Duke4.net Forums: [Release] Turok 2 - Duke4.net Forums

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

[Release] Turok 2  "2nd map in the series"

User is offline   JoJo the Idiot Circus Boy 

• Steven Shitlord

I played the turok 2 coop map numbers of times, makes me want an part 3 of it.

This post has been edited by Duke64 Galactic Alliance: 16 December 2014 - 05:10 AM

User is offline   Sixty Four 

• Turok Nukem

Thanks a lot for the feedback meant alot on those days to read some people enjoyed it as I was having a hard time :) As for Turok 3 oh it's in the making and honestly not even I can say if I would stop at 3 because I enjoy making these type and style of maps so much. I somehow can keep making a setting/theme based on Turok over and over but somehow different l love to make outside areas with trees, caves, rocks, mountains, and temples. It's been fun adding to the series one by one in this fashion for all I know I could end up with a Turok 10 xD But I know for a fact there will be a 3rd map to this no doubt about it.

This post has been edited by Duke64: 16 December 2014 - 09:26 AM

User is offline   Micky C 

• Honored Donor

Played through both maps over the last day or two. While they're solid maps, I don't think Turok 2 is significantly better than the first one like a lot of people here have claimed. In fact, I think the second one was too switch and keycard-oriented, and I don't recall the first one being so bad in that respect. The player shouldn't need to press so many switches IMO. That concept also ruined Dogville for me despite it being a very well designed map. Turok 2 also seems to have done a lot of copy and paste with regards to hallways, which isn't the best thing since it makes navigating the map more difficult if lots of places look the same, and similarly it hampers the sense of progression because it never looks like you're really reaching anything new. Likewise the bigger areas didn't look that much different from each other either. While shading in some areas looked solid, in other areas it was lacking and could have used a few more shadows and/or wall shading. Also found some small texture problems like misallignments and IIRC the wall that moved down with the red keycard didn't have the texture move with it.

On the plus side, it has a bit of vertical action which is nice, and the ammo/health/enemy ratio was ok. The first Turok left more of an impression though, maybe because that one was fresh while this is sort of more-of-the-same, not sure. I'll try the Painkiller map some time since that map looks like it has more character, although judging from the screenshots it could use some serious shading as well. Maybe I'll try and get polymer working, where the dynamic lights should help out with shading and atmosphere.

Edit: Played Painkiller. As I expected the polymer lighting really helped out, although the framerate was between 10-15 fps due to the openness of the map (IMO it was worth the sacrifice). Another solid map, however I felt that both maps were fairly anticlimactic at the end; i.e I expected a difficult fight or boss to finish up the map and both times got nothing.
Some friendly advice; other than shading I think something you could focus on a bit more is implementing a sense that combat is getting more difficult as you play through the map. The maps seemed to have a fairly constant flow of similarly difficult enemies. Try mixing things up and building the maps around the combat a bit more. Throw in some high and low points of combat; build up to some difficult encounters, then give the player a rest, only to start building up again.
There are probably a few maps that do this well, but one that comes to mind is CPB 8: Metropolitan Starlight (you'll need eduke32 to play it). If you haven't already, give it a go, as it's got a few examples of some difficult fights (all in different situations and settings, great variety!) and always gives the player some room to breath afterwards. The only complaint is that it's got perhaps a few too many enforcers.

This post has been edited by Micky C: 16 December 2014 - 08:29 PM

• Turok Nukem

Hell I am just glad you played the maps oh yeah that right Micky mapper of month who can't play maps that much due to time shortage and being busy played :) But I know what you mean by some of the battles could intensify as the map goes on but I am still trying to get that down pact as it's easy to go overboard and spam them and I don't want it to feel like I just spammed the aliens everywhere like some people tend to do (especially steam mapper) I try to place them planned and beautiful. I am fully against the hole survivor spam alien thing (although some seem to like that) so I think I put to much thought into not doing that and less into the battle intensity. But thanks that advice actually helps I should put less thought into not doing that and trust myself that I wont.

As for the copied hallways well that's more due to being based on Turok 1 level 5 "Catacombs" where it is almost a full hallway themed level. Plus I thought the hallways were so pretty that I would extend them, best hallway I ever made hehe I am proud of them. Yeah Turok 1 probably left more of an impression because it was a fresh feel but this was more define and clean then that one well just imo. As I said each map will be different type of game play and this one had more switches and puzzling while Turok 1 was more a forward continuation type of map.

Painkiller was a side project for Halloween that turned out much better then expected glad people liked it and again just happy you played it. I ran out of time on it since I wanted to post on Halloween but I did put about 3 weeks into it I started it around October 12th (my bday) which gave me 19 days. There will be more rare occasions that give me a time limit to finish a map for a holiday or special day :P

I think I have played alot of the CBP maps and that one sounds familiar I will have another look but I always liked the battle intensity that those projects had. Some of my favorites were JFCBP1, 1hourCBP2, and Crimson Moon:Suburban Hive 2 as you could almost play any of them to get an idea on how to make battle pick up then relax then pick up I really liked that feeling in Crimson Moon alot I know it takes a bit of concentration to get it right like that.

User is offline   Max Payne 

• Skinny little Russian liberal faggot

Very good one of the best I have ever seen the atmosphere the structure is so good.

