Duke4.net Forums: WG Realms 2 HRP (+ WGR 1/Beerzity Highres) - Duke4.net Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

WG Realms 2 HRP (+ WGR 1/Beerzity Highres)  "Ever wondered how WGR 2 could be in HD? Download this and find out."

Posted Image

After 2 or 3 months of editing, converting and adaptations i can finally publish this pack.

Like the mod itself it's obviously a mix of self made content and various communities material.

http://www.duke4.org.../wgr2_hrp20.zip (424 MB)

Further details in attached text files.

It also requires a more stable permanent host, just want to clean much of space-eating dust accumulated in the process knowing that the posted work will not be lost.

Stuff that need to be solved

There still a bunch of things to do, help or suggestion are welcome. To avoid entire reupload, future versions will be released as a update patch.

- Dead enemies keeps facing player

Practically the first issue you will notice. Since it was not expected by mod mechanics that the enemies had models, every dead or dismembered body (with few exceptions) rotate in front of you. Fix this would require a direct intervention on the .con.

- Maphacks

The known problem with most of objects faced in wrong way. Someone should navigate through levels for seek what is in mispositioning and consequently compiling maphacks.

- Decapitated demon soldier don't die beheaded

An headshotted demon soldier return "normal" when stop moving, it surely depends by the final death frame that is the same of the standard one. In sprite form it was fine just because you can't see his head at animation end but in model form the frames need to be assigned to two distinct deaths.

- Demonhorn firstperson

For some reason i have difficulty in put them in game, even the only implemented is barely in place and it use half-random lines that need to be corrected.

//DemonHorn Fist
model "HR/Models/Gauntlets_right.md3" {
scale 250
skin { pal 0 file "HR/Models/hud_gauntlets.png" }
frame { name "attack_5" tile 6745 }
frame { name "attack_5" tile 6746 }
frame { name "attack_14" tile 6747 }
frame { name "attack_14" tile 6748 }
hud { tile 6745 xadd -2.0 yadd 2.0 zadd -4.5 }
hud { tile 6746 xadd -2.0 yadd 2.0 zadd -4.5 }
hud { tile 6747 xadd -2.0 yadd 2.0 zadd -4.5 }
hud { tile 6748 xadd -2.0 yadd 2.0 zadd -4.5 }
}

There is also the Axe and Hammer firstpersons to coding for who want to try

Attached File  Axe-Hammer Demonhorn.zip (1.57MB)
Number of downloads: 223

This post has been edited by Fantinaikos: 18 January 2017 - 05:36 AM

User is offline   LeoD 

• Duke4.net topic/3513

View PostFantinaikos, on 15 November 2015 - 04:47 PM, said:

After 2 or 3 months of editing, converting and adaptations i can finally publish this pack.
Cool! Will check it out next week.

It also requires a more stable permanent host, just want to clean much of space-eating dust accumulated in the process knowing that the posted work will not be lost.
I recommend asking Terminx or Plagman for a Subversion repository for your project.

There still a bunch of things to do, help or suggestion are welcome.
You should change all directory/file names to lower case and remove space characters. Then adapt your DEFs accordingly. This will avoid issues for non-Windows users and improve future maintainability. In order to find unused or undefined files you can try the HRP's extract script if you're on *nix or have MSYS/MinGW installed.

The known problem with most of objects faced in wrong way. Someone should navigate through levels for seek what is in mispositioning and consequently compiling maphacks.
I can do that. Maybe not by the end of this year, but it will happen (unless this pack should turn out to be ... well, I don't think so). Maphacks for WGR1/Beerzity already exist in the current HRP. Or grab them from my UserMapHacks Pack to check if they're appropriate for your project (they should be).

I recommend asking Terminx or Plagman for a Subversion repository for your project.

I was thinking of something simpler like a sub-download on Fissile Material or alternately on official William Gee site. I should also contact Gee himself to resolve some incompatibilities with the project.

Maphacks for WGR1/Beerzity already exist in the current HRP. Or grab them from my UserMapHacks Pack to check if they're appropriate for your project (they should be).

I did that actually, infact I have taken from there and included into WGR1 folder. They work perfectly.

User is offline   Kyanos 

View PostFantinaikos, on 15 November 2015 - 06:09 PM, said:

I was thinking of something simpler like a sub-download on Fissile Material or alternately on official William Gee site. I should also contact Gee himself to resolve some incompatibilities with the project.

There is a svn set up, people are actively mapping for WGR. I'm downloading the pack. I once put together a High res pack also, I'll see if I have much to add to yours.

