Duke4.net Forums: Ion Fury - Duke4.net Forums

• 133 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Ion Fury  "formerly Ion Maiden, launching August 15!"

User is online   Aleks 

All this discussion here made me wanna replay Ion Fury with that knowledge and see if I can spot some actually significant differences in each mapper's style. I played it right when it came like a year ago and haven't really replayed since, so it's all a bit blurry for me right now (had to do some mind gymnastics to actually remember which level was z4a4 for example). Also having refreshed my experience with Mapster after long years of practically not using it, I'll appreciate all these little effects more I suppose (not that I haven't so far - jukebox was actually one of the more memorable details).

BTW, MetHy = MetHunter? https://forums.duke4.net/public/style_emoticons/default/ohmy.gif I remember long time ago when he didn't touch Build/Mapster at all (but was damn good at dukematches in early DukesterX times) - now that's some suprise he turned pro!

User is offline   MrFlibble 

View Postoasiz, on 14 September 2020 - 12:41 PM, said:

This is not to say that I had to really fix other mappers work or anything as they do excellent work and easily surpass mine in areas, it was more about getting more cool shit in and perhaps spot any inconsistencies and to help with filling any gaps.

I think that's rather close to the role of a publication editor in that it is aimed at making individual parts into a consistent whole.

View PostMetHy, on 15 September 2020 - 12:32 AM, said:

In order to get a good idea of the before/after one could look at very early development screenshots that were shared on social media, there is at least one screenshot of each of the early versions of the two outdoor areas I mentionned (I'm thinking of the screenshot with the waterfall and the one with the red truck in the background specifically) and maybe more.

I've had a lot of trouble catching up with the pre-release screenshots, would be nice if they were collected in a single place somewhere because I think some early shots are buried in several threads here, and as for stuff like Twitter I have no idea how to successfully find something there at all.

View PostAleks, on 15 September 2020 - 02:46 AM, said:

see if I can spot some actually significant differences in each mapper's style

I think the style change from Z1+2 to Z3 is very strongly felt no mater how you play this.

User is online   Aleks 

View PostMrFlibble, on 15 September 2020 - 03:53 AM, said:

I think the style change from Z1+2 to Z3 is very strongly felt no mater how you play this.

The theme was changing a lot during the campaign, but dunno about the style. Actually transition between Z2 and Z3 felt quite smooth to me - in fact now that I think of it, first level of Z2 with military base had a larger style change feeling to me to Z1 levels despite that both are made by Davox. Heskel's house level also seemed strongly different in style than the rest of the game, but that might be due to more unique theme.

In general, I think it's a lot better when the game follows a single, consistent and hardly distinguishable style pattern between many mappers. But I've felt the same for Duke 3D - I could never tell which maps were made by Blum or Levelord without checking and only started noticing their "style" when I've really given it some thought.

View PostAleks, on 16 September 2020 - 07:09 AM, said:

The theme was changing a lot during the campaign, but dunno about the style. Actually transition between Z2 and Z3 felt quite smooth to me - in fact now that I think of it, first level of Z2 with military base had a larger style change feeling to me to Z1 levels despite that both are made by Davox.

I can only speak for myself, but I had a very strong feeling that Z3 is a lot closer to the Duke3D style of mapping (and consequently, gameplay dynamics) than the previous levels. Also Davox seems to be very fond of secrets where you need to make those directional jumps around corners, as well as of large, sprawling areas.

I've got a couple of general questions about gameplay mechanics. First off, the bowling bomb. In the primary fire mode, if used without any delay, they seem to not home on enemies at all, unlike the preview campaign (IIRC), and only explode on direct contact. If a bomb thrown with a delay, it tracks enemies and will home in on them even around corners when they're not seen by the player. But what does the time of the delay affect? Does it make homing more reliable, or simply affects the distance at which the bomb is thrown, or both?

The second question is about jumping. Here's an area in D.C. Meltdown:
Attached File  capt0017.png (231.66K)
Number of downloads: 10
If I simply jump via space I cannot get to the floor above me. But if I jump and then hit crouch -- as if I wanted to land on top of the blue drawers -- I somehow get to the above floor. Is there some kind of (reverse) crouch-jump or something that I'm not aware of? I don't remember having this issue in the preview campaign, IIRC I could jump there without pressing anything expect space. But I'm not sure.

Also I discovered that in Alphabet Soup, it is possible to climb the orange pillars at the entrance, even though I believe the player is not supposed to do that (e.g. D.C. Meltdown has several much less steeply inclined pillars but you can't climb them.
Attached File  capt0021.png (297.33K)
Number of downloads: 21

User is offline   jkas789 

View PostMrFlibble, on 21 September 2020 - 08:29 AM, said:

If I simply jump via space I cannot get to the floor above me. But if I jump and then hit crouch -- as if I wanted to land on top of the blue drawers -- I somehow get to the above floor. Is there some kind of (reverse) crouch-jump or something that I'm not aware of? I don't remember having this issue in the preview campaign, IIRC I could jump there without pressing anything expect space. But I'm not sure.

