Duke4.net Forums: The Serious Sam Thread - Duke4.net Forums

• 12 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

The Serious Sam Thread  "In anticipation for SS4"

Who else thinks The Grand Cathedral is one of the best levels ever made? Duke's Hollywood Inferno should have been something similar to that level.

Personally, I prefer my final boss levels to be straight-forward bosses with no gauntlets to run through before hand, like Stadium.

User is offline   HulkNukem 

Don't like the leadup in the Grand Cathedral but I really like the fight out in the open yard just before the final boss. The sky getting darker and meteors crashing down was such a cool sight and made the fight feel really epic.
I prefer the Great Pyramid of the First Encounter though. The first fight was ridiculous at the time with how many enemies just poured out, and then once you beat it you have run down that really long path while this big ass alien is destroying the architecture you were just fighting in, absolutely dwarfing everything in his path. And then the UFO comes into view, the pyramid opens up, and you finish the fight up top and this guy just straight climbs up into it. The boss fight itself is a real gimmick but eh.

I also played this just last week with my brother on Revolution; we changed settings so your fire rate was crazy high and you had high health so you could rocket jump on top of that pyramid. I was really impressed that the final stage of that fight is actually on top of that same pyramid and isn't just a separate room in another part of the level.

User is offline   ---- 

Quirky casual game?

Oh let it be a videogame-character adaption of Broforce (although that is not really casual ... but then at least Lo Wang and Sam Stone are already with Devolver.).

User is offline   Micky C 

• Honored Donor

Does his emphasis on the word "blast" have any significance?

Looks like this is the game.

http://store.steampo...com/app/512250/

User is offline   MusicallyInspired 

• The Sarien Encounter

Hahaha I'm totally getting this. Finally a game that takes the insult fighting mechanic that Monkey Island pioneered and runs with it!

User is offline   Jolteon 

Since it's nearing the Holidays, I can't stop listening to this. :lol:

http://store.steampo...com/app/564310/

why

User is offline   Lunick 

What a mess

I don't see what's wrong with this? It's actually a good idea

User is offline   Engel220 

View PostKaijuTurtle, on 20 March 2017 - 05:17 PM, said:

Maybe there's something I'm not getting here, but I don't see anything negative about this. Unless it's directly interrupting Serious Sam 4's development or something like that then I fail to see any downside, and, if anything, it looks like a more advanced version of legacy support with a shitload of game improvements and the added convenience of an all-in-one game launcher and better mod support at no extra charge to the user.

This post has been edited by Engel220: 20 March 2017 - 05:38 PM

• The Sarien Encounter

I seem to already have Fusion. I just don't have SS VR.

User is offline   Lunick 

Serious Sam HD The First Encounter seems to load a whole lot faster through the Fusion version, I'm pretty impressed.

User is offline   Daedolon 

• Ancient Blood God

Rewriting history? What's wrong with separate Steam entries?

User is offline   Player Lin 

It looks like a new version of game with SSTFEHD+SSTSEHD+SS3+VR comes with one pack, so it totally unrelated to other exist released games, just a "updated" version with recently SS VR version of Serious Engine running...

And seems owner of all Serious Engine 3 games can get this one for Free, oh nice. :blink:

I don't too much worry about Serious Sam 4, Croteam already said VR projects won't interrupting SS4's development and they definitely still working on SS4, since I think that shit will be release for sure... just when it's done! :blink:

This post has been edited by Player Lin: 21 March 2017 - 05:58 AM

User is offline   Lunick 

View PostPlayer Lin, on 21 March 2017 - 05:53 AM, said:

I don't too much worry about Serious Sam 4, Croteam already said VR projects won't interrupting SS4's development and they definitely still working on SS4, since I think that shit will be release for sure... just when it's done! :blink:

As much as I'd like to trust Croteam, they have two Early Access titles on Steam, Serious Sam Fusion which is described as a Beta and a different upcoming game called SCUM to work on as well as Serious Sam 4. That's a lot of work.

User is offline   Player Lin 

Since Croteam is more like "supporting"(Gamepires do content works) on SCUM so I don't think it would taken too much their man powers... but yeah...they will be seriously busy. :blink:

This post has been edited by Player Lin: 21 March 2017 - 06:25 AM

Croteam is only the producer for SCUM.

