Duke4.net Forums: 3D Realms is hiring for new Build Engine Game - Duke4.net Forums

• 6 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

3D Realms is hiring for new Build Engine Game  "Get in touch!"

User is offline   Sixty Four 

• Turok Nukem

Yeah High Treason = great map

This post has been edited by DukeyGhostIAMTUROKARGHHH64: 27 March 2015 - 01:21 PM

User is offline   Tea Monster 

• Polymancer

If this is what I think it is, it's the only chance we'll get to see this before:

1. Man walks on Mars

or...

2. Fusion powers all the appliances in your home.

GO GO GO Fred!

Why Build engine?

I guess if people still using ID Tech 1, then we could go another step backwards and go back to Build, no?

Sorry, I don't think old school gameplay justifies going back to old tech. It can be done on new tech as well.

Hope I'm not repeating myself some site is saying it is base off of Duke3D Engine

http://www.gamewatch...ld-engine-title

This post has been edited by Turok 64 Jr: 27 March 2015 - 03:56 PM

User is online   Lunick 

View PostTurok 64 Jr, on 27 March 2015 - 03:54 PM, said:

Hope I'm not repeating myself some site is saying it is base off of Duke3D Engine

http://www.gamewatch...ld-engine-title

That's not what it says. They mention that Interceptor are looking for people to work on the Build engine, the engine that Duke 3D was created with, they could have mentioned Shadow Warrior or Blood too but they are citing Duke4 as their source so dont expect any new information unless it comes from Fred himself :D

3DRealms Doesn't owned The Blood Ip They sold the rights along time ago so it's not blood unless they somehow got it back

also my bad Created on is the correct term

This post has been edited by Turok 64 Jr: 27 March 2015 - 05:29 PM

User is offline   Tea Monster 

• Polymancer

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the only IP that they have the rights to which would demand that they use this particular engine would be...

:D

I thought that Warner Bros Owned the Ip?

It won't be barebones Build because they'll have to use the Win32 version aka Mapster which is simply better.

And yes Blood IP is owned by Warner Bros., I think it's by proxy since they may own Atari who publishes the games.

User is offline   Mark 

Somebody change the subject. QUICKLY.

User is offline   Micky C 

• Honored Donor

No one's saying anything directly so it's hard to tell what people are implying, but let's all not forget that 3DR is not allowed to create and sell any new content regarding Duke, even on the Build engine.

It's hard to know who should apply to this without having more details. SuperPros like Zykov Eddy and Daedolon would be awesome since they consistently produce high quality, incredibly polished work. Well, if Daedolon actually released some maps anyway Posted Image
I definitely wouldn't consider myself though. Lack of time, lack of freedom to do what you want, and I always find the polishing stage of mapping tedious. My mapping skill can also be inconsistent at times; I probably wouldn't be able to pull off the clean-looking design like the above guys could.

User is offline   Hank 

Duke Nukem and Blood are not the only Build games. :D

Thanks to Corvin I came across a gem game called Fate . Very advanced AI and game play. Since they are looking for programmers, maybe they are planning to do something like that or even better.

Either way, this here old fart is getting interested :D

User is offline   Radar 

• King of SOVL

OMG.

Mappers:

Gambini, Oostrum bros

Con Coders:

Dan Gaskill

Engine coder:

TerminX

Art design:

Geoffrey, Cage

Music/sound:

Norvak

Project leader:

James Stanfield

I would pay for this game 5 times over if these guys were in it.

• Honored Donor

I'm pretty sure James Stanfield is in the same boat as me with regards to not wanting to get paid to make games; not being able to do what you want. It's just a hobby. They'd want their own ideas and project manager I imagine. Plus a lot of those guys are retired or at least semi-retired from mapping/modding.

Why are people assuming that it's going to be based on a pre-existing IP? IMO it could just as easily be an entirely new and original game idea. Probably even more likely since they don't have to go through the hassle of acquiring those IPs as well as limiting themselves to the scope of that IP.

View PostHank, on 27 March 2015 - 06:39 PM, said:

Duke Nukem and Blood are not the only Build games. :D

Thanks to Corvin I came across a gem game called Fate . Very advanced AI and game play. Since they are looking for programmers, maybe they are planning to do something like that or even better.

Either way, this here old fart is getting interested :D

That game does look interesting were do I go to get the game?

• Turok Nukem

I was under the impression it's an all new game I think that could be a cool idea. If the character was cool it could work but if we have a mediocre character who has nothing that grabs interest and dull not good then that would take a toll, the character makes the world different.

I take it it'll be based on EDuke32? That's, like, the only viable alternative.

