Duke4.net Forums: "Error 200" When i try to run Duke It Out In D.C - Duke4.net Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

"Error 200" When i try to run Duke It Out In D.C

User is offline   Postal 

I downloaded Duke It Out In D.C and it gives me
"Error 200" and some other numbers.

Please help!

User is offline   Master Fibbles 

• I have the power!

"downloaded"? Although this is not the company's board, I don't think you will get much of a welcome for downloading a game. That also may be why you get errors.

User is offline   The Commander 

• I used to be a Brown Fuzzy Fruit, but I've changed bro...

Error 2000 = You are a pirate, go buy the game.

User is offline   Postal 

Isn't Duke It Out In D.C A fan made mod. Thus no value to 3DR? (even though its closed down)

User is offline   Jimmy 

• Let's go Brandon!

Duke It Out In DC was a commercial mod by a now defunct company.

View PostPostal, on May 11 2009, 01:21 PM, said:

Isn't Duke It Out In D.C A fan made mod. Thus no value to 3DR? (even though its closed down)

*sigh*

No Duke It Out D.C. was developed by Sunstorm Interactive and published by WizardWorks. And if you think because 3DR is now closed down that it makes it free to download you are highly mistaken.

User is offline   Postal 

No, clearly you forgot to read.
I thought Duke It Out was made by a modder.
Now i don't. I already am ordering it off Amazon.com

User is offline   TerminX 

• el fundador

At this point there is no way to legitimately purchase Duke it out in D.C. and have any of the money actually go to anyone who helped work on it, or even anyone who might be involved with the company. It's out of print and the company is gone. You aren't hurting anyone by downloading it.

If you want to buy it so that you have a cool box to look at or whatever, that's great, but this isn't the same at all as going and downloading something like Duke Nukem 3D itself, where every download instead of a legitimate sale is literally money out of the pockets of the developers who made it.

Duke it out in D.C. is a great add-on, as was Caribbean. There aren't all that many physical copies floating around anymore so it really seems more logical to me to make it available to as many people as possible who weren't around when it was still sold and would otherwise miss out on it.

User is offline   Jimmy 

• Let's go Brandon!

View PostTX, on May 10 2009, 10:01 PM, said:

At this point there is no way to legitimately purchase Duke it out in D.C. and have any of the money actually go to anyone who helped work on it, or even anyone who might be involved with the company. It's out of print and the company is gone. You aren't hurting anyone by downloading it.

If you want to buy it so that you have a cool box to look at or whatever, that's great, but this isn't the same at all as going and downloading something like Duke Nukem 3D itself, where every download instead of a legitimate sale is literally money out of the pockets of the developers who made it.

Duke it out in D.C. is a great add-on, as was Caribbean. There aren't all that many physical copies floating around anymore so it really seems more logical to me to make it available to as many people as possible who weren't around when it was still sold and would otherwise miss out on it.

I agree with this. All of the major duke add-ons except for Plutonium Pack/Atomic Edition are out of print and made by defunct companies.

Ive never played these addons, so does that mean I could download them now with out feeling guilty? ;)

I have Duke It Out in DC disc somewhere, took forever to finish those massive levels.

Edit: They could make them available for download, but due to the legalities of copyright and such, it gets complicated.
Although, it would be nice if it was freeware, but that's not gonna happen.

This post has been edited by The Dukenator: 11 May 2009 - 01:05 PM

User is offline   supergoofy 

Still there are copyright issues. These addons are no free. Do not post download links about them.

User is offline   NightFright 

• The Truth is in here

The problem is: There is no one to ask for regarding permission to upload/host it legally, and just downloading a pirated copy isn't legal, either. I am really glad I bought all the addons when I visited Washington D.C. back in 1999. DukeDC, Caribbean and Nuclear Winter are really hard to come by these days, and the only legal source there is right now is probably ebay.

User is offline   supergoofy 

Well, in the same way, now that 3D Realms is dead or it will die, we can download duke3d.grp without violating any laws. And also GOG should stop selling it.

Is this what you are saying?

Unless there is a clear view about the license/copyrights of Duke It Out in DC, Caribbean Vacation, Nuclear Winter, DukeZone 2 and the other commercial addons, we cannot share them freely.

Of course my beliefs are that old games that are 12years old or more should be freely distributed. It's very stupid (I don't know how to say it) for a company to make money from a very old DOS game. They already made the big money from it.

Personally I do have legit/original versions of the above addons. Duke3D was my favorite game at that time (back to 1996-97).

This post has been edited by supergoofy: 11 May 2009 - 11:44 AM

User is offline   Jimmy 

• Let's go Brandon!

3DRealms isn't dead. They just stopped doing work. Its still a company, just on paper. They will still actively have something to do with Duke, and continue the series through other companies. They will probably still be able to get money from Duke3D. These other companies, however, no longer SELL anything.

User is offline   Qbix 

• EDuke32 developer

View Postsupergoofy, on May 11 2009, 09:42 PM, said:

Unless there is a clear view about the license/copyrights of Duke It Out in DC, Caribbean Vacation, Nuclear Winter, DukeZone 2 and the other commercial addons, we cannot share them freely.

I only played the first 2. Got a lot of Duke fun left then!

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options