• « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Ion Fury  "formerly Ion Maiden, launching August 15!"

User is offline   Hank 

View PostMaster O, on 30 July 2018 - 02:47 PM, said:

I will, when it's fully done!

Question: When IM's development is done and it's released in its entirety, will Eduke32 support soon follow?

I think, you are better of hanging out at Steam, for answers. :(
https://steamcommuni...68437879045989/
and
https://steamcommuni...01877489567768/

User is offline   Fox 

• Fraka kaka kaka kaka-kow!

View PostMaster O, on 30 July 2018 - 02:47 PM, said:

I will, when it's fully done!

Question: When IM's development is done and it's released in its entirety, will Eduke32 support soon follow?

The executable is Eduke32 with a few options enabled/disabled.

User is offline   necroslut 

Is there anything that can be done about the wonky clipping on spritework and flat sprites? I know it works the same way as in Duke, but it can be really annoying when glitching on top of things that are clearly taller than Shelly's stepheight... It's less of an issue in vanilla Duke as it doesn't really have a lot of that kind of spritework - it's mostly a "problem" in mods - but 'Maiden does have plenty of spritework (wall terminals, fences etc) and it's probably the one thing in the preview campaign that seems the most unprofessional to me.

User is online   Phredreeke 

In OpenGL or both?

View PostPhredreeke, on 31 July 2018 - 04:47 PM, said:

In OpenGL or both?

I'm not talking about visual glitches, but how you get "teleported" on top of spritework, even if it's taller than sector geometry you wouldn't "step" onto. Makes no difference what renderer.
I know people have used this odd (and most likely unintended) behavior to make ladders and such in Duke, so it's probably 20 years too late to change there, but it is annoying when playing especially in cramped spaces such as the stairwell entrance to the office building.

Try stepping up to one of the wall-mounted computer terminal keyboards, or the hand dryers in the bathroom and you'll see what I mean.

This post has been edited by necroslut: 31 July 2018 - 04:52 PM

User is offline   Mark 

I know what you mean. I usually try to put up blocking around say a table and chairs or a dresser or desk because it can be annoying jumping up on things you didn't intend to. I also make sure to unblock wall mounted sprites if they are just decoration so you don't climb on them.

This post has been edited by Mark.: 31 July 2018 - 05:16 PM

View PostMark., on 31 July 2018 - 05:05 PM, said:

I know what you mean. I usually try to put up blocking around say a table and chairs or a dresser or desk because it can be annoying jumping up on things you didn't intend to. I also make sure to unblock wall mounted sprites if they are just decoration so you don't climb on them.

Blocking off doesn't work well if you can go over - or under - the "model" though. Another workaround is to make the whole thing non-blocking, but then you can instead clip inside it.

I think this is really two issues though - first that the player can step onto sprites that are taller than equivalent sectors. Secondly that in the case of 3D "cubes", the player will first step onto the bottom "panel" - even if nothing of it protrudes out from the side - and then from there instantly up onto the top plane, allowing "climbing" even higher than with regular sprites.

User is offline   Mark 

By blocking I mean putting purple blocking walls in the map around the table or desk. There is no going over or under.

View PostMark., on 31 July 2018 - 06:48 PM, said:

By blocking I mean putting purple blocking walls in the map around the table or desk. There is no going over or under.

That's what I thought you meant. What I meant was that you can't block it off with sector walls if the map layout you're going for requires or allows the player to move over or underneath the spritework, sorta limiting its use. But sure, it usually works indoors.

User is offline   Micky C 

• Honored Donor

View PostMark., on 31 July 2018 - 06:48 PM, said:

No such thing as purple or blocked walls in mapster these days Posted Image

User is offline   Forge 

• Speaker of the Outhouse

View PostMicky C, on 31 July 2018 - 07:38 PM, said:

the header lines in tiles.cfg say you're wrong

// NOTE: See the end of the tile group declarations [OLD_COLOR_SCHEME] for how
// one can create a color scheme similar to earlier Mapster32 builds

This post has been edited by Forge: 31 July 2018 - 08:37 PM

User is offline   Jblade 

nope, that doesn't work - just tried it and blocked walls are still red :( One sided blocking walls work fine though.

This post has been edited by Jblade: 31 July 2018 - 09:55 PM

User is offline   Mark 

Ever since "the change" I have to look up close to detect if the wall is red or purple. Its not readily apparent but thats all been discussed at length before. I deal with it.

User is offline   Forge 

• Speaker of the Outhouse

View PostMicky C, on 31 July 2018 - 07:38 PM, said:

Sorry. My mistake. I'm wrong.

View PostJblade, on 31 July 2018 - 09:54 PM, said:

nope, that doesn't work - just tried it and blocked walls are still red :( One sided blocking walls work fine though.

