Duke4.net Forums: So I got an R9 290 - Duke4.net Forums

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

So I got an R9 290

User is offline   Person of Color 

• Senior Unpaid Intern at Viceland

God damn this card kicks ass. I got the Asus DirectCU version with the sweet ass cooler for $220 open box at Micro Center! Gonna sell the GTX 770 and the whole upgrade will only set me back $40.

The Star Wars Battlefront beta runs fully maxed and rarely drops below 60fps.

This post has been edited by Person of Color: 12 October 2015 - 08:24 PM

User is offline   MusicallyInspired 

• The Sarien Encounter

How much you selling the 770 for?

User is offline   Mark 

220 - 40 =

• The Sarien Encounter

Downvote me, please.

It's a 4GB model. In the retail box. PM me if you want it.

User is offline   Inspector Lagomorf 

• Glory To Motherland!

Damnit.

You could've posted this a few days ago. I was in the market for a video card for a friend of mine. :) I had just bought them a 750 Ti. Solid card, but still...

I'd do a swap for my 960, but I think you'll probably be happier with your current card.

This post has been edited by Spastic Lagomorph: 14 October 2015 - 03:34 AM

• The Sarien Encounter

I don't have the money currently, as it turns out.

I haven't listed it on eBay yet.

I always liked the price point of AMD hardware, but there shitty drivers always bit me in the ass at some point; Whether I was working on there hardware, or playing on the hardware I could always bet on having some kind of driver abnormality I had to deal with. There cards simply just aren't worth it IMO.

This post has been edited by icecoldduke: 15 October 2015 - 04:28 PM

User is offline   Forge 

• Speaker of the Outhouse

icecoldduke, on 15 October 2015 - 04:27 PM, said:

I always liked the price point of AMD hardware, but there shitty drivers always bit me in the ass at some point; Whether I was working on there hardware, or playing on the hardware I could always bet on having some kind of driver abnormality I had to deal with. There cards simply just aren't worth it IMO.

:)
rant bait

this is a sale thread
there's another thread on here for this amd vs. nvidia stuff - it keeps the fan-boy and tech-nerd rages contained

This post has been edited by Forge: 15 October 2015 - 08:12 PM

icecoldduke, on 15 October 2015 - 04:27 PM, said:

My 770 had the worst drivers out of any card I've owned in the past ten years. Nothing truly major but lots of little rendering glitches and hitches in some things.

AMD sucks for professional OpenGL rendering but otherwise their drivers are superior these days. My 6970 had far better drivers than my 770...I never had to tweak jack shit with that card.

Forge, on 15 October 2015 - 08:07 PM, said:

:)
rant bait

this is a sale thread
there's another thread on here for this amd vs. nvidia stuff - it keeps the fan-boy and tech-nerd rages contained

Not really

If someone ends up PMing me before it sells on eBay then whatever.

User is offline   Forge 

Person of Color, on 15 October 2015 - 09:59 PM, said:

Not really

If someone ends up PMing me before it sells on eBay then whatever.

So then the point was to brag about getting a good deal on an expensive card with shitty drivers

Shitty drivers or poorly programmed Polymer OpenGL code?

This post has been edited by Person of Color: 18 October 2015 - 05:24 PM

User is offline   Forge 

it was a joke, but on a related note:
Shitty drivers.
updating the wife's lenovo laptop display adapter with the driver downloaded directly from the AMD site causes the thing to BSOD and crash

This post has been edited by Forge: 18 October 2015 - 06:36 PM

Forge, on 18 October 2015 - 06:34 PM, said:

it was a joke, but on a related note:
Shitty drivers.
updating the wife's lenovo laptop display adapter with the driver downloaded directly from the AMD site causes the thing to BSOD and crash

I know it was a joke. I'm still ragging on the fact that eDuke is still shit on two of the three GPU brands out there. What card does your waifu have?

This post has been edited by Person of Color: 18 October 2015 - 08:03 PM

On a related note...Did I mention how awesome this thing is? Dear God did it run the Battlefront beta well! And UT is a dream on this thing. Gonna OC it soon, the Asus model is totally built for it.

User is offline   Forge 

Person of Color, on 18 October 2015 - 07:59 PM, said:

What card does your waifu have?

R6

i'm too lazy to go to the other side of the house and get the details about the card or laptop

• Glory To Motherland!

For all the cock-riding that people do for NVIDIA, myself included, if you're not buying a top-of-the-line card of theirs, the only two consumer cards they have worth owning based on price are the GTX 960 and the 750 Ti.

Everything else is fucking overpriced.

User is offline   Forge 

Lenovo Z50-75 AMD A10-7300
can't get much on her video adapter other than it's an R6 - she doesn't let me dink around on her comp so i don't know if it's a R6 M255DX with a dedicated R5 M230

probably needs a BIOS upgrade to resolve the issue

This post has been edited by Forge: 19 October 2015 - 09:22 AM

Spastic Lagomorph, on 19 October 2015 - 07:49 AM, said:

For all the cock-riding that people do for NVIDIA, myself included, if you're not buying a top-of-the-line card of theirs, the only two consumer cards they have worth owning based on price are the GTX 960 and the 750 Ti.

Everything else is fucking overpriced.

