Duke4.net Forums: Wolfenstein: The Old Blood - Duke4.net Forums

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Wolfenstein: The Old Blood  "Standalone Prequel for The New Order"

User is offline   MetHy 

Oh hey this is 50% off on Steam atm. I just bought it.

User is offline   MetHy 

I'm in Chapter 3 and I'm enjoying it a lot so far. Perhaps even more than the original game. The pacing is really good, lot's of action, very little cutscene or chit chat, but still some good lore (letters and stuff) to read if you're interested.

It's obvious the devs made this with the principle that people played the original, which is good, because we stepped right into the action.
I'm really enjoying the new wepons, too.

The only thing that put me off was a really long "sneaking" segment at the start of the game. They also upped the difficulty of those, since they were too easy in the original. At some point I had to sneak past 4 heavy armors, I couldn't make it, died quite a lot... (Playing on I Am Death Incarnate (not the hardest, but the one before, like I did first time I played the original.) Until I tried to make a run for it, which worked without barely taking any dmg. So much for the sneaking.

This post has been edited by MetHy: 15 June 2015 - 09:24 AM

User is offline   MetHy 

Me again, looks like I'm clogging the thread but it's just nobody else seems interested in this game.

Which is a shame because, I'm just done replaying the game on Uber, and I hold an even greater opinion of it now.

At first I was disappointed perks didn't carry on when starting over on another difficulty but in the end it was good because difficulty was spot on, and doing the perks is also interesting.

Like I said pacing is excellent, there isn't many dialogues to go through, and those are short and interesting enough anyway. There is also no bullshit "errands" segments like in the original.

Level design is excellent almost the entire game. In the original game there were a few maps which had excellent level design, maps in which you could go through the place in different ways while having enemy placement so good, no matter where you went, the situation was interesting... but here, it's like this almost the entire game. We get navigated from map to map smoothly and hours fly by.

Gameplay is excellent honestly, the weapons are satisfying, difficulty is spot on, situation are varied and always interesting with just enough freedom given to the player on how to tackle them, enemies varied and intelligent just enough, there is a lot of movement involved in the firefights, etc.

I only have two more grips:
- the whole "zombie" segment kinda sucks
- the Wolfenstein 3D-like "dream" levels are awful. Level design is abyssymal (by Wolf3D standard), animation of enemies is terrible (sometimes they shoot but it doesn't even show...), there is no point in collecting anything or finding the secrets.. I feel like these guys couldn't make a good retro FPS even if they wanted to, though they probably just didn't bother.

I'll probably keep playing and get the few pieces of gold i'm missing as well as give a try to the "challenge" maps. One of the best modern FPS i've played. I don't know what you guys have against it.

This post has been edited by MetHy: 19 June 2015 - 08:25 AM

User is offline   xenoxols 

I loved it. IMO, it was exactly what I wanted out of a new wolfenstein game. TNO was good, when I actually could do something other than listen to people talk or run pointless errands. Not to mention the (near) lack of miniguns! The Old Blood fixed that stuff. Making the minigun one of the primary weapons was a good move, as I ended up using that more than anything else. It just felt like an actual wolfenstein game, not a game using the title and the concept of nazis with super technology but going about it in a way that is very dissimilar to all the other wolfenstein games. Well, I haven't played 2009 but I heard it wasn't that great anyways.

User is offline   HulkNukem 

The Wolf3D levels are a huge fucking annoyance because they aren't balanced properly. An enemy will be in the pain animation but still fire off a shot that takes off 20-40 health everytime and your run speed is way too slow.
Near the end of an Uber runthrough (thats the second hardest difficulty right?) and almost have every collectible collected. All I have after that is to beat the challenges and then I've 100% both New Order and Old Blood

User is offline   MetHy 

I got a glitch with the achivements. I beat all Nightmare levels and didn't get the achievement for beating them all (which is stupid because that achievement is redundant anyway, since there is also an achivement for each single level, which I did get). I checked online and apparently it's a common glitch, sometimes it doesn't trigger. i'd have to play the entire game again and it may trigger, or may not....

