Duke4.net Forums: Ion Fury - Duke4.net Forums

• 136 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Ion Fury  "formerly Ion Maiden, launching August 15!"

User is offline   Phredreeke 

I don't like it either, but can we please take this to the outhouse? :dukecigar:

User is offline   Anacronox 

Back on track. Is it just me or smth is very wrong with in-game vsync? "On" cuts my fps in half even though cpu\gpu both are hardly loaded, "adaptive" is better performance-wise but leaves lots of tearing. 0_0

It has been suggested to turn VSync off in-game and instead enabling it in the settings panel for your graphics card

User is offline   Sledgehammer 

• Once you start doubting, there's no end to it

View PostNightFright, on 19 August 2019 - 10:50 PM, said:

to me it seems the review was done by someone who didn't really grow up with shooters or is at least not that familiar with Build games

It really has nothing to do with growing up with these things, it's really a matter of taste and that "article" (or let's be real, it's a blogpost) is just an opinion. From technical point of view it's a fact that IF is a well designed game with level design and interactivity being very strong points. To this day this is the most well designed shooter I have ever played, it's almost perfect compared to other games in this style (shooters that have or pretend to have level design) despite being on the old engine. However, this game, like others, is not for everyone. Some people actually prefer games like Dusk or Amid Evil that are pretty different from IF, kind of like Iga's Castlevania and Super Metroid are also different, though I'd say the difference is bigger in that case. Some people also may not like this kind of games at all, some even play games for being experimental too. I know a bunch of people myself who don't like specific genres at all including classic FPS, so it's normal. Some people also love casual shooters or casual games as a whole, though when it comes to "journalists", most of them don't like to play video games at all.

For the record, I could be careless about "journalists" who present their opinions as articles, the reason I bring that up is that I've seen plenty of the people who had similar complaints that are subjective, especially something like "Dusk is better anyway". It's quite interesting topic if we speak of the people themselves. Not sure why they buy these games though, it was clear what kind of FPS IF is.
Spoiler

This post has been edited by Sledgehammer: 20 August 2019 - 07:00 AM

View PostxMobilemux, on 20 August 2019 - 01:31 AM, said:

OAG is just as bad sometimes yes, but you can't tell me they aren't right on the money in this case.

Voidpoint and 3D Realms are fucking pathetic, not only censoring the game, but donating $10000 to appease the hateful fucks, that sets a VERY dangerous precedent, never have I felt so much regret and disgust buying direct from their website.

Shit, even Lunick has apparently lost his marbles, stating he hates gamers and is going on a banning and deleting spree over on Steam.

Imagine thinking donating 10'000$ to a good cause is a bad thing.

Sounds more like you actually hate transsexuals to me.

User is offline   TerminX 

• el fundador

We didn't censor the game and anyone telling you we did is lying or gravely misinformed.

User is offline   Zaxx 

• Banned

Oh man, some of these fucking secrets are just... uh.

I searched my ass off for one of the mega secrets but found absolutely nothing. So I went and looked up the solution online and I was like "HOW THE HELL DID I NOT SEE THAT TEENY-TINY FUCKING BUTTON???"

Umm... in my playthrough I shot a guy there and the sprite of his body obscured the fucking button...

That's why you should play the game several times, really. That's kind of the point of those secrets, playing more than once also gives you an idea about the gameplay and game mechanics itself better, along with design of course. It was the same with Duke when the game was new. Never managed to get all the secrets in Duke in one go, took me a bunch of playthroughs to learn everything about the game. Now this knowledge is partly useless because IF is designed differently when it comes to this.

User is offline   Forge 

• Speaker of the Outhouse

View PostTerminX, on 20 August 2019 - 07:21 AM, said:

We didn't censor the game and anyone telling you we did is lying or gravely misinformed.

People writing those "articles" are convoluting 3dr with voidpoint.
3dr are the cucks with their pandering pr announcements, voidpoint was left to face the wolves of the community for 3dr's decisions.

