Duke4.net Forums: Any Duke related dreams? - Duke4.net Forums

• 8 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Any Duke related dreams?

User is offline   ck3D 

this is the best non-project related thread on these boards, damn. I love dreams. High Treason's recollections of his tripped me out !

I used to have a lot of duke 3D dreams when I was younger, I'm a rather intense person in general as far as interests go so whenever I'm passionate about something it tends to influence my dreams heavily and constantly. I don't get much of them Duke dreams anymore now that I can't find the time to play or map for the game anymore, but I'm sure if I started working on a new project or even just played a few user maps they would come back.

most of them would involve the actual process of map making, I would dream that I would either be in the editor or playing a new map from the internet, which would turn out to be gigantic and I would straight up start tripping out on some original, crazy spritework, architecture, overall construction i.e.. huge cities with rooftops and crazy detailed buildings, going on for miles on end... just think of the best Duke map you've ever played and increase the detail and scale tenfold. I would dream of original gameplay elements too, sometimes. funnily enough, technically, everything would have been entirely re-doable in Build in 'real life' (with the limitations in mind too, i.e.. before TROR was even a thing, floors would be made of sprites etc.), had I ever possessed the required patience, vision, eye for detail and amount of spare time to recreate them. but those imaginary maps my brain would generate were so detailed that as soon as I would wake up and try to actually reproduce them, the two thirds of the subtleties would have vanished from my memory already - I would have needed screenshots of that stuff ! a lot of the stuff in my released maps come from dreams I've had, actually - but the final product doesn't look nearly as impressive. if anything, those frustrating experiences highlighted the importance of the gap between intangible, abstract vision & imagination, and personal technique, to me ; thereby making me only more aware of what I still lacked despite having been mapping for years already, and magnifying that rather than what I could already do and sit on, it made me want to push myself even further !

in my first years of playing the game I also had a few instances of those little kid dreams where you get chased by a boss of sorts and try to get away by running or using the jetpack etc. yet somehow nothing will function, but that's a rather typical reoccurring dream pattern, I guess

This post has been edited by ck3D: 21 August 2016 - 03:06 AM

User is offline   FistMarine 

Thanks! At first I didn't want to create a thread like this but after seeing the similar one at DoomWorld forums that gained a bit of popularity, I thought I'd make my own for Duke4.net and it seemed like it was a good idea after all. Sadly, not many people participate in this thread but it's much better than I expected initially. :P

When I was a kid, I also had many dreams related to the old games and I still remember some Duke related dreams that I had back then but I don't think it's worth mentioning them since I barely remember anything from them. I used to dream about a lot of things. Nowadays I mostly dream about life and sometimes I also dream about games, mostly Doom, Duke3D and Quake because they are my favorite games and were the games that I played the most in my entire life. B)

User is offline   juvenite 

Can I just create a random story with Duke, say it was a dream and then we pretend I never asked this?

This post has been edited by Katrix Kytarix: 22 August 2016 - 05:30 PM

Well yes you can but this isn't the purpose of this topic. The purpose of this topic is to tell what Duke (or in some cases Doom) related dreams you've had last night or in the past few days. This topic isn't about random stories or what you wish to have the next Duke game or anything like that. Feel free to create a different topic for those.

User is offline   juvenite 

Oh, okay. I wanted to share Duke dreams, it'd be fun. If I had any... Posted Image