I believe that is a bug that was there from the start and was kept because speedrunners where using it? Also it apparently was buffed. Here is what I have gathered from the Ion Fury channel on the 3D Realms Discord:

• "keep in mind that the height Shelly crouch jumps at is a little higher in later versions of the game than it was early on. When the game first came out, some of those secrets required jumping off chairs or enemies to reach, but crouch jumping was buffed shortly after launch so some secrets are a little easier to get that way now."

• "fun fact: the height Shelly crouch jumps at was actually changed by accident. I don't know what changes actually caused it but basically collision was really messed up in version 1.02."

• "the collision glitches were fixed in 1.1 but they kept the height she crouch jumps at, so some jumps are easier to make now than they were in 1.0"

• In version 1.02, there was a huge problem with sprite collision. You could walk into a sprite and it would do all sorts of crazy things. For example, the wall to your left at the very start of the game would be very glitchy if you walked into it. It was crazy. But 1.1 overhauled the way sprite collision works so they're way more stable now. The downside is that it made some crouch jumps a little harder, but overall, I like the way it feels now the best.

EDIT: I don't know if any of this is actually true, so we will have to wait and see if any of the devs confirms/denies it.

This post has been edited by jkas789: 21 September 2020 - 09:21 AM

The odd thing is that crouch jumping does not work like I'd expect it -- first crouch, then jump higher (e.g. like the Predator jumps in Aliens versus Predator 2). I wouldn't discover this had I not actually tried to crouch under the ceiling to get atop of the blue drawer.

BTW, also in D.C. Meltdown, that hidden-in-plain-sight secret with the medipack, I can't get ahold of making that jump around the pillar. It takes about half a dozen tries to get it right, as I either don't jump high enough or overjump the green platform and fall off. Am I doing this wrong or is it really that awkward?

We need to start compiling an IF FAQ :)

This post has been edited by MrFlibble: 21 September 2020 - 11:52 AM

User is offline   Hank 

I think this is work in progress, for Ion Fury 2 ...
https://i.imgur.com/KirAmZG.jpg
from
https://twitter.com/...482806533140481

This post has been edited by Hank: 22 September 2020 - 06:33 PM

User is offline   cybdmn 

View PostHank, on 22 September 2020 - 06:32 PM, said:

I think this is work in progress, for Ion Fury 2 ...

Nope. As you can see in the twitter post its work in progress for Supplice, a Doom megawad in the works for some years now. What it shares with Ion Fury is that textures and sprites are made by Cage.

User is offline   Hank 

All I read is Davox’s comments "Ion Fury Artist". Never heard of Supplice.
Oh, well, I ain’t on Twitter nor Discord, to ask them first, my apologies for jumping the gun. :(

This post has been edited by Hank: 23 September 2020 - 06:22 AM

User is offline   Player Lin 

View Postcybdmn, on 22 September 2020 - 09:04 PM, said:

Nope. As you can see in the twitter post its work in progress for Supplice, a Doom megawad in the works for some years now. What it shares with Ion Fury is that textures and sprites are made by Cage.

For those who don't know about Supplice. https://forum.zdoom....hp?f=19&t=34856

BTW, Cage said the project will become a standalone game.

This post has been edited by Player Lin: 23 September 2020 - 07:21 AM

View PostPlayer Lin, on 23 September 2020 - 07:21 AM, said:

AW YISS

So hidden Easter eggs do not count as secret areas, or did I get this wrong?

Also, where can I find the official names for the enemies?
Attached File  blake-stone-help.png (15.11K)
Number of downloads: 29
I'm kinda missing this sort of feature in the game (yeah I know no Build engine game has it but still).

User is offline   oasiz 

• Dr. Effector

Enemy names are something you can ask each dev and get a different answer.

User is offline   necroslut 

View PostMrFlibble, on 25 September 2020 - 10:03 AM, said:

I'm kinda missing this sort of feature in the game (yeah I know no Build engine game has it but still).

Ion Maiden at least has the help screen -- that's already more than most these days. I'm constantly baffled by how many indie game ship without any kind of documentation whatsoever, not even a readme.txt.

Some basic documentation really requires so little effort -- much less than a tutorial or hint system -- and can often be more useful. Say if you put a game down for a while and pick it up again six months later, you might have forgotten how to do some moves or even that you can. Replaying the tutorial takes relatively long time, and a lot of times will even overwrite your save and stuff like that, while glancing over a help screen or readme often only takes a couple of seconds.
And that doesn't even cover all the other stuff you can put in there, like system requirements/tech specs, credits, contact information, links, FAQs etc.

Share this topic:

• 133 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options