Choose your bedmates more wisely next time.

This post has been edited by Forge: 20 August 2019 - 08:10 AM

User is offline   Zaxx 

• Banned

View PostSledgehammer, on 20 August 2019 - 07:49 AM, said:

That's why you should play the game several times, really. That's kind of the point of those secrets,

Yep, really I only blame my bad luck, it's just that when you get the "thought process" down meaning that you know exactly what to do and you're just missing a small portion of the puzzle you just can't really let it go usually. :dukecigar:

That's why I had to look up the piano puzzle too sort of: I found all the clues, I knew what to do but then I realized that I just can't solve the puzzle due to my lack of knowledge (I can't identify notes by hearing). Now that I absolutely blame the game for, that's a bad puzzle.

This post has been edited by Zaxx: 20 August 2019 - 08:10 AM

User is offline   Forge 

• Speaker of the Outhouse

View PostZaxx, on 20 August 2019 - 08:08 AM, said:

I can't identify notes by hearing

i have bad tinnitus, that puzzle will be impossible for me

Just press the same keys as in the video

I think my problem about piano will be related to the fact that in real life it's easier to push keys on piano unless it doesn't matter how quick you should push them. However, I can understand why you wouldn't like it, though I bet it's totally worth it.

User is online   NightFright 

• The Truth is in here

In general, there are some really nasty secrets in this game. Some are the standard ones, like pushing a wall or opening a seemingly meaningless prop. For others you need to push chairs or trashcans to other places to use them as jump pads or something else you usually wouldn't do in a shooter. I am amazed how many different kinds of secrets the dev team was able to implement here. They really made finding secrets great again.

This post has been edited by NightFright: 20 August 2019 - 09:29 AM

User is offline   Zaxx 

• Banned

Yeah, apart from the secrets not being that rewarding gameplay wise finding a lot of them is fun because you have to do something different than what you'd do in other shooters. And when it comes to the stuff that's bothering me (mostly the platforming stuff and the piano) it's never because I see something lazy but because they went overboard with a few of them and that's a lot better than laziness.

User is offline   oasiz 

• Dr. Effector

Piano is actually surprisingly logical, it's amazing how many overthink it :dukecigar:
Since many have already seen the videos and whatnot, let me spoil a bit:
Spoiler

And yes, I don't even normally play piano :P

User is offline   Jblade 

funny thing is I tried to watch Barbarella but couldn't get through it all, wish I'd stuck with it so I'd get that reference.

I did love the Chernobyl one, and though I didn't like the film that much I did watch Hardware and it made that reference a lot cooler too.

EDIT: Oh yeah, and:
Spoiler

unfortunately my 100% secret run was stopped by a bug with the hub system I did mention earlier (second to last zone, can't remember the name but entering z6a3 again after clearing it reset it completely and even re-added the secrets to the counter) Not a big deal, I'll wait till a patch drops till I try my Max Fury run.

This post has been edited by Jblade: 20 August 2019 - 11:22 AM

User is offline   oasiz 

• Dr. Effector

Please let's keep the discussion out of here, I will link this one statement however.

What was said on steam: "The answer is no; we are only tweaking a rarely seen decorative sprite and removing some offensive text found outside the game world in leftover map data."

..So no, that's just a single texture.
From here on I will however start removing posts that go off-topic as this topic has been done and dealt with.

User is offline   Sanek 

View PostMarya, on 20 August 2019 - 11:22 AM, said:

SO i heard that the dev team for this game gave in and will be removing 'offensive' jokes in the next patch, you could just not download the new patch i guess.

Don't take my word for it though.

Only GOG and 3DR customers will be able to not patch the game.

I'll complete the game and won't change my opinion of you guys.
The game is still awesome, but because of all the drama going on, it made the game itself completely irrelevant just like that. :(

User is offline   Newken 

Some secrets are hard to find, indeed. My second playthrough is 100% and it's going slooooowly. Nevertheless, Ion Fury is great! :(

User is offline   NNC 

Okay, my pretentious question again. Who did what level?

