• Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Ion Fury  "formerly Ion Maiden, launching August 15!"

User is offline   Micky C 

• Honored Donor

View PostDustFalcon85, on 15 August 2019 - 06:15 PM, said:

Got a question or two.

Will Voidpoint reach out to Richard "Levellord" Grey and or Allen Blum to make levels for an expansion pack for Ion Fury in the future?

and/or

Is Voidpoint try and find the remnants of Sunstorm Interactive -especially Charlie Wiederhold- to create an expansion pack for Ion Fury in the future? Just like the Build games got their own expansion pack by Sunstorm.

Find? Charlie posted just 7 posts above yours.

I don't think Voidpoint needs any external talent. The levels in IF are just as good as in the other build games, and are certainly far more detailed.

Furthermore, the whole advantage of IF development is that it's done by people who have been modding build more or less continuously for a very long time. As talented as the other guys are, I bet the current IF mappers could churn out content faster. I don't think it needs the nostalgia crutch of the Duke devs either.

This post has been edited by Micky C: 15 August 2019 - 06:42 PM

User is offline   Aristotle Gumball 

• banned!

I am also incredibly impressed with what I've seen so far from my 1 hour of playing IF! I just walk/stand around taking in all the detail after killing everything. It's like going to a pixel art museum. Haven't seen such well crafted/handcrafted levels in a looong time and to me the levels are the main thing in a game like this. Lack of special weapons doesn't really bother me because the basic's feel good to use.

User is offline   11bush 

Are there any tools to allow us to edit the art for the game, to create custom weapons?

don't know why that posted the same question twice

This post has been edited by 11bush: 15 August 2019 - 06:56 PM

User is offline   Forge 

• Speaker of the Outhouse

DLCs / Addons is more of a question for 3DRealms. It's their ip.

Any intentions to try to market another eduke ported build game, or are there plans to expand to a different engine?

You can maybe squeeze another couple games out of it before the market dries up, but fancies shift, so you have a year, maybe two tops before people move on to the next fad.

This post has been edited by Forge: 15 August 2019 - 06:54 PM

Add Ion Fury to Gamebanana for those of us that still use it :dukecigar:
https://gamebanana.com/games/7473

This post has been edited by Truck Stop Santa Claus: 15 August 2019 - 06:58 PM

User is offline   Gambini 

I also found a Blade Runner reference!

https://steamuserima...DDC7C6D5946C0C/

I actually wanted to give the game a quick go before going to bed but i ended up playing far more than expected. Satisfying gameplay and top notch design on all areas. Excellent work guys!

User is offline   HulkNukem 

I'd love to work on an expansion or Voidpoint's new game.

That said, I played about an hour of Ion Fury before having to get some stuff done. Looking forward to continuing in the future!

User is offline   cybdmn 

View Postt800, on 15 August 2019 - 09:51 AM, said:

Okay, then. Correcting myself - it is already for Ubuntu. So what is the status for MacOS? Sorry for spaming thread with the same question, just very curious...

I hoped for a native Mac OSX version too, after the devs said there will be one with full release. However things are more complicated since the early access version, when i asked. Apple more or less dropped OpenGL support, and with the next OSX release they will drop 32bit support completely. IF runs well in my MacBook Pro using Wine in software rendering, i just can not get it running in fullscreen.

User is offline   t800 

Hmm, now I am wondering if Eduke32 synthesis build for MacOS would be able to run game just with its data files. :dukecigar:
Propably just going to buy game today anyway, cant wait.

View PostMicky C, on 15 August 2019 - 06:24 PM, said:

Furthermore, the whole advantage of IF development is that it's done by people who have been modding build more or less continuously for a very long time.

Yeah IF's got more than enough talent to mop the floor with anyone trying to keep up.