User is offline   Fox 

• Fraka kaka kaka kaka-kow!

How difficult it is to get the aspect ratio right?

Posted Image

User is offline   Inspector Lagomorf 

• Glory To Motherland!

That just looks messed up like a bad Half-Life 2 mod. They couldn't have textured the floors or ceilings, like with the WolfenDooM mod?

User is offline   MetHy 

I've tried the challenge maps and it's tons of fun, very acardy. Also the achivements related to them are real achievements, you have to deserve them.

Plus it means you can just pick up and play for some action, which is something TNO was severaly lacking.

I kinda feel like replaying TNO now but the thought of all those dialogues and errands put me off. Goddamn. So glad this one isn't like that.

This post has been edited by MetHy: 20 June 2015 - 07:02 AM

User is offline   Sixty Four 

• Turok Nukem

I really like this game it is indeed nice. I made two videos before

Here you go I call the game by this name :)

User is offline   HulkNukem 

View PostComrade Major, on 20 June 2015 - 06:01 AM, said:

That just looks messed up like a bad Half-Life 2 mod. They couldn't have textured the floors or ceilings, like with the WolfenDooM mod?

Because that's not how Wolf3D actually was; these are 1:1 faithful recreations with new Wolf weapons

User is offline   Player Lin 

View PostHulkNukem, on 20 June 2015 - 11:13 AM, said:

Because that's not how Wolf3D actually was; these are 1:1 faithful recreations with new Wolf weapons

And the secret nightmare level in TNO one also 1:1 faithful recreations to Wolf3D.

I failed to see any complaints about those nightmare levels since they're just easter eggs levels. :?

But I agree those nightmare levels have some balance problems, but not about enemies, it's those new TNO/TOB weapons, too many ammo to deal with them.

This post has been edited by Player Lin: 20 June 2015 - 09:25 PM

User is offline   MetHy 

View PostPlayer Lin, on 20 June 2015 - 09:20 PM, said:

I failed to see any complaints about those nightmare levels since they're just easter eggs levels. :?

They are supposed to reward the player for exploration, they are supposed to be a cool nod to the roots of the franchise, they are supposed to be a challenge of some sort since there are achievements linked to them.

It fails at everything of that. It plays a lot worse than the original game, they failed to even reproduce animation of enemies properly, they're an absolute chore and bore and the only thing I thought was "let's hope I get lucky and find the key right away so I can get out of here asap"

Plus the last achievement related to them, which by essence was useless because redundant anyway, is glitched and you might have to replay the entire game just for that, in the hope that this time around the achievement won't glitch on you (which might happen, i've seen people say they played the entire game twice, doing all nightmare twice, and didn't get the achievement either time).

Fail, fail and fail. It's like they took a shit on the roots of the franchise only so people think "lol the original sucked compared to this new one", or they just didn't care enough to put some work into this and to properly respect the original.

The basic idea of those levels was good, but if in the end it's less than half-assed, they shouldn't even have included them. They're ironically the worst thing about this game.

Anyway - I started replaying TNO. Re-playing TNO will probably make me like The Old Blood even more in comparaison though.

This post has been edited by MetHy: 21 June 2015 - 12:47 AM

User is offline   Alithinos 

Personally I didn't liked the 'New Order'.

Wolf3d was the first FPS I ever played, and I played it on SNES specifically, and then Return to Castle Wolfenstein was an epic, awesome, innovative game that I played for years...
Its multiplayer specifically was innovative and fun, and we owe class-based and objective-based multiplayer to that game really. I look at other modern FPSs like Battlefield 3 + 4, and I think "Look how they copied Wolfenstein, and now Wolfenstein doesn't even have multiplayer".

Wolfenstein of 2009 was a letdown for me, but even me back then couldn't expect that there could come another Wolf game I'd like even less.

My frustration with New Order came from the very first seconds the game supposedly gives you control of the character. The game starts at an environment so tight you can't even move, and it has a timer so before you have time to press the keys and see what each do, and move around to see how the game responds to keystrokes, you DIE. Another huge thing I disliked was that it took about 45 minutes for the game to actually give me a gun and let me shoot with it. Come on, its a FPS game for shake! And its an FPS where traditionaly story plays little importance, and yet the first hour or so of this game has you with extremely long cutscenes where it takes character's control from you, or it has you doing chores unrelated to shooting.

