Duke4.net Forums: Shadow Warrior 2 (2016) thread - Duke4.net Forums

• 5 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Shadow Warrior 2 (2016) thread  "Originally Devolver Digital trademarks "Shadow Warrior""

User is offline   HulkNukem 

If I understand that right it sounds something similar to Borderland's/Rage's setup where you did main missions on each level first and then you had side stuff to do in those same areas later.
I'm not a fan of this approach to be frank; if I want to replay a level, I'll replay the level. I don't want to have it be a new objective, whether optional or not, even with minor changes to the level.

User is offline   Mr. Tibbs 

I think it's going to be a bigger departure than even BL2 or Rage were. They both have static geometry, while SW2 is going to be more like Diablo, where the environment is largely randomized. The designers have created tons of little levels and they'll be glued together inside of a larger level. I think they'll have a couple of static setpieces, but the contents will change depending on where you are in the campaign. It sounds like it's going to be all about the loot and co-op.

User is offline   Inspector Lagomorf 

• Glory To Motherland!

View PostMr. Tibbs, on 02 July 2015 - 04:20 PM, said:

I think it's going to be a bigger departure than even BL2 or Rage were. They both have static geometry, while SW2 is going to be more like Diablo, where the environment is largely randomized. The designers have created tons of little levels and they'll be glued together inside of a larger level. I think they'll have a couple of static setpieces, but the contents will change depending on where you are in the campaign. It sounds like it's going to be all about the loot and co-op.

:)

User is offline   LkMax 

Footage from Gamescom, similar to the one on E3 but with developer's commentary.

BTW, forgot to comment before that it's looking much better then it's prequel, the player can actually move now =P
And explore (which was a huge letdown on the reboot)

This post has been edited by LkMax: 08 August 2015 - 02:21 PM

Exciting games coming this year. Bombshell, Bombshell Prequel and especially this. Looking forward to Shadow Warrior 2 - and now I can even play Co-op with friends and have even more fun! :thumbsup:
Maybe one day in the future we will see a Lo Wang and Duke crossover. Thinking about Rush Hour, East meets West. :( Humor, guns and crazy monsters. One with blade and other with muscle/guns.. :)

Devolver shared a brief tease on Twitter. I'm so hyped!

https://twitter.com/...615742534791170

User is online   Lunick 

GIVE US DATES DEVOLVER

User is offline   Micky C 

• Honored Donor

The video makes me wonder what the level of destructibility in the game will be.

Man I can't wait for that game

User is offline   ---- 

Well, sort of off topic, but Hard Reset is getting an overhaul.

Main differences to the original:

- additionally to the shooter weapons you wield a futurisitic energy katana.
- human enemies now added.

Sounds it will play a lot more like Shadow Warrior now. :dukeaffirmative:

https://www.youtube....3&v=t13GKrC0Nc8

Releasedate is 'soon'.

It uses a new engine, rebalanced gameplay and is from a different publisher. So I think you will have to rebuy it.

This post has been edited by fuegerstef: 28 January 2016 - 09:36 AM

User is offline   HulkNukem 

I've owned Hard Reset since it came out and tried playing it twice; I like what I played but never got involved with it. Maybe this update is the excuse I need to finally play it.

• Honored Donor

The level design in the original was pretty terrible. Hopefully they've actually remade them for this version, but I doubt it.

It also seems a bit cheap that they're adding in a sword due to the success of Shadow Warrior rather than trying to add to or refine the game's own ideas.

This post has been edited by Micky C: 28 January 2016 - 02:46 PM

User is offline   X-Vector 

For some reason the gameplay part of the video reminds me more of Daikatana than Shadow Warrior.
A hyperactive mix of Romero's masterpiece and Duke Nukem Forever, to be more precise.

I lol'd, the sword animations, sounds, and the model too it seems, were just taken directly from Shadow Warrior.

User is online   Lunick 

We may as well call Hard Reset either Prototype Shadow Warrior or Shadow Warrior 0.5

For those wondering as well, Hard Reset Redux is a separate entry in Steam so I'm not sure if past owners will be required to buy it again or if there will be some significant discount.

• Honored Donor

I wouldn't be surprised if some kind of coupon appears in the inventory of people who own the original. I'm sure it'd need to be bought again though, like with Deus EX HR director's cut.

User is offline   MetHy 

I really liked Hard Reset, I even got 100% achievements.

But that's the thing, I played it so much I've hit the limit of what the game has to offer. Modern FPS, even the "retro style" ones, just aren't like Doom or DN3D, gameplay gets old relatively fast.

I'm really not sure if the new stuff in this re-release will make it enough to buy it and play it again; although I'd think about it if they gave me a discount coupon.

User is offline   NightFright 

• The Truth is in here

I played Hard Reset twice, and before they added the extra missions later on. Maybe the Redux version makes it worth returning to it for me. Looks like you also fight humans now, which wasn't totally necessary imho since I believe the game was all about you vs robots. Anyway, if they don't mess with the general mechanics of the original game too much, I may be in. And if you get a discount if you already own the game, of course. After all, still seems to contain much of the old stuff.

In general though, the new Doom and Shadow Warrior 2 remain my main titles I am looking forward to this year.

This post has been edited by NightFright: 02 February 2016 - 01:10 AM

New footage from a PAX stream.