User is offline   Jolteon 

Just had another Duke related Dream last night. Not 100% sure, but I think I was playing a Doom mod in the Dream (Either that or it could've been Doom fused with Duke, and Serious Sam too). In it there was Duke 3D texture right off the bat, and there were some alien from Duke as well (Lizard Troopers, and the commander). Then after defeating them, I've continued, down this path into this room, where a bunch of Revenants from Doom (Classic ones and not the new one) appeared. They killed me, so when I reloaded, there was no Revenants, and instead there were Chaos Serpents from Hexen. Then some Fiend Demons from Serious Sam appeared as well. I defeated then with the sniper from Serious Sam. Then I entered the next level where I was in this food market or something where suddenly it turned into a make-your-sandwich-similator kind of game where I made a Salami sandwich. After that I ended up in the back of this building where a key was at. (I Think it was a red key) After picking it up and headed outside there was this Garbage truck that appear, and whenever I get near it, it ran me over, so there might've been a Zombiemen or something riding it. So I reloaded and started attacking the Garbage truck with a Chaingun Cannon. That was pretty much it. It had nothing to do with the shiny Braixen dreams once so ever.

User is offline   necroslut 

Years ago, before DNF was released, I dreamt about it a few times. Mostly about playing it (or being "in" it), but one dream I remember was about new footage and info having been released.
I've also had at least two dreams about playing some odd/cool/nonexistant Duke 3D TC. This was also years ago, and probably because I had been going through a lot of mods and maps.

User is offline   Yatta 

• Pizza Lawyer

View Postnecroslut, on 28 August 2016 - 03:41 PM, said:

Years ago, before DNF was released, I dreamt about it a few times. Mostly about playing it (or being "in" it),

Same here. And it was glorious.

Interesting dreams. I laughed at your dream Jolteon, especially at Salami sandwich part. :P I like when dreams change into weird things that have nothing to do with game or stuff gets mixed from various games. B)

Speaking of old DNF, I think I also dreamed once when I was a kid about playing the 2001 version of DNF and it was awesome. I remember seeing the trailer as a kid (it was included on Manhattan Project CD) and wanted so much to play it.

I've had another Duke related dreams in previous days but I don't remember anything from them. However last night I had yet another dream of that Doom mod from 2007 that I keep dreaming of. I remember finding a download link somewhere (maybe the author uploaded it) and the file size was about 48 MB but for some reason the download kept getting corrupted at about 44-46 MB thanks to a link popup that redirected me to a malware website and because of that, I had to close the tab but for some reason the download closed and it usually happened in the end. I wondered if I will ever get to download the whole file. Too bad the dream ended before I could play the mod. Ah well it would have been pointless anyway, since it was just a dream. :D

This post has been edited by FistMarine: 28 August 2016 - 11:00 PM

Had a Duke3D dream last night. It was about playing some weird user map that was huge and I kept running low on health and ammo because there were a lot of monsters. I remember that you could jump really high in map and take long falls without taking falling damage and it was useful because I was fighting many troopers, enforcers and mini battlelords at same time, usually spawning when picking up the keys. I also remember reading the text file that came with the map and it said that the map is based off E4L7: XXX-Stacy but I didn't found any similarity with that. I found more the map looking like a castle or building and textures were misaligned and the rooms were also oversized for some reason. There were more details but I forgot about them.

Had yet another Duke3D dream last night. This time it was about playing Caribbean and it was very buggy. I remember being on first level but for some reason it looked like the starting area of the fourth level (The Wavemistress), the part after you get lifted. This is where it started being weird. The HUD was from EDuke32 but the font was yellow (like in Vacation+ mod) instead of the usual orange and the chaingun (triple poison shooter) looked like using HRP model and tiny and appeared in the right lower part of the HUD besides the ammo counter. The single banana pickup only gave 5 health instead of 10. The monsters were acting normal at least. It seems that I was using EDuke32 with Vacation+ mod because of the HUD, yellow font, Caribbean HRP and so on.

Later I also remember the graphics started to glitch, for example I was holding Shrinker (using Duke3D Shrinker sprites instead of Caribbean Voodoo Ring) and it started to change into Expander sprites and into blue Freezethrower firing animation, because mod was expecting to have Caribbean 1.5 installed but it looked like I was using Caribbean 1.3 version. For some reason there was also that tower from last level of DNF 2013 mod that was shooting with shrink/expand rays but they were again glitched to change into random sprites. This is where I realized that I should have installed the Atomic 1.5 version of Caribbean and not the 1.3D one. That's all I remember from the dream.

