Duke4.net Forums: Ion Fury - Duke4.net Forums

• 137 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Ion Fury  "formerly Ion Maiden, launching August 15!"

User is offline   Phredreeke 

wouldn't it be more appropriate to write screenshots to a subfolder in the documents folder? generally more accessible for non-technical people than the appdata folder

User is offline   Danukem 

• Duke Plus Developer

View PostPhredreeke, on 17 March 2018 - 08:51 AM, said:

wouldn't it be more appropriate to write screenshots to a subfolder in the documents folder? generally more accessible for non-technical people than the appdata folder

The idea is that the folder is connected to your user account, which you could theoretically access from a different machine if you are "roaming" -- which sounds like a good idea.

I would suggest that a shortcut automatically be created inside the install directory which goes to the directory where the screenshots etc are being stored. Then dinosaurs like me could still find the stuff easily. I have just created the shortcut manually.

User is offline   Mark 

View PostMusicallyInspired, on 16 March 2018 - 06:24 PM, said:

Let's reserve our judgment until the full game comes out.

You know that's not how it works around here. :)

User is offline   Fox 

• Fraka kaka kaka kaka-kow!

Posted Image

User is offline   Mblackwell 

• Evil Overlord

View PostTrooper Dan, on 17 March 2018 - 02:44 AM, said:

I'm having a lot of fun playing through the preview levels again with the improvements. However, I have two issues to report.

One: Where the heck are my screenshots going? I press F12 and a screenshot is saved somewhere, but they are not appearing in the game folder like they did in the previous version.

Two: This is a minor issue that existed in the previous version as well. Concrete sprites spawned on extreme slopes will enter a glitched state where they bounce up and down in the air forever. You can see them doing this just to the right of the crosshair in the screenshot (taken with a different program because I could not find the F12 ones!) below. EDIT: Still can't find those screenies taken with F12 -- I'm starting to think they didn't get saved at all.

EDIT2: Found the problem.

Built Mar 11 2018 21:41:58, GCC 7.3.0, 64-bit
Using C:/3DRealms/IonMaiden/ for game data
Using C:/Users/Daniel/AppData/Roaming/Ion Maiden Preview Campaign/ for game data

Definitely not where I would expect to find my screenshots, since EDuke32 has never done that before.

Posted Image

Thanks for reporting this.

RE: Screenshots and data dir
It is different than EDuke32, but it is the expected "good" behavior for an application (similarly on Linux the files go under ~/.config/maiden), and in many cases applications might not have access to the folder where Steam installs the files.

User is offline   VGA 

Yeah, trying to save to the user's "Program Files" folder is a no-no for professional applications. Maybe there should be a message to say "Screenshot saved to blah/blah/blah.png" so there is no confusion.

User is offline   Zaxx 

• Banned

View PostVGA, on 17 March 2018 - 08:58 PM, said:

Yeah, trying to save to the user's "Program Files" folder is a no-no for professional applications. Maybe there should be a message to say "Screenshot saved to blah/blah/blah.png" so there is no confusion.

I'm sure this stuff will be worked out better by the time the full version drops because really the way screenshots work is not exactly ideal now. For example the Steam version should have ED32's screenshot feature turned off by default because people will use the Steam overlay anyway.

User is offline   SonicB00M 

User is offline   Zaxx 

• Banned

View PostSonicB00M, on 18 March 2018 - 04:19 AM, said:

snip

It was cool to hear some of the plans in terms of improving performance, frame pacing and the like though it was a bit shocking to hear that good old Polymost is still chugging along on OpenGL 1.1. :) I hope that eventually switching to a newer version will be an option for Voidpoint, especially if 3DR is planning on doing more stuff with Build.

This post has been edited by Zaxx: 18 March 2018 - 05:53 AM

SyFy Wire posted a piece on Ion Maiden yesterday. Nice to see the game get more publicity, even if SyFy Wire has become another trash website of faux-geek writers who do little more than push their politics. :)

User is offline   Sanek 

Listened the whole DF interview and really enjoyed it. :)
I actually felt the excitement that these guys have while developing a Build Engine game in 2018. They also talked about the improvements of the EDuke32 that we didn't covered here for the most part. I also like the idea of using the old tech of old unreleased version of games and releasing these games today. Especially if it's a Build Engine-related. And making the new games, of course. B)

User is offline   Zaxx 

• Banned

View PostSanek, on 18 March 2018 - 06:53 AM, said:

I actually felt the excitement that these guys have while developing a Build Engine game in 2018.

Yeah, it feels fresh to hear an actual developer who is working on a video game instead of some random dude from the marketing team with the rehearsed speeches. B)

• Duke Plus Developer

View PostSanek, on 18 March 2018 - 06:53 AM, said:

I actually felt the excitement that these guys have while developing a Build Engine game in 2018. They also talked about the improvements of the EDuke32 that we didn't covered here for the most part.

+1

It's especially interesting to hear about future polymost optimizations. But who is working on that besides Evan?

User is offline   Malgon 

Really enjoyed the video and found it quite interesting. Everything Evan spoke about was really well explained and you can tell a lot of effort is being put in to resolve performance issues and such. As mentioned, you don't seem to get many interviews these days with actual developers. Good stuff.

