Duke4.net Forums: Hardware you should avoid at all costs - Duke4.net Forums

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Hardware you should avoid at all costs  "What's your experience with crapware?"

User is offline   Radar 

• King of SOVL

AMD is my go-to processor for mom-and-pop computers. Quad-core AMD's with 12 gigs of ram are always on Costco's website for under $500.

User is offline   Person of Color 

• Senior Unpaid Intern at Viceland

Yeah but the A and E series chips suck. Although the laptop A10 is pretty nice.

They aren't true quads. They share some resources like the FPU.

This post has been edited by Person of Color: 03 May 2015 - 08:21 PM

User is offline   Radar 

• King of SOVL

WELP. I bought an A8 for my parents and I like it. All my dad uses it for is checking the news. And I wanted to backup my MLP library. ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

This post has been edited by Princess Twilight Sparkle: 04 May 2015 - 05:26 PM

Which you magically torrented to seem relevant in a thread once. No one is buying your trolling, this isn't even a long con at this point.

User is offline   Radar 

• King of SOVL

No, it's troo.

My transformation happened something like this:

Posted Image

User is offline   Lunick 

Posted Image

User is offline   Inspector Lagomorf 

• Glory To Motherland!

>Is accused of trolling
>Does the same thing again that caused him to be accused of trolling

:D

This post has been edited by Comrade Major: 06 May 2015 - 03:20 AM

User is offline   Radar 

• King of SOVL

Posted Image

Posted Image

User is offline   Radar 

• King of SOVL

Posted Image

User is offline   Forge 

• Speaker of the Outhouse

is that supposed to be some half-full or half-empty thing and the purple rabbit drank it?

• Glory To Motherland!

Get your brony shit off of my hardware thread you poofter (and I mean that in a non-bigoted way).

This post has been edited by Comrade Major: 07 May 2015 - 10:59 AM

View PostPerson of Color, on 06 May 2015 - 07:32 PM, said:

Posted Image

Careful Princess Twilight Sparkle or you'll become like this guy below!

Posted Image

This post has been edited by DustFalcon85: 09 May 2015 - 05:47 AM

lol everyone is going to think that's Jeff Goldblum except me and Jimmy.

The router in that first post is not bad. it's just that there's an issue with DNS servers provided by your ISP (which are usually shit). you can easily fix most issues by changing to an OpenNIC DNS server for your area. For some reason the router can have lookup time issues with certain PC setups and whatever DNS your ISP might use.

I say this because i ran into that exact issue. anything that uses a constant data stream was fine, but anything that needed lookups, like browsing the net, caused weird slowdowns and other bad issues. Changing the DNS fixed literally everything.

This post has been edited by Carl Winslow: 12 May 2015 - 12:03 PM

• Glory To Motherland!

View PostCarl Winslow, on 12 May 2015 - 12:01 PM, said:

The router in that first post is not bad. it's just that there's an issue with DNS servers provided by your ISP (which are usually shit). you can easily fix most issues by changing to an OpenNIC DNS server for your area. For some reason the router can have lookup time issues with certain PC setups and whatever DNS your ISP might use.

I say this because i ran into that exact issue. anything that uses a constant data stream was fine, but anything that needed lookups, like browsing the net, caused weird slowdowns and other bad issues. Changing the DNS fixed literally everything.

Thanks for the tips. I may reorder that router and revise my original post if your assessment turns out to be true. Its not expensive to the point where I'd feel burned if I tried to use it again.

TP-LINK = TOILET PAPER LINK

GET AN ASUS

Stop being a PC parts hipster, not everyone's got an extra 50 dollars to throw at something that can be fixed with 20.

Also not everyone wants to use fucking linux or cares about how much manual setup you can do on a single thing.

This post has been edited by Carl Winslow: 15 May 2015 - 06:53 AM

• Glory To Motherland!

View PostCarl Winslow, on 15 May 2015 - 06:37 AM, said:

Stop being a PC parts hipster, not everyone's got an extra 50 dollars to throw at something that can be fixed with 20.

Well... Admittedly, I do. And ASUS was one of the brands I was considering.

User is offline   Ronin 

View PostPerson of Color, on 07 May 2015 - 06:06 PM, said:

lol everyone is going to think that's Jeff Goldblum except me and Jimmy.

User is offline   TerminX 

• el fundador

I have a bunch of ASUS routers... they're OK. All consumer networking hardware is more or less garbage. They all get their chipsets from Broadcom and they're all constrained to using the SDK Broadcom provides, which means that for any given generation of router, 99% of them will be running the same chipset and stuck on the same kernel version forever... ancient kernel versions that are typically years out of date by the time any of these products make it to market, at that. All of the ASUS routers I have are RT-AC66Us, which I believe went to market in 2012. All of them are stuck on Linux version 2.6.22.19, which was already 3 years old at that point. Beyond that you're looking at hardware build quality and software features, which ASUS has done well with so far.

Do not expect any consumer wireless hardware to run for months at a time under heavy load without issue, though. It just isn't happening. Even my RT-AC66U flashed with Tomato will reboot itself every now and then if it feels like it. I've got one of the other ones that still runs their ASUSWRT firmware set up to where it can usually run several weeks without issues, but even that isn't foolproof. Unfortunately, good 802.11ac hardware intended for commercial use costs a LOT.

