• « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Ion Fury  "formerly Ion Maiden, launching August 15!"

I just set the health and radar on my mouse side buttons, makes things simple

View PostTruck Stop Santa Claus, on 25 June 2020 - 02:17 PM, said:

I just set the health and radar on my mouse side buttons, makes things simple

F and G for me. My mind associates F with healing, probably because i played Dark Souls with k+m multiple times, and F was my "chug estus" key :)

This post has been edited by Lazy Dog: 25 June 2020 - 04:34 PM

User is offline   Micky C 

• Honored Donor

I've just tried out the latest beta update. It plays very smooth!

One suggestion: enemies shouldn't be able to move outside the vertical firing range of the player. What I mean is that if the player is, for example, on a platform high above an enemy, the player can only look down to a certain angle, yet the enemies will move right up to the platform such that the player can't see or shoot them. Perhaps the enemies should be given the same vertical firing range as the player, such that they will try to maintain some distance if there's a big height difference?

User is offline   MrFlibble 

So I beat USS Framerate on my second try and went on through the train level. To be honest, I was afraid it would be a boring one (I know there's the Blood train level but I never really played Blood) so I was pleasantly surprised it was quite fun.

After that I decided to give the campaign start another go and try to figure out more secrets (somehow I got much better at secret-hunting in Zone 3 compared to the previous two).

So I got here:
Spoiler

I have to say I was surprised myself that I managed to figure this one out, although I kept in mind that design principle by Tom Hall that says if the player can see an item, there must be a way to get it. I made several saved games as a was progressing towards it, because I was not sure if I was actually supposed to be there and do what I was doing (caution, might act as a spoiler):
Spoiler

Oh and by the way, where do I get the updates? Do I have to install GOG Galaxy and update from there?

This post has been edited by MrFlibble: 27 June 2020 - 12:01 PM

User is offline   cybdmn 

View PostMrFlibble, on 27 June 2020 - 12:00 PM, said:

So I got here:
Spoiler

Is this the origami unicorn from Blade Runner? Great idea.

As I've already said elsewhere, I'm definitely enjoying the first chapter on the second run a lot more than during the first playing. Secrets hunting is tremendous fun, although I cannot but notice that getting to secret areas rather often involves making those odd "round the corner" jumps, which feel somewhat unusual against the backdrop of the other Build games.

On the other hand, destructible walls marked by cracks seem pretty rare compared to Duke3D, I've only run across like two in the first three chapters. Also, even though there are occasional manholes, none of them could be opened Duke style, and I'm starting to suspect that there are none which are not decorations in this game.

I take some of my words about the AI back. I had more opportunities to observe the guys and they definitely try to work smart, e.g. take cover from the player's fire, but that does not save them from getting hopelessly stuck in corners and the like.

I had this little idea concerning the secrets: I noticed that often they contain "uninteresting" items like the portable medikit or not-so-rare ammo types (probably more useful on highest difficulty, because on UV there is no dearth of regular health items in the levels, or ammo for that matter), and after a few good secrets you get the full arsenal sans the minigun long before the more advanced weapons appear in the campaign if you skip secret areas.

So I thought (partially inspired by Civvie's video on Aliens: Colonial Marines of all things), what if some secrets actually contained secret weapons that would be references to other FPS games? These weapons could use their own ammo pool, with ammo equally being found in secrets only, and rare. E.g. a double-barrelled shotgun a la Doom and/or Blood, and a flamethrower from Powerslave would be at least interesting. Rocket launcher/RPG? This was requested as a regular weapon IIRC. I'm not sure about magical items like the Cobra Staff, or straight copies of "gimmick" weapons like the Shrinker.

Alternately (or additionally), secrets could have weapon upgrades for regular weapons, and/or alternate ammo in the style of Duke64. Not sure if this would work well with the existing weapon balance though.

nice to hear
I'm just waiting on Spymap's next map

also I know coop isn't going to happen
but if we could get MP in Queen of the hill mode, that would be hype

User is offline   Mblackwell 

• Evil Overlord

Many a secret hunt may be aided by a chair.

Alright. I think I finally managed to get to an area I wasn't supposed to reach:
Attached File  capt0037.png (501.55K)
Number of downloads: 53

User is offline   Fauch 

I got ion fury with wrath on sale a few weeks ago. only played the 1st level on each so far, to check how it runs on my toaster (surprisingly better than many retro fps). Good first impression, wonder if ion fury could become one of my favorites. I found the secret with the origami, but I don't know where it says how many secrets I missed.

User is offline   necroslut 

View PostFauch, on 20 July 2020 - 11:00 AM, said:

I got ion fury with wrath on sale a few weeks ago. only played the 1st level on each so far, to check how it runs on my toaster (surprisingly better than many retro fps). Good first impression, wonder if ion fury could become one of my favorites.

I don't know why that would be surprising. Most retro-FPshooters, despite looking "old", run on modern engines and aren't built in old-school ways. Ion Fury is.

I found the secret with the origami, but I don't know where it says how many secrets I missed.

It will tell you as you are about to leave the "level", before passing a point-of-no-return.

User is offline   Micky C 

• Honored Donor

While that’s true, Ion Fury pushes the engine pretty hard, with a high level of detail and other fancy features. An engine that was built from the ground-up today for a similar look would probably fare much better.