Not really, the R9 380 is the same price as the 960 and it's substantially faster. It's also based off GCN 1.2 so it has delta color compression like the 960...what that means is you get a fuckton of memory bandwidth from a narrow bus. So the 256-bit bus on the 380 is actually faster than the 320-bit bus on the old 280X. And the 128-bit bus on the 960 keeps on sucking dick regardless. The 290/390 series lack this feature.

I've built a rig with a 960 before. Good card but the AA performance is lacking. Totally chokes on a Somali immigrant cock when it's enabled due to the shitty bus. It's unfortunate because until you start playing with AA the performance is pretty damn good!

Forge, on 19 October 2015 - 09:22 AM, said:

Lenovo Z50-75 AMD A10-7300
can't get much on her video adapter other than it's an R6 - she doesn't let me dink around on her comp so i don't know if it's a R6 M255DX with a dedicated R5 M230

probably needs a BIOS upgrade to resolve the issue

>Switchable graphics

I'll take shit that never works right for a thousand, Alex.

This post has been edited by Person of Color: 19 October 2015 - 11:40 PM

User is offline   Forge 

can't disagree with that. at least it's not used for gaming, it's more of an office / printshop comp than anything. The adapter works well enough, until i try to upgrade to the latest driver.

i hate using 'manufacturer's' drivers, but i might try the driver off the lenovo site after a bios update.

if that don't work, the thing can sit there with extremely outdated drivers that at least function. Should be fine unless wifey wants to install something that causes rendering issues (not likely).

edit: bios update then the lenovo site driver appears to have resolved the bsod / reboot loop

This post has been edited by Forge: 20 October 2015 - 06:14 AM

I'm still ragging on the fact that eDuke is still shit on two of the three GPU brands out there.

C'mon Plagman. Help these Radeon folks out! :-/

Advantage of AMD is less frequent driver updates, but Nvidia seems better supported IMO. My recent cards are all Nvidia, quieter and more economical. My old AMD was so loud at load it sounded like a mini turbine.

The fan noise really depends on the cooler more than the GPU vendor. I got Coraline a GTX 680 half a year ago on clearance at Micro Center for $160 and that included a fucking two year replacement plan! It was a Zotac model with the reference cooler. It had the worst factory paste job I had ever seen - the card would throttle after extended use. You could see the mirror finish of the core. Even after re-pasting with Arctic Silver Ceramique 2, it was still a very loud card and made a ton of heat. I would be sweating balls after an hour of gameplay - literally. I mean, my nuts were drenched. The Asus DirectCU II 770 I owned was a fucking mini fridge by comparison - and the 770 is the same exact chip, just rebranded with a 10% clock rate boost.

As far as the silicon goes, Radeons generate more heat, but in AMD's defense their silicon is waaaayyyy more flexible and excels at GPGPU stuff and adds some nice audio processing features. Nvidia has better tessellation performance, but that's it. I'd rather mitigate extra heat generation than sacrifice features.

My Asus DirectCU II is waaaaayyyy colder and quieter than a stock R9 290. Now don't get me wrong, this thing has low core temps but it throws of a lot of ambient heat - I had to upgrade my rear case fan, but now my system is ice cold again and it's actually quieter. I was literally dripping sweat after two hours of UT before I changed out that shitty cheap ass Kingwin fan - but that 680 was still twice as bad. My balls weren't drowning to death.

I should start using that as a metric. Like how Cartman talks about poop consistency in his Yelp reviews.

This post has been edited by Person of Color: 22 October 2015 - 10:34 PM

User is offline   Mark 

Sounds to me like you need to buy a box of panty liners for your ball sweat. :)

I finally gave in to the upgrade urge. I was going to wait until I bought a new system next year but someone talked me into it. I have been suffering with an old Nvidia 9800 GTX+ Tomorrow my Nvidia 750Ti-GS should arrive. It draws only half the power of my old card which means no power supply upgrade which was one of the things holding me back.

• Glory To Motherland!

The 750Ti is a nice card and a worthwhile upgrade to the 9800 - not top-tier but still will run most things you throw at it.

I know it was a joke. I'm still ragging on the fact that eDuke is still shit on two of the three GPU brands out there. What card does your waifu have?

How severely is that still the case with ATI cards nowadys? My brother's computer had a 7870, a pretty solid 2gb ATI card. He played some eDuke in polymost on there and to me it seemed fine. I should've tested it before he took it out I guess.

He just got a new card, a GTX 970, so I could pop in the 7870 to replace my 560 ti sometime. Lately other than some Killing Floor 2 which plays great, I just play lots of eduke and GZdoom. And I heard similar things about ATI cards having issues on GZDoom. Although again, he played it and I didn't notice anything problematic.

So, should I stick with my current card for a while if I'm playing mostly older games? And would a card like the 7870 really have poor performance in eduke? Maybe just in Polymer mode?

This post has been edited by PsychoGoatee: 23 October 2015 - 08:28 AM

Polymer (and by extension the HRP) will never be relevant if you neglect AMD cards.

@Viper: My current Nvidias are stock Gigabytes and very quiet.

• The Sarien Encounter

PsychoGoatee, on 23 October 2015 - 08:26 AM, said:

So, should I stick with my current card for a while if I'm playing mostly older games? And would a card like the 7870 really have poor performance in eduke? Maybe just in Polymer mode?

That's the key. ATI drivers don't play nice with Polymer specifically. That's what they're talking about.

Share this topic:

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options