User is offline   Hank 

View PostTurok 64 Jr, on 27 March 2015 - 07:01 PM, said:

That game does look interesting were do I go to get the game?

right here :D

keep in mind it's just the demo, the actual game was never released ! :D

This post has been edited by Hank: 27 March 2015 - 07:35 PM

User is offline   Fox 

• Fraka kaka kaka kaka-kow!

View PostMicky C, on 27 March 2015 - 06:53 PM, said:

I'm pretty sure James Stanfield is in the same boat as me with regards to not wanting to get paid to make games;

I am with you!

This post has been edited by Fox: 27 March 2015 - 07:39 PM

• Turok Nukem

But it's not about pay it's about being a part of something from 3D Realms but being able to get some money out of it is to cover the time that will be needed as a lot of people normally have there own life and projects going on which they would rather work on that for free then other work. But don't get me wrong either I understand what you are saying this just my view is all

This post has been edited by Duke64: 27 March 2015 - 07:49 PM

User is offline   HulkNukem 

View PostDuke64, on 27 March 2015 - 07:46 PM, said:

But it's not about pay it's about being a part of something from 3D Realms but being able to get some money out of it is to cover the time that will be needed as a lot of people normally have there own life and projects going on which they would rather work on that for free then other work. But don't get me wrong either I understand what you are saying this just my view is all

I think there's more to it than that; being paid to do a project means there are expectations along with it, like deadlines or quality control, while if you are just doing it for fun you can pretty much do whatever you want in however much time you want to do it in.
Some people do really well and mesh in a team working on the same project; others do much better by themselves. Some do amazing work with creative freedom and some do amazing work with restraints.
I'm interested to see where this project goes. I hope it will have enough substance to carry it besides being on the build engine; no doubt there will be an amount of curiosity and scrutiny as to why an old engine is being used for a new game.

This post has been edited by HulkNukem: 27 March 2015 - 09:04 PM

• Turok Nukem

No need for expectations when the community knows what it wants the expectations are known and it's been placed into position where this specific community can apply for it or not. Not trying to go against you not at all just saying if I was told make map for 3DR I feel the confidence that I could and many others should feel confident to. I just doubt it would be as controlled as you think. This is a build engine possible release.. did I just say that in 2015 ? Let's do it take a risk because it is one.

I think the best things 3DR could do with Build, the community has already done with DNF and Duke Hard mods.

User is offline   Mike Norvak 

• Music Producer

View PostBrony-Aur Stomp, on 27 March 2015 - 06:44 PM, said:

OMG.

Mappers:

Gambini, Oostrum bros

Con Coders:

Dan Gaskill

As mappers: Davox, Bob Averill, Loke and ofc Eddy come to my mind...
Oostrum Bros would be mind blowing as well... Oh and DanM!

I doubt Gambini would be interested in a project like this, I think Dan is retired of coding as well...

View PostBrony-Aur Stomp, on 27 March 2015 - 06:44 PM, said:

Music/sound:

Norvak

They already have ppl for that, and if they haven't, they won't look for someone called Norvak :D :D :D despite his work sounds good or not...

This post has been edited by Mike Norvak: 27 March 2015 - 11:06 PM

User is online   Lunick 

View PostMike Norvak, on 27 March 2015 - 10:18 PM, said:

They already have ppl for that, and if they haven't, they won't look for someone called Norvak :D :D :D despite his work sounds good or not...

But I still love this!

• Honored Donor

View PostDuke64, on 27 March 2015 - 07:46 PM, said:

Well fair enough but a lot of people aren't in positions to drop what they're doing and work on a game on a daily basis. There's jobs, families, education etc..

User is offline   MusicallyInspired 

• The Sarien Encounter

Interesting. :D

• Turok Nukem

Well I am not in school so scratch education now I have a son a wife family and a job where I work all week but I also have a hobby which I do attend to daily and if I am able to some way get paid for this hobby that would help. At the same time i'm not worried about pay so much and more interested in being involved. But those type of things are considered I wouldn't leave my job I would just take on 2 jobs. :D

I am all around the clock guy plus myself I am mostly just a mapper so am just speaking in those terms :D

Anyway good luck to anyone who is interested I think with the right stuff this could turn out to be a good thing

This post has been edited by Duke64: 28 March 2015 - 09:33 AM

• Turok Nukem

hehe I don't know much but I did inform Merlijn van Oostrum today about it through chat and he seemed to think it was pretty cool I thought he would have heard by now but he didn't he seemed happy and said thanks! but I had to run.

User is offline   Steveeeie 

I would apply to do some arts but I don't believe my relationship with interceptor is all that good.

Share this topic:

• 6 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options