Duke4.net Forums: Tutorials & Resources - Duke4.net Forums

• 6 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Tutorials & Resources

View PostMark., on 25 November 2013 - 04:49 PM, said:

To start the whole process, are you familiar with making models or sprites right now in any modeling or graphics program?

Unfortunately, I'm not. Based on what I think I understand from what I've read here, the weapons are modeled in a 3D program, then colored over, which I'm sure I could do (if that's actually right)
And the next step, actually making an animation out of it and putting it into the game, well that I've just got no idea.

I understand not having the desire to make a full tutorial - I'd be more than happy to do it a step at a time, and based on what I've read in other threads here, I THINK i could piece it together if I just had the first steps.

User is offline   Hendricks266 

• Weaponized Autism

View PostKeepsakeMoose, on 25 November 2013 - 10:39 PM, said:

Unfortunately, I'm not. Based on what I think I understand from what I've read here, the weapons are modeled in a 3D program, then colored over, which I'm sure I could do (if that's actually right)
And the next step, actually making an animation out of it and putting it into the game, well that I've just got no idea.

Starting in a 3D modeling program is one way to produce the weapons as put into the game, whether you are rendering the weapon into a sprite, or using the 3D model itself, or both. Other artists have the patience to draw weapons completely by hand. Some do a combination of other weapons from games, mods, and TCs, ideally with enough new creative impulse to call it something more than a sprite rip.

I would be qualified to write such a tutorial from start to finish, and in fact this is not the first time one has been requested. I am also on fall break from college, so I have ample time to do so. The question is whether or not I will feel motivated enough to devote the length of time required--whether I will wake up tomorrow and feel the creative flame that drives me to make mods or document something on the wiki or add a feature to EDuke32.

User is offline   DavoX 

• Honored Donor

Please do it Hendricks266!

User is offline   Striker 

• Auramancer

Misfit Model 3D with MD3 Export poly limit removed. (Raised from 4096 to something incredibly absurd.)

https://shadowmaveri...limitremoved.7z

User is offline   Mark 

I tried out your hacked version and it does indeed convert and save high poly md3 models. But do they work in games? I haven't tried any yet.

User is offline   Striker 

• Auramancer

View PostMark., on 03 March 2014 - 04:11 PM, said:

I tried out your hacked version and it does indeed convert and save high poly md3 models. But do they work in games? I haven't tried any yet.

Yes, they do.

Posted Image

User is offline   Plagman 

• Former VP of Media Operations

Looks pretty plain with just the diffuse. Do the normal/spec maps apply as is or do they use different methods?

User is offline   Kyanos 

I set up my new PC with all my most commonly used open or free software.
Attached Image: Capture.PNG
This list may be handy for someone wondering what programs to use to work with Eduke32, or at least for me firing up a new PC again some day ^_^

User is offline   Master Fibbles 

• I have the power!

I suppose this as good a place as any to post this:

MakeHuman, an open source modeling and rigging program, recently (I'm not sure when) changed their license to be CCO. Previously, there were restrictions on the use of the exported model (you had to basically rebuild it to use it in things like the HRP, if I recall correctly).

The program is also out of the beta/alpha stage I remember it being in the last time I was looking at this type of stuff.

User is offline   Mark 

Sounds like good news. I'll have to google search the program again. I don't remember if I was impressed with it or not last time I checked it out.

User is offline   blizzart 

I´ve just found this Online-tool for creating quick normal maps:

http://www.smart-page.net/smartnormal/

User is offline   DavoX 

• Honored Donor

How would people feel or receive a full set of tutorials from the very basics to the most advanced stuff? I'm planning on doing that with english and spanish subtitles... Sometimes it's easier to learn if you watch someone else do it for you.

User is offline   Mark 

My browser must be too old. The smartnormal home page is blank.

Davox: Make a tutorial or two and see how people like them. I'm sure you have had the displeasure of watching some truely horrible tuts on youtube where the person did not prepare properly and makes mistakes and excuses for things. It would have almost been better if they didn't make it. If enough of us think you have a good style then I say go for it.

I would really really want to see updated tutorials with example code for the con coding Wiki.

This post has been edited by Mark.: 08 April 2015 - 03:16 PM

User is offline   blizzart 

View PostMark., on 08 April 2015 - 02:56 PM, said:

My browser must be too old. The smartnormal home page is blank.

Don´t know, what Browser you are using, but it works fine with latest Firefox here.

Here is an older version running on Flash:
http://www.smart-pag...t/smartnormal1/

User is offline   Mark 

thanks,that works

That would be nice if someone made tuts on how to do basic stuff like coding and art ect I a visaul learner but I had to read coding and do different things with art ect took me couple months to learn still learning :)

User is offline   Mortalc13 

Does anyone know what the default frame number for idle in 3ds max 8 is? just recently started to create some models to help out with the nuclear winter and caribbean HRP's but don't know the default idle frame, any help is much appreciated!

View PostMortalc13, on 24 April 2016 - 09:29 PM, said:

Does anyone know what the default frame number for idle in 3ds max 8 is? just recently started to create some models to help out with the nuclear winter and caribbean HRP's but don't know the default idle frame, any help is much appreciated!

Use 'NPherno's .md3 Compiler' to check what the first frame is by importing the object into the program. It might be blank and you'll have to name it.

User is offline   Mortalc13 

Okay, i'll have to check it out when i get home, thanks for the reply :angry:

User is offline   Cage 

I've just made a time-lapse video of working on some sprites for the Supplice Doom TC. Check it out:

More coming soon!

User is offline   Micky C 

• Honored Donor

Holy cow, that detail work is amazing!

User is offline   stumppy84 

Yes, as always great job Cage!!

User is offline   Cage 

The next video is up! This time I'm working on decoration sprites for the levels, part #2 and #3 coming soon!

User is offline   brullov 

• Senior Artist at TGK

Great work, Cage! Inspiring.

User is offline   HulkNukem 

Really inspiring awesome work Cage! How long does it typically take to do an average sprite like a bush?

User is offline   brullov 

• Senior Artist at TGK

Hey, I've made a video of my drawing process, how to draw isometric pixel art tree. Enjoy!

User is offline   Jblade 

if I remember right there was a art utility that would be able to tell you what map files a certain art tile was used in...does anybody remember this or was it a fever dream?

User is offline   Hendricks266 

• Weaponized Autism

View PostJblade, on 22 January 2020 - 11:34 PM, said:

if I remember right there was a art utility that would be able to tell you what map files a certain art tile was used in...does anybody remember this or was it a fever dream?

Roma Loom's GRPViewer.

User is offline   Roma Loom 

• Loomsday Device

View PostHendricks266, on 23 January 2020 - 01:15 AM, said:

Roma Loom's GRPViewer.

Ahaha. At first I was like what? But then remembered that I've added this feature to find and view freshly created HRP textures ingame.

Attached thumbnail(s)

• Attached Image: grpv_list_related.png

User is offline   ViDi 

Don't know if this is still useful.

Ty's Duke Build

Attached File(s)

Share this topic:

• 6 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options