This sprite-changing glitch actually exists in Megaton Edition when playing huge user maps. You can see the glitch in action in this video. Just skip to about 14:00 when glitch starts happening.

This post has been edited by FistMarine: 31 August 2016 - 10:14 AM

I had this dream last night, where I just saw this image of Jolteon dreaming about playing Duke Nukem 3D facing some Battlelords. I've tried to recreate this image in Gmod with a little bit of paint. Not 100% accurate, but it is similar.

Attached Image: Jolteon's Dream.png

That's a really funny and interesting dream at the same time.

Last night I also had another Duke3D related dream. This one was about the new fifth episode from the 20th anniversary World Tour edition. I remember either playing the game or watching a video on YouTube that showed the new maps and when seeing the first map (which was made by Allen Blum, maybe Levelord also helped a bit), I was a bit disappointed that the design isn't as good as the original episodes. I thought the rooms were oversized and the design wasn't as good as I thought. Then I remembered someone saying that the first 2 levels are actually the best of the episode, so I assumed the rest of the episode is going to be even worse than what I've seen so far. That's all I remember from the dream.

User is offline   spessu_sb 

There was one that was based on Duke3D visuals and where I had played through some totally odd Episode 1 which is unreleased and doesn't even exist and eventhough "I" (me spessu_sb) wasn't playing it because I saw it from first person, I still remember me thinking (not duke) "man, that's way too easy".

Then episode 2 started and that was different. E2 started and I was locked in some box which walls were made from the Duke3D vent texture but had small holes so that you can see outside from it. I remember the outside of the box having some wooden xshape support beams and there was vegetation growing in these support woods. And the ground floor was water (dunno if diveable or not). The box where I started in, had space very little move just only bit to the sides of a person's size. First there spawned some harmless Assault Troopers that were no biggy to get rid off but eventually there was a freaking Battlelord just like 3meters from me on the leftside of me and this is to where I kinda woke up and didn't think anymore "man, that's way too easy" :D

I dunno really if you could beat up an Battlelord who is draining your hp with the chainguncannon just 3 meters from you, even if you do have the access to the devastator.

That was my first ever Duke dream in my life and I know actually why it happened, because I am really skeptical and kinda disappointed about Duke's future as a franchise at this moment.

This post has been edited by spessu_sb: 04 September 2016 - 03:43 PM

I had a pretty weird Dream last night. I dreamed that I was playing Hollywood Holocaust in the new World Tour (The medkits had the pill icon). Although there were some weird stuff that were in the dreams that I don't ever recall seeing in World Tour vidoes. When I was in the lobby of the movie theater, I had a flashlight on (Kinda like from Half Life) which was something you never could do in Duke Nukem. Also When I turned on render lighting while trying to disable the flashlight, I notice the room except for the counter was very dark, and I couldn't see a thing. I was like "Nope, I'm don't want to deal with this" So I turned it off, and I could see again. Then I went into the bathroom, and there I found what appears to be a secret exit. I was thinking to myself "This was never here, Did they added a secret level in Episode 1 for World Tour?" So I exited the level and went to a big city level. In the level, there were some pigcops, some of which actually acted like the Pigcop Captain from my Prison Train level, except they wore brown uniforms instead of gray (They of course fire rockets at me). Along with that, there were also enforcers there, as well as the new FireFly enemies, and there was also a mini BattleLord too. That's pretty much all I remembered from the Dream.

Nice dream Jolteon! I wish I had more dreams about Duke these days but I don't recall having one since last time.

EDIT: Or maybe I had some dreams but I forgot to post about them. Damn.

This post has been edited by FistMarine: 22 September 2016 - 08:42 AM

Hell that's strange...