User is offline   Paul B 

View PostTerminX, on 15 May 2015 - 01:18 PM, said:

Unfortunately, good 802.11ac hardware intended for commercial use costs a LOT.

Might I recommend running a small box with pfsense. https://www.pfsense.org/ You can even control what chipset you use.

In case people were wanting to hear an alternative solution. =) Or they also offer their own in house custom chassis's now.

That's just my two pf-cents.

This post has been edited by Paul B: 15 May 2015 - 03:30 PM

View PostCarl Winslow, on 15 May 2015 - 06:37 AM, said:

Also not everyone wants to use fucking linux or cares about how much manual setup you can do on a single thing.

They make entry level routers for like $30, dude.

View PostTerminX, on 15 May 2015 - 01:18 PM, said:

I have a bunch of ASUS routers... they're OK. All consumer networking hardware is more or less garbage. They all get their chipsets from Broadcom and they're all constrained to using the SDK Broadcom provides, which means that for any given generation of router, 99% of them will be running the same chipset and stuck on the same kernel version forever... ancient kernel versions that are typically years out of date by the time any of these products make it to market, at that. All of the ASUS routers I have are RT-AC66Us, which I believe went to market in 2012. All of them are stuck on Linux version 2.6.22.19, which was already 3 years old at that point. Beyond that you're looking at hardware build quality and software features, which ASUS has done well with so far.

Do not expect any consumer wireless hardware to run for months at a time under heavy load without issue, though. It just isn't happening. Even my RT-AC66U flashed with Tomato will reboot itself every now and then if it feels like it. I've got one of the other ones that still runs their ASUSWRT firmware set up to where it can usually run several weeks without issues, but even that isn't foolproof. Unfortunately, good 802.11ac hardware intended for commercial use costs a LOT.

I wouldn't trust these under ultra heavy loads 24/7, but for low to moderate bandwidth usage they're pretty much tanks.

I stick with the Asus RT-N66U because of reliability reasons. It runs much colder, seems to be more stable software wise, and most devices still don't support 802.11ac. I haven't had any spontaneous crashes or reboots with them yet. It's only been two samples so far but they get tons of use. My brother has had an Asus WRT-N16 for over a year now and his is just as solid.

If I were maxing out my insane cable connection (127/37) 24/7 I bet these little bastards would drop like flies.

This post has been edited by Person of Color: 16 May 2015 - 08:44 PM

View PostPerson of Color, on 14 May 2015 - 08:02 PM, said:

TP-LINK = TOILET PAPER LINK

GET AN ASUS

That's stupid, I'm not going to invest R$400 on something when I can get a similar thing for less than R$100 that more than does its job.

If Asus offers a single antenna basic router, I could see getting another one. But so far my TP-Link has been working well. If it dies, I could get an Asus.

If Viper had to make do with the shit we're forced to use over here, he'd probably either kill himself out of disgust or become a genius of getting the most out of chink parts. It's the South American computer variation of Cuban mechanics, who have perfected the art of ogrelike, preprehistoric mechanical engineering in cars.

BTW I know a guy who's 40 and into MLP, if Radar is older than that he's hopeless. Not a bad show though. You'll see grown up bearded manchilds fawn over The Hobbit and that's also stuff for children, so...

This post has been edited by Duke of Hazzard: 17 May 2015 - 02:26 AM

User is offline   Mark 

After reading the posts I was wondering.... Am I in the minority with everything connected by cable and no wireless? I get the feeling I am.

Secondly, many years ago I had a Linksys router which after a few years would randomly slow down connect speeds and I would have to hit the reset button every now and then. I assumed it was a faulty router so eventually I bought a new Linksys router. I find the same issue with the new one. It sure gets annoying.

This post has been edited by Mark.: 17 May 2015 - 05:31 AM

User is offline   Forge 

• Speaker of the Outhouse

That's your network provider monitoring your internet activities and reducing your bandwidth to save themselves some pennies.

View PostDuke of Hazzard, on 17 May 2015 - 02:18 AM, said:

If Viper had to make do with the shit we're forced to use over here, he'd probably either kill himself out of disgust or become a genius of getting the most out of chink parts. It's the South American computer variation of Cuban mechanics, who have perfected the art of ogrelike, preprehistoric mechanical engineering in cars.

I can't believe that costs a hundred "R" dollars. How much is that if you convert it from Monopoly money to actual greenbacks?

This post has been edited by Person of Color: 17 May 2015 - 01:15 PM

View PostPerson of Color, on 17 May 2015 - 01:15 PM, said:

I can't believe that costs a hundred "R" dollars. How much is that if you convert it from Monopoly money to actual greenbacks?

That kickass router you linked to costs $129. In my currency it's around R$390. Add in hefty import taxes and consider the minimum wage in the country is around R$800, and you get the picture.

Yeah they have cheaper ones.

Move to a real country. The problem is your currency is backed by bananas instead of Jewish debt.

User is offline   Radar 

• King of SOVL

Posted Image

Share this topic:

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options