User is offline   Danukem 

• Duke Plus Developer

Now normally this would be the time to talk about how the levels were designed with certain sprites and textures and replacing them messes up the artist's vision...but I happen to know that William Gee himself distributed an HRP of WGR1 and was working on an HRP for WGR2, so clearly he isn't opposed to the idea.

However, I must ask: Do the hi-res textures and models actually look good? I have nothing against it in principle, but making an HRP would be pointless if the quality isn't there. We have models of most of the enemies in our svn, but we don't currently use them, because of issues with animations, skins not looking too hot, etc.

Would you mind posting a video or two?

PS: dead enemies "facing the player" is what happens when you start with a sprite based death animation that only contains one angle, so you don't bother coding it to work for cases in which more angles are available. How did they solve this for the regular Duke 3D HRP? Did it require editing GAME.CON? (if so, it is a trivial edit for anyone with rudimentary scripting knowledge).

User is offline   LeoD 

• Duke4.net topic/3513

View PostFantinaikos, on 15 November 2015 - 06:09 PM, said:

I was thinking of something simpler
If you can come up with a pack like this, it's really not to hard for you. And you'll soon recognise the benefits when you want to restore/inspect older versions of the contents.

View PostDrek, on 15 November 2015 - 06:30 PM, said:

There is a svn set up, people are actively mapping for WGR. I'm downloading the pack. I once put together a High res pack also, I'll see if I have much to add to yours.
I think a separate repo would be a better solution.

View PostTrooper Dan, on 15 November 2015 - 06:44 PM, said:

PS: dead enemies "facing the player" is what happens when you start with a sprite based death animation that only contains one angle, so you don't bother coding it to work for cases in which more angles are available. How did they solve this for the regular Duke 3D HRP? Did it require editing GAME.CON? (if so, it is a trivial edit for anyone with rudimentary scripting knowledge).
The HRP has no CONs. (That's why I personally do not consider it a mod, btw.)

This post has been edited by LeoD: 15 November 2015 - 07:05 PM

Sorry for the necropost. Download link is broken. Is there a SVN for this?

View Postenderandrew, on 16 January 2017 - 10:44 PM, said:

Sorry for the necropost. Download link is broken. Is there a SVN for this?

Unfortunately not but I've never stop working on it so I will upload the new version very soon, and it will work also with the KneeDeep expansion (If you don't know WGR1,WGR2 and KneeDeep are all included in the addon compilation, and as I said the pack is thought to work with this versions)

Probably it will work even on WGR3 when it comes out. But I have not heard any progress recently and the project it's a private thread anyway so.

However before doing an upload, there is someone (besides Drek) that can test n' correct eventual HRP packs imperfections?

This post has been edited by Fantinaikos: 17 January 2017 - 04:07 AM

User is online   NightFright 

• The Truth is in here

Gimme the file once you have it ready, I can host it on the HRP website. Free of charge (as usual)!

I announce that WG Realms 2 HRP 2.0 it's finally out, plus Nightfright has offered the support for a permanent host.

You can download the pack from the new link in the first post or by clicking directly on this: http://www.duke4.org.../wgr2_hrp20.zip

As always if you think to have a suggestion/solution for the described problems or you find other kind of issues, your help to improve this pack is welcome.

User is offline   Mark 

IIRC a while back you posted a smaller version of this pack. After looking at about 30 random textures I have the same thing to say now as I did back then.

Thanks very much for taking the massive amount of time to do this. However, quality varies so much from fantastic down to "embarassingly bad". Instead of installing the whole pack I will once again pick and choose the ones I need for my upcoming ( WGR3 ?? ) maps. A few dozen at least. They will be a welcome addition.

This post has been edited by Mark.: 18 January 2017 - 12:57 PM

However, quality varies so much from fantastic down to "embarassingly bad".

Need to be more specific about what you mean, those bad ones are some of the custom texture or models I made or the sensation of discrepancy between different HRP material by different authors with different skills? Even know what material looks bad would be useful. A little update was already planned anyway, if everything goes well.

Only find a model for the shotgun that resembled the sprite with the same crosshair style in sniper mode was a pain.

Instead of installing the whole pack I will once again pick and choose the ones I need for my upcoming ( WGR3 ?? ) maps.

The pack it's also updated to work with the latest DN3D HRP assets for avoid conflicts and glitches, so actually re-download everything would be recommended.

This post has been edited by Fantinaikos: 18 January 2017 - 01:34 PM

User is offline   Mark 

I don't have specific tile numbers right now but the bad ones look like someone just upsized and blurred the original and then applied a sharp filter over all or certain portions of the blur. Others have too much noise filter added. I can load them up in my graphics program in the next day or 2 and browse through them quickly and get you specific tile numbers.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options