Duke4.net Forums: Retro game promos - Duke4.net Forums

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Retro game promos  "Trailers, pictures and more."

User is offline   Daedolon 

• Ancient Blood God

Prey (the mobile game) should be just a single JAR file. It's for non-smart phones from the early 00s. The iOS game is a different game.

I uploaded it here. The password for the RAR file is: wtfisthis

https://mega.nz/#!ML...lTTCP_qwekBE3_4

• Ancient Blood God

In case someone has the game, here's some screens and info about it:

Posted Image

http://www3.skyzonemobile.com/GameLobby.aspx?ItemId=61594

Even if you just have any additional info, PLEASE let me know about it!

User is offline   X-Vector 

http://www.mobygames.../prey-mobile-3d

Looks like different versions of the same game - Prey Mobile 3D on BREW, Prey Invasion on iPhone and Prey Evil on Zeebo (what?).

There's some more footage available on YT.

User is offline   cybdmn 

My assumption was true, the MSI contains an installation for windows mobile devices, to be installed via Active Sync. For the moment i can not say so much more about it, for i am not at home, where i have an PDA running windows mobile 2003.

Anyways, these are the files inside the MSI:

Posted Image

When i am at home, i will try to install it on my pda.

User is offline   cybdmn 

This is what the Preystage1.ini looks like

[CEAppManager]
Version      = 1.0
Component    = Prey3DStage1

[Prey3DStage1]
Description  = Prey 3D for your Windows CE–based device
Uninstall    = Prey3DStage1

IconFile     = prey3d.ico
IconIndex    = 0
DeviceFile   = prey3d.exe

;Because there are multiple .cab files specific to a CPU type,
;these files are relative to the installation directory.
CabFiles=preyStage1.cab

So, Preystage1.CAB is the container, which will be installed on the mobile device. Back then, WM applications and games came mostly in two forms, an MSI (often with an setup.exe wrapper) or as an simple CAB file. To install these you had to do it with the device connected to a PC via Active Sync or later (Vista, W7, etc.) via Mobile Device Center.

Daedolon, on 31 December 2017 - 01:11 AM, said:

In case someone has the game, here's some screens and info about it:

(cut)

Even if you just have any additional info, PLEASE let me know about it!

Until now, I had no idea a 2D Prey game even existed.

cybdmn, on 31 December 2017 - 04:12 AM, said:

So, Preystage1.CAB is the container, which will be installed on the mobile device. Back then, WM applications and games came mostly in two forms, an MSI (often with an setup.exe wrapper) or as an simple CAB file. To install these you had to do it with the device connected to a PC via Active Sync or later (Vista, W7, etc.) via Mobile Device Center.

Have you been able to run it?

This post has been edited by Altered Reality: 31 December 2017 - 06:09 AM

User is offline   cybdmn 

Altered Reality, on 31 December 2017 - 06:06 AM, said:

Have you been able to run it?

Not at the moment. I tried to install it into an windows mobile emulator, which fails. With every WM image from microsoft i tried, there is not enough storage memory available. Prey need at least 28 MB free, which is much, given that the devices back then mostly don't have more than 64 MB of RAM, often 32 MB storage, 32MB as RAM.

Think i have to try it on real hardware, which is unavailable for me atm. I guess i will come home next, i will use my PDA to try to get it running.

Edit: I managed to copy all files manually to the emulator image, but it won't run. Unfortunately these emulator was mostly designed to test business apps for windows mobile, not games. Games mostly won't run, i tried that before with two games i bought for this platform. One was Doom (developed by Machineworks Northwest too), the other was Call of Duty 2.

However, this is how it looks on the emulator:

Posted Image

If i try to run it, the screen is just plain white.

This post has been edited by cybdmn: 31 December 2017 - 08:27 AM

User is offline   MrFlibble 

Duke Nukem Forever at E3 '98:
Attached Image: shot5big.jpg

[Edit] And what's this?
Attached Image: shot23big.gif
(found here)

Is that the working title of Cryptic Passage?

This post has been edited by MrFlibble: 07 January 2018 - 07:42 AM

• Ancient Blood God

The art is the original planned cover for Cryptic Passage, so I would think so.

Really weird, and interesting.

User is offline   Sanek 

Daedolon, on 07 January 2018 - 09:03 AM, said:

The art is the original planned cover for Cryptic Passage, so I would think so.

Really weird, and interesting.

It looks bad, IMO - very amateur, not a box cover-quality. Besides, there's no Sunstorm logo here.

I thought I'd share a little overview of promo art (mostly screenshots) sources available through the Wayback Machine.

First off, it seems useful to classify sources into primary and secondary sources, with the former meaning ones where you get materials that come directly from developers/publishers, without intermediaries. Obviously, developer/publisher websites and/or stand-alone official game websites are by this definition primary sources, but online and offline game magazines, dedicated gaming websites etc. occasionally may act as primary sources if they receive and publish materials directly from developers/publishers and such materials are not available from official websites. Secondary sources re-publish what is already available from primary sources, and this is handy if a primary source is not available or only partially preserved by the Wayback Machine. Secondary sources also may contribute to material quality degradation if they add their own logos, stamps or otherwise alter images (e.g. convert an image in a lossless format to lossy JPEG). However the same may also happen with primary sources, especially the JPEG thing.

