Duke4.net Forums: [ RELEASE] GRAVEYARD - Duke4.net Forums

• 4 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

[ RELEASE] GRAVEYARD  "just another walk in the park"

User is online   Mark 

( Be sure to install the 2 patches ( in order ) listed at the bottom of this post. Sorry for the inconvenience. )

No, this isn't just another screenshot. Its finally being released.

This started out as a small bonus map for the upcoming Decay TC but has since grown into it's own standalone project. It has been about 2 years in the making in between other projects.

I will admit this has not had as much beta testing as it should so enemy and weapon balance might not be ideal. This is my first attempt at adding in those elements. Up
until now I've always been just an builder, so I expect you may have some suggestions after you have played this and I'll be happy to hear them and possibly add some fixes in.
Special thanks go to Chicken for playing the maps and pointing out dozens of texture, sprite and clipping issues. I still can't decide if I love him or hate him for pointing out so
many to fix. :lol: There were a few more features and puzzles I wanted to add but I told myself " enough already "

So... after such a great sales pitch, here we go.

======================================================================
THIS LEVEL IS NEITHER MADE BY OR SUPPORTED BY 3D REALMS.

Title : GRAVEYARD

Author : Mark.

Other Levels : Ancient Rome ( released unfinished )

Description : A dark and scary trip that starts at the side of the road near a cemetary and leads you to the very depths of hell itself. You know, just an average day.

Additional Credits To : Mblackwell, Chicken, Daedolon, Terminx, Hendricks266, Fox, TeaMonster, TrooperDan, and others for helping solve problems with models, con coding, and
beta testing. A full credits screen is located somewhere in the first map. Be sure to look for it.

* Play Information *

Episode and Level # : 1 episode with 3 levels and a 4th bonus level
Single Player : Yes
DukeMatch 2-8 Player : No
Cooperative 2-8 Player : No
Difficulty Settings : Not implemented or tested but some might remain since some original enemy code is present
New Art : Yes
New Music : Yes
New Sound Effects : Yes
New .CON Files : Yes
New enemies : Yes
=====================================================================

* Construction *

Base : 3 new levels from scratch plus a familiar bonus map recreation
Level Editor Used : Mapster32
Construction Time : 100's of hours over the last 2 years on and off. It was a long slow process learning how to make models and do con coding while doing everything else.
Known Bugs/Problems : To be determined after you guys start playing

=====================================================================

*Important Information*

Installation : Unzip the contents of the Graveyard.zip file into a clean folder and add your copy of DUKE3D.GRP into that folder. Double click on Eduke32.exe to run the

game. Make sure that you have a key set for the flashlight ON/OFF ( backspace key by default ) and make sure the "custom content folder" in the Eduke32 startup box is set to

the "assets" folder. Then configure your controls and off you go....

Please use the included older version of eduke32 from March of 2014. Versions after this one made changes to the water walking behavior of enemies and will cause some AI

problems. Graveyard was made for playing with 32 bit rendering and Polymer and my personal preference is trilinear filtering. It will be unplayable and dark without Polymer due to

the fact that most lighting is derived from Polymer's SE lights and use of TROR will probably be glitchy in Polymost. There is player dialog throughout the levels so be sure to play

with the sound on.

Important Notes : When killing spiders you can kick, stomp (by holding USE) or shoot them. But you must aim a little bit above them.

Here is the download link.... http://dukeworld.duk...t/tc/graveyard/

Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image
Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

ADDED: Here is a patch to fix a few gameplay and cosmetic issues that were pointed out by some players. The main bug fix was the nun not disappearing from the gate and blocking the player's way to the end of the first map. This is a small 370kb zip file that contains files for the "assets" folder of the mod so unzip it into there. Let it overwrite the previous files.

ADDED AGAIN: Sorry for the mistake but here is a second small patch to fix the issue of the missing statue and broken chair models that the first patch messed up. I included a text file with instructions in the zip but will post it here too.
graveyardpatch2 instructions
1. unzip the patch to your main folder
2. drag the file " graveyard.def " into the assets folder and let it overwrite the old file
3. drag the two ".md3 " files to the " highres/sprites/props " folder and let it overwrite any older files

Attached File(s)

This post has been edited by Mark.: 07 June 2015 - 04:44 AM

User is offline   Mblackwell 

• Evil Overlord

WE LOVE YOU MARK!