I could care a bit more for its story if it wasn't cliche and didn't felt like one of the many b-movies that come around every now and then. Also I didn't liked that later on I had other people, 'allies' with me all the time. Part of what made Wolf 3d + RTCW great was that feeling of being alone, helpless, away from civilization and friendly faces, in the wasp's nest.

The technical side of the game didn't helped either. idTech5 is a mess. Some textures never loaded, and often I looked into the void. Annoying screen tearing, and grainy image.

I gave up on it and felt there were more interesting, funnier games to play. I didn't uninstalled it as I still think I might give it yet another chance at some point, but haven't touched it for months.

While I don't disagree with you Alithinos, I believe that ''helpers'' makes the game more realistic. Yeah I know, Duke 3D, Wolfenstein, Doom etc. isn't supposed to be that. However, adding that the person/main character has some kind of feelings and weaknesses makes the character much more interesting. I really liked both TNO and TOB. :thumbsup:

User is offline   Alithinos 

Perhaps some more depth in the character of BJ would be good, and I could like and enjoy it. But constantly having to babysit and do chores for these fools, and hear them telling me what to do all the time, just got in my nerves.

User is offline   MetHy 

View PostAlithinos, on 06 January 2016 - 04:38 AM, said:

My frustration with New Order came from the very first seconds the game supposedly gives you control of the character. The game starts at an environment so tight you can't even move, and it has a timer so before you have time to press the keys and see what each do, and move around to see how the game responds to keystrokes, you DIE. Another huge thing I disliked was that it took about 45 minutes for the game to actually give me a gun and let me shoot with it. Come on, its a FPS game for shake! And its an FPS where traditionaly story plays little importance, and yet the first hour or so of this game has you with extremely long cutscenes where it takes character's control from you, or it has you doing chores unrelated to shooting.

I could care a bit more for its story if it wasn't cliche and didn't felt like one of the many b-movies that come around every now and then. Also I didn't liked that later on I had other people, 'allies' with me all the time. Part of what made Wolf 3d + RTCW great was that feeling of being alone, helpless, away from civilization and friendly faces, in the wasp's nest.

The technical side of the game didn't helped either. idTech5 is a mess. Some textures never loaded, and often I looked into the void. Annoying screen tearing, and grainy image.

I gave up on it and felt there were more interesting, funnier games to play. I didn't uninstalled it as I still think I might give it yet another chance at some point, but haven't touched it for months.

You should try The Old Blood. It's all about gameplay, little cutscenes, no errands, etc Plus gameplay is a LOT better than in TNO. TOB is TNO done right.

User is offline   LkMax 

Only after playing The New Order for the second time that I noticed how much unskippable cutscenes (or "disguised" cutscenes how I like to call them) the game have. It's really bad because the action is interrupted all the time with scenes I've already seen and don't really care, and it's not worth it just to replay the good bits.

TOB is certainly better then TNO (both in having less cutscenes and having a more alternate WW2 feel instead of futuristic shoother), but I wish it also didn't have the few but long unskippabke cutscenes it had (specially the intro one), it just hinders replayability. At least it had the challenge levels, but it's not the same thing.

This post has been edited by LkMax: 31 January 2016 - 04:23 AM

User is offline   MetHy 

Yeah, plus TNO's gameplay is very limited. Play the game twice, and you've hit the limit of what the gameplay has to offer, and you've already mastered the game. There is really no depth at all in the gameplay. And like you said, it's all ruined by the "cinematic experience".

Gameplay was really improved in TOB, it has a lot more depth. That and they got rid of most of the "cinematic experience".

TNO is a disposable game, typical of the mainstream of action games of this era. Play once or twice, "live the cinematic experience", and then there is no reason to replay it whatsoever, you can put the thing in a bin.

TOB I'd replay more.

Share this topic:

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options