Duke4.net Forums: The Original Strife: Veteran Edition - Duke4.net Forums

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

The Original Strife: Veteran Edition  "Original Topic: Night Dive Studios acquires Strife?"

User is offline   Lunick 

Posted Image
Launching onto Steam on the 12th of December.

The Original Strife is back!
Hailed as the original FPS-RPG game that spawned countless imitators, Strife: Veteran Edition is a love letter to the classic from 1996.

New Features Include:

Support for high resolutions, with proper aspect ratio.
OpenGL for video backend to provide portability and support for vertical sync.
Dynamic lighting and bloom
Widescreen support.
Ability to freely rebind all keyboard, mouse, and gamepad inputs.
Steam Achievements
Steam Trading Cards

Completion of missing and unfinished options in the original game, such as:

The planned "Capture the Chalice” multi-player mode.
Marking of current objectives on the auto-map.
Special HUD for the Torpedo weapon

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Original Post:
Spoiler

This post has been edited by Lunick: 10 December 2014 - 06:53 PM

User is offline   Micky C 

• Honored Donor

Could be interesting.

Never played Strife much myself though. It feels a bit too dated to get into.

Haven't actually heard of Night Dive Studios.

This post has been edited by Micky C: 05 December 2014 - 10:28 PM

User is offline   Lunick 

View PostMicky C, on 05 December 2014 - 10:23 PM, said:

Haven't actually heard of Night Dive Studios.

I'm sure you have http://store.steampo...0Dive%20Studios

Nice! Let's hoping that Night Dive Studios acquires Powerslave (Exhumed in Europe) and an unknown DOS game Vinyl Goddess from Mars.

User is offline   Daedolon 

• Ancient Blood God

Holy fucking shit.

User is offline   Hendricks266 

• Weaponized Autism

View PostDustFalcon85, on 06 December 2014 - 07:35 AM, said:

Let's hoping that Night Dive Studios acquires Powerslave (Exhumed in Europe)

No, let's not.

User is offline   Jimmy 

• Let's go Brandon!

Those blurry screens are definitely Strife. Hopefully they managed to find a source code.

User is offline   Micky C 

• Honored Donor

Is it just me or is there some diagonal shading going on in those screenshots, possibly fancy dynamic lighting?

Jimmy I thought by this point Strife has been sufficiently reverse-engineered to play completely normally, making the source code redundant for practical purposes?

User is offline   Jimmy 

• Let's go Brandon!

About 98%, it's mostly playable.

User is offline   HulkNukem 

I never actually heard of Strife until sometime in the past couple of years. The amount of stuff in it sounded nuts, and something I think 90's me would've loved.

Night Drive also introduced me to Eradicator and Redline, two not amazing but still awesome games I enjoyed. I have a belief that games that use sprites or low polygonal/less detailed graphics in the spirit of the 90's can still be amazing and it isn't just rose tinted glasses; I have no nostalgia for these games but I enjoy them a lot.

User is offline   Hajduk 

I'm guessing that tweet is a countdown, and the game will be released 5 weeks from when the tweet was sent, and from the other thread I guess the game will now use a modified Doom engine? I love this game but transitioning back to the classic FPS controls everytime I play it take some getting used to so out of the box mouse + WASD controls would be great.

This post has been edited by Hajduk: 08 December 2014 - 11:57 AM

User is offline   MrBlackCat 

Strife was not a "great" game, but for DooM engine stuff of the time, it had some really good ideas... I might think of it compared metaphorically to a movie that wasn't so good, but it had many good ideas that were smart and interesting, but as a whole, they didn't come together well as a whole game.

It was rather "hard" as I remember. I have not played it in years, but I bought it as soon as it became available. The old claim of "200 Square Miles" the game covers is an error however. I don't know how that started, but having played the game I can tell you that it simply isn't that big. All I could ever figures from that claim was that by the time you complete the game you will have covered that much area because of traveling back and forth, but even that would seem a really over the top claim... unless I missed a 180 square mile secret area, I don't think that statement is accurate.

I don't really know if I can say how popular the game was back in the day, but I was always under the impression that it didn't do well. Just basing that off how many people I remember actually owning it when it was "on the shelves".

I really have no comment on it being re-made, but I would think it would make a great game if ported to handhelds of today, being kind of a hybrid shooter/RPG type game. I guess for 3DS and Vita it would have to be graphically updated a good bit, but if it was out for DS, I would re-buy it on that platform so I could work my way back through it. 320x240 is pretty brutal today, but is still higher than the DS screens, so the pixelation is not much worse that many of the DS games I play daily. On a PC, I play games like this on a 14" VGA monitor usually. On my normal 21, the pixelation is harsh enough to be distracting.

Anyway... I don't see why the game couldn't be re-done into a modern game and sell. The opening story could be expanded on in many ways with modern tech. :)

MrBlackCat

This post has been edited by MrBlackCat: 07 December 2014 - 11:22 AM

User is offline   Fox 

• Fraka kaka kaka kaka-kow!

View PostMrBlackCat, on 07 December 2014 - 11:21 AM, said:

It was rather "hard" as I remember. I have not played it in years, but I bought it as soon as it became available. The old claim of "200 Square Miles" the game covers is an error however. I don't know how that started, but having played the game I can tell you that it simply isn't that big. All I could ever figures from that claim was that by the time you complete the game you will have covered that much area because of traveling back and forth, but even that would seem a really over the top claim... unless I missed a 180 square mile secret area, I don't think that statement is accurate.