This TC is pretty damned funny, scary, and has lots of action.

Edit: I hope you don't mind I added a couple of quick snaps to your OP to entice people.

Edit2: Darn Tumblr resizes them. I'll upload the full size ones elsewhere later.

User is online   zykov eddy 

I've been waiting for this for years...

Downloading now!

User is online   Mark 

MB: Yeah, in the excitement of posting I forgot all about a few pics.

This post has been edited by Mark.: 15 January 2015 - 03:53 PM

User is offline   Mblackwell 

• Evil Overlord

Sorry for the random chatter, but I re-uploaded the images for you with full size versions and fixed the gamma to be what it is in-game (1.3).

User is offline   Tea Monster 

• Polymancer

Yayyy! Amazing work Mark. Scary and funny in parts. Glad to see this released!

User is offline   David B. 

I'll try this soon after work, it looks very interesting.
It's always a good new to see a mod finally becomes reality !
Big Thanks !

User is online   blizzart 

Great work, Mark.
It´s always great to see a mod which was made with polymer in mind from the beginning. Awseome work on lighting, models, textures and on and on.
I´ve just tested it for some minutes but it seems to be very optimized. Didn´t have that much framerate drops, even on my nVidia GT635M. Very good job. I need to buils up my desktop PC again to play it which has a slightly better video card (GTX550Ti).

Anyways, I can´t use the flashlight. It just shortly flashes on an off when I use the key for it. Maybe this problem is related to my video card or drives (although the latest drivers are installed). Is the flashlight supposed to be a point light or a spot light?

I have similar problems with my own mod, where suddenly spot lights aren´t shown anymore.

[EDIT]: Forget about my flashlight issue. I noticed in the eduke32.log, that the Intel graphic chipset was used. I forced the nVidia card to render it and everything is fine (even no framerate drops anymore). :lol:

Just one question: didn´t you used normal maps on that grass texture in earlier versions? I just ask because I want to use a grass texture in my mod, too (with normal maps). Is it such a FPS-killer?

This post has been edited by blizzart: 14 January 2015 - 05:21 AM

User is online   blizzart 

sorry, double post.

This post has been edited by blizzart: 14 January 2015 - 05:21 AM

User is online   Mark 

I think I might have had the normals for grass at one time. I have an older card than you and I remember framerate starting to drop as I added more areas and stuff. So I started cutting back on a few things. I also removed a lot of the grass and weed models that were all over the first map.

This post has been edited by Mark.: 14 January 2015 - 05:31 AM

User is offline   Sixty Four 

• Turok Nukem

Gave it a try, and I lag pretty bad at times. Please don't just assume I have a bad PC it's not the best but I can run Wolfenstein The New Order at 30-50 fps and with this I am seeing about 9-23 fps while looking at the big area. While in some of the areas where I am facing away from the entire graveyard the fps goes up a lot even saw a 93 fps for a moment so I really enjoyed those spots. Don't know if there something I can do to run better but it's probably just me and my pc going to need a new one soon :/ so I traveled the map trying to look away from all of the greatness towards the middle of the map. But I still saw all of it just piece by piece.

From what I could manage to do, I like it a lot darkness is my favorite type. It was really good and worth it for me the map was designed well also cool new models, sounds, menu screen and all of that stuff. I was punished by the church bell the first time playing I shot it like 20 times lol. Very cool monsters I like the wolf the most he is scary as hail never know where he is coming from. Thanks for this was very fun, will play again to. Great job.

Edit: I lowered my resolution and made non full screen, got a better result of fps not great but better so yeah it just my pc

This post has been edited by Duke64: 14 January 2015 - 02:42 PM

User is online   Mark 

It drops to about 28-30FPS in some spots with my older 9800gtx+ video card. I wanted to have rain too but it dragged things down another 4-5 FPS so I left it out. I'm glad you are enjoying the mod.