User is offline   HulkNukem 

I might be remembering this wrong, but when you fall a great distance, the game slows down and lets you press a button to scream before you die.
It seems weird to have a slow down mechanic for something so small, and though I haven't tested to see if absolutely everything in the game slows down, could this be a hint that there might be some time manipulation at some point in the game?

User is offline   NightFright 

• The Truth is in here

The sad info I extracted from the (interesting) video was that we won't see a release of the Prey prototype because Bethesda does not want. Reminds me of the situation with Blood. Sigh...

What I really like are the plans for a boxed version of the game. A floppy disk with integrated USB. Really nice! Hope even us poor Germans will have a chance to get their hands on that. :)

This post has been edited by NightFright: 19 March 2018 - 10:01 AM

User is offline   Nacho 

View PostSonicB00M, on 18 March 2018 - 04:19 AM, said:

*snip*

I came here to mention this video when it popped up on my feed. It was such a good interview from all parties. I really liked how they mentioned they were trying to make a good first person shooter using old tech and not just a shooter that looks retro which I think is a problem plaguing retro style games these days.

That boxed copy really has me excited to since it really does seem like they are very passionate about this project and knowing someone is doing what they love with full effort instantly has me won over.

User is offline   axl 

View PostNightFright, on 19 March 2018 - 09:58 AM, said:

What I really like are the plans for a boxed version of the game. A floppy disk with integrated USB. Really nice! Hope even us poor Germans will have a chance to get their hands on that. :)

I agree. I love those old game boxes. And hopefully they don't forget about the poor Belgians too B)

User is offline   Zaxx 

• Banned

Fred said worldwide shipping so fingers crossed.

User is offline   MusicallyInspired 

• The Sarien Encounter

I'd love a box!

Also, I finally got around to playing the second zone last night and I forgot all about the lack of a quick kick. Really bizarre as it was very jarring for me the first time. Especially since I wasn't required to break vents to enter them, I could just "use" them to open them. Really nice touch with that use option.

User is offline   axl 

View PostTrooper Dan, on 18 March 2018 - 12:40 PM, said:

It's especially interesting to hear about future polymost optimizations.

Forgive me for going slightly off topic here. But I'm a bit confused. What's the current situation on polymost vs polymer ? What is the future for the build games? I always thought polymost was to be superseded and ultimately replaced by polymer ?

User is offline   Mark 

That was before the community lost it's Polymer expert. I don't know what affect that has on the long term goal, but short term I don't see any major direction changes. I'm sure our devs can answer better.

User is offline   Khallos 

When the physical copy is released, I'm hoping that the dimensions of the box will be similar to the standard size back in the day. Indiebox was a company that started selling bigbox versions of indie games, but they were all in horrible chunky shapes that looked pretty ugly. It's gotta be taller than its width or depth.

User is offline   Zaxx 

• Banned

View PostKhallos, on 20 March 2018 - 12:29 PM, said:

When the physical copy is released, I'm hoping that the dimensions of the box will be similar to the standard size back in the day. Indiebox was a company that started selling bigbox versions of indie games, but they were all in horrible chunky shapes that looked pretty ugly. It's gotta be taller than its width or depth.

Did a quick Google search on the Rad Rodgers box since Ion Maiden will get the same treatment, this is what I found:

Looks neat.

User is offline   Micky C 

• Honored Donor

View PostMusicallyInspired, on 20 March 2018 - 11:43 AM, said:

I'd love a box!

Also, I finally got around to playing the second zone last night and I forgot all about the lack of a quick kick. Really bizarre as it was very jarring for me the first time. Especially since I wasn't required to break vents to enter them, I could just "use" them to open them. Really nice touch with that use option.

The vent option is nice, however you can't do this with fans.

Edit: Maybe they could make it so that pressing 'use' on a fan breaks it?

This post has been edited by Micky C: 20 March 2018 - 03:21 PM

• Duke Plus Developer

View PostMicky C, on 20 March 2018 - 03:03 PM, said:

Edit: Maybe they could make it so that pressing 'use' on a fan breaks it?

Breaks it with what?

User is offline   OpenMaw 

• Judge Mental

View PostTrooper Dan, on 20 March 2018 - 05:39 PM, said:

Breaks it with what?

She's got tits of steel? STEEL...! STEEEEEEL!

User is offline   Micky C 

• Honored Donor

View PostTrooper Dan, on 20 March 2018 - 05:39 PM, said:

Breaks it with what?

It could show a quick knock animation for the current weapon. Players would understand if fans are more fragile than the cyborg enemies.

Although this may or may not hamper the interactivity consistency of the game.

• Duke Plus Developer

Hmmm...imo the interact button should not break stuff. If they add melee animations for the weapons, that would be a good use for a quick melee key though.

User is offline   MusicallyInspired 

• The Sarien Encounter

My point is, I didn't notice the lack of a quick kick. I didn't miss it. I think the first time I played Ion Maiden I was all in Duke3D mode because that's really the only Build game I've been playing for years. But now I think Ion Maiden has settled itself in my mind as its own thing now and I'm not expecting Duke3D features from it anymore. If there ends up being some kind of quick melee option that'd be nice, but it won't be the worst thing in the world if it doesn't have it.

Share this topic:

• 137 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options