The Doom map editor area is of 65536 units, and based on the height of the Doomguy (56 units) and aspect ratio distortion, that value could be roughly converted to 1536 meters, which equals 0.95 miles. So Doom maps are limited (i.e. not necessarily as big as) 0.91 square miles, meaning that the 29 levels of Strife should have less than 26.41 square miles.

This post has been edited by Fox: 07 December 2014 - 11:39 AM

User is offline   MrBlackCat 

View PostFox, on 07 December 2014 - 11:39 AM, said:

The Doom map editor area is of 65536 units, and based on the height of the Doomguy (56 units) and aspect ratio distortion, that value could be roughly converted to 1536 meters, which equals 0.95 miles. So Doom maps are limited (i.e. not necessarily as big as) 0.91 square miles, meaning that the 29 levels of Strife should have less than 26.41 square miles.
Interesting... I don't think I ever knew the potential area of the maps of DooM, but I made very few maps back then.
That makes MUCH more sense. Maybe it was just a typo for 20 rather than 200? It is actually on the back of the retail box as 200 square miles. Even 20 would be pushing it in my opinion. I am thinking less than half that.

MrBlackCat

View PostHendricks266, on 06 December 2014 - 12:02 PM, said:

No, let's not.

Better for the Powerslave IP to be left alone huh? Anyways. What would you like to see Night Dive Studios to pick up a IP whose legal status that's unclear at the moment? System Shock 1 and/or something else? Would like to see SS1 on Steram and GOG.com.

View PostJimmy, on 06 December 2014 - 08:30 PM, said:

Those blurry screens are definitely Strife. Hopefully they managed to find a source code.

It could be. We'll have to wait and see if the source code to Strife (that thought to be lost for good) is finally found or not.

This post has been edited by DustFalcon85: 09 December 2014 - 11:39 AM

User is offline   Hendricks266 

• Weaponized Autism

View PostDustFalcon85, on 07 December 2014 - 10:04 PM, said:

Better for the Powerslave IP to left alone huh?

Better for--/mouth covered with pillow

User is offline   Fox 

• Fraka kaka kaka kaka-kow!

View PostMrBlackCat, on 07 December 2014 - 01:36 PM, said:

Interesting... I don't think I ever knew the potential area of the maps of DooM, but I made very few maps back then.
That makes MUCH more sense. Maybe it was just a typo for 20 rather than 200? It is actually on the back of the retail box as 200 square miles. Even 20 would be pushing it in my opinion. I am thinking less than half that.

MrBlackCat

In a practical sense, it shouldn't be nowhere close to that. I used the limit of the map editor grid to prove it wouldn't be possible, but the engine wouldn't even read a map that big. One square mile is a ridiculously large area for a game like Doom, and the maps generally have less than 1/100 of that. An area of 0.1 square mile is a more reasonable estimation for Strife.

This post has been edited by Fox: 07 December 2014 - 11:24 PM

User is offline   Lunick 

http://www.doomworld...766#post1326766
Posted Image

This post has been edited by Lunick: 08 December 2014 - 05:32 AM

Good god, what is wrong with the rendering engine? It looks all blurry and washed out.

Strife. I broke out my copy a while ago to laugh at all the crappy dialog, it's a fun game and has some technically impressive features for a Doom engine game.

User is offline   Lunick 

The logo seems to be some sort of countdown: https://twitter.com/...054022820003840
Posted Image

User is offline   Striker 

• Auramancer

View PostHigh Treason, on 08 December 2014 - 09:53 PM, said:

Good god, what is wrong with the rendering engine? It looks all blurry and washed out.

Strife. I broke out my copy a while ago to laugh at all the crappy dialog, it's a fun game and has some technically impressive features for a Doom engine game.

Nothing is wrong, the screenshot was probably just scaled down to a very low resolution (320x200) with linear or cubic filtering, and then scaled back up without filtering.

As seen here:
Posted Image

This post has been edited by StrikerMan780: 09 December 2014 - 08:39 AM

User is offline   Hajduk 

I didn't play much multi-player Strife, but there were team based game modes? And I don't recognize the map, I don't even remember if it had multi-player only maps. How shameful that I don't know any of that, considering I still have two physical copies, I never uninstalled the game, and I play through it every year. =/

• Auramancer

Fuck. The Hell. Yes.

http://store.steampo...com/app/317040/

Looks like Kaiser was working with Night Dive all along.

This post has been edited by StrikerMan780: 10 December 2014 - 05:10 PM

User is offline   Outtagum 

Comparison gifs: https://imgur.com/a/BoRM5

User is offline   Lunick 

Thanks for the links guys, changed the original post up. This looks pretty sweet :)

• Auramancer

Dat gorgeous quake-style baked lightmapping.

User is offline   ReaperMan 

Does anyone know if this new release fixes any of the cheap story deaths in this game?

• Auramancer

View PostReaperMan, on 10 December 2014 - 07:21 PM, said:

Does anyone know if this new release fixes any of the cheap story deaths in this game?

Probably not. There's only really one of those anyway, and that's if you listen to Harris, when he asks you to get the Chalice. Don't talk to him.

For anyone uninitiated, or has only played Strife briefly, I highly recommend checking out Ross Scott's review of the game:

EDIT: Harris, not Beldin...

This post has been edited by StrikerMan780: 12 December 2014 - 09:09 AM

User is offline   ZedSlayer 

Very nice, I would have never thought that Strife of all games could be brought back like this. I suppose this give more hope to other 'lost' games of the past getting a second chance.

User is offline   Lunick 

It uses a heavily modified Chocolate Strife:
Posted Image

This post has been edited by Lunick: 10 December 2014 - 08:28 PM

Share this topic:

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options