User is offline   Sixty Four 

• Turok Nukem

Yeah it's great man funny to, think you said forget looking for help i'm having to much fun killing these guys which was true lol. Also I know how it is with a map like this not many white walls to block off the different sections of the map so it's pretty full of sectors and sprites all in the vision, I had this trouble with a map I made to and yeah the rain effect probably would have been pushing it for lower end machines lol but I bet it would look great. Wish I could make a video but that will probably send my pc into meltdown hehe if anyone could that would be good idea. Know I kind of posted a lot but I do like this one :lol:
Edit: Didn't want to make new post but here some cool pics I got ;)
Spoiler

This post has been edited by Duke64: 15 January 2015 - 01:44 PM

User is online   Mark 

No videos from me. I'm too cheap to go and buy the full version of Fraps and I'm too lazy to join up with Youtube to post vids. :lol:

So instead of the rain effect I came up with the "fake fog" effect. I think it works pretty good with no big FPS hit.

This post has been edited by Mark.: 14 January 2015 - 06:36 PM

User is offline   LeoD 

• Duke4.net topic/3513

Looks fantastic! Dang, I'll have to wait until I can play on my own hardware again. :lol:

User is offline   chicken 

• Fashionable Modeler

Congratulations on the release, Mark!

And thanks a lot for the special mention in the credits.
It was fun to nag you with all those screenshots Posted Image

This post has been edited by chicken: 16 January 2015 - 06:47 AM

User is online   zykov eddy 

Music from the first level sounds strangely familiar...

User is online   Mark 

It should. :lol: I changed to that one not too long before release.

User is offline   Micky C 

• Honored Donor

Stuck in the first level. I've been in the room with the credits which didn't seem to have anything in it. Also been down that path where you had to kick the door which didn't seem to have anything down there either.

User is online   Mark 

Did you find the nun? She tells you a hint on what to do next.

The credits room originally lead to the rest of the map which got so big I needed to split it up into the second level. It is a dead end now. You will encounter that same area in the second map too.

This post has been edited by Mark.: 16 January 2015 - 04:17 PM

User is offline   Micky C 

• Honored Donor

I didn't find the nun, but I found a lot of secrets.

User is offline   sergey808a 

Very atmospheric mod. High graphics level, cool sounds. Thanks.
P.S. Blood map is awesome! This should be a remake of Blood game. Maybe you create it?

This post has been edited by sergey808a: 19 January 2015 - 01:46 PM

User is online   Mark 

Replies in the thread are fewer than what I was expecting. So I brought out my best fishing pole, baited the hook and now I'm fishing for any kind of feedback. What do you think worked good or not so good? Puzzles or secrets too hard or too easy? Weapon, ammo and enemy placement OK or not? Any suggestions for improvement? I want to hear from you about what you liked or didn't like so I can use that info for future projects.

If I don't hear from you I will assume you love it so much you are too busy playing to stop and leave glowing praise in the forum. OR it sucks so bad and you are keeping quiet because your mom always told you "If you can't say something nice, don't say anything at all". :lol:

This post has been edited by Mark.: 23 January 2015 - 05:09 PM

User is offline   faked 

I absolutely LOOOOOOVED it! :lol:

• Polymancer

I'm surprised this hasn't got more attention. I think its one of the few Polymer maps that actually is designed to work with the renderer and still be playable. It's also a shed load of fun and tries to do something different with the engine, with Duke and the game.

• Polymancer

Also, is that Nun related to 'The Penguin' from The Blues Brothers at all? I thought I saw a resemblance there.

User is online   Mark 

I should have put a big wooden ruler in her hand. :lol:

User is offline   Robman 

• Asswhipe [sic]

I have no idea how you made some of this stuff :lol:

I read the word "models" ... that could explain some things.

This post has been edited by Robman: 31 January 2015 - 07:06 PM

User is online   Mark 

I'll make sure you get an advanced copy when I publish my memoirs. :lol:

User is offline   DavoX 

• Honored Donor

Great maps man! Had a little difficulty going around in the dark and finding where to go next but it was fun :lol: Very well designed as well!

Share this topic:

• 4 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options