As far as I have been informed, the first two zones are Davox, third is oasiz, fourth is Daedolon, fifth and sixth are Methy/Vitaliy, seventh is oasiz again.

Is that correct, or are inner levels or areas made by more people?

User is offline   oasiz 

• Dr. Effector

View PostThe Watchtower, on 20 August 2019 - 12:04 PM, said:

Okay, my pretentious question again. Who did what level?

As far as I have been informed, the first two zones are Davox, third is oasiz, fourth is Daedolon, fifth and sixth are Methy/Vitaliy, seventh is oasiz again.

Is that correct, or are inner levels or areas made by more people?

Yes, and secret secret level was fox.
Artem did some work on 5_1 but that has been reworked quite extensively since.

Methy and I worked on a bunch of the other maps (I probably did at least one edit at some point) as well. i.e. I did a lot of effect prototyping or mockups on changes that got implemented later, it's hard to measure a precise % but that list lines is still true.
Our stuff to other maps were mostly polish / tweaks / edits / effect rigging mind you.

By secret secret level you mean there's another one than Grand Slam?

User is offline   oasiz 

• Dr. Effector

View PostPhredreeke, on 20 August 2019 - 12:29 PM, said:

Spoiler

User is offline   Zaxx 

• Banned

There's something I'd love to see added to the game: switching between the shotgun and the grenade launcher should act like reloading too. It's a bit silly that after firing a few round with the shotgun and switching to the grenade launcher Shelly is not putting a full clip into the shotgun after switching back again.

First time playing, not even 3 hours in and i am already in love with it :(

View PostZaxx, on 20 August 2019 - 12:41 PM, said:

There's something I'd love to see added to the game: switching between the shotgun and the grenade launcher should act like reloading too. It's a bit silly that after firing a few round with the shotgun and switching to the grenade launcher Shelly is not putting a full clip into the shotgun after switching back again.

Yes please, that confused me the first time.

This post has been edited by Lazy Dog: 20 August 2019 - 01:06 PM

User is offline   NY00123 

So, I'm sure there's no doubt at all, but this is just the little I've done about 5 days earlier to confirm which Linux EXE is used in Ion Fury v1.0:

- Created a new Steam Runtime for Linux 64-bit chroot environment, and added a few packages to it. In particular, it should have gcc-5 version "5.4.0-7.really.6+steamrt1.2+srt2" and libsdl2 version "2.0.9.~reimport-0+steamrt1.1+srt2". On the other hand, it does *not* have subversion or git installed. For future reference, I've attached a txt file with a full list of the installed packages:

Attached File  steamrt_scout_amd64_20190816_pkglist.txt (107.19K)
Number of downloads: 1

- Built an Ion Fury Linux EXE from SVN revision 8018 of the EDuke32 sources as follows (I've removed the -j param):

make APPNAME="'Ion Fury'" APPBASENAME="fury" STANDALONE=1 POLYMER=0 USE_LIBVPX=0 NETCODE=0 SIMPLE_MENU=1 STARTUP_WINDOW=0 obj=obj/fury fury CC=gcc-5 CXX=g++-5

The result: Except for the differing values of the __DATE__ and __TIME__ macros in build/src/rev.cpp, the Linux EXE I've gotten is byte-by-byte matching v1.0.

This post has been edited by NY00123: 20 August 2019 - 01:31 PM

User is offline   Sanek 

One minor stupid thing I wish was there is to make Shelly burps after drinking a couple of colas, a la Redneck Rampage. :(

User is offline   Newken 

What about farting? Oh, women don't fart. :(

User is offline   Striker 

• Auramancer

View PostZaxx, on 20 August 2019 - 12:41 PM, said:

A decent suggestion.

Share this topic:

• 136 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options