That said, here I'll mostly focus on primary and secondary sources that are online gaming publications. Below is a brief annotated list of what I found to be noteworthy websites in this department.

A thing to keep in mind is that when in comes to screenshots, reviewers took different approaches, using either official images, their own screenshots, or both. It is often not clear which is which from the context of an article alone, requiring further research and cross-references. As a rule of thumb, pre-release previews are more likely to include official images, and post-release reviews have a greater likelihood of custom screenshots, but this is not always the case.

Primary sources

Computer Games Online/Strategy Plus
I found this to be arguably one of the best sources so far. Its obvious advantage is that they received and published official screenshots is lossless format (GIF), but there are two immediate downsides to this. First, prior to late 1996/early 1997 most articles contain cropped screenshots inserted into text with no full-size images. Second, as the site switched to publishing full-sized screenshots in lossless format their number per article reduced dramatically. The site is still a good source of official stuff, with plenty of official materials often not found at official websites, or at least not in lossless quality. It regularly published previews with official images, and the same are sometimes used for reviews and even hints & tips. Occasionally you find concept art and renders along screenshots. Sometime in the late-90s they switched to publishing JPEG screenshots and adding their logo to each image.

There are two points in the Wayback Machine timeline to look at, the site's pages preserved up to late 1997/early 1998, and an archive of articles from 1996 to 2001. The latter has more materials (obviously) but images for some of the articles are not available through the Wayback Machine, at least at the time of writing.

Next Generation Online
A large and respectable gaming magazine, which is not always easy to navigate because of the incomplete state of preservation within the Wayback Machine. More often than not I had to list the preserved contents to actually browse what it has, on a few occasions I found images but not the article they belonged to. Some previews were published as such while others as news items in the newsfeed. Screenshots and other stuff often appeared as JPEG images, and in may cases with the site's logo stamped on them. However the magazine had access to some pretty exclusive stuff and better quality counterparts to many images may not be publicly available at all.

PC Gamer
Noteworthy sections include feature articles and previews. Be sure to check different time snapshots of these pages.

GameSpot
This site is mostly good for reference, as it published official screenshots, yet everything larger than 320x200 is shrunk down, and everything is in JPEG. It still has some rare stuff like the very early screenshots from Descent. GameSpot exists to this day, so if something is not available via the Wayback Machine, just check the current site.

Coming Soon Magazine
Basically what is said above about GameSpot applied to this publication as well. Screenshots are in JPEG quality and shrunk down if larger than 320x200, but mostly come from official sources and can be used for reference. Rare pre-release images may be found on more than one occasion. Yes, the site still exists.

The Adrenaline Vault
An important preview/review website. Previews included official screenshots, but stamped with the site's logo and in JPEG (but in good quality). Starting with late 1997 and above the state of preservation is not satisfactory, but in a few instances interesting stuff may be found.

NUKE Computer Gaming
The Computer Gaming World article archive. Has some interesting stuff but later publications have logo stamps on images.

GamesDomain Review
A popular gaming website focused on reviews mostly. In the context of the Wayback Machine its advantage is that there were several regional mirrors (about five or six in total), so if one does not have what you need you can check the others. The downside is that more often than not, screenshots are courtesy of the reviewers, and previews were not considered high priority apparently. What's more some previews are based on pre-release demo versions (or confidential press betas) so the screenshots are again custom-made. This means greater scrutiny is required to identify official materials. An example would be Magic Carpet II.

Online Gaming Review (OGR)
As far as I can tell this site mostly used official images in both previews and reviews, sometimes converted to JPEG from a lossless format. Snapshots from 1998 and above do not have any images available in the Wayback Machine, but what was preserved via external sources suggests that a logo would be stamped on images. There are also feature articles and some preview screenshot galleries but not very extensive. At some point around 2000s, the site was merged with Computer Games Online (see above).

Game-Over!
A British website, partially still available online to this day AFAIK. Screenshots is reviews are official, but mostly shrunk down, even 320x200 images. However I found very rare images in a preview of Red Alert. Later issues (1998 and above) have full-sized images, sometimes official.

GamePen
Some interesting stuff may be found here, for example the NASCAR Racing 2 screenshots are identical to those from Sierra's website but, inexplicably, in better quality (still JPEG though).

World Village Gamer's Zone Software Reviews
This is a game review section of a general website/online community. The list might not look overly impressive but at least some reviews have official screenshots, and not always those from official websites. Example: Apache. Later reviews feature only downsized screenshots, sadly.

Gamer's Online Resource Game Depot
This was mostly a demo downloads site with a few reviews. However I found a rare Jagged Alliance screenshot in lossless quality, in a review of Deadly Games.

Secondary sources

MeccaWorld Games Database
A very good source to find "lost" official screenshots. This site almost exclusively used screenshots taken from official developer/publisher websites in unaltered form and even with the original file names preserved intact. The downside is that most game pages only have about two, less often three images, but still quite helpful. The game database is also not too extensive.