I had Duke related dream today lol

Lately I started collecting Duke Nukem stuff again and I saw in dream that a friend of mine owned every piece of Duke Nukem release sealed and new. I somehow was trying to get them all from him for free lol...
In the end when I walked into my house with all the stuff (I dunno how I carried them... strange things happen in dreams) I woke up... with the Duke bust looking at me from my desk lol. What a disappointment : _D

This post has been edited by EvilEmperorZoRG {GR}: 22 September 2016 - 12:53 PM

User is offline   necroslut 

Last night I dreamt that Gearbox announced a brand new Duke game with a video released. However, it was an amateurish mobile-oriented "retro"-sidescroller, You know, complete with pixelated graphics in incompatible resolutions and all that. The community was in uproar!
It was also some kind of cross-IP-release, with another playable character but Duke, but I've forgotten which the other character was.

Interesting dreams! I just had a Duke3D related dream last night, although there were details that I don't remember right now.

Basically my father wanted to play Duke3D again, so we installed the old 1.3D version we had from that old CD with games. I remember he was playing the first episode and reached Launch Facility secret level but it was a lot more different. There was a point where you had to jump down at few meters and fight with quite a few enemies down in a factory or something. However it was really hard and he kept dying because there were enforcers and even mini battlelords down there, I remember at one point when he loaded game, it showed health 0 (classic status bar was enabled) but then after few seconds, it quickly became 69 and 100 armor as well, it seems like the status bar didn't properly update immediately after dying and restarting. Looks I have another dream where version 1.3D is very glitchy. Anyway tried a few more times but gave up and later I remember I wanted to cheat to help him but it was in Damn I'm Good difficulty and tried to type a cheat but it printed an interesting message "Tried to cheat? Levelord is confessed." or something like that (the message is similar to game Heretic where if you type the suicide cheat, it prints a similar message), however the message has an error as you can see, should have been confused and not confessed. Maybe it was just an Easter Egg message of some sort thrown by developers.

Anyway I remembered the old trick to start a game at a lower difficulty level, enter God Mode cheat and then switch back to Damn I'm Good but interestingly, the difficulties were renamed. I don't remember what were they called. When we restarted the episode, it started again in Launch Facility but this time in an acid area with crushers. At that point I wanted to show my father the levels he never found, such as Faces of Death (it wasn't supposed to be accessed in SP at all), Spin Cycle (it's the only secret level neither of us found when I was young) and Lunatic Fringe (while he didn't found the level, I found it one time by myself while wandering around in Dark Side). I tried to warp to Faces of Death but it didn't allow me, I was thinking of that old DOS version limitation where DNSCOTTY cheat doesn't let me to access E1L7 and E1L8.

After that I go and cheat to go to Spin Cycle and I show him the level but it seems to be a bit more different this time. The spinning area seemed to be a bit glitchy and caused monsters to become squished, while rotating speed was increasing. Shortly after, I go to Lunatic Fringe and I start to shoot those 4 buttons to activate the middle area as you would normally do. However after I shot one of those buttons, it seems that the pistol caused one of those buttons to break and fall down and because of that, it didn't count and I got stuck.

This is all I remember from the dream. There were a lot more details but I unfortunately forgot about them.

User is offline   king karl 

i started playing duke 3d when i was 4 years old, nearly all of my dreams follow the rules of the build engine

I had a dream yesterday that I almost forgot about it but it wasn't about the 20th Anniversary World Tour sadly. It was about some Quake 3 Arena mod converted into Duke Nukem 3D but it still felt like playing Quake 3 Arena with some Duke Nukem 3D twists.

Had another Duke3d dream last night. It was about some epic map created by CK3D/MRCK that was basically many of his maps combined into a single huge map (although in the dream, they were brand new maps that weren't seen before), that was mostly about tech-bases, canyons and much more. I remember using the jetpack at the canyon part and taking screenshots of that area, it was beautifully designed. I also remember the tech base part of the map which had multiple shrinker puzzles and while shrunk, you had to be careful to not be stepped on by assault troopers. And then there were some puzzles involving choosing the correct button combination. Unfortunately, that's all I can remember.

