and were put on the BPjS list anyway), so you could just take voice samples from these games instead.

I didn't mean to say that German voice-overs from Dark Forces could be used as a substitute in Wolf3D (although some certainly could), it's just that there was a weird feeling of contrast when I played that demo between the correct German there and the faux German in Wolf3D. I suppose the whole situation probably feels different altogether for a native German speaker though.

BTW, I just Googled "Sie verletzen Imperiale Gesetze!" which is the line I remember most clearly from the demo ("You are in violation of Imperial law!") and found this little review from the PC Games (German) magazine which happens to say among other things:

Dadurch wird das Spiel auch sehr viel spannender, denn die Widersacher kündigen ihre Präsenz stets mit einem dummen Spruch („Sie verletzen imperiale Gesetze!", „Stop" oder „Blaster auf volle Energie!") an.
which made me smile :)

Sorry for off-topic guys!

User is offline   FistMarine 

I know this is a bit off-topic but I remember having a modified version of Wolfenstein 3D as a kid and I can't remember what was the mod called. Maybe someone can help me find the mod. Here's what I can remember from the mod:

-You could pick up ammo clips even if you were at 99 ammo
-Knife was removed and BJ just simply punched the guards, although I still remember the HUD showing knife icon
-Machinegun and/or Chaingun may have been modified and having different color like gray or blue
-When you finished an episode that ended with BJ screaming "YEAH!", instead of jumping in air, he felt down
-E2M4 was glitched and spawned you inside wall, thus rendering the episode impossible to finish. If you ended the game and went back to demo loop or loaded a save game, game started to lag and run very slowly. Quitting the game and loading a normal save game will restore the normal game speed.

These are all details I can remember.

This post has been edited by RunningDuke: 05 September 2017 - 01:02 AM

User is offline   K1n9_Duk3 

Back on topic:
Posted Image Posted Image
Posted Image

I found these while browsing the data files of a German version of Return to Castle Wolfenstein. The files were found in "sp_pak2.pk3" under "textures/old_wolf".

No idea why these textures were in the German RTCW release in the first place. The game does not seem to use them and, for all I know, the US version does not even have any of these files.

User is offline   MusicallyInspired 

• The Sarien Encounter

Pretty neat.

User is offline   leilei 

Maybe they wanted to go further with the Wolf3d easter egg at one point (further than the throwback hud) and accidentally included them as censored files during a pak build process?

There's certainly an oldwolf.shader file in mp_pak0.pk3/pak0.pk3 that describes many, many many many many more old_wolf textures and sprites that didn't make the cut that shows strong evidence of this.

This post has been edited by leilei: 06 September 2017 - 09:42 PM

Oh cool,I love those officially censored Wolf3D textures, they should be included in some mod or an ECWolf option perhaps.

That moustache-less guy reminds me of Adrian Brody for some reason.

User is online   Rellik 

I could swear I read an interview once where one of the level designers had imported something like the first episode of Wolf3d into a RtCW map, (the levels were stacked on each other), but some boss thought it was an unimportant addition, and ultimately cut it.

View PostMrFlibble, on 07 September 2017 - 07:57 AM, said:

Oh cool,I love those officially censored Wolf3D textures, they should be included in some mod or an ECWolf option perhaps.That moustache-less guy reminds me of Adrian Brody for some reason.

Not sure I would call these official, as they weren't used in the final game (see spoiler below). Using them in an actual Wolf3D mod would require some extra work, as these textures are in JPEG format. :)

View PostRellik, on 07 September 2017 - 11:11 AM, said:

I could swear I read an interview once where one of the level designers had imported something like the first episode of Wolf3d into a RtCW map, (the levels were stacked on each other), but some boss thought it was an unimportant addition, and ultimately cut it.

I assumed something like that. Since these are only the censored textures, and the other wall textures don't seem to be included, I would assume they didn't include the entire first episode. The later levels of Episode 1 have golden swastikas on red brick walls and there is no censored version of that wall texture.

Spoiler

User is online   Rellik 

Interesting comment I found by (I assume) a developer regarding the classic levels on RtCW HUD secret:

fyi: not an egg really because it didn't get shipped, but in single player we actually did build a working "classic" HUD and interface and Greg Goodrich re-built a /lot/ the original wolf 3-d maps with the new engine using the original textures. The original levels were so small, they all fit into one level file in RTCW. Since they were originally 2D maps (no 'upstairs' and 'downstairs' for example) he just 'stacked' the maps on top of each other in the single wolf .bsp file. It was pulled from shipping because of a)disc space constraints and b)Drew didn't like the idea and was mad at Greg for "wasting his time" on it. :)

View PostK1n9_Duk3, on 07 September 2017 - 01:01 PM, said:

Not sure I would call these official, as they weren't used in the final game (see spoiler below). Using them in an actual Wolf3D mod would require some extra work, as these textures are in JPEG format. :)

I only meant "official" as in "made by or on behalf of the developers (as opposed to fans)", regardless of whether actually used in the game or not.

I didn't realise the textures are in JPEG format but I think it would not be impossible to recreate them in a lossless format pixel by pixel based on the original DOS version textures.

Well, if these textures were "official" censored versions of the original wall textures, I would have expected them to re-use them when they needed to. But they didn't, and created new textures instead (see spoiler). This might have two possible causes:

• They didn't know these textures existed. Which is quite possible, considering they were never actually used and only shipped with the German version.
  • They didn't have the rights to use these textures. After all, RTCW was created by Gray Matter and published by Activision. I have no idea who actually created the censored assets for the German version.

Well, the fact that the files I found were in JPEG format might also have been relevant to this decision. Yes, you could try to recreate lossless versions of the JPEG files, but it would probably be harder than just creating new textures from the original Wolf3D textures. Also, the censored textures appear to have been created using modern software (as true color images), so you might lose some vital color information when trying to convert them back to the Wolf3D formats.

The Game Boy Advance version of Doom 2 also contains unique censored textures for the secret Wolfenstein levels:
https://web.archive....ort.php?ID=3264

These censored textures were included in all territories worldwide, not just Germany. Technically, this censorship was applied to the high resolution Macintosh port wall textures, not the original 64x64 PC textures, so they couldn't transfer over directly, but the takeaway here is that there's never been a consistent censoring attempt of Wolf 3D.

User is offline   MusicallyInspired 

• The Sarien Encounter

View PostK1n9_Duk3, on 09 September 2017 - 01:10 PM, said:

Well, the fact that the files I found were in JPEG format might also have been relevant to this decision. Yes, you could try to recreate lossless versions of the JPEG files, but it would probably be harder than just creating new textures from the original Wolf3D textures. Also, the censored textures appear to have been created using modern software (as true color images), so you might lose some vital color information when trying to convert them back to the Wolf3D formats.

Nah. More likely it was the conversion to JPG that added 24-bit colour. Also, "preserving" colour information and losing "colour quality" from a JPG is a bit of an oxymoron, isn't it?

Attached File  W3d_w004.png (20.55K)
Number of downloads: 7
Just look at this comparison (lossless 800% upscale). Whoever did the censoring obviously used a soft/smooth brush to erase the swastika on the flag.

And when I wrote that you might lose some vital color information, I meant that, to look right, some parts (like the wolfenstein logo in the portrait) might require shades of red & black that are not present in the Wolf3D palette. So importing them into Wolf3D might make them even less recognizable -- if that's even possible in a 64x64 texture.

Share this topic:

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options