• 136 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Ion Fury  "formerly Ion Maiden, launching August 15!"

Yeah it's a 3rd party right?
I Want to see how the Switch port holds up :lol:

This post has been edited by Truck Stop Santa Claus: 31 December 2019 - 05:25 PM

User is offline   Kerr Avon 

Wow! Playing Iron Fury on the PS4 will be fantastic.

I was very disappointed that Night Dive Studios didn't port their first person shooter remakes to the PS4, but hopefully they'll port their System Shock Remake to the PS4, as they speculated a while ago.

Posted Image

found this on the Bombshell wiki

User is offline   the_raven 

View PostLazy Dog, on 14 January 2020 - 05:33 PM, said:

Posted Image

found this on the Bombshell wiki

Ugh, looks awful :rolleyes:

User is offline   oasiz 

• Dr. Effector

That's the raw render without any overpaint, intended for 3rd person model.
Facial features are just palceholder for the actual overpaint stuff.

User is offline   OpenMaw 

• Judge Mental

View Postthe_raven, on 15 January 2020 - 04:59 AM, said:

User is offline   Outtagum 

View Postthe_raven, on 15 January 2020 - 04:59 AM, said:

Posted Image

View Postoasiz, on 15 January 2020 - 05:20 AM, said:

That's the raw render without any overpaint, intended for 3rd person model.
Facial features are just palceholder for the actual overpaint stuff.

View PostCommando Nukem, on 15 January 2020 - 06:17 AM, said:

View PostOuttagum, on 15 January 2020 - 03:43 PM, said:

Posted Image

Well, not to insult anyone of course, I just think that 3d models of characters from sprite games usually don't look good. An example would be Duke Nukem 3D with full 3D.

User is offline   oasiz 

• Dr. Effector

A lot of models we have look quite bare before the overpaint. Models are more like a blueprint for the artist to work on.
The end result ends up being quite different to the renders, more colour depth gets added along with many additional details and cleanups.

Model renders directly are very bare bones and do not reflect the sprite itself, consider it 50% finished :rolleyes:

• Judge Mental

View Postthe_raven, on 16 January 2020 - 06:07 AM, said:

Well, not to insult anyone of course, I just think that 3d models of characters from sprite games usually don't look good. An example would be Duke Nukem 3D with full 3D.

You do understand that most of the sprites in Duke 3D were rendered off of 3D models just like this.

View PostCommando Nukem, on 17 January 2020 - 08:25 AM, said:

You do understand that most of the sprites in Duke 3D were rendered off of 3D models just like this.

No, I did not. Still, the reverse process is strange to me.

• Judge Mental

View Postthe_raven, on 17 January 2020 - 08:37 AM, said:

No, I did not. Still, the reverse process is strange to me.

It's the reason that Duke3D was able to run on such a wide range of hardware, whilst Quake required a bit more juice.

Rendering out images of 3D models makes it easier to animate the sprites, instead of having to manually/hand paint every frame from scratch. Doom used clay models and toys to do this.

Trying to render a model like the one posted there, in real-time, would grind even a modern system.

User is offline   oasiz 

• Dr. Effector

Yes, animating and lighting, you get a consistent light source that way.
It's actually quite hard to make consistent directional frames without some reference like that, what gets obscured during rotation etc..

User is offline   Mblackwell 

• Evil Overlord

That's not even the full quality texture and lighting. It's a draft render for reference.

the Twin Peaks easter egg doesn't work

UPDATE: i'm a f*cking idiot. I pressed the button, fell to my dead, and after loading i forgot to press it again. :rolleyes:

This post has been edited by Lazy Dog: 20 January 2020 - 01:40 PM

So is it broken
or
not?

no

ah cool

Substance20 dose it again
Posted Image

User is offline   Master O 

View PostTruck Stop Santa Claus, on 26 January 2020 - 10:30 AM, said:

Devilman Shelly....

User is offline   Phredreeke 

I can't help but think
Spoiler

User is offline   Player Lin 

View PostPhredreeke, on 01 February 2020 - 04:54 PM, said:

I can't help but think
Spoiler

Maybe not, the girl is Nightmare Reaper's protagonist(if you read the twitter post you would know), and I can't found what's her name is.