Hotgames.com
This review site also published screenshots from official sites (were available) is unaltered quality, except lossless images were converted to JPEG. Initially the site would procedurally shrink down screenshots (and also stretching 320x200 to 320x240) while preserving them in full size, but later siwtched to manually downsizing large screenshots. Rare items include some low-res screenshots from Carmageddon Splat Pack that are official but don't seem to be available from either SCi or Interplay.

Just found this Plutonium Pak screenshot here (a Japanese website):
Attached Image: d3dpp3.jpg

User is offline   cybdmn 

Tried to install Prey Mobile on my device without any luck. Get an error, stating that i need to have at least 28MB of free memory, even when i have enough memory free. Sadly this is nothing new with WindowsCE/Mobile stuff from Machineworks Northwest. Installing the commercial port of Doom from MWNW is tricky too.

Some Blood screenshots from The Cheatres Guild review. These were also published on a Czech gaming magazine coverdisk.

MrFlibble, on 18 February 2018 - 10:15 AM, said:

Some Blood screenshots from The Cheatres Guild review.

I remembered where I'd encountered these before, it was the GamePen preview.

Here's the page of Exhumed at the BMG Interactive German website. The screenshots are all extremely shrunk down, but some are not known from elsewhere AFAIK.

The text in red seems to be inspired by passages from the Book of the Dead, but I'm not sure if there's an exact parallel.

Some good quality MechWarrior 2 shots:
http://www.activision.com/games/mechseries/

Just found a fan site with some good quality MechWarrior 2 pre-release shots:
http://rom.oit.gatech.edu/~willday/mw2/mech2/

Who's up for some high-res art from MDK (originally found here)?
https://imgur.com/a/ghRkd5X

I just found some pretty rare StarCraft wallpapers on this coverdisk. Lossless compression, each comes in three resolutions:
https://imgur.com/a/6wuTdzO

I was just browsing the Shareware CD collection at the Internet Archive and found a huge bunch of screenshots from a pre-release beta version of Doom (similar to the 5 October 1993 preview) on the Supergames Volume 2 CD:
https://imgur.com/a/7WFIwQM

It is not clear to me whether id Software did those or someone simply had that old press beta which can be now downloaded from the idgames archive.

This post has been edited by MrFlibble: 18 November 2019 - 04:52 AM

User is offline   Sanek 

Bought a cheap bundle of some old game demos/promos...not sure if there's any value in any of these, but in case you want a review of the particular title...let me know

Attached Image: s-l160.jpg

I have the Joan Of Arc game, let's see your review.

User is offline   Sanek 

Fantinaikos, on 28 November 2019 - 12:30 PM, said:

I have the Joan Of Arc game, let's see your review.

Well, the Joan of Arc CD is actually a demo disc from Computer Gaming World, issue #233, December 2003.

There's not only demo version of Joan of Arc, but also Jedi Knight: Jedi Academy and Magic: The Gathering Online 2.0.
Here's the main page:
Attached Image: 28-11-2019 23.46.09.png

And there's some pictures from the game during the install process:

Attached Image: IN 28-11-2019 23.49.47.pngAttached Image: IN 28-11-2019 23.50.06.png

Honestly, I don't have much interest in this game, but the demo offers some kind of a tutorial and one playable mission.

There's also lots of other stuff on the CD. The "Shareware" section have no less than 10 games, including such oldie as Doom 95!
Attached Image: 28-11-2019 23.54.16.png

"Extras" have the music that plays when you navigate this disc, and there's a trailer of "Ultima X: Odyssey". Unfortunately, I was not able either to see or extract the trailer, since the file is apparently broken (the CD is full of scratches, btw). :)

The "Patches" is empty, but "Wallpaper" section have 3 wallpapers, one for the Jedi Academy, and two for Joan of Arc. I attached all of it in this post.

This is it. Not sure if you're satisfied by this...review, but I hope I was descriptive enough. :lol:

Attached File(s)

• Attached File  WP.zip (4.72MB)
    Number of downloads: 201

This post has been edited by Sanek: 28 November 2019 - 01:37 PM

User is offline   Tekedon 

Well. I have this footage I recorded of a KIXX CD many years ago, which came with Police Quest 1 for PC (cd version). It's the so called "Spring Demo" rolling demo.

https://www.youtube....h?v=7vodb7d0NQI

It's the SSI demo created by Future Crew (IIRC). You can get it from a bunch of places including here. (a while ago I also found its original installer at cd.textfiles.com but it does not work out of the box; SSI used ARJ to pack their installers so I was able to extract the file but the installer itself reports an error)

I love the music.

UPD: Also your video doesn't use aspect ratio correction; the images should be 640x480.

This post has been edited by MrFlibble: 30 November 2019 - 01:04 PM

Awooo of the BetaArchive forums shared some previews that had been available from the Finnish MBNet website:
https://www.betaarch...hp?f=14&t=40391

All stuff is in original lossless quality. This includes cover art for Cryptic Passage that was shown at E3 1997 (same as what I found here but with the final version of the title).
Attached Image: CRYPCOV.png

Share this topic:

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options