Last night, I had a weird dream, In it I saw a vision of what it looks like the Cycloid Emperor, except that he was all purple, and there were also other creatures in the dream as well, not just those from Duke Nukem, but from other games as well, like Doom, and and even Call of Duty Zombies. I think the purple Cycloid in the dream was called Dark Matter Cycloid, and I think he combined different universes from other games into one universe (I'm not sure if this has any connection with my past dreams with that Shiny Braixen).

Hello everyone, I'm new to the site, but I have played Duke Nukem games since I was 3. So here is me contribution:
In this dream I had, I envisioned I'm the CEO/Owner of my very game company, AP Games LLC. It took place like 8-10 years from now. My team and I were using Epic Games' Unreal 4 Engine creating beautiful action adventure games (fps, top-down, & 3rd person). Taking a risk for the company, I purchased and resurrected the Fighting Force franchise by Eidos (Not sure if Eidos is still in existence) and began resurrecting it. The first FF game under new ownership was released as a bundle; you got the original FF game with a changeable soundtrack (since the N64 & PS1 version actually have different soundtracks) and an updated version biulr in the Unreal 4 Engine (it looked awesome!) For a $20.00 value, and it was a huge success! So after making major bank, I decided to go out and somehow buy the Duke Nukem franchise and make my very Duke game (s). Interestingly the Duke franchise was dead, Gearbox really didn't toy with it that much and agreed to past it on. Back at my company's HQ, some of my peolpe had no faith in duke and said I made a huge mistake, others were highly spectacle. I summoned a meeting with the main peolpe who worked on duke the previous decades and asked for their blessing as to relaunching the Duke franchise. The intention was to furnish all the 3D Realms' Duke games and release them into a big bundle deal. The bundle deal included Duke 1, Duke 2, Duke 3D Atomic Ed with the World Episode along with Duke it out in D.C., Carribean life's a beach, nuclear winter, & duke!ZONE 1&2, also included was Plug N Pray from total meltdown made into this mega Duke 3D version. Also included is a bonus episode called Nukem 64 which basically is Duke 64 made into a long continuous episode with all the bells and whistles like the real Duke 64. Next in the Bundle came Duke Zero Hour, Time to Kill, Land of the Babes, Manhattan Projected, a way cleaner and better version of Critical Mass. And for Duke Forever, my team & I reinstated it by creating 2 new DNF games using the old quake and unreal engines which very generously given to us by the old 3D Realms guys. So we basically finished building DNF 1998 with the quake engine and DNF 2001 version with unreal, and it was a heck of a great experience to see DNF 1998 & 2001 in finished states. And oh...I did include DNF 2011 in the Bundle for its own sake, albeit a fixed up version. Also in the Bundle were finished games of the 2D side scrolled Duke 4Ever, Man of Valor/D Day, Endangered Species, Duke Begins, and Proving Grounds and Chain Reaction. And one last game, the one that would begin my company's duke saga a brand new Duke game in UE4, to establish a passing of the torch of 3D Realms to AP Games. This new duke game had the same duke character everyone knows and loves but rediscovers all the rules and what makes duke well duke. This huge bundle was built to reestablish the Duke IP and to pay respects to 3D Realms and to bring anew to the franchise. Our publisher was actually Rockstar Games who agreed to help get it to shelf, since they seem to have their heads on publishing what they make and not giving 2 cents about criticisms. So I vaguely remember walking into a GameStop or some other retailer and seeing that huge Duke Nukem bundle deal on sale for like a $50 and was selling better fantasticly for both pc's and consoles and beating other high end AAA games by tenfold. After about two years later since the Duke franchise was reborn,Duke fans rejoiced with and things were getting better with the realeade of the mod tools for the games and as well as the second installment in the AP Games saga, and then 3 years later, came a reborn project for a third game, called Duke 3D Reloaded. I got in contact with Interceptor to biuld out of respect since their attempt was shutdown. Using the UE4 instead of UE3 as originally planned, the game to fruition and was a massive success. Another part of the dream was when the APG Duke was born, I would place it in a shared universe with the other games my company owned. It actually was quit cool to see an Easter egg of duke kickin' alien ass while in the Fighting Force re image to be fighting against Zeng's goons in one part of the game. And one other game my company made crossing over duke with other franchises was a big arena fighting game with various objectives and other stuff like Super Smash Bros combined with Unreal Tournament, Turok Rage Wars, and Quake Arena.

