Duke4.net Forums: [Release] Electric Highways - Duke4.net Forums

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

[Release] Electric Highways  "A surreal game about virtual reality"

User is online   zykov eddy 

Posted Image

Now available on steam!

Hey guys. Just finished another EDuke 32 project, hope you'll enjoy it. It took me many days to finish this thing and I'm deadly tired.

Download
Mirror

The year is 2072. Virtual reality has become a worldwide phenomenon, allowing people to sink into the virtual web, while experiencing isolation in real life. A VR engineer has finished his virtual reality project, but before uploading it on the web, he decides to visit it for the last time, plunging deeper into his own surreal world.

Electric Highways is a game that's all about experience. Everything in this game, especially visuals and music, has been created for the purpose of giving the player a certain kind of emotion. The setting takes place in a surreal, virtual world, made out of abstract 3d graphics, where the player must explore ten levels, each with an individual theme.

The atmosphere of the game has been inspired by early 80's electronic music (including such examples as Gary Numan and Depeche Mode), System Shock and the 1984 version of the film Metropolis. In some ways, the game is like an interactive conceptual music album, where each level is like a short song. The project features a 100% original soundtrack inspired by classic electronic music.

Controls:

• WASD - Move
  • Mouse - Look
  • E - Use
  • Space - Jump
  • Esc - Quit

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

This post has been edited by zykov eddy: 28 October 2015 - 11:04 AM

User is offline   Hendricks266 

• Weaponized Autism

Visually impressive!

User is offline   Daedolon 

• Ancient Blood God

Very cool to see a new release from you again! Will play through this during the weekend and post comments when I do.

User is offline   Micky C 

• Honored Donor

I beta tested a virtually-complete version of this (no pun intended, well maybe a bit), and it's unique and interesting. For those trying it out I urge you NOT to expect any kind of fancy gameplay, merely an experience/impression as you move through the environment and complete simple tasks/objectives.

What I forgot to mention in the beta feedback was how Impressed I was with certain effects, such as the door bouncing in the trailer. Note again I urge people not to go in with high expectations of fancy individual effects, but rather lots of small things that add together for the experience.

It's probably not something I'll play again, at least not for a long time, but it's certainly left more of an impression on me than a large proportion of AAA titles these days.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

User is offline   Loke 

I liked all of the levels but those that stood out for me were Crawling Time because of its awesome hand drawn textures and Metroland (great soundtrack). I wouldn't mind seeing a full-blown mod utilizing hand drawn textures like that, such a cool concept. Spacelab Telekon was also neat because it reminded me of System Shock.

Only found 3 of those light orbs though. Time to explore.

User is offline   Rhaisher 

An awesome audio-visual spectacle. I managed to find two three of those light orbs, but I guessed (via trial and error) their placement order to open the door in the highway level. All in all it was a great experience with some philosophical bits here and there. I'd like it if you explain your... 'idea' behind the project at some point in the future (whenever you consider it right. I guess you want the players to draw their own conclusions first).

It's curious how with the right visuals and sounds you can create all sort of atmospheres. Some of them gave me chills. Excelent work! :D

Edit: I found three of those light orbs, but I didn't realize the first one was one of them until I played the game again. :D

This post has been edited by RhaiNuk'Em: 05 September 2015 - 07:24 AM

User is offline   MusicallyInspired 

• The Sarien Encounter

Been anxious to try this!

• The Sarien Encounter

Gah! How do I enable mouse look invert? Is there a console command for that?

User is offline   Loke 

View PostMusicallyInspired, on 05 September 2015 - 08:53 PM, said:

Gah! How do I enable mouse look invert? Is there a console command for that?

Yeah, open up the console and type in_mouseflip 0. You can also add in_mouseflip "0" into the settings.cfg file.

EH made it to the front pages of itch.io and gamejolt.

Trying to promote it on Desura and Indie DB, though I'm not sure, since these sites not doing so well currently.

Also, soundtrack album coming soon.

This post has been edited by zykov eddy: 07 September 2015 - 09:54 AM

User is offline   MetHy 

Felt like I was "playing a music video clip".

User is online   Jblade 

I know this is a really minor thing but the water texture (3958) you used is one I made for the original IW, I don't mind you using it but a little credit would be nice.

