Duke4.net Forums: 3D Realms is hiring for new Build Engine Game - Duke4.net Forums

• 6 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

3D Realms is hiring for new Build Engine Game  "Get in touch!"

User is offline   Steve 64 

What did you do Steveeie?

User is offline   Micky C 

• Honored Donor

IIRC he might have been on the Duke Nukem Reloaded team. Not sure of anything beyond that. Now let's never speak of it again.

User is offline   HulkNukem 

This is going to be a Build engine Bombshell game, isn't it

User is offline   Steveeeie 

View PostTurok 64 Jr, on 28 March 2015 - 02:30 PM, said:

What did you do Steveeie?

I was pretty critical of them when they were doing Rise of the Triad and burnt many bridges :D

User is offline   Lunick 

View PostHulkNukem, on 28 March 2015 - 03:30 PM, said:

This is going to be a Build engine Bombshell game, isn't it

Fred didn't mention that he was making a FPS so you might be on the mark.

• Honored Donor

I don't think the build engine would be very well suited to an isometric shooter.

User is offline   Daedolon 

• Ancient Blood God

Wrong.

• Honored Donor

You think the original build engine would work as an isometric shooter?

Even if you used eduke32, the 2.5D nature of the maps would make it difficult to add details to walls and things like that.

View PostMicky C, on 29 March 2015 - 03:20 AM, said:

You think the original build engine would work as an isometric shooter?

Even if you used eduke32, the 2.5D nature of the maps would make it difficult to add details to walls and things like that.

Who said it had to be an isometric shooter? They already have an iso game for Bombshell, it's called Bombshell
Doesn't mean there can't be an FPS Bombshell on the build engine to build up the property more :D

User is offline   Person of Color 

• Senior Unpaid Intern at Viceland

User is offline   DavoX 

• Honored Donor

I applied, here I'm crossing fingers :D

DavoX should get hire I played that stadium map on steam it is really Awesome

I'd love to, but I don't think I've been mapping long enough to even partially qualify for this.

User is offline   Cage 

Applied.

Awww please don't tell me you bought 3drealms to make a Duke 3d sequel / prequel / spinoff on Duke 3d's ACTUAL old engine and then actually expect people to take it seriously and even buy it!
If you are even remotely thinking of doing something that anybody on this forum could have done ages ago as a fan project and then expect people to take it as canon to the series just because it has the 3drealms logo attached to it, you have to be fucking batshit crazy.

I would like to believe that what Fresch is planning here is much more clever than I am suggesting but knowing his lack of vision and his superficiality, I really believe this is it...

If you plan on using the build engine to create a different fps game or something that ties in with duke 3d or even some brutal doom type of mod and name it Brutal Duke, you are destined to fail...

Man... Duke Nukem is cursed. Somebody really cursed this franchise after Duke 3d's success...
I think it was a gipsy witch that got involved with this curse because it seems to last "forever"...

This post has been edited by Mr.Deviance: 29 March 2015 - 01:10 PM

View PostMr.Deviance, on 29 March 2015 - 01:00 PM, said:

Awww please don't tell me you bought 3drealms to make a Duke 3d sequel / prequel / spinoff on Duke 3d's ACTUAL old engine and then actually expect people to take it seriously and even buy it!
If you are even remotely thinking of doing something that anybody on this forum could have done ages ago as a fan project and then expect people to take it as canon to the series just because it has the 3drealms logo attached to it, you have to be fucking batshit crazy.

I would like to believe that what Fresch is planning here is much more clever than I am suggesting but knowing his lack of vision and his superficiality, I really believe this is it...

If you plan on using the build engine to create a different fps game or something that ties in with duke 3d or even some brutal doom type of mod and name it Brutal Duke, you are destined to fail...

Man... Duke Nukem is cursed. Somebody really cursed this franchise after Duke 3d's success...
I think it was a gipsy witch that got involved with this curse because it seems to last "forever"...

I'd buy it. I'd love to see a Duke 3D sequel, prequel or spin off but that cannot happen as Gearbox holds the rights to Duke... which I personally think is a mistake as all they've done is act like a kid hiding a toy by sitting on it saying "na, na, na you can't have it!". And Duke's not cursed, it's only the wrong people have the rights.

