Duke4.net Forums: So I got an R9 290 - Duke4.net Forums

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

So I got an R9 290

User is offline   Person of Color 

• Senior Unpaid Intern at Viceland

View PostPsychoGoatee, on 23 October 2015 - 08:26 AM, said:

How severely is that still the case with ATI cards nowadys? My brother's computer had a 7870, a pretty solid 2gb ATI card. He played some eDuke in polymost on there and to me it seemed fine. I should've tested it before he took it out I guess.

He just got a new card, a GTX 970, so I could pop in the 7870 to replace my 560 ti sometime. Lately other than some Killing Floor 2 which plays great, I just play lots of eduke and GZdoom. And I heard similar things about ATI cards having issues on GZDoom. Although again, he played it and I didn't notice anything problematic.

So, should I stick with my current card for a while if I'm playing mostly older games? And would a card like the 7870 really have poor performance in eduke? Maybe just in Polymer mode?

It depends on what you're playing. With my 6970 I had less issues in legacy software compared to my 770 but I haven't tried my 290 yet. EDuke was very jumpy on my 6970 though.

My advice is to try it. See how it is. A 7870 is a little faster that a GTX 580, so it's definitely a step up. Just use Display Driver Uninstaller before making the switch.

View PostDuke of Hazzard, on 23 October 2015 - 02:45 PM, said:

Polymer (and by extension the HRP) will never be relevant if you neglect AMD cards.

@Viper: My current Nvidias are stock Gigabytes and very quiet.

I agree. Intel cards are the most popular and AMD controls roughly 30% of the GPU market.

Also the Gigabyte Windforce cards are really nice. As a general rule of thumb, I try to avoid certain reference design cards. There's a price war at the top of the hill - Sometimes you get cards like the 290 or 680 that just suck cock, but OEM's need those magical cheap cards so they can fight it out.

This post has been edited by Person of Color: 25 October 2015 - 12:50 PM

Share this topic:

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options