That sucks. Hendricks is the one who pointed it to me last time I mentioned it. Glad I didn't update then.
(not that I map, but I do play a lot of old user maps & sometimes I dig around in them looking for watermarks if there's no template. Or on rare occasions people will have issues with a map they're working on and I poke around in them looking for solutions).

I might toy around with the idea of making an Ion Maiden map (if the non-steam version has an editor), but I predict the color scheme will be off-putting, or make it more of a chore than it needs to be.

This post has been edited by Forge: 01 August 2018 - 05:13 AM

• Honored Donor

Is there going to be a third update to Ion Maiden on the 3D Realms store? I’m eager to play Queen of the Hill, and I’m still having trouble getting past the first two rounds due to not being able to find enemies.

User is offline   NNC 

Yea, especially stage 2 is notorious.

User is offline   DavoX 

• Honored Donor

Id check the beta section if you have it on steam :(

User is offline   Master O 

https://www.gog.com/game/ion_maiden

GOG's page says Iron Maiden is being released in Q3 2018, but wasn't IM's release pushed back to Q1 2019?

User is offline   Hank 

View PostMaster O, on 03 August 2018 - 03:50 PM, said:

https://www.gog.com/game/ion_maiden

GOG's page says Iron Maiden is being released in Q3 2018, but wasn't IM's release pushed back to Q1 2019?

GoG and 3D Realms'(got -0 direct Info to date) clients are the last to know. :(
As I mentioned previously, if you want up-to-date info, stick with Steam.
https://steamcommuni...56057412051471/

This post has been edited by Hank: 03 August 2018 - 04:53 PM

User is offline   Mblackwell 

• Evil Overlord

Unfortunately we have little control over what happens with GOG (only GOG controls GOG).

When you map for IM your blockwalls will be purple. :(

User is offline   Loke 

So when Ion Maiden is finally released how long before we see a Hollywood Holocaust remake?

User is offline   NNC 

The only Hollywood Holocaust remake I'm interested in is the one made by the level's author.

User is offline   Mark 

I hope someone does remake HH in IM. I would like it to be more than just a texture and enemy swap. Expand it a bit like in HHR. It has fantastic textures for a city map like HH.

User is offline   Sanek 

Finally played "Queen of the Hill" mode for the first freakin' time!

The first 8 stages is very easy IMO, I never had less than 70 health until that stage. The concept is nice, but the map is way too big for a mode like that. The spiders is more of an annoyance than a real threat becasue of this, since you spent half of the game just looking for these little bastards. The waypoint to the last alive enemy is a very good feature. During the last stage(?), with like 300+ enemies in it the fps dropped so low that it's impossible to finish the thing.

Will there be more maps for "Queen of the Hill" mode? Will you make brand new maps for it, or you'll just use chunks of already-made maps like this one?

• Honored Donor

View PostMblackwell, on 03 August 2018 - 09:09 PM, said:

When you map for IM your blockwalls will be purple. :(

Ok, now will the non-blocking walls not be purple? Posted Image

View PostSanek, on 04 August 2018 - 12:42 PM, said:

Will there be more maps for "Queen of the Hill" mode? Will you make brand new maps for it, or you'll just use chunks of already-made maps like this one?

By the sounds of things, there was a lot of manual work put into creating the waves, so it wouldn't be a trivial thing to make more levels like this. Then again they might code up a more dedicated system for it which makes it easier to implement.

User is offline   Hank 

View PostMicky C, on 04 August 2018 - 03:55 PM, said:

Ok, now will the non-blocking walls not be purple?

Because they are Red? At least on my comp.

User is offline   Mblackwell 

• Evil Overlord

View PostSanek, on 04 August 2018 - 12:42 PM, said:

Finally played "Queen of the Hill" mode for the first freakin' time!

The first 8 stages is very easy IMO, I never had less than 70 health until that stage. The concept is nice, but the map is way too big for a mode like that. The spiders is more of an annoyance than a real threat becasue of this, since you spent half of the game just looking for these little bastards. The waypoint to the last alive enemy is a very good feature. During the last stage(?), with like 300+ enemies in it the fps dropped so low that it's impossible to finish the thing.

It is rebalanced and has performance improvements in the next update (Update 3).

As for more maps: in the full game release we are planning on it, at least. As for what that will entail I can't say at this point.

User is offline   Mr. Tibbs 

PC Gamer: Ion Maiden's hero has come a long way since the 1990s

I had missed these pieces of art:
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

User is offline   Player Lin 

DooM style HUD mugshot sheet? Cool.

I don't want being an ass, but she's hot. :(

This post has been edited by Player Lin: 07 August 2018 - 06:18 AM

User is offline   Mr. Tibbs 

Civvie 11 discusses Ion Maiden alongside DUSK and Amid Evil in his contemporary round-up of shooters that play like the 1990s classics.

Share this topic:

• 136 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options