Ion Fury  "formerly Ion Maiden, launching August 15!"

HAY
you guys have the old brown cultists
I liked them a little better

User is online   NightFright 

• The Truth is in here

View PostTruck Stop Santa Claus, on 09 February 2020 - 01:25 PM, said:

Have you beat the game yet?

Not yet. I have reached the end of zone 5 now, "Heskel's House of Horrors". Never thought it would take me that long, but there was a time I just couldn't play.

Gratefully upgrading from v1.0 to 1.02 mid game did not cause bigger problems as the game offers fallback options in case the savegames become incompatible.

Great part of the game
Have fun :rolleyes:

• The Truth is in here

Finally completed the game today. Gotta admit the last part had its shortcomings. Some structures looked familiar from earlier levels and the last boss fight was kind of a letdown, but maybe that's just me. I expected a more personal encounter, but hey, what a ride it was until then.

My weapon of choice was the Disperser throughout most of the levels, with the crossbow as fallback option. I ignored the bowling grenades until almost the end mostly, but then the game REALLY wants you to use them by giving you larger groups of trashmobs. And it's really fun, then.

Ultimately, I still love the general art direction of the game, its setting and devotion to little details. I also doubt I will ever find all the secrets on my own without consulting a guide. It's clearly visible this was made by people who have played all the important classic shooters of the 90s and pay some kind of tribute to them. If there's anything that negatively sticks out, it's the stupid title rename which stole a big part of the identity of the game. Anyway, incredible what can stil be done with Build these days, and Ion Mai... errr Fury is as close to a Duke Nukem successor as we can possibly get these days, considering how Gearbox is handling the franchise.

This post has been edited by NightFright: 13 February 2020 - 02:20 PM

User is offline   Micky C 

• Honored Donor

Is there any word on a patch for Ion Fury containing all the latest eduke32 improvements, as as well as a release for MacOS?

User is offline   Hank 

Posted Image
from
https://twitter.com/RafalBrozio

User is offline   Mark 

Before Shelly lost a bet and had to get the head shave.

• The Truth is in here

I wonder what Bronn would say now.

User is offline   Hank 

Here is a speed artist Zan HedonDev working on Shelly, for a 3DR contest.
https://youtu.be/64BcWYUWKkw

from
https://twitter.com/...475806336331777

This post has been edited by Hank: 13 March 2020 - 02:37 PM

User is offline   Hank 

Works from Bertrand Breton!
Posted Image

from
https://twitter.com/...c=hashtag_click

User is offline   MrFlibble 

Nice, but I can't help thinking that this "girl shooting at someone/something in mid-air in that kind of kneeling pose" has become an overused cliche these days.

That girl has more chrome in her face than machines shoot at... Genisys style ;)

User is offline   Hank 

Ion Fury has a voxel weapon, Ion Uzi

Posted Image

download here
https://www.moddb.co...ion-voxel-model

YijArt did that a long time ago
Looks like official stuff, very good job

User is offline   Sanek 

Can't wait to see how it holds up on Switch
it's just been AC for my poor Switch this year, so I'm keeping my eye on this

Well
It's out guys, playing it on Switch myself ;)

This post has been edited by Truck Stop Santa Claus: 15 May 2020 - 11:28 AM

User is offline   Malgon 

User is offline   MusicallyInspired 

• The Sarien Encounter

Nice video and very revealing. I didn't know General Arcade was in charge of the ports. Nice! He did say though that the music was natively OGG Vorbis on PC. Unless something's changed since I last played it, it's actually .XM music right?

User is offline   necroslut 

View PostMusicallyInspired, on 16 May 2020 - 06:29 AM, said:

Nice video and very revealing. I didn't know General Arcade was in charge of the ports. Nice! He did say though that the music was natively OGG Vorbis on PC. Unless something's changed since I last played it, it's actually .XM music right?

It's the sound effects are .ogg.

This post has been edited by necroslut: 16 May 2020 - 03:56 PM

• The Sarien Encounter

Ah he just said "sound" and not "music." I don't know why I thought he said music.

User is offline   oasiz 

• Dr. Effector

Music was also rendered

amazing how limited consoles are

• The Sarien Encounter

View Postoasiz, on 19 May 2020 - 07:43 AM, said:

Music was also rendered

Yes, but not originally from OGG files. At least....I hope not.

This post has been edited by MusicallyInspired: 19 May 2020 - 02:19 PM

User is offline   LeoD 

• Duke4.net topic/3513

I[r]on Fury build r8953 for Win32/64
Provided as-is. Do not ask me or even the developers for further support. Do not file bug reports about these executables.

This post has been edited by LeoD: 20 May 2020 - 07:58 AM

uhh
ok

User is offline   Hank 

Ion Fury soundtrack, is the best (second best) soundtrack for May, of PlayStation video games ...
https://www.pushsqua...sic_of_may_2020

All the best Voidpoint. Keep it up. :)

wow
that is nuts

Hey, I've actually gotten around to play the full game a bit!

Is it me, or has the title theme changed slightly compared to the preview builds? I can't tell for sure because I played the previews on Linux while Windows has some HD audio driver thing that maybe alters sound quality.

I'm somewhat disappointed that while the preview campaign is playable as a bonus mission, it still uses the final version settings for enemies and weapons, with alt-fire and no brown technocultists anymore. I'm not complaining, and it makes the demo/preview more special, if only it were available to other people too. (BTW, I also don't have the latest version of he preview with the Heskel's House of Horrors level).

Playing a bit more, I realised, for the first time in a Build engine game, that the enemy AI is rather limited:

• enemies frequently get stuck in corners or hug walls when they are alerted to the player's presence but are unable to reach her, e.g. because they're on low ground

• enemies sometimes try to shoot at the player through solid walls, or from around the corner but their weapon is pointing into the corner (thus firing into the wall) while they are exposed to the player's fire

• so far I haven't noticed any enemy defensive behaviours from the enemies, e.g. trying to dodge or take cover. They seem to either stand idly, attack from distance while remaining stationary, or go straight at the player in an attempt to attack

It occurred to me that it would be nice if enemies would act in more diverse fashions, e.g. I don't think I ever ran into one patrolling an area (something that you can find even in Wolfenstein 3-D). Or see them do some stuff like set up weird equipment for Heskel's experiments, or even just an automated turret. I guess making a few extra animations for that could be quite possible. You know, so that you don't have the impression that the only thing they do is stand and wait for the player.

Ion Fury is such a great new start for the Build engine, it could incorporate a lot more elements, including friendly NPCs and more diverse situations/missions, e.g. rescuing captured GDF personnel or civilians, sabotaging enemy operations or something along those lines. I mean, many outdoor areas I have been into so far, including a replay of the preview area with the Sandy's bus and GDF HQ, gave me a strong feeling of intense urban combat I never had in any of the classic Build games. This could be peppered even more if the enemies showed some smarter behaviours than they do now IMO.

Share this topic:

• 136 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options