User is offline   Mark 

C'mon Negative Nancy,er... I mean Mr. Deviance. Only 6 or 7 lines of speculation and trashing. Surely you have more than that in you. Sheeesh.

Duke 3d was getting really old by the time DNF was about to come out.
Not only that DNF didn't help Duke Nukem become popular and relevant again, it actually did the opposite instead.
DNF managed to kill almost all of Duke's popularity and relevance that Duke 3D still had after so many years had passed since it came out.
Randy Pitchford had preached about how proud he is that he invested and bought the Duke rights from 3drealms and he was so upfront about how Duke will have such a long and prosperous future from now on.
But then, reality struck him when DNF came out.
Now, he knows the franchise has been totally tarnished and can't ever be taken seriously again after DNF's horrible fuckup so he will obviously not make any more duke nukem games.
On the other hand, he won't sell the Duke Nukem rights to somebody else, because he is too proud of himself and would mean he would officially admit that everything he said positive about buying the Duke ip was a huge ass mistake and fuckup on his part.
He much rather coward in a corner and dust everything under the rug and pretend nothing happened, rather than fucking sell the Duke ip to somebody that is actually interested in doing something with it...

Yes Duke is cursed. If this ip wouldn't be cursed, it would not go through so many impossible turns of events.
First, 3realms fail to deliver it, then gearbox delivers a complete failure of a game, then they hide the whole ip in a box and forget about it.
Now a rich faggot with pixelated hipster dreams, that thinks he is cool and talented, goes on and buys 3drealms, making sure that if Duke is ever getting sold back to 3drealms in the future, it will most likely end up on the wrong hands again.

Look at this mess. Duke has no fucking chance to ever make it back to where it was back in duke 3d days, not even close.
It's dead, done for, ruined and kaput, all thanks to a bunch of stupid / jewish mother fuckers.

This post has been edited by Mr.Deviance: 29 March 2015 - 01:32 PM

User is offline   Inspector Lagomorf 

• Glory To Motherland!

Mr.Deviance, you should consider using paragraphs sometime. I hear they make posts easier to read.

And you know we don't tolerate making fun of the Jews on this forum. :D

This post has been edited by Comrade Major: 29 March 2015 - 01:46 PM

User is offline   ReaperMan 

View PostComrade Major, on 29 March 2015 - 01:43 PM, said:

Mr.Deviance, you should consider using paragraphs sometime. I hear they make posts easier to read.

No one actually reads anything Mr.Deviance writes. They just look at block of text and then call him an idiot.

Mr. Deviance going off about Duke when this isn't even about Duke

Heck it could be Shadow Warrior or whatever is on that engine of there's

This post has been edited by Turok 64 Jr: 29 March 2015 - 02:11 PM

User is offline   DNSKILL5 

• Honored Donor

What if it's not going to be a Duke game... but a NEW IP altogether?

There hasn't been a black BUILD engine hero.... I always thought maybe there would one day be one since there's Lo Wang, and it would make sense and would be pretty cool to play as a bad ass black man lol.

But honestly if it was a new Duke game that would be awesome but I thought they weren't allowed to do that? Or is it only if it's done on the BUILD engine?

Please can it be sprite based too, I would love to help out but I just hope if it's going to be old school that it at least has sprites :D

This post has been edited by gerolf: 29 March 2015 - 02:28 PM

• Honored Donor

View PostHulkNukem, on 29 March 2015 - 07:35 AM, said:

Who said it had to be an isometric shooter? They already have an iso game for Bombshell, it's called Bombshell
Doesn't mean there can't be an FPS Bombshell on the build engine to build up the property more :D

Nobody did, but due to the extreme lack of information all we can do is speculate.

With Davox and Cage potentially joining the team we could be in for some good stuff! Imagine the Duke 3D community all-star modders working together on a brand new Build game... could be so epic.