Spoiler

This post has been edited by WorkWandaWork: 16 August 2019 - 12:08 AM

User is offline   MetHy 

I've always thought Airplane was a "coder's map", as in made by someone who understands internally how far you can bring Build and SW's effects.
Spoiler

This post has been edited by MetHy: 16 August 2019 - 12:07 AM

What I've been admiring a ton about Ion Fury is all the new whiz bang features and styles are there to make the levels and gameplay feel even *more* like a great build engine game, not to try to make a build engine game feel like a later era game. So it heavily scratches that "coder map" itch without making a lot of the mistakes I reliably fell prey to where it gets in the way of why most non-LDs would want to keep replaying a build level. You could grab someone and put them in front of IF, Duke, Blood, SW who doesn't know the history and it wouldn't seem out of place except it would clearly be doing things the others could only hint at and they'd wonder why the DBSW level designers were so lazy.

Spoiler

This post has been edited by WorkWandaWork: 16 August 2019 - 12:53 AM

User is online   Danukem 

• Duke Plus Developer

I've played for about 3 hours now and made it to a level named "Abandonment Issues". The levels are huge, intricate and extremely well designed. Anyone who reviews this game and doesn't dwell on the level design is not doing their job. We sometimes take great level design for granted in the Duke 3D community because the skills have been preserved and honed over the years by mappers who have stuck around, some of the most talented of which made the IF levels. But in the world of commercial gaming, level design is largely a lost art. Outside of the Dishonored series, it's hard to think of examples of modern commercial games where so much care and skill is involved in the creation of single player maps.

I have some quibbles about IF here and there, for sure, but the levels by themselves are worth the price of admission. You could give the player a Saturday night special and a broken bottle and all the enemies couldall be rent-a-cops and it would still be a pretty good game.

Playing on ultra viscera, the hardest part by a long shot so far was the "rat in a cage" fight. I think I died about 8 times before I got it. However, it didn't seem unfair -- it just took me a while to learn how to run around properly, where the resources were located, and which weapon to switch to at which time. I do tend to agree though, that in open areas where enemies can shoot at you from very far away (in some cases where they are effectively invisible) it can feel very cheap when you take damage. Having your health trashed by a grenade fired from halfway across the map is especially annoying. It would be nice if enemy locations and in some cases projectiles were better telegraphed if they are going to fire at long range like that. I'll definitely have more to say when I'm further into the game, but I'm enjoying it a lot so far.

User is offline   Zaxx 

• Banned

I've just tried launching IF in Polymer with EDuke32... I had 4 fps at the starting area and the enemies became transparent :dukecigar: Honestly I'm surprised it even runs.

This post has been edited by Zaxx: 16 August 2019 - 03:21 AM

User is offline   NightFright 

• The Truth is in here

Does the game otherwise run with latest EDuke32 snapshot binaries? I am not sure if it is advisable to not use the provided executable.

User is offline   mwnn 

View PostZaxx, on 16 August 2019 - 03:19 AM, said:

I've just tried launching IF in Polymer with EDuke32... I had 4 fps at the starting area and the enemies became transparent :dukecigar: Honestly I'm surprised it even runs.
I thought I was doing something wrong too with ~10 fps until I read this post
Using the latest build of EDuke32 (rev 8031) on Debian Linux with an old Phenom II 955 + R9 285.
Solid performance with Polymost @ 1080p

I've got no real complaints about the game so far. I would double or at least add 50% to the ammo carrying capacity for the basic weapons ~48 shotguns shells and ~90 odd bullets doesn't feel quite enough.
It's quite a stern challenge on ultra viscera - had to pretty much eat every piece of food off the floor to make it through the first level.
What I've seen is excellent so far.
If Duke takes 1st place and Blood 2nd then this takes the 3rd spot dislodging Shadow Warrior - feels very much like a better Shadow Warrior; maybe it's the urban setting.

md5sums for Ion Fury v1 data files as requested
68f4b7e312bbaf6e7fd564ca2ba552ad  fury.def
050a1016d230a7ec34a54c630a578d41  fury.grp
bfd8c286567f5a8a93bd3a039435c419  fury.grpinfo

This post has been edited by mwnn: 16 August 2019 - 04:49 AM

User is offline   Master O 

Any future Ion Fury expansion pack should be solely dedicated to skewering Iron Maiden the band. Think of it as Voidpoint's gaming equivalent of a middle finger.