User is offline   MetHy 

This looks cool. Even if they're overselling the non-linearility thing, with the freedom and the customization, it looks nothing like any FPS I know.

Then again I've never played Borderlands and what-not so maybe this kind of thing is already a thing and I'm just not aware.

I can't wait to try and exploit their open-world and RPG elements. I just hope gameplay will remain tight, I mean, sounds pretty hard to create tight and balanced gameplay if there really is that much freedom both in terms of where the player can go and how he can upgrade his character; add to that the 4 players co-op where anyone can pop in and out at any time.... how does a dev balance a FPS like that and how do they manage your enemies/supplies placement ?!

This post has been edited by MetHy: 23 April 2016 - 11:35 AM

• Honored Donor

It looks like it has the same problem as the first game of enemies that are bullet sponges.

User is offline   Striker 

• Auramancer

Shadow Warrior 2 is looking really fucking good. It seems to have a level design approach more like classic games, in that there are multiple paths and approaches to completing a level.

User is offline   Player Lin 

I don't mind bullet sponges...(more hates about get killed with few enemies' strikes...) and yeah, that's looking good, looking forward on that......but I don't want buy it when it's out with its full price, unless they(FHW) release new patches for the SW 2013...that 1.50 version is super buggy as hell for me... :D

This post has been edited by Player Lin: 23 April 2016 - 11:31 PM

• Honored Donor

I don't mind some enemies as bullet sponges either. But quite a lot of the original SW 2013 enemies were like that, with very little variety that way. My recollection is probably a bit skewed since I last played the game at a higher difficulty setting where even the basic enemies seemed to be able to repeatedly parry sword attacks and take a fair amount of hits from weapons (including a fairly useless-feeling rocket launcher). But then a game shouldn't try to inflate its difficulty by giving enemies more health like that.

View PostMicky C, on 23 April 2016 - 11:48 PM, said:

I don't mind some enemies as bullet sponges either. But quite a lot of the original SW 2013 enemies were like that, with very little variety that way. My recollection is probably a bit skewed since I last played the game at a higher difficulty setting where even the basic enemies seemed to be able to repeatedly parry sword attacks and take a fair amount of hits from weapons (including a fairly useless-feeling rocket launcher). But then a game shouldn't try to inflate its difficulty by giving enemies more health like that.

Yeah, maybe that's not a good idea when every enemies are bullet sponges in Insane difficulty of SW2013(So I said, screw that heroic mode, way too hard for me), but on Casual difficulty, they're just piece of cakes, I guess they just think give them more and more health on higher difficulty is challenge...(the weak firearms also the problem too)

EDIT: the EX mode should be the compromise for higher difficulty, but...even with all upgrades(firearms, katana and its skills), the enemies in Insane still take a while to kills...

This post has been edited by Player Lin: 24 April 2016 - 12:11 AM

User is offline   MetHy 

Heroic isn't any harder than Insane, the only difference is that if you die, you start over IIRC... so there were only one or two fights which were really challenging for me.

The main problem with SW indeed is that weapons aren't balanced. On Insane/Heroic you're going to use only two weapons 99% of the time : the katana and the rocket launcher; and when I say katana, I mean the forward-forward attack that is strong and heals you at the same time.

If you want to actually have fun and use every weapon, SW needs to be played on Hard, not above. So that's why i'm worried about balancing in SW2, because it sounds a lot more complicated to balance a game like that than a single player, linear streamlined one....

This post has been edited by MetHy: 24 April 2016 - 08:40 AM

• Honored Donor

I know this is technically the wrong thread, but how are you meant to deal with those guys in SW 2013 with the giant shields? I was always pretty annoyed at how doing something like shooting an explosive arrow into an exposed body part (e.g a leg) and detonating it didn't seem to do any damage which is completely un-intuitive.

User is offline   MetHy 

Get behind them and hit their backs.

Well, I tend hates about "you die, and restart from beginning/last checkpoint" or such designs(at least it has quicksave but not in Heroic mode, only checkpoint saves), but if it's fair/or not frustrating then I'm OK with that...but, after I completed my Insane run(with EX mode so I have all upgrades on my Lo Wang), I really don't like about the later levels that you needed deal with a lot of monsters, and I abuse quicksave/load to push my progress, but...sometimes it really made me want to rage-quit... :D

Specifically that unholy Chapter 16... deal with 2 or more of "damage-from-back-attacks-only-and-will-dash-to-you" monster and all other tough monsters like Shamans or some ones have shield...that's really a huge, huge mess and pain to deal with them...

The firearms balance problems was made that worse, since I still in bad skills with katana...even I know I should use that when can heals, but always end up get killed in seconds...

Yeah I know it still beatable(as I watched those Heroic run videos), but...it just not for me... :blink:
(Or, I should just leave higher/highest difficulty alone...)

I just hope FHW don't do the same shit on SW2 again, make firearms have better balance(or pretty much) with katana attacks/spells... :\

This post has been edited by Player Lin: 25 April 2016 - 06:42 AM

PC Gamer interview with Flying Wild Hog's Pawel Kowalewski (game designer):

Edit: New footage from Gamespot.

This post has been edited by Mr. Tibbs: 25 April 2016 - 01:07 PM

Share this topic:

• 5 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options