Hello and welcome to the forums! This is a very nice dream and the best of all dreams posted in this thread. I enjoyed reading it! ;)

I had a few crazy dreams the past few nights. The first one was that I was in some kind of Lego game. Everything was made out of Lego. Then I found this small building that wasn't made out of Lego, so I went inside of it. Inside were a few Lizard Troopers. After defeating them, I entered a room were in it, there were dead Lizard Troopers with these big spoons standing over them. Then I entered a big theater like room, and in it there was a Protector Drone roaming around, but when I entered, the Protector Drone exploded and all of the sudden these big standing spoons from before were standing in the theater chairs and I was thinking to myself "This can't be good." Then when I went onto the stage, the spoons started to attack me. That's all for that dream.

Last night was a pretty weird one. It wasn't really Duke related though. I dreamed that I was playing the Wraith of the Machine raid with my friends on PS4 in Destiny where we were on the part where you had to put the parts on this siege engine itself. What was weird was that it was in the Build Engine like Duke Nukem, and it had the bosses from Wolfenstein 3D on the machine as well (I wonder if this dream was to mock me since we were doing the raid the other night but had to stop because of my crappy internet kicked me out of the game ;) ).

Spoiler

Interesting dreams. I don't think I've had any Duke related dreams in past few days but I recall a Shadow Warrior classic dream few days ago, though I don't remember much about it other than having to fight with flies and/or mosquitoes. Yes there were even smaller enemies than the hornets from vanilla game. ;)

Spoiler

I had yet another weird dream about Duke Nukem last night. This time involving with Zero Hour. I was dreaming that I was playing Zero Hour, and I was up to the part where you were facing the evil Dukes in the Level, The Brothers Nukem, When I got up to the area with the evil sniper Duke and the evil Duke with the Multi-Launcher, it was different. After I defeated the Multi-Launcher evil Duke, I saw that there were multiple sniper evil Dukes, and there was also a bunch of Ceberus Turret (Those big ground Turrets that has the chaingun, and rocket launchers attach). Then I noticed another Multi-launcher Evil Duke, and I was like "Didn't I already defeated this Duke Already?" So pretty much I was trying to avoid that area, and ended up back tracking to get more ammo. Then I noticed as I was backtracking I saw another Ceberus Turret, and A Gorgon Turret (The big ground turret that fires the BMF Thunderstrike) near the area with the river. I was like "They were not there before! What is going on?" Then I noticed the Ceberus Turret came out of the ground, and started to fly, kinda looking like how it would be on the Intermission screens (That version of it wasn't used at all in the game, It was only seen on Intermission screens. I wonder why they scraped it). That's pretty much about it for the dream.

I should start up my N64 and start playing Zero Hour again. I haven't played that game for years now.

Nice dream! Unfortunately I haven't had any Duke related dreams over the past couple of days as far as I remember, I only dream about real life stuff.

Had some Duke related dreams these days.

1) Few days ago I had a dream where NightFright released version 3.2 of addon compilation pack, it was mainly few more bug fixes.

2) Last night I had a Duke3D dream where I was playing the Christmas themed user map Driving Home For Christmas.

Share this topic:

• 8 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options