View PostMicky C, on 27 March 2015 - 06:53 PM, said:

No one's saying anything directly so it's hard to tell what people are implying, but let's all not forget that 3DR is not allowed to create and sell any new content regarding Duke, even on the Build engine.

This post has been edited by Micky C: 29 March 2015 - 02:27 PM

View PostMicky C, on 29 March 2015 - 02:27 PM, said:

Nobody did, but due to the extreme lack of information all we can do is speculate.

With Davox and Cage potentially joining the team we could be in for some good stuff! Imagine the Duke 3D community all-star modders working together on a brand new Build game... could be so epic.

I haven't been here very long, relatively speaking, but to me it's nice to see this community has a chance to get some exposure in the form of a retail game on an engine they've been playing with for many years.

*edit* Also, to throw it out there, it doesn't matter what engine is used, talent will shine even if an engine is outdated.

This post has been edited by HulkNukem: 29 March 2015 - 04:11 PM

User is offline   DavoX 

• Honored Donor

Frederik, is there any chance that you might want to hire more than one or two people? I belive a game nowadays, even if it's using an engine like build, would require at least a few level designers to get it done in a relatively short time.

EDIT: I just read that you're looking for level and game designers in plural, that's great.

This post has been edited by DavoX: 29 March 2015 - 03:01 PM

User is offline   DNSKILL5 

• Honored Donor

Also more level designers than just one or two can also add more to the gameplay (some people make space levels better than city levels and vice-versa)

User is offline   Forge 

• Speaker of the Outhouse

Fred is making a game from all that alpha and beta material he inherited.
Thus build.

Just wonder if he's going to go the shareware route as well.

View PostMr.Deviance, on 29 March 2015 - 01:28 PM, said:

Duke 3d was getting really old by the time DNF was about to come out.
Not only that DNF didn't help Duke Nukem become popular and relevant again, it actually did the opposite instead.
DNF managed to kill almost all of Duke's popularity and relevance that Duke 3D still had after so many years had passed since it came out.
Randy Pitchford had preached about how proud he is that he invested and bought the Duke rights from 3drealms and he was so upfront about how Duke will have such a long and prosperous future from now on.
But then, reality struck him when DNF came out.
Now, he knows the franchise has been totally tarnished and can't ever be taken seriously again after DNF's horrible fuckup so he will obviously not make any more duke nukem games.
On the other hand, he won't sell the Duke Nukem rights to somebody else, because he is too proud of himself and would mean he would officially admit that everything he said positive about buying the Duke ip was a huge ass mistake and fuckup on his part.
He much rather coward in a corner and dust everything under the rug and pretend nothing happened, rather than fucking sell the Duke ip to somebody that is actually interested in doing something with it...

Yes Duke is cursed. If this ip wouldn't be cursed, it would not go through so many impossible turns of events.
First, 3realms fail to deliver it, then gearbox delivers a complete failure of a game, then they hide the whole ip in a box and forget about it.
Now a rich faggot with pixelated hipster dreams, that thinks he is cool and talented, goes on and buys 3drealms, making sure that if Duke is ever getting sold back to 3drealms in the future, it will most likely end up on the wrong hands again.

Look at this mess. Duke has no fucking chance to ever make it back to where it was back in duke 3d days, not even close.
It's dead, done for, ruined and kaput, all thanks to a bunch of stupid / jewish mother fuckers.

Time to summon Brownfarted.

DOOKIUS! POOPTICK! SCATICOTIA!!

Hail to the Dookie baby!

This post has been edited by DustFalcon85: 29 March 2015 - 07:12 PM

User is offline   Fox 

• Fraka kaka kaka kaka-kow!

Awww please don't tell me you bought 3drealms to make a Duke 3d sequel / prequel / spinoff on Duke 3d's ACTUAL old engine

You know that's not the case, they have other projects planned.

take it as canon to the series

As if a series like this has any sort of continuity.

DNF did not affect Duke popularity negatively just like Doom 3 to Doom. What happened is that there was a lot of interest in DNF, and that's all that was lost.

He won't sell the IP because that's what big videogame companies do.

This post has been edited by Fox: 29 March 2015 - 07:54 PM

Share this topic:

• 6 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options