This post has been edited by Master O: 16 August 2019 - 04:15 AM

User is offline   Radar 

• King of SOVL

Is there a list of IF credits that links the names to their online handles?

This post has been edited by Radar: 16 August 2019 - 04:43 AM

User is offline   MusicallyInspired 

• The Sarien Encounter

View PostNightFright, on 16 August 2019 - 04:01 AM, said:

Does the game otherwise run with latest EDuke32 snapshot binaries? I am not sure if it is advisable to not use the provided executable.

It detects fury.grp and starts up just fine.

User is offline   Zaxx 

• Banned

Yeah and even if you copy fury.grp, fury.grpinfo and fury.def into your ED32 directory it will just work. The only difference I've noticed is that you have to scroll the main menu a bit when using regular ED32 but I only completed the first two maps.

And yeah, I'm sure it's not advisable, I was just curious (basically I looked at one of IF's log files and saw that it's running r8018 so I was like "hey, let's try regular EDuke on this"). :dukecigar:

Edit: Where this could be kind of useful though is for people who only have a 32bit machine since IF only ships with a 64bit client in stores. The 32bit build of EDuke32 runs it without problem it seems.

This post has been edited by Zaxx: 16 August 2019 - 05:00 AM

User is offline   Forge 

• Speaker of the Outhouse

View PostMaster O, on 16 August 2019 - 04:15 AM, said:

Any future Ion Fury expansion pack should be solely dedicated to skewering Iron Maiden the band. Think of it as Voidpoint's gaming equivalent of a middle finger.

Any commercial IF addon should be dedicated to mocking the people who wined and complained non-stop about delays.

User is offline   Lunick 

View PostRadar, on 16 August 2019 - 04:27 AM, said:

Is there a list of IF credits that links the names to their online handles?

This is all I can give you for the moment
Posted Image

User is offline   Sledgehammer 

• Once you start doubting, there's no end to it

I just hope they share 32-bit .exe for the game here or on Steam forums one day, so I could play the game on my laptop when I won't be able to use my desktop.

User is offline   Lunick 

View PostSledgehammer, on 16 August 2019 - 05:20 AM, said:

I just hope they share 32-bit .exe for the game here or on Steam forums one day, so I could play the game on my laptop when I won't be able to use my desktop.

I think the 32-Bit builds from the EDuke32 Synthesis should still detect and run the game?

User is offline   Radar 

• King of SOVL

View PostLunick, on 16 August 2019 - 05:19 AM, said:

This is all I can give you for the moment
Posted Image

Very useful. Thanks!

User is offline   Radar 

• King of SOVL

Did anything by Brullov survive into the final game?

Doesn't the game use "hacked" .exe even now? It was also mentioned long ago that EDuke32 lack full support for the game, but that was during the time when there was just preview campaign. I somehow doubt that EDuke32 Synthesis is fully compatible with Ion Fury at the moment, especially considering no one said anything about this, not even on Steam.

User is offline   Lunick 

Posted Image

User is offline   MetHy 

View PostRadar, on 16 August 2019 - 05:27 AM, said:

Did anything by Brullov survive into the final game?

Yes. z5a1 (first map of zone5) is based on a map he had started. Obviously a lot has changed since then, even in terms of layout, but there is also a lot in that level that he had made that is still there, pretty much alike outside of some polish, only placed/connected differently or expanded on.

View PostLunick, on 16 August 2019 - 05:38 AM, said:

pic

At this point you're either mocking me or simply don't understand what I'm trying to say.

Again, I'm concerned or rather I'm curious about full compatibility with EDuke32 Synthesis builds, not whether it can run the game or not since I already know that EDuke32 can find and run game's .grp file. IF itself does not use regular EDuke32 build after all, hence comes the question about compatibility. Hopefully the devs answer this question, and if there is something wrong with full compatibility someone provide download link for 32-bit .exe for IF, though it would be much easier just to make EDuke32 (32/64-bit builds) fully compatible with Iron Fury files which may happen eventually I think. I'm sure the people who refuse or can't upgrade to 64-bit system would appreciate that.

This post has been edited by Sledgehammer: 16 August 2019 - 06:28 AM

Share this topic:

• 136 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options