User is offline   DotK3D 

Hello,

Thanks for the release.

I have just finished Turok 1 & 2 in difficulty 3. I hope you don't mind If I regroup feedbacks on the two maps here (and reply to old release treads ^^). I can split the post if you prefer, just tell me I'll edit it.

-> Turok 1 : I found the map very pleasant to play with an uncommon forest ambiance. I like the profusion of secrets, the gunfights and the overall level design. I had just enough ammo, but there's plenty of medpacks available. The map is pretty long I think.

I think the architecture, sprite work, texturing and shading quite simple, but it does the work, perhaps the textures are a bit repetitive. The originality it's the use of that green palette all over the map.
Something bothered me, I can't pinpoint the problem, perhaps the map is to dark or lack of contrast, but sometimes, I have found it was difficult to see what's happening.

Just a remark :
- Some misaligned wall textures

PS : What are the little floating rings in the waterfall part ? Will-'o-the-wisp ?

-> Turok 2 : As the first one, It was really pleasant to play, still I prefer Turok 1. The level design is different, It's "more compact", I don't have the feeling progressing in straight line. The end was a bit difficult for me, I was low on ammo (so much bullets to kill a battlelord :D).
About the mapping, all is better I think : lightning, shading, architecture (and trees ^^). Still the same problem for me about difficulty to see sometimes.

Just a few remarks :
- The "water ceilling" underwater texture is blue while the "water floor" out the water is green (Hope I am clear enough).
- As said before, the wall opening with the red keycard didn't have the texture moving with it.
- Not really watery for a water temple I think ^^.

I have nothing more to say, lots was said already.
Thanks again, I wait the third map, I am curious to play the whole episode.

This post has been edited by DotK3D: 15 September 2015 - 02:12 PM

• Turok Nukem

Thanks for the feedback.

Turok 1 was made a year and a half ago and Turok 2 is close to being a year now to. I think what I like to go for is a different scene then that found in the more common type of themes in user maps :)

Turok 3 map is already done though. Its taking a nap while I contemplate if i would share it. Imho its much much better then the first 2 but I hold it really close to me though.

Though a lot of the drama I have had has withered away its still in the air. All I do know is 2016 isn't far from here, im getting married oct 17th, I have interest in udk4, and I have made 12 from scratch maps for Dukey. That's similar to having a 12 gauge shotgun on my belt when it comes to level design :)

This post has been edited by 64Ghost: 14 September 2015 - 01:08 PM

User is offline   DotK3D 

Hello,

I just started to play maps from the forum a couple of weeks ago, I hope it's not a problem digging old stuff ^^, but since I am register here, I feel I had to (at least) give some feedback (for what it worth, I am just a player, I have never made serious mapping, just a few tries back in the old days ^^).

I also hope you'll release the last map with the first two as a episode, I'll be happy to play it (You can't tease me like that with the building you see at the end of Turok 2 map :) !) . I really like this kind of short episode. Perhaps you could add a link to Turok 1 map in the first post ?

I'll surely check your others maps on the forum later, but actually I explore maps from the topic " Good lesser-known user maps ".

PS : congrats for your marriage ^^.

Bye,
DotK3D

This post has been edited by DotK3D: 15 September 2015 - 02:13 PM

• Turok Nukem

I want to clarify while I am here I don't mean to sound like some jerk talking. But Turok 3 well the map started a long time ago november 2014 to be exact. Thing is, I am also working on a side episode atm. But I have more plans then I originally did for Turok so work for that will come after. But its a lot

This post has been edited by 64Ghost: 19 September 2015 - 07:10 AM

I just played both Turok maps, cool stuff! I like how your levels have a lot of well done fun jumping, makes them like a playground. :)

Also played your Mean Streets map, that's my fav, incredibly terrific map there.

• Turok Nukem

Hey thanks dood Mean streets is my second sp map but I put a lot into it trust me if you work hard and have a passion there's no doubts :) Ghost Town was the first sp map I went the simple way make a DM first as my first map. Honestly there's so much talent out there it kind of rubs off on you, when you try hard. Like people before I started mapping already set the tone I am just late to the party dood. Its like everyone has there specialty. But I been here since 97 and honestly my Turok 3 map is much better then Turok 1 and Turok 2 imo you might say wtf? xD :)

Ahh you remind me of the early days I remember those times just in shock that you are able to make maps for Duke I was ecstatic. Which is how I am feeling for my Turok atm but i still like Dukey, that never changes and never will.

This post has been edited by RIPGhost: 09 October 2015 - 10:18 PM

Hell yeah, I'd like to play that Turok 3 map sometime. No rush. :) Been rocking a lot of Duke maps, so many to check out.

User is offline   FistMarine 

edit

This post has been edited by FistMarine: 09 December 2016 - 10:49 AM

• Turok Nukem

Well I started putting this here :whistling: well look the Turok editor will be coming soon. Its time to wrap this baby up and move onto new projects. But that does not mean I am rushing this out and pushing it over the cliff. I hope you guys enjoy it its been quite some time imo. I got so much motives but it all starts with finishing this with the love I started it with :woot: So far I am the only one going into the credits hehe
http://www.moddb.com/mods/turok-nukem

This post has been edited by Sixty Four: 23 March 2016 - 08:30 PM

Share this topic:

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options