Duke4.net Forums: Total Meltdown assets - Duke4.net Forums

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Total Meltdown assets

User is offline   Fox 

• Fraka kaka kaka kaka-kow!

These are the files Nukey ripped some time ago from the PMPs.

Download: Art, Sounds

Notes:
  • The art has no transparency. However where should be transparent is always black (#000000);
  • The art use a color depth of 5-bit instead of 6-bit. In other words, RGB values range from 0-31 instead of 0-63;
  • Most art has a 16 colors palette, monsters use 64 colors and a few graphics arbitrarily use 256 colors;
  • Obviously the alternate palettes have been created by converting the tiles to Duke 3D palette;
  • The 3 status bar graphics are not associated with any tile number;
  • There are some blank tiles with zero dimensions, but that appears to have been an oversight of the developers;
  • E1L9.PMP uses different definitions for sounds (which is the equivalent of using a different USER.CON);
  • Tile 2512 is mirrored, but that's a mistake.

Attached File(s)

This post has been edited by Fox: 14 May 2015 - 09:51 PM

Never met an alien I couldn't kill Hehehe Classic Thanks Mr Fox and Nukey

This post has been edited by Turok 64 Jr: 12 May 2015 - 11:31 AM

User is offline   Fox 

I didn't do anything though.

View PostFox, on 12 May 2015 - 12:11 PM, said:

I didn't do anything though.

Well you did give out a link :)

User is offline   Mav3r1ck 

How do you remove the black background? is it the same method used to remove the pink background?

User is offline   Fox 

You have to use a image editor and set one of the colors transparent.

So just use GIMP to do this?

User is offline   Hendricks266 

• Weaponized Autism

I don't think GIMP is the best choice for working with paletted images. That said, what is your goal for working with these images?

I just wanted add these assets to my own personally modded duke 3d just to play around with the new stuff, that's all.

User is offline   Nukey 

View PostMav3r1ck, on 14 May 2015 - 04:28 AM, said:

How do you remove the black background? is it the same method used to remove the pink background?

View PostFox, on 14 May 2015 - 06:21 AM, said:

You have to use a image editor and set one of the colors transparent.

?

You don't have to modify the images at all. I dumped the targas to include alpha transparency, and tested them before releasing. The background colour doesn't appear in-game.

User is offline   Fox 

I believe that's not the case. Or at least that mortals could detect. The same is also true for the Duke 64 tiles.

User is offline   Nukey 

View PostFox, on 14 May 2015 - 07:39 PM, said:

I believe that's not the case. Or at least that mortals could detect. The same is also true for the Duke 64 tiles.

Attached thumbnail(s)

• Attached Image: duke0000.png

I tested it by trying to overwrite the PC explosions with the PSX version but the black background still appeared in Mapster32. The only thing I would need Gimp for would be to remove the backgrounds.

User is offline   Hendricks266 

• Weaponized Autism

View PostNukey, on 14 May 2015 - 07:19 PM, said:

You don't have to modify the images at all. I dumped the targas to include alpha transparency, and tested them before releasing. The background colour doesn't appear in-game.

Confirmed. It looks like most image viewers can't properly handle your TGAs. IrfanView doesn't display the transparency, and GIMP shows garbage. Ken's code in kplib works without issue.

User is offline   Nukey 

Ah, the images posted in this thread aren't my original uploads. That explains why they aren't working for anybody else.

The originals work fine in mapster32, and eduke32. All of the image viewers I've tested display them correctly, except GIMP. Geeqie displays them correctly, and with transparency as well. In any case, I wasn't aiming to make them appear correctly in image viewers, but in the actual game.

Ah, I was told to use Gimp to remove the backgrounds so that the images displayed correctly ingame. Nukey, would you be able to upload the correct images?

User is offline   Fox 

View PostNukey, on 14 May 2015 - 09:01 PM, said:

Ah, the images posted in this thread aren't my original uploads. That explains why they aren't working for anybody else.

Yes. I uploaded it on a more familiar format. I never assumed that none of my programs was reading them correctly.

This time I will re-upload the original to avoid any surprise...

This post has been edited by Fox: 14 May 2015 - 09:19 PM

User is offline   Nukey 

View PostMav3r1ck, on 14 May 2015 - 09:07 PM, said:

Ah, I was told to use Gimp to remove the backgrounds so that the images displayed correctly ingame. Nukey, would you be able to upload the correct images?

Looks like Fox has already re-uploaded them for me.

To clarify, image viewers that display the background as coloured pixels instead of transparent aren't necessarily displaying them incorrectly; They're just opting to show the pixel's colour component instead of their alpha component. The majority of image viewers that I've used seem to behave this way.

So the art definitions allow animations and monsters work in the game right? So would I just put that information in the duke3d.def?

User is offline   geomancien 

Fox, what software do you extract the sounds of Duke Nukem PSX?

Posted Image
Duke Nukem Radiation

User is offline   Fox 

Nukey ripped them from the PMPs. The best program I have found is Psound, however it fails to detect 100% of the PMP sounds and it's missing the Hertz.

and how do you extract the voice of Duke Nukem?

User is offline   Fox 

You have to check for each file.

I did it but the sound is distorted

User is offline   Fox 

I am not sure what you mean.

Here is what happens on my side

Attached File(s)

This post has been edited by geomancien: 20 May 2015 - 08:04 AM

User is offline   Fox 

That's because PSound assign a generic Hertz frequency. Why don't you use Nukey's rips?

because I'm trying to extract from the French version

User is offline   Fox 

You could try matching the Hertz to the US version using a audio editing software, but I am not sure if that would be right.

I'm about to try but I can not seem to find the right frequency

Share this topic:

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options