Of course, that’s not the same as “dumbing down” the graphics on new engines designed for far more complex graphics, so it’s difficult to compare.

User is offline   Fauch 

I heard some reviewers saying the performances were not that good. After project warlock running at 5 to 30 fps, amid evil being a litteral slideshow or ultrakill at 30 fps, I was worried, but it was mostly around 60 fps.

I reached a loading time, but didn't notice something about secrets, though I could still come back, so maybe it wasn't the end of the level. I'll look better next time.

User is online   Phredreeke 

The Build Engine is CPU-heavy, an area that the current gen consoles are lacking in (ranging from 1.05GHz Cortex-A57 cores in the Switch to 2.3GHz Jaguar cores in the Xbox One X)

User is offline   Fauch 

it's more my GPU which is useless.

User is offline   necroslut 

View PostMicky C, on 21 July 2020 - 05:52 PM, said:

While that’s true, Ion Fury pushes the engine pretty hard, with a high level of detail and other fancy features. An engine that was built from the ground-up today for a similar look would probably fare much better.

Of course, that’s not the same as “dumbing down” the graphics on new engines designed for far more complex graphics, so it’s difficult to compare.

Yes, obviously; what I meant was more that a lot (most) retro games (not just FPShooters) are built in very inefficient and roundabout ways, making the computer have to work a lot harder than it should have doing things that end up not showing.
The engines used by other retro shooters generally aren't built from the ground up, but are optimized for very different kinds of games/aesthetics.

This post has been edited by necroslut: 22 July 2020 - 04:31 PM

User is offline   Fauch 

When I started working on unity, I thought I could make like large Doom style maps with little consideration for performance, after all at a time when we have huge photorealistic open worlds, there should be no problem, and I suppose you could get away with it on a good computer, but not really on a toaster, you end up with something running at 15 fps even though it looks simple.

User is offline   Hank 

Posted Image

from Taiga-024
https://twitter.com/UnitTAIGA024

nice
very mid 90's cg

User is offline   Mr. Tibbs 

I haven't seen this mentioned here, but the official Voidpoint Twitter offered this awesome tease of their upcoming projects via a snapshot of their private Discord server:

Posted Image

Please let there be a rocket launcher

As usual I'm not good at getting references, can someone please tell what the locked room with the pink glass window and Japanese sign in Cultural Divide is supposed to refer to? There's also some music audible in the background if you turn off the level music.

View PostMrFlibble, on 20 July 2020 - 10:47 AM, said:

Alright. I think I finally managed to get to an area I wasn't supposed to reach:
Attachment capt0037.png

I revisited this area (it's actually very easy to get there) and there really seems no way out.

Maybe the devs would add a means for the player to get back into the level (e.g. a palettised ladder that blends in with the wall texture, like in some other secrets), and a message along the lines of You're not supposed to be here or How did you get here? from Duke3D?

Also on Cultural Divide, I wanted to point out this little area:
Attached File  plate.png (265.94K)
Number of downloads: 28
For a while it seemed to me that the white object was a medikit, but now I'm almost certain that this is just a plate sprite, rather common in this level, and the area is not supposed to be reached by the player either.

JIC, I'm missing two secrets in this level still, but would not like to resort to walkthroughs to find them, so I'm not 100% certain on either location that they are unreachable.

User is offline   Morgаn 

Is there a way to change crosshair and remove incendiary bullets for SMG? Those two thing is really bothering me, it's just feels... wrong. No luck digging CON files without actual tips so far.

making a new crosshair should be easy

User is offline   Hank 

Another excellent weapon for Ion Fury, by YijArt :)
Posted Image

download link below
https://www.indiedb....dons/ion-ingram

User is offline   Hank 

I wish I could edit my posts ... got another update from YijArt
btw I messed up as I was using the public test build and gave no thought to the default game. It's been fixed now.

If running normal Ion Fury (1.02a) then you don’t need to do anything. If running the public test build (1.1 at the time of writing) you’ll need to navigate to the Ion Fury\scripts folder, either delete or change weapons.con to something else, and rename weapons(publicbeta).con to weapons.con.

To make a long story short, just re-download the file, if you have a problem.

This post has been edited by Hank: 07 August 2020 - 04:48 PM

No worries!

BTW, why doesn't the cultist on the right on the screenshot above have a shadow?

yeah
that kinda has me worried about the next build

Today I reinstalled my NVIDIA driver and apparently, somehow this broke the GOG version's OpenGL mode.

I get no video at all, although it runs as usual in software mode, and I can still play in OpenGL via the SVN release of EDuke32.

Ion Fury was not on the list of programmes in the NVIDIA Control Panel settings, but adding it does not solve the problem, either with integrated video card or NVIDIA GPU set to run it. Probably this will get resolved by deleting some settings and/or reinstalling the whole deal, but I still thought that it was worth mentioning.

UPD: I deleted all texture cache and stuff, but to no effect. I can start the game in software mode and then switch to OpenGL in-game, but once I restart it's all over. Very odd, because IF does detect the NVIDIA card, according to the log.

UPD2: Deleting all cache and cfg files from my user directory solved the problem.

This post has been edited by MrFlibble: 10 August 2020 - 06:39 AM

Share this topic:

• 136 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options