• The Sarien Encounter

Beat it. That was a bizarre and creepy experience, but it definitely was interesting. Not sure I understood the outcome, though.

I found all but the 3rd orb. I also got glitch area. However, I had to go through each combination of colours one at a time. Took me about 15 minutes until I found the right one. I assume the colours correspond to what they look like when you find them throughout the previous levels, but I didn't remember them at all.

View PostJblade, on 07 September 2015 - 10:55 AM, said:

I know this is a really minor thing but the water texture (3958) you used is one I made for the original IW, I don't mind you using it but a little credit would be nice.

Really sorry, I just found it on my hard drive (along with other animated stuff), not remembering where I found it in the first place. Gonna credit you as soon as possible

User is online   Jblade 

View Postzykov eddy, on 07 September 2015 - 11:28 AM, said:

Really sorry, I just found it on my hard drive (along with other animated stuff), not remembering where I found it in the first place. Gonna credit you as soon as possible

no worries, I appreciate it there's no mad rush or anything. The game is good anyways, you definitely put skyboxes to good use and the visual themes are really interesting.

This post has been edited by Jblade: 07 September 2015 - 11:54 AM

Had the chance to check this out, and it was a fantastic experience! I already liked your other exploration-based maps, and this was a fine followup in that same vein. I applaud your success at being able to achieve varied tones and atmospheres between levels.

I was able to unlock the secret area in the final map as well, although I must admit, unless I missed some critical clue, it seemed somewhat underwhelming for the amount of effort needed to unlock it.

Thanks for feedback guys!

You all just witnessed a birth of first interactive 3D music album in history... I think.
Damn, I feel the need to write down a list of things that inspired me to do this. There's a lot of direct references to album covers, music videos, song lyrics, System Shock...

This post has been edited by zykov eddy: 07 September 2015 - 12:09 PM

New version released. It fixes some of the bugs, removes confusing moments and makes graphics look less painful for the eyes (some people complained about the game making their eyes hurt). I also replaced copyrighted textures with original content, but kept textures from abandonware games.

This post has been edited by zykov eddy: 11 September 2015 - 01:27 PM

Soundtrack released. Check it out on soundcloud.

Posted Image

This post has been edited by zykov eddy: 12 September 2015 - 07:20 AM

User is offline   mxrtxn 

Eddy, this is amazing

By the way do you plan to make a bigger version of your Yume Nikki 3D??

Thanks

User is offline   Fox 

• Fraka kaka kaka kaka-kow!

View Postzykov eddy, on 05 September 2015 - 04:17 AM, said:

Posted Image

If you defined white brushstrokes as the glowmaps, it shall give the shadow a cartoony feel.

View PostFox, on 22 September 2015 - 11:44 AM, said:

If you defined white brushstrokes as the glowmaps, it shall give the shadow a cartoony feel.

Can you explain your idea a little bit more? I mean, what is white brushstrokes exactly here?

User is offline   Fox 

• Fraka kaka kaka kaka-kow!

Nevermind.

User is offline   Daedolon 

• Ancient Blood God

I would suggest adding the soundtrack to Bandcamp for easier access, you could also have a "pay what you want" option there.

Also damn, I've completely forgotten to play this, been a bit busy with stuff. Gonna play this soon.

View PostDaedolon, on 23 September 2015 - 02:51 AM, said:

I would suggest adding the soundtrack to Bandcamp for easier access, you could also have a "pay what you want" option there.

Also damn, I've completely forgotten to play this, been a bit busy with stuff. Gonna play this soon.

We're planning to sell soundtrack album once the game makes it to steam.

User is offline   Micky C 

• Honored Donor

Do you know how far off you are from getting greenlit? The FAQ page seemed to indicate there's no exact number of votes you need which isn't very helpful.

User is offline   Lunick 

A project I saw on Steam (that got removed for its controversial name) took around 450 votes to get Greenlit so who knows how much it is lately.

Added a menu to the game, with an aim invert option. Now it looks much better, I think.
Also, more secret locations and graphic polishes.

Uploaded new version everywhere.

Posted Image

This post has been edited by zykov eddy: 25 September 2015 - 07:18 AM

User is offline   Jenz/Amaka 

Reminds me of Antichamber but much less puzzles. I liked it and I especially liked Metroland and the horror map a lot.

Share this topic:

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options