Fusion/Serious Engine 2017 is the engine that SS4 is currently running on, to make it easier to integrate everything onto one platform. I'm guessing they're going open beta now so everyone can help them find bugs and as a result, speed up SS4 as well.

This post has been edited by PikaCommando: 21 March 2017 - 08:13 PM

View PostDaedolon, on 21 March 2017 - 02:49 AM, said:

Rewriting history? What's wrong with separate Steam entries?

What's wrong with having separate entries and also a combined entry?

• Honored Donor

View PostHulkNukem, on 21 March 2017 - 08:19 PM, said:

What's wrong with having separate entries and also a combined entry?

That defeats the purpose of the combined entry. I assume they've organised everything in such a way that an update to the engine pretty much automatically updates all the games. Making the games seperate again at this time would make things harder to manage.

Is it really that much extra effort choosing what game you want to play from the fusion menu?

The separate entries are staying as license checks (seeing which game you have so that game's content will be available in your Fusion).

• Honored Donor

View PostPikaCommando, on 25 October 2016 - 10:04 AM, said:

Personally, I prefer my final boss levels to be straight-forward bosses with no gauntlets to run through before hand, like Stadium.

Technically Hotel Hell is the gauntlet to run through before Stadium, as it's the building directly underneath.

User is offline   MrFlibble 

Ray Hardgrit posted a review of The First Encounter recently:
http://superadventur...counter-pc.html

That whole thing almost mimics my first impressions of Serious Sam back when it first came out; except when I saw the split screen I immediately made my older brother play it with me.
We only had a single mouse and keyboard, so him being the older brother got the traditional WASD + Mouse while I got stuck using the numpad (which was located on the left of the keyboard) I mapped it in a way that I could run forward, turn left and right, switch weapons in one direction, shoot, jump, and I think switch between first and third person. I couldn't aim up or down, strafe, or do much of anything, but its okay in co-op because you could just get infinite ammo and lives.
Eventually he got a Sidewinder joystick for Flight Sim, but I would use it in co-op for Sam when friends came over; this allowed me to strafe and aim up and down, and it also somewhat felt more like an arcade game.
I would also record a demo everytime we played and I would just watch them if I was alone.

I fucking loved First Encounter so much and I have a ton of childhood memories with it.

This post has been edited by HulkNukem: 30 March 2017 - 11:46 AM

• The Sarien Encounter

I remember seeing The First Encounter on a jewel case rack in a Radio Shack or something and my first impression was that it was an incredibly cheap knockoff of Duke Nukem. If only I knew how wrong I was. I mean, technically he IS a cheap knock off of Duke Nukem, but that isn't necessarily a bad thing. They totally embraced that and that's what makes it so awesome. I didn't ever consider it again until the HD remake came out and I played the demo on my XBox360 (which I only had because we lived in an upper/lower duplex and we had one room all the way in the basement that I used for my computer/music room). I quickly discovered my mistake and vowed never to judge a game by its box art (or jewel case rack placement) again.

User is offline   ---- 

I had loved the First Encounter most (it hasn't these terrible low grav-,constant jump-,gimmick-rooms that the Second Encounter is plagued with),

First I was unimpressed by it ... then the Kamikazes ran at me in the second level. :blink:

I only play BFE with the No-Reload-Mod* (and with that other mod that adds all the enemies from 1st and 2nd Encounter into it, adds the Sniper Rifle and Laser Cannon as full weapons into the game (not just as some secret weapons with 200 bullets over the course of the whole game) and places the DLC levels chronologically into the game ... like this it becomes the best of the three main games, IMHO).

*) If I want to empty my whole magazine for one pint sized enemy before having to reload I play DNF.

This post has been edited by fuegerstef: 31 March 2017 - 12:22 AM

User is offline   Striker 

• Auramancer

The whole point of Serious Sam Fusion is to integrate all of the games into one engine. This has the benefit of only having one codebase necessary to work with, the unification of the multiplayer communities, and from what I can tell this is likely going to be what SS4 is going to be integrated into as well. I'm impressed with it's performance so far, I can run it on a toaster with more graphical options enabled than the original release of Serious Sam HD.

This post has been edited by Striker: 03 April 2017 - 03:54 AM

Bogus Detour has been officially announced at last!

Share this topic:

• 12 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options