Duke4.net Forums: Hardware you should avoid at all costs - Duke4.net Forums

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Hardware you should avoid at all costs  "What's your experience with crapware?"

Person of Color, on 18 May 2015 - 06:18 PM, said:

Yeah they have cheaper ones.

Move to a real country. The problem is your currency is backed by bananas instead of Jewish debt.

Well, I do speak English fairly well and don't look like an immigrant at first sight so that could be a possibility...

Actually I'd love to.

User is offline   Person of Color 

• Senior Unpaid Intern at Viceland

Princess Twilight Sparkle, on 19 May 2015 - 11:38 AM, said:

Posted Image

That daughter clearly isn't white, but not a mulatto.

Seems like he wasn't good enough to betray his race with a real woman. What a shock.

Posted Image

User is offline   Radar 

• King of SOVL

So bronyism is frowned upon, but racism is condoned on this forum? OMG My inner-fluttershy is crying now and my inner-Applejack is frowning at your partiality. My inner-Twilight is wondering why your picture is a jpg, not a png; and my inner-Pinkie is wondering why can't this forum be more FUN! ISN'T THAT WHAT WRITING ON A FORUM IS SUPPOSED TO BE!? #beingabronyhurts

Spoiler

This post has been edited by Princess Twilight Sparkle: 25 May 2015 - 12:52 PM

>Being into black girls
>Racist

Pick one.

User is offline   Radar 

• King of SOVL

I'll take "neigh-ther" for 10 bits, Rainbow Dash.

This post has been edited by Princess Twilight Sparkle: 25 May 2015 - 02:44 PM

User is offline   Forge 

• Speaker of the Outhouse

I'd apple-jackhammer that black chick's pinkiepie while riding on the back of a pony; then I'd pull out and nut in a fluttershy eye.

This post has been edited by Forge: 25 May 2015 - 02:14 PM

User is offline   Radar 

• King of SOVL

In the name of all things oats and apples, what the flying feather did you just bucking say?

I'd make a peanut butter baby with her.

Then abort it. I'd abort it so fucking hard.

I'm literally like Cheryl from Archer when it comes to kids. They're just fucking vile.

Oh yeah, that's right, we're talking about hardware.

The Pentium 4 was a piece of shit, just like most Western women.

User is offline   Inspector Lagomorf 

• Glory To Motherland!

Can anyone chime in on the Netgear N300? While I'm sure ASUS is the way to go, my budget is somewhat limited at the moment.

This 'ere in particular.

This post has been edited by Comrade Major: 31 May 2015 - 05:35 AM

User is offline   Forge 

for a standard N300 802.11n they all pretty much perform the same.
get whatever's cheaper between that, a Mediabridge's Medialink, or a Linksys

Spend $10 more.

http://www.newegg.co...168&ignorebbr=1

User is offline   Forge 

this netgear off the same page you posted is a good deal
http://www.amazon.co...49TJ25YXXZ30FAX

and you can probably flash it:
http://www.dd-wrt.co...router-database

User is offline   Paul B 

I am going to post something that goes against the IT grain. Since everyone is complaining about SOHO and residential crap hardware, I am going to target what "supposedly" runs the internet. Devices where people get paid top dollar to administer and who are bribed with money to be kept quiet.

These enterprise hardware appliances are junk, plagued with bugs, backdoors, vulnerabilities, quirks and high price tags and aren’t much better than your typical 50 dollar home router or switch. These devices are made by: Posted Image

Products made by this company give their end users a false sense of security, buggy interfaces, hardware backdoors built right in from the vendor for the NSA to monitor your internal networks while also allowing China to have their way with your data. http://money.cnn.com...ever/index.html

I wish large companies would stop funding this crap but the company loyalty is so high due to the salaries they make from supporting this junk people are force to grin and bare it. As long as large companies continue to fund their expensive shit, they won’t go away anytime soon.

People need to have a conscience and just boycott their crap regardless of the size of their pay cheque. In the last 3 weeks I’ve had to throw out a few of their low end managed switches because of hardware problems they were causing on the network. Unfortunately the rest of the network is run off the same crap.

Cisco also charges an arm and a leg and their enterprising licensing is an expensive nightmare. Typically, the only difference between their low end product line and their top end isn’t a change of hardware but a different firmware which is uploaded to their device to unlock features that have been shut off or hidden within the device until the product license is upgraded.

I have no respect for this company that touts itself as a leading networking and security appliance. Nothing but expensive junk.

This post has been edited by Paul B: 06 June 2015 - 10:06 AM

I have a couple of old Catlyst 2950 switches that have more swollen caps than you can count in side. I have to replace them, my lab is down to one switch.

Cisco's closed source platform and hardware backdoors creep me out. The irony is that their training courses provide you with the perfect foundation to use their competitors hardware.

That said though I really love IOS. I find it easier to visualize with a command line. I'm having a lot of issues getting an ACL properly working on Tomato for a public system at a location. The public computer needs to access the printers, and with no inter VLAN routing I'm stuck throwing it on the internal network. I can't ping the public system but it can ping everything else. I'm not sure it it's a bug or limitation or what. I'm doing it right.

This post has been edited by Person of Color: 06 June 2015 - 07:52 PM

User is offline   Inspector Lagomorf 

• Glory To Motherland!

So I'm a week into my Netgear router and it's functioning quite well. The wifi signal booms into the parking lot and it's getting decent (though not maximum possible) speed.

If I start running into problems, I'll try as suggested previously and install a custom firmware.

My EVGA GPU lasted for only a year.

User is offline   MusicallyInspired 

• The Sarien Encounter

I've got an EVGA GTX 460. Had it since 2010. No issues ever, besides dust gathering.

MusicallyInspired, on 07 August 2015 - 06:57 PM, said:

I've got an EVGA GTX 460. Had it since 2010. No issues ever, besides dust gathering.

Well, I DID push it to the limits very often, I admit. :)

Share this topic:

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options