This post has been edited by Player Lin: 01 February 2020 - 08:21 PM

User is offline   NightFright 

• The Truth is in here

After a long break since last September, I have resumed playing the game. I noticed that a few game options are either missing or I have tomatoes on my eyes. Can't find the switches for texture filtering or palette emulation, for example. Can still edit the cfg file, but I believe I remember the options were there in v1.0. I am on v1.02 now. It's not really a big deal, but I find it curious.

Side note: It's not a good idea to play the game during the day with sunlight coming through the window when there are no blinds. Many levels are quite dark in some places. On the other hand, it's a neat trick to increase the challenge...

This post has been edited by NightFright: 08 February 2020 - 11:46 AM

User is offline   Player Lin 

View PostNightFright, on 08 February 2020 - 11:40 AM, said:

After a long break since last September, I have resumed playing the game. I noticed that a few game options are either missing or I have tomatoes on my eyes. Can't find the switches for texture filtering or palette emulation, for example. Can still edit the cfg file, but I believe I remember the options were there in v1.0. I am on v1.02 now. It's not really a big deal, but I find it curious.

Both removed now because EDuke32 team needed find a way to make them work with custom shader to re-implement them.
(If I didn't misunderstand some devs' posts... :rolleyes:)

This post has been edited by Player Lin: 09 February 2020 - 01:49 AM

User is offline   oasiz 

• Dr. Effector

filtering was in preview but it was removed as the palette setup was reworked for GL (due to implementation changes breaking it), there is no need for emulation option as it's set to accurate (high quality) by default.

As for sunlight, I recommend cranking up the gamma. Flat panels do not do that well in sunlight with many games.

• The Truth is in here

Yeah, I remember the options from the preview. Guess they were already gone in v1.0, I just noticed it now for some reason. Basically after I read somewhere else in the forum that the game doesn't look good with palette emulation off and I wanted to make sure it was on. Seems now it's on by default and you can only change it by manually editing the config. Not sure if there's still a way to turn on texture filtering, but I guess it's still somewhere, too. But default settings are just fine for me.

This post has been edited by NightFright: 09 February 2020 - 08:52 AM

User is offline   oasiz 

• Dr. Effector

Texture filtering code still exists but it's broken (i.e. parallax skies are missing). This was changed in eduke32 side around early 2018.

Options are:

Palette emulation:
OFF = Very old legacy style that approximates duke-like palswaps with GL functions, light on the system and this was the style adopted for polymost. Since none of the game palettes are really mathematically correct (and many skewed intentionally to produce desired results) the outcome is just a vague approximation. This can result in richer or different hues as a byproduct but they are more like "made up" rather than part of the game.

ON = This would use the true palette as a reference and create a copy of EACH used combination of EACH texture when loading a map. While this produces desired results, the cost to get there is quite high as you'd have duplicates in RAM. I think Fury was around 200-300MB VRAM usage alone on the first maps during preview which was just ridiculous amounts for that texture set.

Current = Permanent "on", instead of using above functions it uses shaders on the fly to do the palette swaps. This ensures accuracy while not utilizing any extra memory. By far the superior option.

So yes, when people refer to "palette emulation", giving choice is simply unnecessary today. (As the old approximation was just a compromise/workaround)

• The Truth is in here

Makes sense then to remove this option since it makes little sense to allow users to go for an inferior method. Since I also dislike bilinear filtering in old games (or retro style like this one), I don't really miss the option, just wondered what happened to it.

View PostNightFright, on 08 February 2020 - 11:40 AM, said:

Side note: It's not a good idea to play the game during the day with sunlight coming through the window when there are no blinds. Many levels are quite dark in some places. On the other hand, it's a neat trick to increase the challenge...

Have you beat the game yet?

User is offline   MusicallyInspired 

• The Sarien Encounter

I noticed when toggling Palette Emulation in the older builds that there were missing colour values in textures while it was ON. Is this still the case? Or was it intentional I guess? I kind of felt bad having it ON for that reason because it felt like I was not seeing all of the great work in its full glory.

Share this topic:

• 136 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options